Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There seems to be a divide in Battle Buddies theory.  One, where we just head out to the woods and have fun hiking with good friends and get in shape, or the other where we stress/emphasize rankings/classes/certifications and the like.

I feel like we need to come together a bit for ABB to ever get off the ground.  Too loosey-goosey-hiking-fun-time and we'll lose hardchargers with practical skills.  Too BoyScouts-esque ridged curriculum and beauracracy and we'll lose a large segment of good folks just looking to improve things.

I really want this program to get off the ground guys.. but I'm worried that if y'all take a beaurocratic structured approach to this, you'll kill the fun that this could be, and thus kill off potential membership.  Let's try to meet in the middle, at least in regards to a ABB basic premise.

Edit for personal example:  I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast!  On the flipside, I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  No offense intended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what you've hear me preach when i hosted the hikes in the past.
Shiw up, hike.
Do it as heavy,as light as slow as you want.
But do it.
You'll meet cool folks and learn stuff.
Not just about your gear but what works for you and what doesnt.

Hell... ill host a hike a be dragging ass but having fun...way it should be.
No reason to get hung up on badges,flair or ranks, etc etc.
Go and have fun.
Quoted:
@Ben

question about qualification:  Does the 3 miles of hiking with a 25/35lbs. pack for Provisional rating qualify towards the cumulative "18 miles of qualifying hike distance" total for 3rd Class rating?

c.3rd Class
1.In order to achieve a 3rd Class rating, a Provisional member must;
-Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles, and
-Complete the above 3rd Class requirements while carrying a minimum 35lbs pack (dry weight, excluding water) and long gun, or 45lbs pack without long gun (Standard Hike Conditions).
There seems to be a divide in Battle Buddies theory.  One, where we just head out to the woods and have fun hiking with good friends and get in shape, or the other where we stress/emphasize rankings/classes/certifications and the like.

I feel like we need to come together a bit for ABB to ever get off the ground.  Too loosey-goosey-hiking-fun-time and we'll lose hardchargers with practical skills.  Too BoyScouts-esque ridged curriculum and beauracracy and we'll lose a large segment of good folks just looking to improve things.

I really want this program to get off the ground guys.. but I'm worried that if y'all take a beaurocratic structured approach to this, you'll kill the fun that this could be, and thus kill off potential membership.  Let's try to meet in the middle, at least in regards to a ABB basic premise.

Edit for personal example:  I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast!  On the flipside, I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  No offense intended.
Um. Hold up skippy.

Me and @bayeagle ( and others)  have history.
Long before VBB or ABB was a dream...a lone Florida man used to host hikes.
Only the hardcore best of the best billy goat eating types would show up...kinda lol
Meanwhile GD was to busy fighting over the type of " satchel " jack bauer used and will smiths pants in " i am legend ".
But meanwhile...brave men trudged through central Florida scrub lands in August.....slept under tarps in 20f temps......while others slept in the coolness of HVAC  controlled environments and shitted on a warm seat.

My outlook comes from those events.

Im stoked to see that the current climate is getting folks off thier asses and networking and pulling together..
In glad younger guys are getting it going.
We all dont have to agree on everything.
But what we do need is for guys to step up.
Show up to hikes/events.
Host ones in thier area and get to know your fellow arfcomrs.

Dont try to cause a riff using my qoute to bayeagleto your benifit.

Eta:
Yeah added a lil flair to it..but damn if arf didnt jizz over will smiths pants...lol
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There seems to be a divide in Battle Buddies theory.  One, where we just head out to the woods and have fun hiking with good friends to get in shape and learn or the flipside where we stress/emphasize rankings/classes/certifications/merit badges and the like.

Edit for personal example:  I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast!  On the flipside, I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  Im sure others may feel the opposite.  No offense intended.
View Quote
We have found a bit of concern about an ambitious program in SC.  I don't know where to go with it right now.  It sounds like the hiking may just be too much for some folks to tackle.  I see that as a cornerstone of the BB program. Fitness.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Use this as an opportunity to find people:
1. at similar fitness levels to train with.
2. people with technical/tactical skills to learn from.
3. people of like mind to be friends with.
4. insert benefit here.

Stop worrying about where you will rate.

Fuck. I think people over complicate things just so they don’t have to commit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast... while I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  Im sure others may feel the opposite.  No offense intended.
View Quote
This is the upside of a small group structure.  You can find the group that best matches your temperament and motivation.  As long as each group is moving forward it's totally cool to have the hard chargers and the more laid back folks separate.  Once again - that doesn't mean that a group can get lazy - it's all about the pace of improvement over time.

I'm in 100%.  Took my backpack out for another walk today - I'm 50 and had a heart attack 2 years ago and I easily beat down the provisional times.  We can do this!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Only the hardcore best of the best billy goat eating types would show up...kinda lol
Meanwhile GD was to busy fighting over the type of " satchel " jack bauer used and will smiths pants in " i am legend ".
But meanwhile...brave men trudged through central Florida scrub lands in August.....slept under tarps in 20f temps......while others slept in the coolness of HVAC  controlled environments and shitted on a warm seat.

Im stoked to see that the current climate is getting folks off thier asses and networking and pulling together..
Show up to hikes/events.

View Quote
Not trying to cause a riff my friend, honestly.  I just want this program to succeed.  I'm afraid that if ABB becomes too structured it will overwhelm the guy with a casual interest, and thus be closed off to the idea right off the bat.

Someone who clicks on this thread is immediately bombarded with rankings/classes/certifications  and grading criteria, which may be prudent, but can also be a bit too much for the average guy to want to invest in right off the bat.  All that I'm trying to say is that ABB needs to appeal to all personality types, not just the mission-oriented alphas.  I worry that ABB is limiting our pledge pool by narrowly focusing on institutional burocracy.  To what degree said beauracracy is prudent is what I'm trying to figure out.

Don't feel like I'm hating on this concept, I just think it can be tweaked a bit to garner more support that's all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Use this as an opportunity to find people:
1. at similar fitness levels to train with.
2. people with technical/tactical skills to learn from.
3. people of like mind to be friends with.
4. insert benefit here.

Stop worrying about where you will rate.

Fuck. I think people over complicate things just so they don't have to commit.
View Quote
This 100%.  Just get out there.  If the guys in your local group are snake eaters and you're not into that find some other way to contribute.  Are you a great map guy/gal?  Can you shoot and instruct?  Are you an excellent hunter or tracker?  Can you program radios?  Do you know first aid?

Stop making excuses.  Get out there and join a group and give what you can.  If it doesn't work out create a new group that's more to your liking - just KEEP MOVING AND IMPROVING!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There seems to be a divide in Battle Buddies theory.  One, where we just head out to the woods and have fun hiking with good friends to get in shape and learn or the other where we stress/emphasize rankings/classes/certifications/merit badges and the like.

View Quote
Get both

But you do bring up a good point.  I had sort of assumed that a group would end up having both types of guys in it and it would work out alright.  The hard chargers could do their thing and the more casual guys could do theirs, but most of it would still happen as a group.  But I also have a theory that a guy who shows up thinking that he's going to be pretty casual about it will start to get more serious when he sees the other cool stuff that's going on and gets some good natured, friendly, peer pressure that encourages him to step outside of his comfort zone.  I guess in order for this to work they'd have to be at least a few guys in each subgroup or I think your concerns would prove to be true, though.  But at the end of the day I'm just speculating since I don't have any experience with a Battle Buddies group.

I'm more of the hard charger type and I love setting goals, pushing myself, learning new skills, being a badass dude, etc., but not to the extent that I take myself too seriously or don't like to have fun.   The problem is that I can't get any of my local friends to do basically anything.  I can maybe get them to put together an AR or buy a Baofeng radio, but learning to shoot the AR or learning to use the radio are pretty much out of the question.  Actually having to DO something is too much for them.  This bums me out.  
I left Virginia thinking "I need battle buddies".  The cool thing is that a whole lot of other people left the rally thinking the exact same thing.  Hence the existence of this thread and all the other ones popping up in the HTF.  I need to make friends with guys who aren't afraid of physical activity, discomfort, learning new things, etc. I really want this to get off the ground, too.  This is cool stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Learning new stuff is fun.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I am afraid that the "get both" attitude may hurt the program.

You can't make everyone happy every time but you can piss everyone off all the time...

There needs to be a set construct and those that are interested will come to it if they are interested.  Cola Warrior is prime example.  It isn't watered down to make everyone happy, in fact the crowd that participates does not want it watered down and failing is part of the game.  That crowd NEVER complains about it being to hard and always just say next time I will "suck less".

I am in the "well that sucked, next time I will strive to suck less" kind of guy.

The other type of crowd is all...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We have found a bit of concern about an ambitious program in SC.  I don't know where to go with it right now.  It sounds like the hiking may just be too much for some folks to tackle.  I see that as a cornerstone of the BB program. Fitness.  
View Quote
Hiking leads to fitness.  Going into 2019, my body was a wreck for a bunch of reasons.  Pretty much the only exercise I could do was walking, then elliptical, then hiking.   That was before the NBB rucks started popping up.  Helped me knock of a significant number of pounds.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There seems to be a divide in Battle Buddies theory.  One, where we just head out to the woods and have fun hiking with good friends to get in shape and learn or the flipside where we stress/emphasize rankings/classes/certifications/merit badges and the like.

Edit for personal example:  I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast!  On the flipside, I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  Im sure others may feel the opposite.  No offense intended.
Erik I’ve been think about it as far as SC goes.
Let’s get a date and set up the hike.  If we lead others may follow.
Over thinking things and trying to be everything to everyone is impossible.  If we can get the ball rolling good things will happen and I honestly think everyone with a desire to precipitate will find their place.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:21:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Erik I’ve been think about it as far as SC goes.
Let’s get a date and set up the hike.  If we lead others may follow.
Over thinking things and trying to be everything to everyone is impossible.  If we can get the ball rolling good things will happen and I honestly think everyone with a desire to precipitate will find their place.  
View Quote
First weekend in April.  At Poinsett as I mentioned, location is in the middle.  Maybe if we build it, they will come...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can't make everyone happy every time but you can piss everyone off all the time...

There needs to be a set construct and those that are interested will come to it if they are interested.  Cola Warrior is prime example.  It isn't watered down to make everyone happy, in fact the crowd that participates does not want it watered down and failing is part of the game.  That crowd NEVER complains about it being to hard and always just say next time I will "suck less".

I am in the "well that sucked, next time I will strive to suck less" kind of guy.

View Quote
Cola is a good example of overcoming obstacle 0. Just show up and try. Suffer. Train. Get better next time. Suffer more. Repeat.

But you don’t have to wait until you are “x” fit to try. You will just suffer more.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not trying to cause a riff my friend, honestly.  I just want this program to succeed.  I'm afraid that if ABB becomes too structured it will overwhelm the guy with a casual interest, and thus be closed off to the idea right off the bat.

Someone who clicks on this thread is immediately bombarded with rankings/classes/certifications  and grading criteria, which may be prudent, but can also be a bit too much for the average guy to want to invest in right off the bat.  All that I'm trying to say is that ABB needs to appeal to all personality types, not just the mission-oriented alphas.  I worry that ABB is limiting our pledge pool by narrowly focusing on institutional burocracy.  To what degree said beauracracy is prudent is what I'm trying to figure out.

Don't feel like I'm hating on this concept, I just think it can be tweaked a bit to garner more support that's all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

Maybe this isn't the group for people with a casual interest. To me, it comes off as a pretty serious group of people trying to get together and actually work. Not to meet up, sit around and drink beer all day talking about bullshit.

I could be wrong though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#15]
It would be pretty cool if folks could stop projecting their unfounded concerns. Many guys who have been in on it for awhile have told you how it is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think you're correct.  The "get both" was more of a GD joke.  I absolutely think that ABB should be mission oriented and the standards should NOT be relaxed for "broader appeal".  Broader appeal destroys things that were once cool.  Cola Warrior would suck if it was diluted to make it more approachable to the masses.  I don't have any peeps in my avatar yet but I ran Flyover Too last year.  Raddest thing I've ever done....except for maybe the VBB/Silent Brigade/Rattlesnake Rally.  That was pretty rad, too.
I guess the point that I've been trying to make in my last few posts (which may have seemed like I was arguing for a warmer, fuzzier, Battle Buddies) was that people who aren't sold on the idea should still show up and give it a shot because I think they'd be motivated to "suck less" when they see what's going on. And that there might also be a place in ABB for folks who can't meet the standard but still want to help.  Since meeting people/networking/getting people working together is also a goal of the ABB I think it's good to encourage folks to come see what it's all about.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe this isn't the group for people with a casual interest. To me, it comes off as a pretty serious group of people trying to get together and actually work. Not to meet up, sit around and drink beer all day talking about bullshit.

I could be wrong though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

I could be wrong though.
That is certainly how it seems. Doesn’t sound like a social club.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Edit for personal example:  I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast... while I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  Im sure others may feel the opposite.  No offense intended.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what you've hear me preach when i hosted the hikes in the past.
Shiw up, hike.
Do it as heavy,as light as slow as you want.
But do it.
You'll meet cool folks and learn stuff.
Not just about your gear but what works for you and what doesnt.

Hell... ill host a hike a be dragging ass but having fun...way it should be.
No reason to get hung up on badges,flair or ranks, etc etc.
Go and have fun.
Quoted:
@Ben

question about qualification:  Does the 3 miles of hiking with a 25/35lbs. pack for Provisional rating qualify towards the cumulative "18 miles of qualifying hike distance" total for 3rd Class rating?

c.3rd Class
1.In order to achieve a 3rd Class rating, a Provisional member must;
-Within 90 days of their first hike, complete at least two additional hikes, each covering a minimum of 6 miles while maintaining an average pace of no less than 3mph (including any rest time),
-Have completed cumulatively 18 miles of qualifying hike distance, not including any hikes of a distance less than 3 miles, and
-Complete the above 3rd Class requirements while carrying a minimum 35lbs pack (dry weight, excluding water) and long gun, or 45lbs pack without long gun (Standard Hike Conditions).

Edit for personal example:  I would love to join protus's group, sounds like a blast... while I would avoid sparticus/ben's group like the plague.  Im sure others may feel the opposite.  No offense intended.
When I was in Boy Scouts there was a similar divide; that org is (was?) structured so that kids who weren't into the structure could "tread water" in the lower ranks without too much difficulty & still not miss out on most of the unique Scouting opportunities (hikes, camping, Boy Scout camps, troop sports, meeting folks, etc).  Many guys poured their all into the high adventure stuff, but couldn't be bothered to complete their Citizenship merit badge.  The org was fully capable of supporting both mindsets in building young men.

Quoted:
Seems to me this can be taken as seriously or lightly as one desires. I imagined the general tone will be set on a group by group basis, but the framework laid out looks like it will work pretty well for the varying levels of commitment we’re sure to see.
Basically this.  Group by group, but there also needs to be a way for folks who wish to progress or 'stagnate*' regardless the group, without them feeling they don't have a place --simply because there won't be a ton of ABB group options for any given person for a while in the best scenario.

*it's not really 'stagnation' if you're still actively engaged with the group, just not climbing ranks diligently

Scouts had all those manuals, which made it easy for folks to both set up groups per their fancy within a set framework, as well as for kids to progress through the structured stuff even if the troop wasn't similarly focused; Ben & the rest are working on similar published guidelines as we speak, and this thread is kind of the first edition.  Once the rules are 'settled' for a bit & there's less uncertainty, I imagine it will become easier & easier for folks to join in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I could be wrong though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

I could be wrong though.
I guess it just boils down to what the core principles of ABB really is.  Either a smaller cadre of devoted enthusiasts, or a larger yet less capable group.

I argue that it doesn't have to be one or the other... but if ABB turns into former and not the latter, I wouldn't be suprised if we had a comparatively small following.  If we really are trying to improve readiness, preparedness and 2A proficincy through group support, it seems like we would want numbers on our side.  Otherwise ABB is just an enthusiest's hobby group.

I know my opinion is loathed here, but take what I have to say in consideration that's all.  It'd be a shame if guys dismissed the idea of ABB as crossfitting boyscouts with guns, as it has the potential to do great things for everyone.   We just have to be cautious not to become "bros"
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess it just boils down to what the core principles of ABB really is.  Either a smaller cadre of devoted enthusiasts, or a larger yet less capable group.

I argue that it doesn't have to be one or the other... but if ABB turns into former and not the latter, I wouldn't be suprised if we had a comparatively small following.  If we really are trying to improve readiness, preparedness and 2A proficincy through group support, it seems like we would want numbers on our side.  Otherwise ABB is just an enthusiest's hobby group.

I know my opinion is loathed here, but take what I have to say in consideration that's all.  It'd be a shame if guys dismissed the idea of ABB as crossfitting boyscouts with guns, as it has the potential to do great things for everyone.   We just have to be cautious not to become "bros"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

I could be wrong though.

Sounds like millennials need a “junior” subgroup.

IMO it should strive for excellence, not participation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll let you guys fret over the details. There's already a local group forming in the KY HTF. Whenever it's time I'm just going to show up and participate.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

I could be wrong though.

In what capacity will ABB be more valuable to our community as a whole?  As a all-ranks improvement program, or a niche enclave of enthusiasts?  You obviously want ABB to be your conduit for personal competition and challenge, others want it to be for community-as-a-whole improvement.

Both have their merits... but I still doubt it has to be one or the other.  ABB can represent our community as a whole, while also retaining a internal structure for the box-checker types... similar to the boy scout post above.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In what capacity will ABB be more valuable to our community as a whole?  As a all-ranks improvement program, or a niche enclave of enthusiasts?

Both have their merits... but I still doubt it has to be one or the other.  ABB can represent our community as a whole, while also retaining a internal structure for the box-checker types... similar to the boy scout post above.
View Quote
DT, you keep trying to make this conversation happen.

Look at the photos of the Rattlesnake Rally for 5 minutes. Pay attention to the men and women with yellow caution tape and Silent Brigade patches.

Those folks kicked ass, took names, and many of them knew each other through the BB program.

If you call that group a “nice enclave of enthusiasts” and think that’s some sort of negative, I don’t really know if you will ever be satisfied with what Ben is trying to do here.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

I could be wrong though.

(I think that's what the ranks are for )
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:10:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In what capacity will ABB be more valuable to our community as a whole?  As a all-ranks improvement program, or a niche enclave of enthusiasts?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

I could be wrong though.

I don’t really know or care as it pertains to the community. That’s for the leadership types. If the opportunity arises, I will participate and use it to gauge my own readiness and weak points. And adjust accordingly. The rank/rating isn’t important to me. But I’m selfish like that. The higher standards will motivate me to be better. Maybe. But lower standards would serve nothing. Hopefully I can find some way to contribute. Right now all I’ve got is heckling. Which has its value.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:11:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fuck. I think people over complicate things just so they don’t have to commit.
View Quote
I mean, yeah.

That's basically how getting people age 25+ to try any new activity goes.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um. Hold up skippy.

Show up to hikes/events.

I could be wrong though.

Correct. Which is why I like it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Look at the photos of the Rattlesnake Rally for 5 minutes. Pay attention to the men and women with yellow caution tape and Silent Brigade patches.

Those folks kicked ass, took names, and many of them knew each other through the BB program.

If you call that group a “nice enclave of enthusiasts” and think that’s some sort of negative, I don’t really know if you will ever be satisfied with what Ben is trying to do here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. It was inspiring. Wish I had made the time to go. But I pussed out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#30]
SCBB hike/ruck #1 scheduled and posted to the SCHTF thread.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It would be pretty cool if folks could stop projecting their unfounded concerns. Many guys who have been in on it for awhile have told you how it is.
View Quote
This.

Guys, just show up.  Do what you can.

We are here to support each other and grow.

Just show up.  That is 90% of the battle.

Just show up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fair enough, and yes the lobby day protest was simply amazing.  But to drive home my point, they were not there for personal challenges or some sense of internal excellence, they were there because of the community.  We are all members of the 2A community, and together the protest shown what we're capable of.  From the guy with just a picket sign to the Barrett dude.

We can either turn ABB into an individual competition of sorts, or a grassroots community betterment type of thing.

It seems like this thread has generally went the way of individual competition, and while I think it could be capeable of more, I respect the consensus.  Regardless how ABB materializes, I'll still be interested
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Arfcom/BB folks were impressive indeed, but it had a lot more to do with planning & preparation than physical fitness or even will (or even numbers, really; the NBBs were dwarfed by everyone but still got the most camera time because they moved together).  That's why I was content to hike in with the rest of the main pack as they passed by the various hotels, and melted into the crowd for the remainder with most of the other folks.  The beautiful thing about that day wasn't that the people there had achieved some higher level of greatness, it was that literally every type of person you could imagine was there, fighting for a common cause.  Obviously ABB doesn't strive for that extreme end of the spectrum, but that's not an argument for expecting its members to reside at the opposite end.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#34]
So in summary:

1. Show up. No backpacks, guns, or weight required. Merely encouraged.
2. If you want to pursue ratings/merit badges feel free to do so.

Result:

If you only do #1, you'll be more fit, feel better, and get to know some people you didn't know before.

If you want to challenge yourself, you can get more out of this. But nobody will make you. I don't want to say "nobody cares" because we do, but we won't think any less of you if you just walk along with us.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:16:43 AM EDT
[#35]
You guys have any use for medics?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.

Every hike starts off by asking who they are so if something happens we all know who to let take charge.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Absolutely. We call them out before every hike so the group knows who to go to in case we need a doc.

Eta: my battle buddy beat me by four minutes on the answer
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yes.

Every hike starts off by asking who they are so if something happens we all know who to let take charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Im currently trying to get something going on the Pa home forum.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Absolutely. We call them out before every hike so the group knows who to go to in case we need a doc.

Eta: my battle buddy beat me by four minutes on the answer
View Quote
Great minds brother.

Sic Semper Bonchon
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Im currently trying to get something going on the Pa home forum.
View Quote
Awesome! Depending how far it is from you, there is going to be another bigger(i think) hike down here at Manassas battlefield on 2/29.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#42]
As someone missing half a lung with severe respiratory and nasal passage deformities who also used to be 300lbs I can tell from a place of caring to stop being pussies and nut the fuck up.

If you can’t achieve your goals today you should bust ass so that you’re that much closer tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, and if you could bring an AED, O2 and some amiodarone, I'd appreciate it.
View Quote
Narcan also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Narcan also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Narcan also.
and some more of those testosterone/cocaine suppositories Aimless was bragging about.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Narcan also.
View Quote
And Scotch for the after party.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Narcan also.
A motorized scooter would be nice as well.

For the hike of course, I don't drink and drive.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
and some more of those testosterone/cocaine suppositories Aimless was bragging about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Narcan also.
Hey, you guys do what you want to in Florida, butt keep it there....
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh man I'm all out of Amiodarone.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Narcan also.
Go-Go plugs?
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top