Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/25/2013 10:03:58 AM EDT
There is a thread about whether people consider themselves English, and a lot of people said they were Scots-Irish.

This is a pretty ignored/unknown demographic, but it would probably be a majority here.  So sound off if you are Scots-Irish in this poll

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Will be in Ireland in less than 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Scots-Irish here, but I have been known to bubble in other and write Appalachain American on demographics forms.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Aye. See username.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep and on both sides of my family.

Plus Welsh, English, and regular Irish.

As well as two different Native American tribes for a
little seasoning.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]

I guess I have the Scottish part covered.

Apparently one of mine was part of the Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. He had his choice at trial in London: Death, or,  Banished to the colony.
He was not an indentured servant though. Once he hit the ground running he was a free dude and not long afterwards, he and his sons owned a few plantations.

*List of rebel prisoners imported by Capt Edwd Trafford, in the Elizabeth & Anne from Liverpole, Liverpool, England to Yorktown, Virginia
14 January 1716:

Silvester Prophet
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]
My birth surname family crest:

Was adopted at 11 and took my step-father/ adoptive father's surname.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What on earth is a  Scots-Irish?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Scots-Irish here, but I have been known to bubble in other and write Appalachain American on demographics forms.

Poor Scots who moved into Ulster to tame it with incentives by the British crown.  They found better prospects in the wilderness of the Appalachian mountains of America and moved there. The cheapest and most dangerous areas, because of the Indians. So they are Protestant, generally poor, but very independent and like to fight.   Country music and bluegrass music came from them, but they kept old English things like square dancing and some folk songs.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep and on both sides of my family.

Plus Welsh, English, and regular Irish.

little seasoning.
View Quote

This. Most Americans of European lineage from the 17-19th centuries that I know have been interbred to the point of not really having a defined ancestral heritage anymore.

Sure my mother's side was mostly poor Irish immigrant farmer/share croppers, and my fathers side was mostly English/Scots-Irish entrepreneurs; however, there are so many bits of Native American and every other northern European thrown in there that its muddy beyond recognition now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Scottish. Family history indicates our family was forced from Scotland by King James to Ireland for a lil bit untill they returned back to Scotland. But if you really wanted to get technical my Scottish relatives were probably of Norman descent said to arrive around 870 AD.

Edit: Seen it mentioned in the thread so I will add my mother was Cherokee.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#14]
My last name is Sims, a derivative of Symes and is Irish via Scotland and England. Not much connection and my family always identified more with their German-Swiss ancestry. It's interesting to know where I come from, but it's not who I am.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#15]
My Grandfather was born in Dalton, GA. and my Grandmother talked of having relatives that owned Slaves. So I thought we fought for the South, but as I was researching my family tree I found out that we came from a part of Tennesse that was heavily settled by Scots Irish. My Last name is like Smith and Jones in Scotland and Ireland so I'm going with Scot Irish.

By the way we fought for the North because the people in that part of Tenn did not believe in Slavery do to the fact that the Scots Irish have been forced into Slavery through out thier generations.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Scots-Irish, Scottish, English, "Regular" Irish, and German, roughly in that order.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
You might know them as Ulster Scots.

They are Ulster Scots who migrated to America.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Aah, you mean dirty Prod bastards
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard my name is very popular in Ulster and Leinster (sp?)

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My friend who lives in Dublin (who moved there from Anchorage and was a friend for years) visited Belfast, and he said he saw guys who resembled me everywhere.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#25]
I am Scotch-German.

Good enough?
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Black Irish

And Seminole Indian
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sorry but I've never heard of the Honorabledogs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry but I've never heard of the Honorabledogs
I'd say it but then you might really have a reason to think of me to have low moral character

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#28]
My ancestors raped, pillaged and subjugated your ancestors.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Like most people of western North Carolina who had family here before the Recent Unpleasantness, I am Scots-Irish.

I would heartily recommend reading and the watching Senator Jim Webb's "Born Fighting."

One day someone asked why America doesn't have a Scots-Irish month or holiday. I replied that we did. It's called the Forth of July.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Great-Granpa William came from the Aberdeen area of Scotland in the late 18 hundreds. Probably some Norseman and Saxon mixed in there somewhere.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Im 1/2 irish, 1/2 english and 1/2 german.

I love it when people start busting out the Im 1/16 shit
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lowland Scots, with the blessing of the British government, colonized what is now referred to as Northern Ireland way back when. A lot of these people settled in the Appalachian Mountains in the early 18th century.

In other words, you would call the Scots-Irish simply residents of Northern Ireland. We in America call them hillbillies, red necks and occasionally moonshiners. Some attempts are made to communicate with American Scots-Irish, but it is difficult since they don't speak real English and don't know how to write.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#33]
50% Irish Irish, My Mom is Irish, family from Cork. ,rest is European mutt
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are talking about the Vikings doing such to the habitants of Scotland you are wrong.

They came to Scotland and stayed to become what eventually would found America.

A member of my family traced us from North Carolina, to County Antrim in Northern Ireland, to Kirkwall in Orkney, Scotland. From there, the only logical leap is back to Scandinavia.  Every man in a direct line to me for 7 generations was within an inch or two of 6 feet tall, born with blonde hair that eventually turned brown, and had blue eyes.

The only people left in Scandinavia after the 15 th Century were the pussies too afraid to sail west.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#35]
English, scots & Irish with a sprinkle of Norman....The big blond Viking kind of Norman.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you are talking about the Vikings doing such to the habitants of Scotland you are wrong.

A member of my family traced us from North Carolina, to County Antrim in Northern Ireland, to Kirkwall in Orkney, Scotland. From there, the only logical leap is back to Scandinavia.  Every man in a direct line to me for 7 generations was within an inch or two of 6 feet tall, born with blonde hair that eventually turned brown, and had blue eyes.

The only people left in Scandinavia after the 15 th Century were the pussies too afraid to sail west.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#37]

While in Scotland, I was discussing my heritage and one of the Scottish lasses laughed and corrected me with "You're not any of those things - you're fucking American."

So, I guess that's what I am.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Manx/ Irish

My Grandfathers father and mother are from the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Families maiden name is Wallace.....Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#41]
American here, if people want to call themselves scottish they better be from scotland.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Ancestors were granted title and land in Ireland as an incentive by the English to leave Scotland in or about 1750.  Historical documents point to them being Border Reivers.

A few stayed in Ireland, and their ancestors remain to this day.   My offshoot of the family left Ireland in the very early 1800s, founded a plantation near Charlestown SC and another in Greene County, AL.   They then spread to Texas (still Mexico then) in the late 1820s, and were granted land there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#44]
On my mothers side, moonshining, alcoholism, banned tartans and violent behavior abound.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Ancestors settled in the Southeastern part of NC. Clan MacLeod & MacNeil mostly combined with some Irish, and a smattering of German & French to make things intersting. My mother started tracing our geneology and was doing just fine until she got into the predominantly Scots side. The family tree began to resemble a Kudzu vine.

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a drinking problem and large testicles....
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm Irish and I ain't got no haggis munching Jock in me
View Quote

Until you passout...
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#49]
little seasoning.
View Quote

Pawnee and Cree on one of the Branches of my Family tree, I am in touch with my family in Scotland, my Dad was born there..Read in a book that my family spread their seed all over the Earth,.....it is true
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
American here, if people want to call themselves scottish they better be from scotland.
View Quote

Agreed.It's annoying as shit when you meet people who were born in Oklahoma or some place babble on about how they're Irish.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top