Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wasnt able to find it in this thread, even though I KNOW someone posted it.  What is the complete series of books from beginning to end and are they good reads?  My new job allows me about 6 to 7 hours of reading time at night and all the books at work suck.
View Quote
There are 40-50 books in the Horus Heresy series alone, several of which are anthologies of short stories/novellas.  Some are good, some are bad.
I'd recommend checking out this rundown of the Horus Heresy book series to get a feel for them, but these are the first ten books (in order) to get you started:

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Flight of the Eisenstein
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels
Legion
Battle for the Abyss
Mechanicum
Tales of Heresy
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There are 40-50 books in the Horus Heresy series alone, several of which are anthologies of short stories/novellas.  Some are good, some are bad.
I'd recommend checking out this rundown of the Horus Heresy book series to get a feel for them, but these are the first ten books (in order) to get you started:

Horus Rising
False Gods
Galaxy in Flames
Flight of the Eisenstein
Fulgrim
Descent of Angels
Legion
Battle for the Abyss
Mechanicum
Tales of Heresy
View Quote
That was the list I was looking for.  Thanks!  I really like my hardcover books and doing a little research the hardcovers that are out there......wow.....the people that have them think they are made of gold.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Its really hard to describe everything but the basis is.

Some background.

During the 30K, the Emperor of Mankind has named his favored son, Horus as Warmaster while he goes back to Holy Terra to do whatever God Emperors do.  Horus nearly dies during a pacification of a system and basically pledges his soul to the Chaos gods to live on.  He convinces his brother legions to turn against the Emperor.  (9 out of the original 20 + a couple Titan Legions)

The World Bears traitor legion whom have pledged their service to Chaos (Khorne) in this video are attacking Calth, a World in Ultimar Segmentum under the protection of the 13th Legion, the Ultramarines (Sons of Guilliman).  Basically its like Peal Harbor in space.  An attempt to take out a very powerful army loyal to the Emperor in a surprise attack.  The traitors descend upon the world in drop pods and start killing everyone they can.  The Ultramarines (blue) rush to the defense of their world and people, including the a few company Champions, squads of Terminators and everyone they can find.  Near the end, the techmarines awaken a Contemptor Dreadnought (They basically sleep until needed, this guys probably been sleeping awhile and seeing Astartes vs Astartes is unthinkable, so hes pissed - plus he has a Plasma Cannon and hundreds of years of killing experience on his side.

At the end there are a pair of Warhound Scout titans.  Hard to tell if they are traitor but I believe they are.  Horus gets bored and basically lets these guys roam around in packs killing civilians and military targets at their leisure since it takes a city leveling amount of firepower to bring one down - or a bigger titan.  Those are the little guys and cant survive orbital bombardment like the larger Warlords and Emperor Class titans.

This battle killed 100,000 Ultramarines.

While all this land warfare is happening, in orbit a massive battle between the loyalist ships vs the traitor ships and demons rages on resulting in the destruction of the Furious Abyss.  (One of 3 super OMG capital warships built in secret for the traitor legions that can destroy planets without batting an eye)

So thats a very small needle in a very large haystack of 30K - The Horus heresy that eventually leads up to the current 40K universe with the God Emperor confined to the golden throne where he sucks the lifeforce out of a 1000 psychics every day to live and power the Astronomican.  (Basically an ungodly bright light house in the Void that allows Warp Travel).

The Horus heresy led to somewhere around 5 Trillion killed.
View Quote
Thank you for that!
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was the list I was looking for.  Thanks!  I really like my hardcover books and doing a little research the hardcovers that are out there......wow.....the people that have them think they are made of gold.
View Quote
second hand stores, facebook, and ebay you can find lots of them. I bought two bundles and got some dupes but a ton of books I did not have for less than a buck a book.

now and then humble bundle has the ebooks on sale for 40k.  sometimes amazon can be a deal sometimes not.

there also some audio books on cd, but they are fairly short and can be as pricey as the limited hardcovers sometimes.

every now and then black library either makes a omnibus or reprints some of the old books.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm tired of fucking politics.  What's everyone working on for 40k?  I'm just starting to paint about 3k-3.5k points of AdMech for a gaming weekend in January.  That 3k-3.5k includes a Baneblade that I'm going to take a shot at magnetizing so I can assemble all eight variants.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently GW crossed the rubicon with Blackstone Fortress.  At least one of the Men of Iron survived...

Oh, and the new Chaos Marine models in the set are Primaris sized.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I find this video to be flagrant false advertising.  Attractive women don't play GW games.  Although, I appreciate that they used the two painting video guys as the male participants.

How to Play – Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I find this video to be flagrant false advertising.  Attractive women don't play GW games.  Although, I appreciate that they used the two painting video guys as the male participants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THr3cB1n0VM
View Quote
1 chick 2 paintbrushes?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Apparently GW crossed the rubicon with Blackstone Fortress.  At least one of the Men of Iron survived...

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/BlackstoneExplorers-Nov7-Robot10rg.jpg
http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/menofiron-01.jpg
https://spikeybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ur-025-40k-stats.jpg
View Quote
Mini marines are a thing of the past.  GW demands that you embrace your new truescale marine overlords.  Of course this just implies that our vast collections of old marine models will probably squatted.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1 chick 2 paintbrushes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 chick 2 paintbrushes?

Alas, there is a second human female in the video, as well.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
OMG THAT REDHEAD
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OMG THAT REDHEAD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG THAT REDHEAD
She reminds me of the pro wrestler Becky Lynch, which is absolutely not a bad thing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I still don't want to play AoS, because they destroyed the world, but I do like the aesthetic of the new Nighthaunt stuff.

Working on painting up some Thousand Sons in a different color scheme (pre heresy) for Kill Team, and using old models as I do so.  They've been wrecking face.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:53:49 AM EDT
[#14]
not sure what I will work on first. I am moving right after christmas and will most likely wait till then to start building.  my cousin got me a box of burna boyz and a runtherdz .

would like a few of the newer ork kits and a baneblade and a valkyrie.  and some of the shiny gold dudes. and some 30k jet bikes or will try to scratch build some.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 1:59:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/BlackstoneExplorers-Nov7-Robot10rg.jpg
http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/menofiron-01.jpg
https://spikeybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/ur-025-40k-stats.jpg
View Quote
Noice, actually pretty sweet to finally find out more about the Men of Iron. Humanity must've been a Star Trek-level-tier civilization back before the warp fucked up everything.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I got the new Ork codex last week and now I'm finishing out my Goff horde.

Here's the Bonecrusha I just finished basecoating:

Attachment Attached File

I used some Baneblade parts to enclose the back end.  The guy on the left is my Big Mek in Mega Armour, his body is a Stormtalon engine with a Dreadnought sarcophagus stuck onto it. He has Deff Dread legs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I added three Basilisk and a Wyvern/Hydra to my Astra Militarum and did them up in the same pattern as everything else in my army:

I also realized I had glued in the top hatch on one of my Death Watch's Razorbacks, so I made a plug for it to be able to use it as a Rhino:

One of these days I'll get around to actually finishing stuff up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Today's game in the local Kill Team campaign was brutal.  I had only two flesh wounds on my team of five Thousand Sons, and took all 8 of his Astartes out of action.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:47:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm tired of fucking politics.  What's everyone working on for 40k?  I'm just starting to paint about 3k-3.5k points of AdMech for a gaming weekend in January.  That 3k-3.5k includes a Baneblade that I'm going to take a shot at magnetizing so I can assemble all eight variants.
View Quote
Well I'm seriously considering getting a Celestine model. I don't think I'll ever have a full 2k point army. I lose interest too quickly and move on to something else . First it was guard, then death guard, currently BA. When they release new sister models, I'll probably start on those.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget your old Arby's sammich terrain in the top left  Seriously though, what the hell is that?  
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't forget your old Arby's sammich terrain in the top left  Seriously though, what the hell is that?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Silly putty! That's what I used to mask off the camo before I sprayed it. It's about 5 different colors of putty with two different colors of spray in it.  Definitely doesn't look appetizing, I agree.

Base coated and silly putty applied:

After the khaki color is sprayed.  The two pics above are after I had removed the silly putty and just piled it up.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Imperial Sentinels charge a Greater Demon of Nurgle that has flanked their artillery.  M.42, Colourized

Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I took stock of my Ultramarine army last night.  I need to finish painting these bitches.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:09:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I took stock of my Ultramarine army last night.  I need to finish painting these bitches.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3655_JPG-738884.JPG
View Quote
Damn you have a lot of shit to paint with that one pot of wash.  Best of luck!
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#26]
The guy goes by WrathDT on Deviantart.

Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:03:19 AM EDT
[#27]
God I hate painting. So many times I wish I went Nid so I could cheat and do the mass white base then Minwax dip routine.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
God I hate painting. So many times I wish I went Nid so I could cheat and do the mass white base then Minwax dip routine.
View Quote
Agreed.  I hate doing infantry.  I actually generally enjoy doing all the vehicles.  I traded professionally painted Infinity army (that I paid a guy a stupid amount of money to do because...I hate painting infantry) to a local guy to paint all my IG infantry while I focus on the vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#29]
After this idea suddenly came to me and after painting this first guy, I think I'm abandoning the idea of my Mechanicum being painted as Ryza.

The as-yet unnamed forgeworld that this fella hails from has enormous deposits of copper, enough that the dominant color of the surface is the verdigris of oxidized copper.  The interior of the coat is Carroburg Crimson, to maintain the near requirement for red on Mechanicus troops.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Better lighting.

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Better lighting.

https://i.imgur.com/4ohkEIm.jpg
View Quote
Well done man.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Agreed.  I hate doing infantry.  I actually generally enjoy doing all the vehicles.  I traded professionally painted Infinity army (that I paid a guy a stupid amount of money to do because...I hate painting infantry) to a local guy to paint all my IG infantry while I focus on the vehicles.
View Quote
I have really been tempted to pay for painting. But I just don't really play anymore so it's not worth it. Still buy the newest edition books, poke around Portent/Warseer and Dakka and even make lists though.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#33]
So I've been out of the 40k game for a loooong time, but I've recently been feeling the need to scratch that itch and was wondering if playing kill teams is popular enough that it would be worth picking up a handful of models and painting them up real nice. I don't have the time (or money) to blow on building a proper army (or three) but this seems like it would be perfect since I'd still get my fix, but without as much of a commitment.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I've been out of the 40k game for a loooong time, but I've recently been feeling the need to scratch that itch and was wondering if playing kill teams is popular enough that it would be worth picking up a handful of models and painting them up real nice. I don't have the time (or money) to blow on building a proper army (or three) but this seems like it would be perfect since I'd still get my fix, but without as much of a commitment.
View Quote
I love Kill Team. I think it’s a good rule set that has all the feel of 40k with much, much lower model counts. Hell you can just get a 5 man Grey Knight box and have a very, very solid force.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Kill Team is fun, and requires a much smaller collection.   Pretty much anyone who plays 40k can build a Kill Team from the models they already own, so if anything the potential player pool for Kill Team is larger.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I love Kill Team. I think it’s a good rule set that has all the feel of 40k with much, much lower model counts. Hell you can just get a 5 man Grey Knight box and have a very, very solid force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well this might have gotten even cheaper, I have a small GK Force that I held on to when I sold off most of what I had.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well this might have gotten even cheaper, I have a small GK Force that I held on to when I sold off most of what I had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I didn't have a Deathwatch 40k army, I'd have bought a GK force and went to town.  They are the only army that gets storm bolters as standard (possibly at all, can't remember) along with their usual Nemesis force sword, and while you can only throw one psychic power a turn, every GK is a psycker, so you're extremely versatile. They're 18 points each for the basic dudes with the Justicar or the gunner being 1 point more.  With most KT games being 100 points, you can figure to have 5 minis on the board at most.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I've decided I want to field a 2,000 pt army consisting of nothing but a 50/50 mix of Ogryns, Ratling Snipers, and one Commissar just for laughs.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Another quick question, been perusing their website and I’m seeing these box sets that contain some units and terrain pieces along with a few other little things, worth considering?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I've decided I want to field a 2,000 pt army consisting of nothing but a 50/50 mix of Ogryns, Ratling Snipers, and one Commissar just for laughs.

What do you think?
View Quote
Would be fun. Not sure if that's a valid list
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:03:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Noice, actually pretty sweet to finally find out more about the Men of Iron. Humanity must've been a Star Trek-level-tier civilization back before the warp fucked up everything.
View Quote
I wish there was more information on pre-AoS and dark age of technology human civilization. Even if the long night and imperium causes much of the tech to be purged or lost, it seems some of the xenos would at least bring up that nice time when humies were cool dudes who didnt genocide everything and their technology was at its peak.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#42]
I just primed a bunch of Plague Marines and Blightlord Terminators today since it may be the last good priming weather day of the year. I've still got the T'au, Necron and Ork Kill Teams to build as well as Seraphon and Slaanesh armies for Sigmar. I'm eagerly awaiting the new Wrath and Rapture set, any news on a release day yet?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Another quick question, been perusing their website and I’m seeing these box sets that contain some units and terrain pieces along with a few other little things, worth considering?
View Quote
If it's the Kill Team box sets, as a means of trying out a new faction in Kill Team and getting some extra terrain pieces to provide cover for your team or to activate and deal some damage to your opponent's team, definitely.  You'll also get objective markers plus some stratagem cards for the faction not found in the core manual or the box of datacards.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If it's the Kill Team box sets, as a means of trying out a new faction in Kill Team and getting some extra terrain pieces to provide cover for your team or to activate and deal some damage to your opponent's team, definitely.  You'll also get objective markers plus some stratagem cards for the faction not found in the core manual or the box of datacards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah those, was contemplating grabbing the necron one because having a second kill team would be handy for trying to rope friends into trying the game.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wish there was more information on pre-AoS and dark age of technology human civilization. Even if the long night and imperium causes much of the tech to be purged or lost, it seems some of the xenos would at least bring up that nice time when humies were cool dudes who didnt genocide everything and their technology was at its peak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always assumed some rouge trader would find some pocket of humanity cut off by warp storms or returning from beyond the Galaxy with the good stuff

Seems like it could be a neat story line and perhaps a neet faction to add...but the Tau kinda filled this niche
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you think?
It would be valid for open play.  He just wouldn't get any CPs.

Bullgryns/Orgryns are fun with a priest in tow. Ratlings are flaming shit. T2 mean they get wounded on 2+ by anything with S4 (bolter, etc) or higher.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Normally the box sets (of any sort) are a decent deal.  They've started pricing them so that you get basically one thing for free.  Like the Astra Militarum start collecting you essentially get a squad for free.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Normally the box sets (of any sort) are a decent deal.  They've started pricing them so that you get basically one thing for free.  Like the Astra Militarum start collecting you essentially get a squad for free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same for Orks. For the price of a Deff Dread and a Painboy you get a mob of Boyz and 5 Nobz for free.

All of the new terrain sets are awesome.  Also be sure to check Ebay, you can get stuff new in box for around 10-25% off GW's prices.  I buy almost exclusively there, from sellers who typically have high-volume brick and mortar stores as well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#49]
the other nice thing about box sets, is on  ebay you can buy the squads from 20-35 bucks.  depending on what it is. many piece out the boxes. so if like you only wanted one unit its worth it to buy separately. that and some have two armies in them and if you say don't want the other its another option.  but they are a pretty good value. much much cooler models than 2nd edition had in the box set that is for sure.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#50]
I just bought the manual for Kill Team yesterday.  Me and my buds from high school are going to meet up and play like the old days.
I think I'll go Deathwatch, and purge some xenos.

Best,
JBR
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top