Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Trigger really is terrible. Moreso in double action, but single action is nothing wonderful either.

That (and the proprietary HK rail) aside, they are great guns.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I never understood people who make such a big deal about shooting off reset anyway. Plenty of competition shooters do full reset in including Leatham and Miculek so it's obviously not needed  no matter how much the internet wants to debate about it.

It reminds me a lot of the people that debate bore axis and I discount them accordingly.
View Quote
Just a comfort thing for me I suppose. I won’t question that HKs are better guns. I still own my p2000sk, but shot my Glock 21 better than my hk45c, and my Glock 19 better than my hk p30. As far as target shooting I shot my 1911 better than my expert.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Bullshit
View Quote
If you been around more than 10 years it aint bullshit. Them and Robinson Arms are on my do not buy list.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Everyone should own at least one each of the following
USP
G19

It’s just common sense gun ownership
View Quote
FS92
Sig P228
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Love the USP but love this more
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FS92
Sig P228
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone should own at least one each of the following
USP
G19

It’s just common sense gun ownership
FS92
Sig P228
Man you add to the list never take away
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Love my stainless USPc and USP Tactical. Sooner or later I’ll pick up an Expert and/or Wlite as well
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:41:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Spotty customer service and parts availability are another problem.
View Quote
Retarded statement by someone who doesn't own one and likely never has, mostly due to being poor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Trigger really is terrible. Moreso in double action, but single action is nothing wonderful either.

View Quote
That rail was cutting edge, when it first came out. No one else had a light/laser rail.

Instead of updating their USP they simply released new models with 1913 rails.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Retarded statement by someone who doesn't own one and likely never has, mostly due to being poor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Spotty customer service and parts availability are another problem.
HK service in USA used to suck but it was before an actual HK USA existence. Now they have a full on factory in USA and produce full rifles/pistols here.

Support and service for HK is fine now, buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Spare mag costs?

Maybe because I’m in CA and it’s all expensive, but my USP45 10 rounders were the same price as the Glocks - $30.

Triggers are well short of a 1911, but WAY better than any striker fired gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:00:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A USP40 full size converted to 10mm is about the funnest thing there is; perfect match of concussion, recoil, weight, and size.  The 40 (and I assume 9mm even more so) just seems wimpy for the size & weight of the gun, even if that obviously makes it easier to shoot in the practical sense.
View Quote
That’s intriguing. What mags does it use? Source for conversion barrels? I have a full size 40 and a pile of mags that I was thinking about dumping, but now you have my attention!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#13]
My dad was issued a USP compact in .40 for a couple of years. I really like the gun, it had an LEM trigger and shot pretty good. Never had a problem with it reliability wise.

I want one in 9mm, hopefully by the end of the year. As others have said the triggers leave something to be desired, even the match trigger on the Tactical isn't all that great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The HK45 and the HK45C are the reason not to buy a USP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:07:33 AM EDT
[#16]
My USP will be here tomorrow.

First USP, first HK gun I’ve owned.

I’ve been pining after one for so long!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:11:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My dad was issued a USP compact in .40 for a couple of years. I really like the gun, it had an LEM trigger and shot pretty good. Never had a problem with it reliability wise.

I want one in 9mm, hopefully by the end of the year. As others have said the triggers leave something to be desired, even the match trigger on the Tactical isn't all that great.
View Quote
INS/Border Patrol?

It was certainly better than the Beretta 96!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:24:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I was intrigued with the USP, until I owned 1 and shot it.
Awkward safety and turrible trigger.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Patton once said that the USP was the greatest battle implement ever devised.

True story.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]
None at all. GREAT pistols.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The USP's cousin is the MK23. Which is the most indestructible, extremely reliable, laser beam accurate pistol in the world. The USP is veeeeeeeeeeeeeery close in design to the MK23. So yeah, it's not just a "sample size of one".
View Quote
That's cool, I had no idea that they actual shared a similar design.

I've heard a couple stories of MK23s in Iraq used to handle barking critters, and street lights at night.....I'm inclined to believe the stories.   Either way, it's one of the coolest pistols ever in my book.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gray guns will do a solid trigger job for HK’s
View Quote
No they won't/don't.

Had them do one for me. Biggest waste of GD $$$ in my fucking life.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

trigger horrible as compared to glock, colt, beretta (best to good in that order)
View Quote
You lost ALL credibility when you claim Glock as having the best trigger.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Imagine a staple gun -- but just a little better.

On the plus side, you will never break it, or wear it out and you can use it as a club - should you run out of bullets.
View Quote
Bullocks.

The USP out of the gate is abit stiff, it dramatically smooths out with use, even better with match trigger. Dry fire it till its better. I have maybe 30k in competition rounds through mine> ITs been flawless.  As for mags, years ago there was a sale on the old 10 rounders for $5 dollars each. I bought a case.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a USP tactical. Yes it is a nice suppressor host. It is not the end all of .45 pistols. It is large. The trigger is decent and still not that of a crisp 1911
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#26]
USPs are the best. This one is the best shooting pistol I own by far. It almost feels like cheating using it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#27]
No one has yet mentioned THE best reason for a USP: accuracy!

As much as I love my Beretta 92's, they're not as accurate as my USP's. Unless one gets into some $1200+ 1911s, I contend a USP right out of the box is more accurate than any other commonly made gun. Yes, I include Sig in that & I own a couple of them too.

Many owners already know this, but the USP Compact .45 is more accurate than its full-sized brother. No clue as to why, but they are.

Personally, *I* don't care much for the HK45 ergos, nor the P30's.

If one wants THE best gun for under $1000, THE best accuracy, then they buy a USP. Everything else under that price level is a distant, distant second place. Unless it's a Glock. Then it's a distant fourth place............  
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#28]
and on the 8th day God made the HK USP... and it was GOOD!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#29]
The only reason I can come up with is that I like the feel of the P2000 and HK45C better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not to me, my USP40c is a laser beam, it's a serious use handgun so I don't mind not having a match type trigger.  I haven't beaten mine up, but something about it makes me feel it's bombproof.

Sample size of one and all, but I won't ever sell my USP
View Quote
I'd call my USP9 the same . Strangely I'd also say the trigger is not what I'd call "good", yet, it's a tack driver in a bad shooter's hand.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
This basically. I have a USP9, it's a slick gun I love it but the trigger does suck especially for folks with small hands like me.  A remotely clean DA squeeze is near impossible for me. SA is a lot better.

Other than that it's a nice pistol. Mags prices aren't great but really aren't much worse than most pistol mags as others have pointed out.

The biggest bonus is being able to tell people you have an HK
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I miss my USP 9. it was accurate, crisp and heavy as fuck
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#33]
They are good pistols, a little overrated and a little too much $.

Fat, like really fat.  Makes a double-stack G17 feel thin kind of fat.

I had a HK45F that had a good trigger, well....pretty good but da/sa.

Then I had a USP compact that's trigger felt like it was full of sand.  Still fat.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Great quality gun (supposedly) had to carry a P2000 LEM 40 for some years and almost went USP Compact LEM 40.

Besides mags, fewer holsters available and they cost more.  Also all parts are more expensive like RSA.  I've also come to despise anything LEM and DAK.

I went G19 instead.  I also liked the VP9. But again, less stuff available.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a USPc 9mm that shoots low and has a crappy stock trigger It's my very first handgun so I'll never sell it. Had it since 06' and it's seen thousands upon thousands of rounds.. super reliable.
View Quote
@Brok3n
Are you using the sight picture correctly? HK has a little different POA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How are the triggers?
View Quote
you don't buy a USP for the trigger, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The trigger is absolute dogshit.

Edit: I answered before reading other replies.  "Staple gun" is not an exaggeration, and I question the judgment of anyone who would say the match trigger is "the best 45 evAr."
View Quote
LOL, bullshit. It is not as bad or worse than a staple gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:28:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's long and spongy, then it breaks.  You're welcomed to try mine out.  It's an early model, but I haven't read that it was upgraded as they progressed.

I truly dislike Glocks, but at least the Glock trigger pull comes up to a wall (after taking in the springy pull) before it breaks.

My only reason for keeping the USP is that it's my only only handgun with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Mags? $35 each? Not that expensive. I mean, yeah, for an all plastic USP mag for the 9 and 40...that's expensive for what it is, but it's not out of line with others. Cross Creek Guns is one of my go-tos for HK mags.

The gun itself is highly configurable (DA/SA with decocker, or safety, or both; set up for a righty, lefty, or ambi...or LEM...or hardcore DAO...). Trigger reset is pretty good if you care about such things; shorter than the P2000/P30/HK45 series of guns. The match hammer is really the only useful part out of the match trigger kit; the factory hammer spring is now just about on par with the spring in the kit (factory blue USP hammer spring is now ~12lb; the match hammer spring is somewhere around ~10-11lb, so why bother), the trigger with overtravel stop is ok I guess if you like that sort of thing? And the trigger return spring is..well, why make your trigger return more sluggish than it needs to be? But anyway.

They're incredibly reliable and very accurate. Not the most comfortable gun in the world to shoot, but in .40 it's probably best in class, hands down. %100 disclosure, I've never shot a Sig P226 in 40, but I do have a 229 in 40..and the USP in 40 shoots very softly compared to that. The 45 is incredibly reliable as it borrows a lot of it's DNA from the MK23 project. The 9mm is probably a little more flippy than it needs to be, but it's still a very very solid performer. I've got all 3 USPs, and I'm wishing I got into them and took them seriously sooner.

The only changes I've made/will make, are to upgrade the sights (Had Trijicon HDs, switching to Heinie Straight-8s as I prefer them; the Trijicons are ok but I couldn't get used to the U-notch) and to drop in the match hammer. I've already done that to my USP 45 and as soon as they get back in stock, I'll be doing the same changes to my 40 and 9. Well, and I've got threaded barrels for all of them, and either have or will be buying the Tac/SD recoil spring assemblies for them so I can shoot them suppressed...

If you want a gun that you'll never have to worry about mechanically, the USP is where to go. And, if any parts do break, they're all very easy to service and replace, unlike your average Mercedes or BMW

Edit - should have read the thread, lots of bitching about the trigger...even with the "match trigger" kit, it's not a match trigger. It's just not. The match hammer really does shorten the SA pull and crisp it right up with nearly zero creep, but that's SA only - the DA pull still is a bit...well, yeah, spongy. Compared to a Sig...well, it doesn't compare to a Sig; the Sig is light years better as far as the DA pull goes, and the SA pull in your standard Sig is better than the SA pull in just about any HK, and sometimes even with the HK match hammer installed. But - you don't buy a USP for it's trigger pull...that's not the point. The point is you buy a USP so that when you do pull that trigger, it works with %100 reliability and accuracy. Yes, there are gunsmiths who'll work on it; Lazy Wolf, GGI and a couple others do really good work with HK trigger lockwork. I've gotten used to the factory/standard HK DA pull; it's fine. It's really not a big deal. The SA creep with the factory hammer can be a little distracting, but like I said...that's what the match hammer is for. Drop that in, and that bit of the trigger lockwork is fixed. You should be able to order the match hammer from the HK USA web store, and/or call them and ask for it.

Also - the nickel plated sear spring that I forgot to mention above...it's nice, but not necessary; a thousand rounds/dry fires will wear in the factory spring to the point where it's indistinguishable from the nickel plated spring. The only real reason to go to the nickel plated spring is corrosion resistance..in that, it works well.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That’s intriguing. What mags does it use? Source for conversion barrels? I have a full size 40 and a pile of mags that I was thinking about dumping, but now you have my attention!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A USP40 full size converted to 10mm is about the funnest thing there is; perfect match of concussion, recoil, weight, and size.  The 40 (and I assume 9mm even more so) just seems wimpy for the size & weight of the gun, even if that obviously makes it easier to shoot in the practical sense.
STI mags; if interested, please pester EFK/etc about making a run of them.  I want a threaded barrel.

-Bore out nitrided chamber using a single point carbide tool
-STI 10/40 mags with a notch cut on the front face
-Heavier Wolff main recoil spring
-3D printed follower to regain slide latch (optional)
-3D printed floorplate to blend grip (optional)
-Mill front of ejection port a hair so live rounds may be manually racked out
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How are the triggers?
View Quote
I'm a fan of the match trigger

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Sorry, I thought their mags were $50-60. Maybe I was recalling another pistol.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
@Brok3n
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a USPc 9mm that shoots low and has a crappy stock trigger It's my very first handgun so I'll never sell it. Had it since 06' and it's seen thousands upon thousands of rounds.. super reliable.
@Brok3n
Do you have an illustration by chance? I had a couple of other fellow HK shooters also shoot it and they also mentioned it shot just a bit low.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's long and spongy, then it breaks.  You're welcomed to try mine out.  It's an early model, but I haven't read that it was upgraded as they progressed.

I truly dislike Glocks, but at least the Glock trigger pull comes up to a wall (after taking in the springy pull) before it breaks.

My only reason for keeping the USP is that it's my only only handgun with a suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Double Action is definitely tough. However that's how DA is supposed to be. And you can live your entire life never using DA and only using SA. It was designed to be carried safely in Single action, with the safety on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#45]
My first handgun was a USP 45 my dad bought me 17 years ago. I still have it.

Nicest handgun I own.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Double Action is definitely tough. However that's how DA is supposed to be. And you can live your entire life never using DA and only using SA. It was designed to be carried safely in Single action, with the safety on.
View Quote
Thanks you... for pointing out the obvious reality of DA. People have beat that dead horse into the ground for ages when in reality it is a non factor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
STI mags; if interested, please pester EFK/etc about making a run of them.  I want a threaded barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they made a flush fit mag I’d make the conversion.
I have a USPc so maybe buying a full sized would be a bit smarter. I have no doubt the compact is stout enough with the right springs for moderate use.   Talk about a nice little CWP setup .  To bad compact can’t take the full sized mags
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not to me, my USP40c is a laser beam, it's a serious use handgun so I don't mind not having a match type trigger.  I haven't beaten mine up, but something about it makes me feel it's bombproof.

Sample size of one and all, but I won't ever sell my USP
View Quote
That’s how I feel abut mine, too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a USP Expert with the "hybrid LEM/match" trigger and it was pretty darn good. Oddly enough I actually shoot the G17 better so I sold the USP...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Thanks you... for pointing out the obvious reality of DA. People have beat that dead horse into the ground for ages when in reality it is a non factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't understand the fundamental principles behind a heavy DA trigger. Or they just want something to criticize about the pistol.

Yeah it's a non factor. If you hate the Doubke action,  don't use it. The USP can be used in many ways. Nobody is pointing a gun to your head saying you must use the DA trigger.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top