Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That not even "short".

View Quote
Yeah, that's what I tell myself too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I may have a solution.

Try a set of these, they’re the next best thing to good jeans.

*rimshot*
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a buddy in HS that was about 5’6” when he graduated.  Two years later he was 6’ or damn close.  Could just be late growth spurt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]

An hour or 2 on such a device will work wonders
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a wierd, sad thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
OP... when did you stop growing? Probably a good chance that's when your son will stop growing. Not always, but most of the time it's that way.
I kept growing until I was probably 20-21 years old (in college).

-ZA
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is a wierd, sad thread.
View Quote

Really? Don't get me wrong, there are far more important things. However, the data is pretty clear that height has huge impacts on someone's life. It would be odd for a father not to try and help if there was a way to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
my kid grew like a weed during HS
he was in sports and ate a lot

he is as tall as me

daughter is much shorter.  but has been vegan forever, so guessing prob didnt get the nutrition
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
He needs to either:
a) develop kamikaze game with girls
b) https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/24316-limb-lengthening-surgery
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#10]
5'5" is not the end of the world. 4'5" might be. At least he will have lots of people to look up to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a son who is about 5' 5" and almost 17 years old. He was on the small size when born. I'm 5' 9" and my wife is 5' 4".

Any ideas on how to help him grow taller? He has a good diet and sleeps like a normal teenager.
View Quote

Talk to a reputable doc about growth hormone.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's no guarantee they'll prescribe it. They wouldn't let me have it, and 5'5 is what I stayed at. It doesn't hurt to ask, but otherwise he's just going to have to cope with having a manlet for a son.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Literally about 99.87% of boys have been through enough puberty that their growth plates have closed off around 13-19.
Most are done at 16.
There are an extremely small amount that between late closing or late puberty might still be growing into their early 20s.  (Unless they have a tumor pumping out growth hormone.  Which is in multiple times the amount by a massive number amount of growth hormone compared to injections.  And it’s not really normal height/joints and there will be issues beginning around 10 years after puberty.)

Nine out of ten boys born to people with you and your wife’s heights will be 5’8” to 5’10”.
About 0.1% will be 5’11” or taller,
Or 5’7” or shorter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Rub axle grease on the inside of his knees before he goes to bed.

Note: do not substitute Crisco for the axle grease because it is shortening...
View Quote

Third post nails it this time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's no guarantee they'll prescribe it. They wouldn't let me have it, and 5'5 is what I stayed at. It doesn't hurt to ask, but otherwise he's just going to have to cope with having a manlet for a son.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s a fairly expensive way to gain 1.5” on average with a safe dose with Some risks.
Or 3” with more risks and max doses.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I was 5’9” when I graduated HS in 2012. 2020 after a doctors visit due to the “virus” they measure me at exactly 6’0”.

Small for my dads side. Giant in terms of my late mom’s. I’ll take it though
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm 5'3.8", 160lbs. I wouldn't be taller if I could.

Eta, wonder if I'm the shortest guy here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#18]
My advice would be to talk to some medical professionals to see if there was anything they could do to help him grow taller (Safely) and then help him to accept the fact that he was going to go through life shorter than average.  There's nothing wrong with being short. I'm 6FT tall but a lot of my friends in the Army were in the 5-5---5-8 range and they were wonderful people. Don't let the kid's height be an albatross around his neck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It is the size of the heart that matters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#20]
14.5 percent
In the U.S. population, about 14.5 percent of all men are six feet or over. Roughly 1% of US women are 6 feet tall or taller. The equivalent height cutoff for US men (only 1% of population taller) is about 6'4?.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can shut this thread down
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm 6'5" and my mom said I drank a shit ton of milk growing up. like gallon a week or better.

I suspect his growth is done, but if I wanted to grow, I'd have as much calcium as I could get in him.

I loved being my height when I was playing football, but now, I would pay to be like 5'10". I hardly fit in anything. clothes hard to find, airplanes suck, cars suck, etc.

being average height is not a huge problem unless you are like a defensive end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Are you bothered by his height or is he?

Does he do well in school, smart, honest, trustworthy?

Focus on what matters in life.
View Quote
He's bothered by it. He's a great kid. Well-mannered, honest and does well in school.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a son who is about 5' 5" and almost 17 years old. He was on the small size when born. I'm 5' 9" and my wife is 5' 4".

Any ideas on how to help him grow taller? He has a good diet and sleeps like a normal teenager.
View Quote

HGH or a career in the circus?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]
He's short. It's genetics. Ask the wife if you can knock a 6 footer.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Bang taller women next time?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#28]
HGH is your only option and it may be too late for that to do much.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Feed him well.

This is one of those things that really is controlled by genetics.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I’m 6’2” and I stopped growing at 13. My daughter is 6’ 0” and she stopped growing at 13. My son is 12 and he’s about 5’ 10” and still stretching but I expect him to top out in the next year or so.

I did have a buddy in high school who was maybe 5’10” when we graduated. At our 10 year reunion he was 6’4”. Apparently he had a significant growth spurt after high school.

Based on my observations growth seems to stop between 13-17, but sometimes it shows up later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't help with this one, but how cute is the wife?  I could help with the next one.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
He's bothered by it. He's a great kid. Well-mannered, honest and does well in school.
View Quote
Try to get him lifting if he doesn't already. He can't control height, but there's a lot he can control.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#33]
How about just encouraging him to do well?

I know a 1SG in the Army that I am buds with that was 5'1

We began as me an E4 and him as an E1.  

He recently retired at 1SG and is doing well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Tell him he's lucky. Over 6'2" built line a linebacker, and what I've got to show for it are joint issues, back issues, hit my head all the time, flying sucks, can't drive fun small sports cars, and on and on. Tell him to get fit, stay fit, and he'll run/bike/swim/ski/hike/surf circles around all us big mo'fo's. And because of it he'll get all the puss he wants.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Find out how tall his real dad is, maybe he's short too?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I grew about 3" when I was a senior in high school.     Am 5'11 now.

Some of my best friends are shorter (and some taller) than me.    I could care less on their heighth.  Your son shd focus on his school work and keeping good people around him.    

Sounds like a good kid.    Maybe have him, and you, talk to a counselor.   Best of luck with him.    ^_^
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Work on developing mental strength and confidence.

It's more powerful than height metrics
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Sleep. Nothing. Is. More. Important.

8-12 hrs a day. Making sure to get to bed early enough to actually do this.

The first two hours of sleep is particularly important. It’s very important to have an established window for this to happen. The body releases growth hormone at the same time in our circadian rhythm every day. If you miss it, you miss it.

Get him off his phone /games 2 hrs before bed.

Make sure he eats enough. But now so much to get fat.

Protein is more important than anything.

Red meat.

Lots of red meat.

Let him lift!

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He's 17, most of his growth is already done at this point. Once growth plates close, that's it, no more growing. Should have gotten him taller parents.
View Quote

I grew 2" taller while in college. It surprised me, I thought I was done. When I was about 12 I had a big growth spurt and was one of the tallest in my class for a couple of years then everyone else outgrew me, I was glad to catch up a little bit. Maybe anecdotal but I've wondered if it was a nutrition change that brought on the new growth, I was on the track team and we had a nutritionist that pumped us full of more quality calories than I had been consuming.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Is the fable about weightlifting before 25 valid? Squats shrinking height?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was 6foot 4 before my spine damage.
I'm 5 five in my wheelchair.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah.  We're going through something similar, only he's younger.  What's worse is he has a twin that's 6" taller.   He's younger than your boy, so we're hoping for a growth spurt.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am 5'7

54 years old and dating a 29 year old girl who is 5'4

Pics in BOTD for members

Tell him not to worry about his height

make money
View Quote

yep, my bros and I are all 6'2 - 6'6 and have a bro in law thats 5'4"...No doubt its a mental hurdle but he just runs with and moves on.
The dude is Muscled up and more Athletic than any of us.
What would be worse.. is never finding your way past hight...or hair..or handicap and letting it set the course for the rest of your life.

Help the kid to armor up mentally by finding other people to help .Whats coming for the next generation is some serious opposition and the forces of light need courage way more than height.

Nick Vujicic Visits Colombia With Compassion International

Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I grew 2" taller while in college. It surprised me, I thought I was done. When I was about 12 I had a big growth spurt and was one of the tallest in my class for a couple of years then everyone else outgrew me, I was glad to catch up a little bit. Maybe anecdotal but I've wondered if it was a nutrition change that brought on the new growth, I was on the track team and we had a nutritionist that pumped us full of more quality calories than I had been consuming.
View Quote
^This. I grew about 2" taller in college. I was a tall kid in elementary then everyone caught up to me by middle school and I was average height for a bit, then I got taller again in college, and now I'm ~average at 5'11".

My great grandfather was 6'11" and I guess was pretty much in constant pain from his mid 40's on, I wouldn't want that to be taller.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m 6’2” and I stopped growing at 13. My daughter is 6’ 0” and she stopped growing at 13. My son is 12 and he’s about 5’ 10” and still stretching but I expect him to top out in the next year or so.

I did have a buddy in high school who was maybe 5’10” when we graduated. At our 10 year reunion he was 6’4”. Apparently he had a significant growth spurt after high school.

Based on my observations growth seems to stop between 13-17, but sometimes it shows up later.
View Quote

Yeah, I was 5'10" when I was 17, but 6'3" by the time I was 20.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Sometime between 18 and 35 I grew an inch and a half. Was putting down the wrong height for years lol.  I was just never measured from after high school to a few years ago.

No idea what did it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm 5'9". My dad was 5'8" and my mom 5'. My ex is 5'11" and so far my son is 5'11" at 15. He'll be over 6' is my guess.

Height is all genetics and luck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Protein shaketwice a day. May be too late for height but it will help with muscle, etc.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I suppose we should be asking if you're an OEM male, or an aftermarket one, being 2023...
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I gained 2" between 19 and 23, and another 3/4ths by 30.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top