Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We raised chickens and this is SO true. My mom grew up in a desert area and had chickens. She was always fascinated and told us stories at how the chickens would kill and eat scorpions.

In my neighborhood we raised chickens (Oh the HOA LOVED us ) ALL our neighbors were dealing with huge ass waterbugs (cockroaches) and black widows. As long as we had chickens, never an issue with them. Now that we no longer have chickens, We have BW's and Waterbugs again
View Quote

Watching mine year apart toads is great fun. Tiny t rexes
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Somebody it trying way to hard to fool themselves LOL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They are kinda sweet. Only reason I can think of is because they have red blood instead of blue
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want poor man's lobster that is actually a shellfish:

Argentinian  red shrimp are the way to go.

These things are huge and offer similar texture/taste. Also you are only paying for meat by the lb. Not meat and shell

I love seafood. I got some of those a while back and steamed them with old bay. They have a strange sweet taste and the texture is weird.

They are kinda sweet. Only reason I can think of is because they have red blood instead of blue

Must be a weird kind of sweet for y'all to notice because that's how I know whether the shrimp at a restaurant is fresh (and where I live there is zero excuse for it to not be) or frozen.  Fresh gulf shrimp are naturally sweet.  

I've seen the Argentinian red shrimp at the HEB seafood counter but never got any.  I regularly buy salmon and gulf shrimp there.  Everything else is intimidating.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This makes me laugh.  

Monkfish was always higher priced than lobster when ever I see it.
I remember one sale at the store I worked at.  Monk had the Poor mans lobster phrase on the sale tag.  Was around $12 a pound.  Lobster was not on sale at $6 a pound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Monkfish is "poor man's lobster"

Anything else is made up bullshit

This makes me laugh.  

Monkfish was always higher priced than lobster when ever I see it.
I remember one sale at the store I worked at.  Monk had the Poor mans lobster phrase on the sale tag.  Was around $12 a pound.  Lobster was not on sale at $6 a pound.

1 lb lobster will produce about 1/4 lb lobster meat. 1 lb of monkfish will produce 1 lb fish meat. Do the math.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Must be a weird kind of sweet for y'all to notice because that's how I know whether the shrimp at a restaurant is fresh (and where I live there is zero excuse for it to not be) or frozen.  Fresh gulf shrimp are naturally sweet.  

I've seen the Argentinian red shrimp at the HEB seafood counter but never got any.  I regularly buy salmon and gulf shrimp there.  Everything else is intimidating.  
View Quote

Don't waste your money on those Argentinian scallywags. There's a reason they are a lot cheaper. Texture is like crumbly, dried playdo. Nothing going on in the flavor department either.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Regular lobster sucks. Why would I want to eat anything that mimicked it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Monkfish is “poor man’s lobster”

Anything else is made up bullshit
View Quote

Negative.....

Take a slab of Haddock, cut into cubes, bring to boil 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt, 1 qt water, drop cubes in, remove when cooked through. Serve with drawn butter.  

Sadly Haddock is not a "poor man's fish" anymore like it once was but it works.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't waste your money on those Argentinian scallywags. There's a reason they are a lot cheaper. Texture is like crumbly, dried playdo. Nothing going on in the flavor department either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must have gotten some kind of freezer burnt skrimps, the ones we had were great.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You must have gotten some kind of freezer burnt skrimps, the ones we had were great.
View Quote

Tried them two times with the same result. Maybe I'm spoiled by sweet, gulf shrimp. Not even a great batch of scrimps from Chickies and Pete's can compare. The two times I tried Argentinian reds, it left me not questioning their price tag.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe there were/are laws in Maine that feeding prisoners lobster too often is forbidden and considered inhumane.
I totally agree.  Garbage sea cockroach that literally eats rotting flesh and fish poop.

No thanks.
View Quote

Chickens will eat anything, including chicks and dead chickens.  How do you feel about them?
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Negative.....

Take a slab of Haddock, cut into cubes, bring to boil 1 cup sugar, 1 cup salt, 1 qt water, drop cubes in, remove when cooked through. Serve with drawn butter.  

View Quote

OOfff, I'm trying to watch both of those intakes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#16]
From Imitation Crab Legs to Imitation Lobster... Uh huhh...  
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
UPDATE:  3-11-2021... Tried it and I'll be damned.

I used Pacific Cod. Cut it into squares and sent them-a-swimmin'! Just as Rollins said, Sugar, Lemon and waited until they floated. The texture was NOT lobster by any stretch but the flavor was there. Dip in drawn butter and it is not bad at all

My wife HATES fish. (other than tunafish, shellfish or California rolls at the sushi bar) She ate it and liked it as well. THAT says a lot.

For those of you that dont want to eat 'sea roaches mew mew mew boo hoo' It is a good alternative.

That's all I gotta say about that.
View Quote

The proper way to do this is with halibut.  Glad you liked it with cod, though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative.....

You aren’t going to drink the water.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You aren’t going to drink the water.
View Quote

Says who...

Love me some Haddock. Like it much better than Cod.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top