Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They’re smart. A manager should never ask about anything personal. It’s one of the first things you learn/are taught.

Don’t talk about personal shit at work.
View Quote
When your home life can directly influence your work performance, it can't hurt to at least be personable even if you don't care.  You spend a significant portion of your time producing to make management look good, the least they can do is feign concern if there is a problem like a sick child or something important.  If you're a dick as a manager, you don't inspire people to really put out for you.  I think a lot of people underestimate or overlook the significance of the occasional attaboy or show of concern for employees.

My grandfather was old school.  Work was number one for him.  But he grew up dirt poor and didn't want his kids and grandkids to do the same.  He also showed a tremendous amount of compassion towards the people he worked with, contractors and tenants alike.  Things still got done in a timely manner and people had a lot more respect for him than other people they dealt with that were strictly business.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you are choosing to work for free, that is on you and no-one else.  Also, under the FLSA, it is illegal for you to volunteer your time to your private sector for profit employer and do your normal work duties.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. 18 hour days because the staff works off the clock for fun, forcing you to work after hours or else you're not carrying your weight.

Mostly cat ladies that want to brown nose and make a look at me statement to the boss, but still work is life to them.

Weekend? Lol they'll make sure your weekly tasks are sent Friday night at 8pm, all due that day.

It's very bad, and I get burnt out a week back from taking a vacation.

It's why I hate Karen.
If you are choosing to work for free, that is on you and no-one else.  Also, under the FLSA, it is illegal for you to volunteer your time to your private sector for profit employer and do your normal work duties.
No it’s not that, it’s Karen from marketing sitting at home on a Friday night brainstorming about new work ideas, she gets an idea for a new app, changes her tampon, then launches a new social media campaign advertising this new product (that we haven’t even developed yet), and then calls you up at midnight saying please launch this app, now, boss has been notified of new product.

The blame doesn’t fall on Karen for doing something so fucking retarded, it falls on me for not launching this new service while customers are bitching on Twitter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
once you develop a skill that is unique to yourself you will never be beholden to any one company.

if you are not invited to your bosses xmas dinner than you are an employee, not family like they tell you.

I rather they not ask if they could care less

Q: "How are you going to get caught up?"

A: "Your really killing the good mood the time away put me in"
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

"My wife just got in a car wreck....I need to go to the hospital NOW".

"Ok, but make sure you get that report turned in today".

That's just f'd up right there.......and I've heard that exact exchange of words.......
View Quote
Gee you sure this isn't Boeing?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The most successful (IE rich) people I know- work to live,
and the poors I know- live to work.
View Quote
I think you got that backwards....
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Self employed.  2 kids.

You have no idea what no family life is.  Quit your bitching.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Asking about a vacation, or your kids broken arm, or your wife's surgery doesn't make you friends.....it just makes you human.

Damn...you guys are cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A fucking Pandora's Box you don't want to open.

Bosses that are friends with their subordinates are like parents who are friends to their kids.

Their job is to  manage a staff, not babysit, be besties, or provide a shoulder to cry on.
Asking about a vacation, or your kids broken arm, or your wife's surgery doesn't make you friends.....it just makes you human.

People always say that their bosses never give a shit about them, you're just a number, etc...yet when presented an opportunity to be something other than an automaton they pass on it. Corporations are heartless and don't give a shit because people like that run them.

GD would lose their mind over some of the things I've done for my guys... that's okay though because they go the extra mile for me when I need it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No it's not that, it's Karen from marketing sitting at home on a Friday night brainstorming about new work ideas, she gets an idea for a new app, changes her tampon, then launches a new social media campaign advertising this new product (that we haven't even developed yet), and then calls you up at midnight saying please launch this app, now, boss has been notified of new product.
View Quote
You are either paid for after hours on call or you are not.

If you are not paid to work outside of your defined shift, let the person know that you will be happy to get on it first thing on Monday.

If you are paid to work at any time, better get busy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the sound of your work atmosphere.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a not great job (read not where I want to be)..But I was in NYC form the 28th of Jan to the 15 and iv'e been in Hawaii the last two weeks. I can just text my boss and ask for time off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I work for myself and have pissed my wife off to no end.

I take business calls on vacation and 24/7/365.  Even from a deer stand in south Texas.

I work a lot of Saturdays.

I go out when good customers and some not so good call anytime day or night.

If I do not go out I worry about my employees until they get finished and get home.

I do care about my employees but you can ask anyone of them why we are here. They will tell you what I am telling you now.  We are not here to have fun, we are not here to be friends,  It is nice if we can be friends and have fun, but we are here to make money and I aint going to let you or anyone else get in the way of making that money because our family's depend on that money.

I MAKE THE FUCKING MONEY.  SHE DOES NOT WORK.

Yet she complains how bad I have it.  If she would quit reminding me of that I would be ok.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I worked for more than one family business. It took a toll on one family. The siblings hardly speak to each other these days. One was a workaholic, the other, not so much. I got along with both of them, and I refused to be dragged into their fights. Reality was a bitch for them when the parents retired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Work is family for me.

The amount of fuckery involved is mind boggling to anyone from the outside.
I worked for more than one family business. It took a toll on one family. The siblings hardly speak to each other these days. One was a workaholic, the other, not so much. I got along with both of them, and I refused to be dragged into their fights. Reality was a bitch for them when the parents retired.
I’m the workaholic in this case.

But we do our absolute best to not involve employees  in the family drama.  The ones that are involved in the drama, are very well paid executives.

We’re also not a mom and pop company. 100 year old, 4th generation company with over 300 employees.

That being said, we completely understand family emergencies. We take care of our employees like family. We’ve had cancer cases were we take care of everything.  All sorts of odd health issues, etc.  We treat them like we would want to be treated.

Other than the way we treat each other lol. But business is non stop. 24-7-365.  I made business phone calls within an hour of being out of surgery getting a tumor removed from my abdomen.  Should  I of made those phone calls? No.  But I did lol.

Apparently I was hilarious still drugged up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is just more of a rant......

I work an office job (engineering) at a good sized privately owned manufacturing company. Been there for 20 years.  Great place to work...BUT, it's the strangest environment I've ever worked in.  The upper management are all in there 60's, and super old school.  Their lives all revolve around work....it's their hobby, their fun, their life.

Myself and my coworkers all have good relationships and chat about life outside of work, but as far as upper management goes (our bosses)....they never ask about peoples families, or how things are outside of work, what people do for fun, how their vacations went, etc, etc.

If you tell them you need a day or two of vacation because you have a sick child in the hospital...when you get back to work, your boss will never ask you how your kid is....but how you will get caught up from being gone.  
If you are on a two week vacation with your family taking a cross country trip....when you get back in the office, your boss will not ask you about your vacation...they will ask you "where is that report from two wees ago?"
If you can't make a meeting because you got an emergency call from daycare and you have to go pick up your kid for some reason......it's not "I hope your son is ok".....it's "I hope you are still going to make it to the meeting....right?".

There are no company picnics. No company parties.  No outside of work type events....ever.  Very odd.

It's just a very odd environment.  I think it's just that old school "work always comes first, family second" type attitude. It's very frustrating sometimes.  In the end, it doesn't' affect my job......but it's strange that they pretend their employees don't have a home life.

Anyone else work at a place like that?
View Quote
I spent more time with my coworkers than with my family.

Why in hell would I have to spend my personal time to attend company parties or dinners???
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They’re smart. A manager should never ask about anything personal. It’s one of the first things you learn/are taught.

View Quote
A manager wouldn't, but a leader would.  There is a difference.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
lol

One of my employees had to take his daughter in due to a respiratory thing. I asked him a few times how she was doing....this is not abnormal, in fact it's like a pretty basic facet of human interaction.

One of the first things I was taught was "troop welfare" and it carries over pretty well to the civilian world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're smart. A manager should never ask about anything personal. It's one of the first things you learn/are taught.

Don't talk about personal shit at work.
lol

One of my employees had to take his daughter in due to a respiratory thing. I asked him a few times how she was doing....this is not abnormal, in fact it's like a pretty basic facet of human interaction.

One of the first things I was taught was "troop welfare" and it carries over pretty well to the civilian world.
Oh look someone here gets it.

People don't quit jobs, they quit bosses.

The same practices that breed the loyalty necessary to keep you from getting fragged also keep you from being left in the lurch when you need an employee to go over and above.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why should the management care about your personal life?
You are hired to do a job. Your personal life should not be a concern for the management and you shouldn’t want them to care either.
View Quote
Because your personal life always bleeds into your work life. Are you a drama queen that's always got family drama going on and is unreliable? Is your wife about to retire......giving you the incentive to retire.  Do you have health issues that might affect your performance at work?  Do you have a wife that likes to travel a lot...so being on vacation for 3 weeks while you are over in europe.....or are you a guy that takes your vacation one day a month in short bites? Etc,etc,etc.....all of those personal things affect your work life.

Like it or not.....people are not robots. Their personal life does have an affect on their performance at work, and how you need to manage them.

You can't manage everyone the same if you want to be an effective and successful manager....that's a fact.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes.  They were open that it is a business and what you did for them yesterday doesn't matter; it's about what you're doing today and tomorrow that is important.  They just want to be profitable and can't be unless you got/get your job done.  If you're job performance is not necessary for day-to-day operations, or, doesn't impact the bottom line, you're job is no longer needed.

I'm glad I'm retired.

For those who are working....Quit reading this thread and get back to work!
View Quote
You're not my supervisor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
People always say that their bosses never give a shit about them, you're just a number, etc...yet when presented an opportunity to be something other than an automaton they pass on it. Corporations are heartless and don't give a shit because people like that run them.

GD would lose their mind over some of the things I've done for my guys... that's okay though because they go the extra mile for me when I need it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bosses that are friends with their subordinates are like parents who are friends to their kids.

Their job is to  manage a staff, not babysit, be besties, or provide a shoulder to cry on.

This place makes me laugh with the "stiff upper lip" attitude.

As with employees..  A good boss is priceless.

Thankfully I have a great one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn right.

I have worked with some miserable bastards in my time.  It sucks when you love the job and hate the management.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I once had a client that wanted to schedule an on-site training session, requiring travel for all attendees, on Christmas Eve.    Fortunately they reconsidered, but the fact that the thought even crossed their minds...

I had another client that scheduled a virtual training session that ran all day on the Friday of Labor Day weekend.  And of course all of the attendees were 2 hours behind me, so I got to run nice and late.
View Quote
A bit telco client wanted training. Initially, it was onsite. Then it turned into remote (ok, but not the best way to deliver this material), people are in Dallas. Hmm, also have some in NJ, and a few in CA, and then there is the group in Singapore, and a couple in Poland...

It ended up being 4 hour segments, delivered at 3am my time, even then it was at inconvenant times for almost everyone. Would they consider two or three individual courses for each time Zone? No way ...

My boss left the decision up to me. I did it (because I am stupid...).

I really doubt that any of the students really took away enough to make it worthwhile.

The boss thought it went great. He wanted to schedule another for another batch of people from the same locations.
My boss told her to take a hike.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Nevermind, saw the update.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, a good boss might mean a good employee passes on a higher paying job with an unknown manager. It can make a huge difference in day to day well-being.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There are no company picnics. No company parties.  No outside of work type events....ever.
View Quote
That sounds great to me personally.
I prefer to keep my work and private life very separate.
While at work, you should be there to give your maximum performance and output during which your sole focus is your job. Personal stuff and problems should always be left at home.
If everyone did that we would be so much more productive that hardly any OT would ever be needed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly.....

I'm going to go out of my way, and do just that little extra bit more for someone if they treat me like a human...and not just a number.

I'm not best friends with the guys that work for me.....but if they mention something to me about their wife or kid being sick, or some tragedy in their life ...I will at least ask them how things are going, and if everything is ok.  If it's not going ok.....or they are having all kinds of personal issues....it WILL affect their performance at work.

Being personable and showing a little concern for people's "away from work" issues makes you understand them better....and let's you manage them better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lol. Kind of. Except it's my employees that are pretty sure I shouldn't have a life.
View Quote
And customers. Every time I plan to take some time off some crisis comes up that I can't say no to, usually a crisis to them means big bucks for me and I am a whore for the dollars.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I will also add that I'm totally okay with the no outside work events thing. I do like to keep private life and work separate, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't give a shit about your employees.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve worked in cold, emotionless places and places that were probably too casual about everything.

I made the personal decision that family and “me” time was not going to be secondary.  Some here can’t understand that.  And that’s cool.  My Dad worked 60-80 hours a week.  We never went hungry, but we also missed out on a lot.

I vowed to never work somewhere where they couldn’t understand that work came second.  I work hard when I’m there, forget about it when I clock out.

Current employer is cool with that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because your personal life always bleeds into your work life. Are you a drama queen that's always got family drama going on and is unreliable? Is your wife about to retire......giving you the incentive to retire.  Do you have health issues that might affect your performance at work?  Do you have a wife that likes to travel a lot...so being on vacation for 3 weeks while you are over in europe.....or are you a guy that takes your vacation one day a month in short bites? Etc,etc,etc.....all of those personal things affect your work life.

Like it or not.....people are not robots. Their personal life does have an affect on their performance at work, and how you need to manage them.

You can't manage everyone the same if you want to be an effective and successful manager....that's a fact.
View Quote
Quoted:

Yup, a good boss might mean a good employee passes on a higher paying job with an unknown manager. It can make a huge difference in day to day well-being.
View Quote
One can absolutely be a good manager, without all the drama that I quoted from OP above.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One can absolutely be a good manager, without all the drama that I quoted from OP above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not drama, that's just like...basic life.

If you don't give a shit that your employee has a kid in the hospital (for example), then you are not a good boss/leader/manager.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]
And I will say in all the years of work I have done it doesn't matter if someone asks you how your weekend was or how your kids are doing they'll still talk shit about you behind your back. I've seen and heard so many times. They're probably just pretending anyways.

That kind of fakeness drives me nuts.

If I don't ask you about your weekend it's because I genuinely don't care.  I mean I still might talk shit about you but I won't pretend to be your buddy first
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have several guys that work for me.....and I have no issues asking them stuff like ......last week you said your wife was really sick...is she better now"?   Or "how's your son's broken arm healing up".

Part of being a good manager is relating to people, and figuring out what they respond to in order to get the performance out of them that you need. If you ignore that fact that the employee is a real person, with a real family, and a real life ....it helps.

Treating them just as a number...... doesn't make things any easier.
View Quote
Do they manage to know your name? I've worked for great bosses and bad bosses but never ice cold bosses. I'm not a robot, a number, or an office slave. The great bosses really cared about families. They asked about family often and made sure if we had to work overtime, it was rare and we got time back to spend with family. One guy came in on a Saturday on his own and they chewed him out and sent him home. One of our guys had a major health issue and almost died. He couldn't do the job anymore so they hired is wife who turned out to be a better salesman than him. Another came down with cancer. They gave him 4 months off for treatment and held his position for his return. We wanted to donate our vacation time to help him and they wouldn't hear of it. They gave him full pay the whole time off. They hired good people and were willing to do what they could to keep them. I worked for them 25 years and hated the day I retired but medically could not do the job any more. They gave me 3 extra months of benefits to make the transition easier. The worst boss I ever had was a total jerk and the employee turnover rate proved it. It would be hard for me to work for someone who pretended the family didn't exist.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

When your home life can directly influence your work performance, it can't hurt to at least be personable even if you don't care.  You spend a significant portion of your time producing to make management look good, the least they can do is feign concern if there is a problem like a sick child or something important.  If you're a dick as a manager, you don't inspire people to really put out for you.  I think a lot of people underestimate or overlook the significance of the occasional attaboy or show of concern for employees.

My grandfather was old school.  Work was number one for him.  But he grew up dirt poor and didn't want his kids and grandkids to do the same.  He also showed a tremendous amount of compassion towards the people he worked with, contractors and tenants alike.  Things still got done in a timely manner and people had a lot more respect for him than other people they dealt with that were strictly business.
View Quote
So you'd rather someone fake like they care? Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's not drama, that's just like...basic life.

If you don't give a shit that your employee has a kid in the hospital (for example), then you are not a good boss/leader/manager.
View Quote
We will have to agree to disagree.  While I do need some time off now and then to take care of my life, shit happens and all that, I will simply ask for the time off.  End of story.

There is no need for "Because our personal life always bleeds into your work life" as OP stated. My employer doesn't pay me for that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
And I will say in all the years of work I have done it doesn't matter if someone asks you how your weekend was or how your kids are doing they'll still talk shit about you behind your back. I've seen and heard so many times. They're probably just pretending anyways.

That kind of fakeness drives me nuts.

If I don't ask you about your weekend it's because I genuinely don't care.  I mean I still might talk shit about you but I won't pretend to be your buddy first
View Quote
Yeah...agreed. That's different. That's BS small talk, not genuine concern over a family issue/emergency or whatever. I don't give a shit what my guys do over a weekend, and if my boss asked me what I did over the weekend I'd look at him like he had a dick growing out of his forehead.

BUT- if my kid went to the hospital, wife was injured, or whatever and there was ZERO concern from higher up that would just be fucking weird.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
My dad was a QC guy for GE.  He had a boss in Lynn, MA, Evendale, OH, and one in San Diego, CA.  They never talked to each other and pretended he was their guy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know. I can't really remember a time where I've brought personal stuff to work. Maybe cranky about something but not to the point where I'd be more upset if someone didn't ask me about it.... Then again my personal life as the bare minimum amount of drama possible. So I really don't want to have to listen to someone else's. Unless it's in GD, so I can laugh.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Holy shit  I have had bosses like this:

I've seen too many salespeople take a nosedive in this business because they let their terminally ill kid hold them back. They start visiting the kid in the hospital, their cold calls drop off, and their sales numbers suffer. Next thing you know, it's not just the kid who's dying, but the hopes of an entire sales team that wants to win a Vegas trip!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We will have to agree to disagree.  While I do need some time off now and then to take care of my life, shit happens and all that, I will simply ask for the time off.  End of story.

There is no need for "Because our personal life always bleeds into your work life" as OP stated. My employer doesn't pay me for that.
View Quote
Except it does. It always does, in some way.

An employee may choose to not tell me anything about why he's taking a day off- that's fine, no hard feelings, and I'm not going to ask. However, if he informs me that there was some kind of an issue I'm going to show a little compassion and follow up later. Again, it's pretty basic social interaction stuff.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ehh. I like my boss because he's good with work stuff. Not because he asks me about my weekend (which I don't think he's ever actually done).
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ehh. I like my boss because he's good with work stuff. Not because he asks me about my weekend (which I don't think he's ever actually done).
View Quote
Asking about the weekend isn't really what anyone is talking about though...
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#41]
It’s an old school attitude.

But very much the way my entire industry is.

We are changing though.  You cannot hire and retain talented millennials with mindset.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah...agreed. That's different. That's BS small talk, not genuine concern over a family issue/emergency or whatever. I don't give a shit what my guys do over a weekend, and if my boss asked me what I did over the weekend I'd look at him like he had a dick growing out of his forehead.

BUT- if my kid went to the hospital, wife was injured, or whatever and there was ZERO concern from higher up that would just be fucking weird.
View Quote
Yea. I'm probably just not good about it. We had a guy here whose wife died. I've never talked to him about it. But I was going to donate 3 of my PTO days to him for extra time off (HR wouldn't let us). I did tell him to quit smoking though (his wife died of lung cancer). He still smoke...

In the years I've been here the only family death I've had was a grandmother. I don't think I even told anyone about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Corporate America and Governmental Orgs are chock full of these soulless automatons. Their apologists are everywhere, including arfcom, and they will declare you an anti-capitalist instigator if you dare challenge the sterile, lifeless hellscape that is the modern office. All must be sacrificed at the altar of productivity and the bottom line! GET BACK TO WORK! NO DOGS ALLOWED! THIS IS A BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
Oh, so you're the entitled guy who thinks everybody else in the place is just as amused you brought your dog to work as you are. Guess what, we're not.

Same goes for any store or anywhere else that is not actually meant to be a place to bring your pet.

Yes, I am the guy giving you the death stare behind you in line at the store because the cashier and random passers by want to come pet your dog and ooo how cute it is. It would be a lot cuter when I punt it across the parking lot. And, it is a workplace and a business not a dog park. Leave the thing at home.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yea. I'm probably just not good about it. We had a guy here whose wife died. I've never talked to him about it. But I was going to donate 3 of my PTO days to him for extra time off (HR wouldn't let us). I did tell him to quit smoking though (his wife died of lung cancer). He still smoke...

In the years I've been here the only family death I've had was a grandmother. I don't think I even told anyone about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a solid move to try to donate days...ultimately, IMO that's what people are talking about. Not "how was your weekend" (fuck off with that- anyone asks me that they get "good") but rather, just a little human compassion in whatever form.
"hey sorry to hear about your loss"
"hows the kid's corona virus" ()
"welcome back from vacation, where's your TPS reports?"
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#46]
It seems to be the new "norm" to be "pingable" at any time.    I find it very uncool.    Also spent what was going to be travel time to see my Dad in ICU on a 3 day call.   One day was a US Holiday, but nope still being "pinged" for server shit.

I think it's an Indian Laborer mentality that's bleeding over into our culture.

They always are on and available while the rest of us normal people just want to be left alone on the weekends / evenings.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oh, so you're the entitled guy who thinks everybody else in the place is just as amused you brought your dog to work as you are. Guess what, we're not.

Same goes for any store or anywhere else that is not actually meant to be a place to bring your pet.

Yes, I am the guy giving you the death stare behind you in line at the store because the cashier and random passers by want to come pet your dog and ooo how cute it is. It would be a lot cuter when I punt it across the parking lot. And, it is a workplace and a business not a dog park. Leave the thing at home.
View Quote
Nah, I don't work retail. Get back to work slave.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Corporate America and Governmental Orgs are chock full of these soulless automatons. Their apologists are everywhere, including arfcom, and they will declare you an anti-capitalist instigator if you dare challenge the sterile, lifeless hellscape that is the modern office. All must be sacrificed at the altar of productivity and the bottom line! GET BACK TO WORK! NO DOGS ALLOWED! THIS IS A BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!

Who's entitled, the guy that brings a dog to a dog friendly place of business or the guy that thinks he can dictate rules at other people's businesses?

Go ahead and glare at my dog, neither of us care lol.

Kick her and see what happens....
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's a solid move to try to donate days...ultimately, IMO that's what people are talking about. Not "how was your weekend" (fuck off with that- anyone asks me that they get "good") but rather, just a little human compassion in whatever form.
"hey sorry to hear about your loss"
"hows the kid's corona virus" ()
"welcome back from vacation, where's your TPS reports?"
View Quote
Yea. I mean I get it, but for the most part I don't ask because I really don't care. Obviously that's not to say I've never asked anyone ever because I've had a few work buddies over the years. But if I do as it's because I genuinely care.

I've been here long enough now that if we're just sitting around shooting the shit at turnover or whatever and someone shows a picture of someone/something I typically just get passed over.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Only over the radio with ATC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But can you talk about sports?
Only over the radio with ATC
Hold on I'll ask the guy at the desk what the score is
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top