Now we know who jams up guard.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#3]
What is this family life you speak of ask my three ex-wives
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is just more of a rant......

I work an office job (engineering) at a good sized privately owned manufacturing company. Been there for 20 years.  Great place to work...BUT, it's the strangest environment I've ever worked in.  The upper management are all in there 60's, and super old school.  Their lives all revolve around work....it's their hobby, their fun, their life.

Myself and my coworkers all have good relationships and chat about life outside of work, but as far as upper management goes (our bosses)....they never ask about peoples families, or how things are outside of work, what people do for fun, how their vacations went, etc, etc.

If you tell them you need a day or two of vacation because you have a sick child in the hospital...when you get back to work, your boss will never ask you how your kid is....but how you will get caught up from being gone.

If you are on a two week vacation with your family taking a cross country trip....when you get back in the office, your boss will not ask you about your vacation...they will ask you "where is that report from two wees ago?"
If you can't make a meeting because you got an emergency call from daycare and you have to go pick up your kid for some reason......it's not "I hope your son is ok".....it's "I hope you are still going to make it to the meeting....right?".

There are no company picnics. No company parties.  No outside of work type events....ever.  Very odd.

It's just a very odd environment.  I think it's just that old school "work always comes first, family second" type attitude. It's very frustrating sometimes.  In the end, it doesn't' affect my job......but it's strange that they pretend their employees don't have a home life.

Anyone else work at a place like that?
View Quote
Have you ever had a co-worker, or employee that has constant drama outside of work that keeps them from doing their job?  D you ever have to cover for the same people time and again when they can't do their job because they are not at work? Ever notice it is always the same people with the drama?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
No but I've had co-workers who use their family as an excuse for everything. "Everyone has to work late".  "I can't because I have to pick up my kids".  "Okay you don't have to but everyone else does".

ETA - I just read the post above mine. Spot on. Yes it's always the same ones. BUT THEY HAVE KIDS!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
“At work talk about work.” I’ve heard that here and it’s sage advice.

It can save you a lot of trouble.

Familiarity breeds contempt.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"My wife just got in a car wreck....I need to go to the hospital NOW".

"Ok, but make sure you get that report turned in today".

That's just f'd up right there.......and I've heard that exact exchange of words.......
View Quote
I got the same thing as an Air Force recruiter in upstate New York.  I hit a patch of black ice and t-boned the guardrail.  Called my boss from the hospital where my wife was being checked out.  Boss didn't even acknowledge we'd been in an accident.  His only words were, "When are you going to be back in the office?".  
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No but I've had co-workers who use their family as an excuse for everything. "Everyone has to work late".  "I can't because I have to pick up my kids".  "Okay you don't have to but everyone else does".

ETA - I just read the post above mine. Spot on. Yes it's always the same ones. BUT THEY HAVE KIDS!!
View Quote
"triggered meme here"
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Women and bosses are exactly the same, they will try to get away with whatever you let them.

Don't fail your boss's shit test.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:12:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Literally every job ever.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"triggered meme here"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"triggered meme here"
Edit - Apparently reading is not my strongest attribute.  

Second edit - I hope I got away with that one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The most successful (IE rich) people I know- work to live,
and the poors I know- live to work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
But can you talk about sports?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd call that a blessing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are no company picnics. No company parties.  No outside of work type events....ever.  Very odd.
I'd call that a blessing.
So would I
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
How about balance your checkbook every day, drop traugh (3) times a day, surf on your phone for (4) hours a day, talk to the guys doing work on your house for hours at a time, stand around & gossip for multiple long durations a day, or surf yahoo news for a couple hours a day?...
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am there to do my job and get paid.  That's it.
View Quote
I didn't used to feel that way but the older I get and the less the owners
care about their employees, it has become just a job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I worked with a guy who's said " I have friends outside of work, don't care if I have friends here."

Note:  You've been there for 20 years, do they offer a pension or what do you want to do in life beyond that particular job?  If they are in their 60's are you waiting for them to retire or hoping that you move up?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn’t think much of that.

Where I work there are maybe 2-3 people who seem to actually care about what I have going on outside of work.

For everyone else, the whole “oh hey how was your weekend” stuff is just their way of buttering me up before that ask me for something or give me something new to do.  I wish they would just skip the fake bullshit and tell me what they want.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My immediate supervisors have never even questioned my need for time off due to family emergencies, most likely because I almost never call out sick and am reliable.

The supervisor that does the schedules thinks that you’re a lazy piece of shit if you don’t volunteer to work overtime. He’s even wanted to know what people were doing when they said they couldn’t because they were busy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]
*laughs in military*
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Work is family for me.

The amount of fuckery involved is mind boggling to anyone from the outside.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm not even talking small talk......I'm just talking about aknowledment.  The fact that you actually have concerns and priorities outside of work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have only ever seen people complain about the presence of small talk.

Today is the first time I have ever seen a complaint about its absence.

This is a weird timeline.
I'm not even talking small talk......I'm just talking about aknowledment.  The fact that you actually have concerns and priorities outside of work.
lol, *your (*any of my coworkers) weekend activities and/or personal lives means absolutely jack shit to me. Live your life, take care of your business & don’t bring it to work...
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#25]
If it gets really bad you can always get FLMA. I certainly have never seen anyone abuse that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing! Move along! Nothing to see here!
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#27]
And people wonder why the gen whatevers or millennials can be tricky employees, they have seen firsthand that they are worth jack shit in the eyes their employer and will act accordingly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I worked for UPS once.
View Quote
I just retired from there they couldn’t  give a damn about any of their workers
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Work is family for me.

The amount of fuckery involved is mind boggling to anyone from the outside.
View Quote
I worked for more than one family business. It took a toll on one family. The siblings hardly speak to each other these days. One was a workaholic, the other, not so much. I got along with both of them, and I refused to be dragged into their fights. Reality was a bitch for them when the parents retired.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#31]
M’yep. I’ve resorted to charging them over time for every little minute I spend away from my home and family. On average I’m at work 13 hours a day and they still demand more. I always charged OT for doing things when I’m off but it would always depend on how much I actually worked. I used to be home at a reasonable time. Now I miss everything so they get billed for every second I’m away from home beyond my 8 hours.

Last week I got 15 hours of OT for driving. This week it’s looking closer to 20.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#32]
This is Arfcom. You owe your employer your soul for the privilege of working.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
And people wonder why the gen whatevers or millennials can be tricky employees, they have seen firsthand that they are worth jack shit in the eyes their employer and will act accordingly.
View Quote
A good employee, one who is an asset to their company, should be held in high regard. A shit employee is worth jack shit. If you feel you are a good employee but are not being treated the way you believe you deserve to be, are entitled to, or how your mommy said you should be treated, then it's a free country. The days of indentured servitude are long gone. I would bet the majority of self proclaimed "good workers" will find that they will be mysteriously treated the same at the next job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:37:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is Arfcom. You owe your employer your soul for the privilege of working.
View Quote
Nothing is stopping anyone from working for themselves or just not working.
Unless of course you are in the military.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If it gets really bad you can always get FLMA. I certainly have never seen anyone abuse that.
View Quote
I agree with you. My trigger was the "I have kids" line I would hear. One of the tech's I supervised years back would fuck our schedule every Saturday he was scheduled to work. He went to HR and squeaked about "muhhh kids". HR had forced this twit into our department in the first place. I was told to back off. He quit a month or so later. He had turned in false progress on ongoing jobs and basically stole about $2k. I should not have enjoyed bringing that up at the next quarters regional back slap, but I did.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:51:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I worked for UPS once.
View Quote
Yeah, still do. Nothing has changed, btw..
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes. 18 hour days because the staff works off the clock for fun, forcing you to work after hours or else you’re not carrying your weight.

Mostly cat ladies that want to brown nose and make a look at me statement to the boss, but still work is life to them.

Weekend? Lol they’ll make sure your weekly tasks are sent Friday night at 8pm, all due that day.

It’s very bad, and I get burnt out a week back from taking a vacation.

It’s why I hate Karen.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I agree with you. My trigger was the "I have kids" line I would hear. One of the tech's I supervised years back would fuck our schedule every Saturday he was scheduled to work. He went to HR and squeaked about "muhhh kids". HR had forced this twit into our department in the first place. I was told to back off. He quit a month or so later. He had turned in false progress on ongoing jobs and basically stole about $2k. I should not have enjoyed bringing that up at the next quarters regional back slap, but I did.
View Quote
At my previous job I was once paired up with an old burnt out stoner who completely sucked. When I said I didn't want to work with him again they asked "why". My comment was something along the lines of "I think he did too much drugs at Woodstock". I got an ass chewing for being so insensitive.

Well about two days later he destroyed $20k worth of customer's property. Guess what, that was an automatic drug testing. He was gone by the end of the week for failing the drug test. I really had to bite my tongue.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes. 18 hour days because the staff works off the clock for fun, forcing you to work after hours or else you're not carrying your weight.

Mostly cat ladies that want to brown nose and make a look at me statement to the boss, but still work is life to them.

Weekend? Lol they'll make sure your weekly tasks are sent Friday night at 8pm, all due that day.

It's very bad, and I get burnt out a week back from taking a vacation.

It's why I hate Karen.
View Quote
If you are choosing to work for free, that is on you and no-one else.  Also, under the FLSA, it is illegal for you to volunteer your time to your private sector, for profit, employer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#41]
My current boss is personable and does small talk well.

But she's in her early 60's and has grown kids. So she is a workaholic since it's just her and her husband at home. She forgets what it's like to have a young family and juggle kids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Yea. I'm no where near 60 I don't like working and I don't ask work people about their personal life. Because I don't care.

And for the rest of that stuff as long as you get a sweet Christmas bonus consider yourself lucky.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not at work to make friends. Your better off making little small talk and that's it. Workers have rights learn them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I worked for UPS once.
Pattern?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I have only ever seen people complain about the presence of small talk.

Today is the first time I have ever seen a complaint about its absence.

This is a weird timeline.
View Quote
Same here.  The OP's workplace sounds like heaven to me .
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I worked with a guy who's said " I have friends outside of work, don't care if I have friends here."
View Quote
Is that wrong?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Thank God I dont work for one of those.

My firm keeps liquor in the kitchen in case you want a nip at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They’re smart. A manager should never ask about anything personal. It’s one of the first things you learn/are taught.

Don’t talk about personal shit at work.
View Quote
lol

One of my employees had to take his daughter in due to a respiratory thing. I asked him a few times how she was doing....this is not abnormal, in fact it's like a pretty basic facet of human interaction.

One of the first things I was taught was "troop welfare" and it carries over pretty well to the civilian world.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#49]
In those environments you are there to get paid the most for doing minimum work. Do what is needed to continue your job. Only do more when prepping to advance.

It’s nothing personal, just business. Your time is valuable.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 5:05:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
GD/

No one cares about your kids. You are there to work.

/GD
View Quote
Yep.

And a lot of management as well. Then when you lose a long time staffer because "your personal life isn't my problem" the 3 days of sick leave, as part of their compensation package, they use now costs you an employee that will take us 2-3 years to train a replacement.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top