Green horsefly
sea urchin
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bark scorpion got me in the web of my right hand.  Lit my ass up..
View Quote

Same here.

I was impressed at how instantaneous the pain was.  It was like a strong electric shock.  And how my forearm swelled up like a balloon.  And how sick it made me feel for a few days.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Got stung by some type of anemone while snorkeling in the USVI.

Burned like hell for a couple of hours, but otherwise no ill effects.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a few poisonous snakes out there.  Tiger Keelbacks, and some species of garter snake.

I doubt many give a shit.  But here it is...

Behold—Poisonous Snakes! (Yes, You Read That Right)
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did you encounter a Tarantula Hawk wasp?

For that matter, where the heck is NT, USA?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Riding my minibike when I was a kid.  Bumblebee flew into my open mouth and stung the back of my throat.
Thank God I'm not allergic.  Still hurt a fair bit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

AKA Assassin bug.

Right under the thumbnail as my dumb ass watched him do it thinking "Cool proboscus......ow, oh fuck, ouch, damn that really stings.....(later on) ok, mother fucker. That is really throbbing. I may have to go to the ER if this keeps getting  worse"
View Quote

Nope Nope Double Triple NOPE!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
picking muscadines 2 of these bast***s got me.

Saddleback Caterpillars

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Let’s see:

Uh one of those black jumping spiders with white spots. Yellow jacket  to the face at 9am and then later while white water rafting a fucking wasp got me in the leg in the same day. Pinched by a big blue crab. Bitten by a hampster.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 2:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in Maui on my honeymoon. Wearing Teva’s while walking with new wife in the dark.
Was hit with excruciating pain on the top of my foot.  I had stepped on the tail of a giant centipede that whipped back and sunk both fangs in the top of my foot.  I lifted my foot and it ran into the road and was hit by a car.

Severe pain for hours.  I asked multiple locals what they recommended and they each just said holy fuck dude.  

Walked it off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been bit by brown recluse spiders twice in the last several years. They left liquid filled blisters about 3/4" wide and 1/2" high. Not super painful but they required a lot of care for a while to prevent infection after the bubbles burst.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was in Maui on my honeymoon. Wearing Teva's while walking with new wife in the dark.
Was hit with excruciating pain on the top of my foot.  I had stepped on the tail of a giant centipede that whipped back and sunk both fangs in the top of my foot.  I lifted my foot and it ran into the road and was hit by a car.

Severe pain for hours.  I asked multiple locals what they recommended and they each just said holy fuck dude.  

Walked it off.
View Quote
Did the car or centipede hurt more
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
3 sheets to the wind, hooking up a winch cable.
Had to push through a lot of vines & brush to hook up on the tree. It was dark, and I thought it was just thorns & pokey stuff, so don’t be a little bitch and just get ‘er done; but I eventually came to the realization that I had kneeled down in a fire ant mound.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/198286/34B7E413-AE28-4A20-AB94-9E83FC1A03B5_jpe-1996870.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/198286/77C03133-6E27-4DD8-887B-2C1AC2E7F089_jpe-1996873.JPG
View Quote

That’s rough.  Damned things don’t always heal very quickly, either.  I’ve had some that seem to leave a hole in your skin that takes months to fill in.  The one positive about fire ants is they really keep tick population in check.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Technically you can get bit by a poisonous snake. It just won't hurt you as it's not venomous. No snake is both venomous and poisonous that I'm aware of. But the garter snake is poisonous due to the toxins it absorbs from its prey.
View Quote

Someone may have already posted this, but Japan has one that's both venomous and poisonous;

https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/tiger-keelback-snakes-know-when-their-bodies-contain-toad-toxins/

EDIT - Flamicane beat me with another Keelback.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Brown Recluse, but it's a boring story because I went to the doctor a few hours later and got steroids plus antibiotics.
View Quote

Same.  One to the face.  Suffered some rot to the area, but was at the doctor ASAP.  Debrided twice by a dermatologist, had some CO2 laser treatments to blur the hole left behind.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Those things are evil.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 3:38:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That’s rough.  Damned things don’t always heal very quickly, either.  I’ve had some that seem to leave a hole in your skin that takes months to fill in.  The one positive about fire ants is they really keep tick population in check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had to push through a lot of vines & brush to hook up on the tree. It was dark, and I thought it was just thorns & pokey stuff, so don’t be a little bitch and just get ‘er done; but I eventually came to the realization that I had kneeled down in a fire ant mound.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/198286/34B7E413-AE28-4A20-AB94-9E83FC1A03B5_jpe-1996870.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/198286/77C03133-6E27-4DD8-887B-2C1AC2E7F089_jpe-1996873.JPG

I've found the hard way, after being bitten multiple times, that if I apply some tea tree oil to the bites as soon as possible they heal in a day or 2. Untreated I get what looks like blood blisters that hang around for a couple of weeks. I hate those bastards and exterminate a mound with extreme prejudice as soon as I see one pop up.

BTW, tea tree oil helps with bee stings and mosquito bites too. Something in it stops the itching and neutralizes enzymes or something, whatever it's doing works very well for me.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Riding my minibike when I was a kid.  Bumblebee flew into my open mouth and stung the back of my throat.
Thank God I'm not allergic.  Still hurt a fair bit.
View Quote

I was riding a dirt bike when I was 12 or 13 and got hit in the eye by a bumblebee.  It didn’t sting, but it was heavy enough it felt like I’d been hit in the eye with a golf ball.  Eye swelled shut for a couple of days afterwards.  Got sucker punched really hard in that eye not long afterwards and a few months later that eye is closed more than my right eye, so one or both incidents must’ve cause some damage to the eyelid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, I got bit on the toe by a mysterious homosexual sock pirate.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I've found the hard way, after being bitten multiple times, that if I apply some tea tree oil to the bites as soon as possible they heal in a day or 2. Untreated I get what looks like blood blisters that hang around for a couple of weeks. I hate those bastards and exterminate a mound with extreme prejudice as soon as I see one pop up.

BTW, tea tree oil helps with bee stings and mosquito bites too. Something in it stops the itching and neutralizes enzymes or something, whatever it's doing works very well for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wife has some tea tree oil so I might give that a try next time.  I remember when it was thought that tobacco would help with various insect bites and stings.  I remember lots of times when my grand dad would get some tobacco out of a cigarette butt, wet it, then hold it on a sting for me.  Might have been placebo, but it seemed to do the trick at the time.
Edit:  looked up tobacco and wasp stings and it’s not placebo.  Tobacco is a vasoconstrictor and prevents the venom from spreading.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Stepped on a cow ant when I was a kid.  Felt like a red wasp.  I also stepped on a bumble bee that lit me up pretty good, but it wasn’t as bad as a wasp.  Yellow jackets are the worst in my experience.
View Quote

yellow jackets are relentless assholes,

got hit by them after mowing over a nest a few times,

wasps, check
hornets,  check
bees,  check
big spider,,  check, not recluse or black widow,  maybe a wolf type,

various birds (tree climbing as a kid)

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#24]
My mom was bitten by a rattle snake when she was 11 years old got her twice on her left heel almost killed her....

First thing to bite me that I remember Jack Rabbit (I was 6)

I have been bit/stung by

Black Widow
Portuguese Man-o-war
Bark Scorpion
Tarantula Killer

And shit I have forgotten about.

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Black widow. Didn't notice the bite at the time but woke up feeling like I'd had way too much to drink. Wondered why my leg hurt when I sat down the next morning.  Noticed the distinct two fang marks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I was swallowed by a whale. Made the news and all.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent 25 years working at a marine aquarium.  I've been bitten by; dolphins, sea lions, seals, sharks, penguins (and numerous other birds), sea turtles,  otters, and various fish.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I've been stung by all kinds of shit

Horse flies multiple times and they hurt like hell
Bark Scorpion once, I actually remember that not being as bad as the horse flies.  My mom got tagged by one and had to go to the hospital because she had a serious reaction to it
Plenty of paper wasps, shit I got tagged by two at once a couple weeks ago when I didn't see their nest under a palm frond and mowing the lawn.  My weekly mission is to illuminate every one of them when doing yard work.
Fire ants

Oddly, I've never been stung by a honey bee.  May be allergic and don't even know it
No widows or recluse, no venomous snakes either.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
picking muscadines 2 of these bast***s got me.

Saddleback Caterpillars

https://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/medical/acharia_stimulea01.jpg

View Quote

Geez, those things just look angry.

Fire ants
Red Wasps
honey bee
Asp
horse flies
jellyfish

Those are the ones that quickly come to mind. Horse fly's do suck and will take a chunk. Of those, the worst are red wasp and asp, with I think the wasp beating the asp out by just a bit.

Got hit by a couple of wasps when I was a kid. I hate wasps with a passion.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been stung twice by scorpions.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Got bit by an alligator gar on my big toe once, unusual.  Other than that, just normal Texas stood in a fire ant bed for five seconds, feels like I drank ten cups of coffee at once when the buzz gets going.  Reached in shrubs looking for the clean out cap in the yard, got hit by at least a half dozen hornets, was 1am, surprised no one called the police.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Rare? Certainly not here. We’re covered in rattlers and copperheads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, poisonous snakes are rare.

They’re poisonous?
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Hit a bumblebee with my LH truck mirror. It ricocheted into my shirt sleeve and then went down my back, tagging me four times before I could get stopped.

When I was 8 I thought it would be cool to shoot a paper wasp nest with my sucker dart gun. Three stings later I changed my mind.

Knelt on a scorpion(little tan one) in Texas when I was 10. When I realized what stung me I thought I was gonna die. Turned out it was no worse than a wasp sting.

Oh, and fire ants suck.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Surprised no one has mentioned deer flies. Had one land between my upper lip and nose and bit me before I could get it off me. Felt like a sewing pin sink down to the bone. Fuck that hurt.

Paper wasp sting to the top of my ear also sucked.

I'm around tarantula hawks frequently but have not been stung yet. I hope I never do. Some of those fuckers are the size of hummingbirds.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've only seen a velvet ant once in my life and no, it didn't sting me.

Just was walking along the pavement. They are apparently some kind of a wasp not an ant.
View Quote

Ants are a kind of wasp.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Scorpions hurt like a motherfucker, and then they go completely numb (and the numbness spreads).

Fuck Jelly fish. I would genocide their whole species if I had unlimited money.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Those fuckers are in my back yard
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Surprised no one has mentioned deer flies. Had one land between my upper lip and nose and bit me before I could get it off me. Felt like a sewing pin sink down to the bone. Fuck that hurt.

Paper wasp sting to the top of my ear also sucked.

I'm around tarantula hawks frequently but have not been stung yet. I hope I never do. Some of those fuckers are the size of hummingbirds.
View Quote

Tarantula Hawks are very chill, but they will defend themselves. And they kinda don’t let shit go…
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Sitting on the bank of the creek in Medicine Park, OK.  Red headed, purple bodied fucking centipede about 6” long crawls up my leg from out of nowhere.  Going right up my towards my shorts.  I swipe at it and the fucker bit me right on the thigh. Worst pain from a bite I’ve ever had.  Felt like an electrical pulse jolting the fuck out of me for 30 min.  I puked twice.   I’ve been bitten by all the ants, wasps on the face and ear, brown recluse that got infected on my foot....this really fucking hurt.  But then after an hour it was pretty well gone.

Best part was this old broad, a stranger, was standing a few feet away chain smoking menthols watching her kids swim.  She sees me going nuts and watches the purple mother fucker slink away hopefully to Hell.  She takes a drag and in deadpan fashion says....”Those things are weird.”  I can still feel his fucking gross stabby legs crawling up my leg.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Five Brown Recluse bites at one time. Messed me up good. Yellow jacket ounce, that hurt.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I've been shocked by an electric ray.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Was cleaning out my flower beds and put my hand into a yellow jacket nest and pulled it out with about 20 of them bastards hanging on....my hand felt like it was on fire for a day...I took three Tylenols and kept my hand in ice water with rubbing alcohol

Worst bite though was my 10" table saw, that one hurt
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, poisonous snakes are rare.

The snakes you just described are venomous not poisonous.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Stepped on a cow/velvet ant (wasp) years ago. I cried.
Wasp and yellow jackets don't really bug me as long as it's not my face.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Over the years I’ve had my share of the usual assortment of insect stings. The one thing that was over the top painful was getting jabbed in the ankle by a salt water catfish.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#47]
A Møøse once bit my sister... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Recluse bite.  

Almost lost half my calf, was ugly.  
View Quote

Same. Damn it was painful

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Cow ant - Check
Non venomous snake - Check
Some weird beetle thing - Check
Speckled Trout - Check
Blue crab - Check, well pinched but same thing.
Horse - Check
Crazy adult human - Check
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Red ant, fire ant, wasp, sweat bee.  Nothing too crazy.

I saw a guy with a horse fly bite.  Holy moly!  0 out of 10, do not want!
View Quote
I get but yearly by horse flies. They can fuck right off
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top