Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This isn't my forte. I know nothing about the technical side of ICBMs.

But that number seems crazy high. Right?
View Quote

No, the reentry phase sees those speeds
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

COC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
COC

COC

Both of you are right and both of you are over looking the other side of the engineering issue.

Yes, to have a steerable, in atmosphere Mach 5+ missile requires a shit ton of thermal handling.

If you want it to be hypersonic on its entire trajectory, not just shoot to the Karman line and fall back to Earth at speed, you need an enjine capable of burning fuel with the atmoshpere at those speeds.  Take all the challenges of the SR71 and multiply them by 8 or more.  Keeping a flame lit in a combustion chamber utilizing air rushing in at well over 4000 mph is a massive challenge.  

Suck it up you two, youre both half right.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This isn't my forte. I know nothing about the technical side of ICBMs.

But that number seems crazy high. Right?
View Quote

What was the top speed of the space shuttle?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I agree with what you have said 100%. I wasn’t wrong. I just stated that we flew Sprint to M10 in 75 and it pissed him off.
View Quote

Sprint wasnt maneuverable.  Hypersonics in the true sense are basically Mach 5+ cruise missiles.  Sprint wasnt that although every step made in that regard help get us to where we are now.

The engine (keeping it burning fuel with atmpsheric O2 at those speeds) and control surfaces (thermal capacity of Mach 5+ air over a leading edge) require a stupid amount of engineering to overcome the physics of atmospheric flight and if the US pulled that off without just being a steerable ballistic missile is a massive achievement.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

In orbit?  ~26,000 KPH over the ground.

Hell, watch a SpaceX launch video, you can see how fast the 2nd stage gets and you also see how fast the 1st stage (booster) gets as it falls back to Earth.

A typical Falcon 9 launch is the equivalent of an ICBM launch as far as speeds go to get into orbit and how fast they fall up until the landing burning.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Plot twist, Joe Biden bought it from Russia. /s
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
COC
View Quote

COC
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Both of you are right and both of you are over looking the other side of the engineering issue.

Yes, to have a steerable, in atmosphere Mach 5+ missile requires a shit ton of thermal handling.

If you want it to be hypersonic on its entire trajectory, not just shoot to the Karman line and fall back to Earth at speed, you need an enjine capable of burning fuel with the atmoshpere at those speeds.  Take all the challenges of the SR71 and multiply them by 8 or more.  Keeping a flame lit in a combustion chamber utilizing air rushing in at well over 4000 mph is a massive challenge.  

Suck it up you two, youre both half right.
View Quote

No, thermal management technology is not what is holding us back, it's being able to get the ramjets/scramjets to work properly.  The thermal tech is not much different than it's been for decades.  Ablative ceramic surfaces is not cutting edge.  Also thermal and even ionizing issues at Mach 20 reentry is far worse than Mach 5 sustained.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

COC
View Quote

Id argue its been "solved".  We have ways of mitigating thermal effects, but there is no magic bullet I know of short of ceramics when you get close to mach 9 and that shit is super fragile.  Remember, this is edit>> NOT<< space exploration, this is military use with rough handling being part of the equation.  Youre over looking how good that shit is, hint its not that great and its also bulky and hard to retain under stresses of sustained Max Q
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought the purpose of hypersonic was for low altitude travel, negating radars .
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought the purpose of hypersonic was for low altitude travel, negating radars .
View Quote

HGVs are surrounded by a ball of plasma and easily detected, they don't care a flip about radars.  At Mach 5 and steerable, its attitude is catch me if you can.  Altitude is still high at the outer edges of the atmosphere, you don't last long or go far going mach 5 at low altitudes.  Although ICBMs are much faster at Mach 20ish, they aren't steerable and so you can easily map out its trajectory for interception.  Not so with hypersonic missiles which zig and zag on their way to their targets.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

HGVs are surrounded by a ball of plasma and easily detected, they don't care a flip about radars.  At Mach 5 and steerable, its attitude is catch me if you can.  Altitude is still high at the outer edges of the atmosphere, you don't last long or go far going mach 5 at low altitudes.  Although ICBMs are much faster at Mach 20ish, they aren't steerable and so you can easily map out its trajectory for interception.  Not so with hypersonic missiles which zig and zag on their way to their targets.
View Quote

I have a much better picture.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sprint wasnt maneuverable.  Hypersonics in the true sense are basically Mach 5+ cruise missiles.  Sprint wasnt that although every step made in that regard help get us to where we are now.

The engine (keeping it burning fuel with atmpsheric O2 at those speeds) and control surfaces (thermal capacity of Mach 5+ air over a leading edge) require a stupid amount of engineering to overcome the physics of atmospheric flight and if the US pulled that off without just being a steerable ballistic missile is a massive achievement.
View Quote

Yes it was, phased array radar on the ground sent steering commands to the missile.  One of the technological breakthroughs of the Sprint was keeping the RF link through the ionized air that surrounded the missile. Missile was capable of steering in both 1st and 2nd stage.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Did someone say ICBM?  This is a launch at Vandenberg AFB observed from eastern AZ.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes it was, phased array radar on the ground sent steering commands to the missile.  One of the technological breakthroughs of the Sprint was keeping the RF link through the ionized air that surrounded the missile. Missile was capable of steering in both 1st and 2nd stage.
View Quote

You show me a Sprint in horizontal flight steering on plane and maintaining velocity.

Steering on ballistic trajectory is magnitudes easier than steering like a Tomahawk at 10x the speed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#20]
china has test launched in the hundreds of hypersonic missles..in the HUNDREDS.. we have tested less than 12...  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I thought the expansion of propellant gases was limited to something like 5000 ft/s. Does that only apply to solid gunpowders?

I honestly don't know. Trying to learn here. I had a .220 Swift one time and I thought 4200 ft/s was fast.
View Quote

Well I mean of course we let all our weapon systems that would give us an upper hand to be released immediately, especially to FOX news.  If it is in the realm of code word clearance you won't hear a thing about it till we use it.  You may hear rumors or dis information, but honest specs and uses.  Not, unless you get an Edward Snowden type, but even he was not cleared for anything that shocking.

How many of us knew much about the Switchblade drone before Ukraine?  Or the fact that is a whole series with different capabilities?

There are much the public doesn't know or need to know if we are to be effective in war, especially for the type of war we are on the edge of.

it goes Clearance, Need to Know, then Access ... once read into a SAP you have to be Read out which lists all the scary things they can do with you if you leak, and the damage you can do to our countries security.

Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You show me a Sprint in horizontal flight steering on plane and maintaining velocity.

Steering on ballistic trajectory is magnitudes easier than steering like a Tomahawk at 10x the speed.
View Quote
It was never designed for that sort of nonsense. And the Sprint is hardly ballistic, it's not expected to reach anything close to an apogee - just get close to an incoming RV and blow up the incoming nuke with it's own nuke I mean sure, an airburst at a distance is better than a direct hit, but still... Good thing we never had to use them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some people just can't admit they are talking through their arses.  You said "Sprint wasnt maneuverable"

Truth: " Phased-array radars and high-speed computer processing allowed the warhead to be tracked, steering commands for the Sprint to be calculated, and uplinked to the missile via a radio connection of the frequency and power to be received through the ionized missile exhaust and plasma sheath surrounding the missile. The missile steered itself using fluid injection in the first stage and small vanes on the second stage. "

http://www.astronautix.com/s/sprintabm.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
ICBMs are really just rockets that carry warheads instead of monkeys or Teslas or whatever.
View Quote
Amusingly, rockets carrying monkeys or teslas or whatever started out as ICBM's

Mercury was launched on Redstone or Atlas missiles, and Gemini was on top of Titan missiles. Just swap out the nuclear warhead for a manned capsule and bam, off to orbit we go!
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:54:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Some people just can't admit they are talking through their arses.  You said "Sprint wasnt maneuverable"

Truth: " Phased-array radars and high-speed computer processing allowed the warhead to be tracked, steering commands for the Sprint to be calculated, and uplinked to the missile via a radio connection of the frequency and power to be received through the ionized missile exhaust and plasma sheath surrounding the missile. The missile steered itself using fluid injection in the first stage and small vanes on the second stage. "

View Quote

Youre talking about a steerable missile which is different than a hypersonic cruise missile.  

If you want to be right, fine, its steerable so long as its falling towards the ground or going straight up and not able to avoid areas of interception on the fly aka a ballistic missile (either going up or coming down)

If you want to be pedantic about what a hypersonic missile is, its one that can travel horizontal to the ground while maintaining hypersonic speeds AND steerable in that trajectory.

Sprint wasnt that AT ALL, I dont care how it was controlled
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I  laugh when the media hypes some new enemy technology and then laments that we have nothing like it.  There is so much classified shit that has never been revealed that it would shock people.  I always thought the "UFO's" around Area 51 were nothing more than classified experimental aircraft.
View Quote

Actually everyone believes that. I think the scary thing is that there's so super secret sauce, the next gen is coming but it's not going to blow any minds, like every previous one. The real conspiracy is that area 51 etc don't have any big jumps in tech or lethality at all, because the government and defense sector has lost its edge and is only good for stealing money from the taxpayers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I seriously doubt that a hypersonic missile would be anything remotely resembling quiet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I seriously doubt that a hypersonic missile would be anything remotely resembling quiet.
View Quote

Depends on how far away and how long you wait from the time it passes over you

Guns are loud as fuck and if youre down range, you could be looking at your own brain matter before you hear it.  If youre still around to hear it, youll hear a nice bang a few seconds later.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

By the time you heard the boom, it’s too late
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Technically a hypersonic weapon can maneuver over Mach 5.  The Phoenix air to air missile on the F-14 came close.  Pershing Ii has maneuverable reentry vehicles.

The so-called Russian Hypersonic missile used un Ukraine is just an air launched version of their Iskander ballistic missile

As a practical matter it means something that has level flight like a cruise missile but > Mach 5.

The whole point is to limit the enemy's reaction time.   Stealthy cruise missiles might achieve this even better.

Mike

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Youre talking about a steerable missile which is different than a hypersonic cruise missile.  

If you want to be right, fine, its steerable so long as its falling towards the ground or going straight up and not able to avoid areas of interception on the fly aka a ballistic missile (either going up or coming down)

If you want to be pedantic about what a hypersonic missile is, its one that can travel horizontal to the ground while maintaining hypersonic speeds AND steerable in that trajectory.

View Quote

This is so annoying. Your rants and other people's rants about thermal management, maneuverability etc.. show you have no clue what you are talking about.  

Maneuverability is not hard, we've done that with faster missiles for decades.  

Going Mach 5 is not hard, we can easily go 4X faster with conventional technology, whether solid or liquid fuel engines, and have done so for decades.

Dealing with the heat and ionization is nothing we haven't been able to do for decades.

The breakthrough with the current HGVs are the air breathing engines.  The Russians have touted "hypersonic" missiles which were solid fuel and people in the know just rolled their eyes.  Breathing air means it does not have to carry its own oxidizer which means greater specific impulse which means greater range.  We and every other superpower have been working on air breathing hypersonics for decades and for decades we've made little progress.  The primary obstacle has been getting scramjets to work in reality like we have them working in theory.  The entire idea is to use shockwaves to compress air/fuel in a way we don't need moving parts inside the engine.  No turbine blades, no nothing. Shockwaves take care of all of that.  We modeled them on the ground, on supercomputers, and in the air they acted in erratic ways.  It's only recently air breathing HGVs have been able to demonstrate the promise of scramjets that we've chased for decades.  This is what the hype is about.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:16:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My guess would be the relative ground speed while the missile is in space.
View Quote

Well the highest velocity is going to be at booster burnout or right before atmospheric re-entry, not at the apogee.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's not entirely true. They fly low enough that the curvature of the earth can obscure radar detection.

Hypersonic Glide vehicles present a number of challenges to missile defense. They greatly reduce the engagement window.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I will offer only these factoids.  

In low Earth orbit, it takes 90 minutes (1 1/2 hours) to circle the globe.

Let's see now,... Earth is about 25,000 miles around.  

So 25,000 miles divided by 1 1/2 hours is 16,667 mph.

For you bullet speed freaks, that's over 24,000 fps.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

So they are orbiting the earth at ground level?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:29:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

That's not entirely true. They fly low enough that the curvature of the earth can obscure radar detection.

Hypersonic Glide vehicles present a number of challenges to missile defense. They greatly reduce the engagement window.
View Quote

RADAR in spaaaaaace!  It sounds like a kid's scifi show.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

RADAR in spaaaaaace!  It sounds like a kid's scifi show.
View Quote

I never said the radar was in space.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This is so annoying. Your rants and other people's rants about thermal management, maneuverability etc.. show you have no clue what you are talking about.  

Going Mach 5 is not hard, we can easily go 4X faster with conventional technology, whether solid or liquid fuel engines, and have done so for decades.

Dealing with the heat and ionization is nothing we haven't been able to do for decades.

The breakthrough with the current HGVs are the air breathing engines.  The Russians have touted "hypersonic" missiles which were solid fuel and people in the know just rolled their eyes.  Breathing air means it does not have to carry its own oxidizer which means greater specific impulse which means greater range.  We and every other superpower have been working on air breathing hypersonics for decades and for decades we've made little progress.  The primary obstacle has been getting scramjets to work in reality like we have them working in theory.  The entire idea is to use shockwaves to compress air/fuel in a way we don't need moving parts inside the engine.  No turbine blades, no nothing. Shockwaves take care of all of that.  We modeled them on the ground, on supercomputers, and in the air they acted in erratic ways.  It's only recently air breathing HGVs have been able to demonstrate the promise of scramjets that we've chased for decades.  This is what the hype is about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FFS, I said you were right about engine breathing.  I know that is an insanely hard thing to do.

OTOH,  Going Mach 10 into thinning atmosphere (going into space) for a few seconds is also not hard, nor is doing it from space back to the ground

What you seem to overlook is doing this below the stratosphere and do it for minutes to potentially 10s of minutes and manuever at the same time.  Thermal management of a missile traveling at Max Q (max pressure and also max temperature) doing this for the equivalent of an entire ICBM launch to orbit is entirely ground breaking.  

Russia hasnt dont this nor has China, they are showing off gliding ballistic missiles, not true hypersonic cruise missiles.

You are arguing about shit that is irrelevant to what a hypersonic cruise missile is, something that a ballistic missile or hypersonic anti-missile system isnt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:45:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Given the size of Earth, the extra few miles of altitude doesnt change speed all that much compared to the ground.

For an easy comparison to speed, Falcon 9 did the Transporter-4 mission 4 days ago and orbital velocity is at 27207 km/h.  Thats 16,905 mph at 661 km alttitude.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Gotta love those "CNN unnamed sources" 5 years of Trump  Russia Collusion hoax, but now we believe the media again?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:38:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:41:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:54:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Arms race any one?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks! I learned something today.
View Quote
Minuteman 3's are 3 stage rockets. All stages are solid fueled.

The entire point in using solid fuel in an ICBM is to avoid long term storage problems with liquid fuels. Cryogenic fuel, like liquid hydrogen, would especially suck for an ICBM.

ICBM's are much faster than hypersonic weapons. This misses the point. Hell, the Scuds launched by Saddam Hussein in the early 90's reached hypersonic speeds. Those weapons are ballistic weapons which basically fly a profile
like an artillery shell.

Hypersonic weapons being referred to are more like very fast versions of subsonic cruise missiles.

There are different flight profiles. There are also different engine options. Some of them are just rocket engined missiles.

The US tested air breathing scramjets in the early 2000's and then again, more successfully a few years later.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sprint maneuverability vs hypersonic maneuverability is like 18 wheeler maneuverability vs Miata.

Sprint is an interceptor for incoming ballistic missiles. It has nothing to do with hypersonic attack missiles.  The sprint is basically flying directly up to meet incoming targets. It can steer to intercept targets at altitude. But it isn't steering much because it has to be deployed around the target and has a really short flight duration. It only flys for about 15 seconds at most and is moving to thinner atmosphere the entire time.

It's like comparing a deep sea diving sphere with a nuclear attack sub and saying we could dive much deeper in the 1950's than Titanium attack subs.

Completely irrelevant to advanced hypersonic weapons especially air breathing hypersonics.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Perfect
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
The target will never hear it.

Unless they have sensors mounted on the approach path and even that might not work depending on flight profile.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#50]
lots of misconceptions here.  typical.  let me simplify.  it's a missile that flys fast as a speeding pistol bullet.  ca·peesh?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top