BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good advice cloaked in fear mongering.

I live inside the path and will be stocked accordingly. Of course, I don't need an eclipse to have two weeks of supplies. I can't imagine not having a month of food and fuel on hand at any time and I am a fucking poor.
View Quote

We are in the totality for just over 4 minutes.
Really expect things to go Charlie foxtrot for a couple of days before and after.
Both I-40 and US65 are going to be in the "path" and in addition to the influx of tourists (Arkansas is predicted to double in population for the event) there will be folks unawares stopping on the road to see the goings on.
Oh yes, and the circus (for real) is coming to town.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
fuckin hooray.

From the local school superintendent:

"As you are aware, a rare event will be occurring on April 8th with a total eclipse. We have received direction from local law enforcement to close on April 8th due to the influx of visitors to Vermont. We appreciate your understanding and hope this day can be celebrated as an opportunity to engage in a discussion around scientific wonder. "

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love eclipse threads. Always full of people that have never seen a total one and have no idea what it's like.

"Oooo it's gonna get shady for 30 seconds... Oooo".

And "I've seen a dozen of em in the last 20 years, no big deal." Yeah... You've seen partials. They aren't that big of a deal.

No, it's not going to get shady. It's going to get DARK. Like, Stars come out, Dark. The sun is a black hole in the sky. It gets cold. Animals freak out. You want to kind of squat and hug the ground.

A partial eclipse, even 99.9% is in a completely different world from a Total. If you've never seen a Total eclipse, you've never seen an Eclipse.

We are driving from TN to NE Arkansas. Have our spot picked out. Back Road, podunk town in the middle of nowhere. No eclipse events planned, not even a hotel. Only restaurant is a Subway and "Granny's". Should be a pleasant experience.
View Quote

This is GD. You're a fucking idiot Democrat if you enjoy anything other than Donald Trump and cheap ammo.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But why? Why would anyone be stuck some place. If there’s no gas (highly unlikely) just go to a different station or a different highway exit.

Is there no fast food in Indiana? Limited grocery stores? I’m sure nobody is going to starve.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can understand them, telling the locals to stock up on food because there may be huge shortages. Many people could get stuck in locations for long periods of time and buying snacks and foods and gasoline put in a huge strain on local supplies.

I think the security they're talking about in the articles, aregoing to be Amplified by 20x's after the Moscow terrorist attack.

But why? Why would anyone be stuck some place. If there’s no gas (highly unlikely) just go to a different station or a different highway exit.

Is there no fast food in Indiana? Limited grocery stores? I’m sure nobody is going to starve.

Twice as many people on roads that are already over capacity, can't see any 12-20hr traffic jams. Definitely not happening, even though it's a giant traffic jam with the people who live here all the time
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
OP:  

Do you post anything of any value............... ever?

I mean I know this is GD............  land of misfit toys and nonsense.................  

But really?  

Whatever dude.................
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This! The hype over an eclipse is 100% dumb. Enjoy your 30 seconds of shade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s a few minutes of shade. I truly can’t understand people coming from across the country to watch a shadow.

100% me.

I love a party just like the next guy but I'm not going to travel to see the shadow.

Now the Humongous Fungus festival is worth traveling for certain!

This! The hype over an eclipse is 100% dumb. Enjoy your 30 seconds of shade.

3.5 minutes of shade for me
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Smells fishy.
View Quote

Ya I smell another CIA Deep state false flag...

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
People are freaking out over… An eclipse?

Talking about getting stuck in their cars?

It’s dark out half the fucking time, can these inbred fucktards not drive at night, wtf
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You all won’t think these preps are funny when the poles shift.
View Quote

brah ... come on most of these folks can only handle one thing at a time. when they figure this one out, it will be totally crazy
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't you have insider information?

ETA: JADE HELM 2.0! ADMIRAL AND MEMORIAL WALMART WILL BE TURNED INTO A FEMA CAMP!!
View Quote

Silly, it already is.  They just leave the doors open to get you used to coming to get your daily Chinese bread.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You all won’t think these preps are funny when the poles shift.
View Quote

Is that before or after Apophis comes in 2029?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oh ffs

We had one like 7 years ago? I dont remember the panic and hysteria, nor did my daughters school close for the day (they did this year)

I think they’re overhyping this a bit
View Quote

God Damn!!!! It's gotten Sickining here in W NY! They're asking businesses to close down for the day so as not to hamper traffic for 1st Responders. They expect over a million people near Niagara Falls alone!! Every friggan dinkyass small town Fire Dept is having some kind of BBQ and/or Dance and Alien Parade w/floats etc. It's like who can top each other with the hype and stupidity? Wife and I have our fingers crossed that it rains and/or it's at least cloudy!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I just checked.  From now until 2100 there is only one that goes over the states or Canada, and it's not for another 28 years.

EDIT:  OK, I missed one, 2 in the next 75 years.  There's another in 21 years.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEdecade/SEdecade2021.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I show 6 in the next 75 years

I just checked.  From now until 2100 there is only one that goes over the states or Canada, and it's not for another 28 years.

EDIT:  OK, I missed one, 2 in the next 75 years.  There's another in 21 years.

https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEdecade/SEdecade2021.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_eclipses_in_the_21st_century

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be hard for me to give less of a fuck
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]

OK, 3 in the next 75 years.  Still, only 2 probably in our lifetimes.

The first one is the one that we're talking about so it doesn't count, that Greenland one doesn't count because that's not the US or Canada, and the last one is more than 75 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's kinda weird to me how people make such a big deal out of eclipses    
View Quote

This, my wife bought herself and my daughter T-shirts with some stupid slogan relating and a Mega pack of the Eclipse glasses..
She was giving them out to the older kids and their kids over the weekend. I'm sure most were lost by this morning, not to be found for several years.

I can't see packing up the ride and fam, then spending time and money to go see an Eclipse if it was not outside my house or office.

If I'm not on the phone at work, I'll prolly peek out for a few.
Looks like the main excitement should last from 1:53pm cdt to 2:02pm and end of partial at 3:17. Or somethin like that...
Linky about some Solar Eclipse info  in Missouri at least.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The first one is the one that we're talking about so it doesn't count, that Greenland one doesn't count because that's not the US or Canada, and the last one is more than 75 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you're not going to count the one next month as being in the next 75 years, then I'm going to count the one in 75 years and 6 months as 75 years.

I've also marked the USA for the geographically challenged.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Just the MSM being the MSM.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't know how wide the path of the solar eclipse. One article I read when it was around Tennessee a while back some people were stuck 12 plus hours in their vehicles.

But just pictures the millions and millions of people that are going to flock to it and anything along the eclipse Corridor is probably going to get hammered on supplies and could probably take a while to be replenished.
View Quote

I drove about 45 minutes to the fifth biggest city in TN with around 200k people to watch that one.

From what I recollect the biggest inconvenience was the 10 minute wait to get seated at the Mexican restaurant we visited for a late lunch after.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There is a world of difference between 98.68% and 100%.  98.68% of a total eclipse makes you miss 99.9% of the experience.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:36:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Casper, Wyoming was totally nuts for the last one… but only for the day. I can’t imagine huge metro areas.
View Quote

It was outstanding in Casper, the entire town applauded when the light switched off, incredible scene.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't you have insider information?

ETA: JADE HELM 2.0! ADMIRAL AND MEMORIAL WALMART WILL BE TURNED INTO A FEMA CAMP!!
View Quote

April 8th is a normal day for me stocking my local DG.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
fuckin hooray.

From the local school superintendent:

"As you are aware, a rare event will be occurring on April 8th with a total eclipse. We have received direction from local law enforcement to close on April 8th due to the influx of visitors to Vermont. We appreciate your understanding and hope this day can be celebrated as an opportunity to engage in a discussion around scientific wonder. "

View Quote
Closing schools around here, too.  It's gonna be a shitshow, our little roads that are already falling apart aren't gonna be any better after millions of hippies storm the area.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Twice as many people on roads that are already over capacity, can't see any 12-20hr traffic jams. Definitely not happening, even though it's a giant traffic jam with the people who live here all the time
View Quote
We don't have traffic jams around here, normally.  It's mostly small towns and farms in this area.  I guess that's the good thing about living in a state that's hemorrhaging people.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

God Damn!!!! It's gotten Sickining here in W NY! They're asking businesses to close down for the day so as not to hamper traffic for 1st Responders. They expect over a million people near Niagara Falls alone!! Every friggan dinkyass small town Fire Dept is having some kind of BBQ and/or Dance and Alien Parade w/floats etc. It's like who can top each other with the hype and stupidity? Wife and I have our fingers crossed that it rains and/or it's at least cloudy!!!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Jesus Christ Richard.....

It's just a heads up. Not every area will be the same. 100,000 people temporarily relocating and using the resources sized for 2000 can cause shortages.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#27]
So, when everyone goes back home, will they find that their houses are filled with squatters?

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't know how wide the path of the solar eclipse. One article I read when it was around Tennessee a while back some people were stuck 12 plus hours in their vehicles.

But just pictures the millions and millions of people that are going to flock to it and anything along the eclipse Corridor is probably going to get hammered on supplies and could probably take a while to be replenished.
View Quote

My youngest son and his fiance are going to southern Illinois to watch it. They pre-booked a hotel room and will arrive two days in advance, then hang around and head back 2-3 days afterwards.

He want to see the 2016 solar eclipse and left for home right afterwards only to spend 12 hours in highway gridlock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ll be at work only 5 minutes from home, 100% totality.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Happily, I'll be heading EAST from Missouri on that sunday. still gonna be a bitch at fuel stops, I bet...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Work said we're taking that day off and recommending we stay home, 10 hour days Tuesday-Friday.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you're not going to count the one next month as being in the next 75 years, then I'm going to count the one in 75 years and 6 months as 75 years.

I've also marked the USA for the geographically challenged.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177643/the_USA_jpg-3170150.JPG
View Quote

We're not counting that because my original point was "if you miss this one . . ."  So no, it doesn't count for eclipses in the next 75 years.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It’s a few minutes of shade. I truly can’t understand people coming from across the country to watch a shadow.
View Quote

No, it's a little over two hours of shade.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's some shots I took from White House, TN, back in 2017:

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:32:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Why just Indiana?  It's going over a whole bunch of states.

I'm in the path of totality (which is amazing, I never thought that would happen), but right on the edge, so I'll get a better view going north about 45 minutes to Shelbyville.
View Quote

Will you have an onion on your belt?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I love eclipse threads. Always full of people that have never seen a total one and have no idea what it's like.

"Oooo it's gonna get shady for 30 seconds... Oooo".

And "I've seen a dozen of em in the last 20 years, no big deal." Yeah... You've seen partials. They aren't that big of a deal.

No, it's not going to get shady. It's going to get DARK. Like, Stars come out, Dark. The sun is a black hole in the sky. It gets cold. Animals freak out. You want to kind of squat and hug the ground.

A partial eclipse, even 99.9% is in a completely different world from a Total. If you've never seen a Total eclipse, you've never seen an Eclipse.

We are driving from TN to NE Arkansas. Have our spot picked out. Back Road, podunk town in the middle of nowhere. No eclipse events planned, not even a hotel. Only restaurant is a Subway and "Granny's". Should be a pleasant experience.
View Quote

I'm going from NE TN to somewhere in the path of totality...I regret not going in 2017 when it would have only been a few hours drive to be in 100%.    Don't know where I'll end up but I'm not missing this one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I am about 50 miles from totality - and can probably get to 4minutes with another 50 miles.  Seriously doubt the first 50 miles will be bad traffic, I can stay off of corridors for that.  The other, well no corridors available, so might get bogged down seriously.  The other issue is I would need over 100 miles on corridors and through a major city to get the same totality - I think that drive would suck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#39]
People are so fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:06:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw totality in 2017. It was one of the most amazing things we’d ever seen.  

None of the food or fuel shortages that GD predicted appeared.  Imagine that. Traffic was bad on day one but we had reservations for another  night.  It was still heavier than usual the next day but not too bad actually.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cool, you can view the eclipse from their monorail!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why just Indiana?  It's going over a whole bunch of states.

I'm in the path of totality (which is amazing, I never thought that would happen), but right on the edge, so I'll get a better view going north about 45 minutes to Shelbyville.
Cool, you can view the eclipse from their monorail!

Nope.   You have to go to Capital City.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We don't have traffic jams around here, normally.  It's mostly small towns and farms in this area.  I guess that's the good thing about living in a state that's hemorrhaging people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eclipse path is over 2 of the 3 largest metro areas in TX, looked at hotel rooms nearby and saw a Hampton in for 880+ a night...
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Will you have an onion on your belt?
View Quote

Yeah, but all I can get is those big yellow ones.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Eclipse path is over 2 of the 3 largest metro areas in TX, looked at hotel rooms nearby and saw a Hampton in for 880+ a night...
View Quote

Yeah, you've really got to feel sorry for the guy that hasn't been paying attention and has a chance for a nooner with a married chick at a cheap motel that day. Poor bastard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, you've really got to feel sorry for the guy that hasn't been paying attention and has a chance for a nooner with a married chick at a cheap motel that day. Poor bastard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably won't very much privacy in the park for a BJ either
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:58:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 4 minutes in a given spot unless you plan to follow it in a hot air balloon or something because you won’t be trailing in on the roads.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

100% me.

I love a party just like the next guy but I'm not going to travel to see the shadow.

Now the Humongous Fungus festival is worth traveling for certain!
View Quote

That actually sounds more interesting. I was near the path for the one in 2017. I went outside and watched for a few minutes then went back to what I was doing.

The dusk to dawn lights kicked on for a minute or two.

It was totes amazeballs.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What if it rains that day?
View Quote

Being in the path of totality I hope it’s cloudy and rains the whole day. Not really looking forward to gaggles of goofy goobers wandering around but will laugh if their day is ruined. Just like the bozos that drive around here in the fall to look at leaves.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#50]
It was a good excuse to double my normal Augasons and LDS orders  

Told the wife "just in case"
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top