View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I totally undestand the concern.

Just think about this seriously...

What if the sun doesn't come back?  ??

NODS

In the land of the blind the man with wizard eyes is kang.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Why is this so different than past eclipses??? We had one out West here not so long ago. No grand influx of people.  Not sure what’s so great about this time?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
panic is in around here and we aren't even close to it
girlfriend was at costco last night and the place was packed with people lugging 10-15 cases of water out of there
gullible idiots
View Quote

Nah.  Until they stock up and hoard the toilet paper, it isn’t a panic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

People just don't get it, man.

Yeah, "I saw a partial eclipse once, big whoop.  I'm not driving 30 minutes to see a total."

Might as well say, "I found a $100 bill on the ground once, it wasn't that great.  What's the point of cashing in this winning Powerball ticket, it's just a little more money.  Not worth driving to the gas station for."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love eclipse threads. Always full of people that have never seen a total one and have no idea what it's like.

"Oooo it's gonna get shady for 30 seconds... Oooo".

And "I've seen a dozen of em in the last 20 years, no big deal." Yeah... You've seen partials. They aren't that big of a deal.

No, it's not going to get shady. It's going to get DARK. Like, Stars come out, Dark. The sun is a black hole in the sky. It gets cold. Animals freak out. You want to kind of squat and hug the ground.

A partial eclipse, even 99.9% is in a completely different world from a Total. If you've never seen a Total eclipse, you've never seen an Eclipse.

We are driving from TN to NE Arkansas. Have our spot picked out. Back Road, podunk town in the middle of nowhere. No eclipse events planned, not even a hotel. Only restaurant is a Subway and "Granny's". Should be a pleasant experience.

People just don't get it, man.

Yeah, "I saw a partial eclipse once, big whoop.  I'm not driving 30 minutes to see a total."

Might as well say, "I found a $100 bill on the ground once, it wasn't that great.  What's the point of cashing in this winning Powerball ticket, it's just a little more money.  Not worth driving to the gas station for."

I have a good friend in Knoxville who wouldn't drive the one hour south for the 2017 eclipse. He said it was like 95% there and "he didn't see what the big deal was".

The difference is literally night and day.

What he saw:
Attachment Attached File

What he missed:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#7]
It is quite odd, makes me wonder what they may be up to while everyone is distracted.

But, they do love their fear based mind control.  I'm actually surprised they haven't started calling for human sacrifices to coincide with the sky event.

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#8]
If people cared about their country as much as this eclipse, maybe we wouldn't be as fucked as we are right now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If people cared about their country as much as this eclipse, maybe we wouldn't be as fucked as we are right now.
View Quote

I wouldn’t say they’re mutually exclusive.  That’s painting with a pretty broad brush.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's kinda weird to me how people make such a big deal out of eclipses ????

This is my new nickname for my weiner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's kinda weird to me how people make such a big deal out of eclipses ????

Quoted:
nuclear unit

This is my new nickname for my weiner.

Bro thats old news. I been calling mine the minuteman for years
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't know how wide the path of the solar eclipse. One article I read when it was around Tennessee a while back some people were stuck 12 plus hours in their vehicles.

But just pictures the millions and millions of people that are going to flock to it and anything along the eclipse Corridor is probably going to get hammered on supplies and could probably take a while to be replenished.
View Quote

I’m pretty sure most every extra Snickers bar consumed along the path will be offset by a Snickers bar not consumed outside the path.

Ie not significantly extra consumption; just temporary inventory imbalances at worst.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have a good friend in Knoxville who wouldn't drive the one hour south for the 2017 eclipse. He said it was like 95% there and "he didn't see what the big deal was".

What he saw:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33962/Bright-sun_jpg-3170703.JPG

What he missed:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33962/coroanafinala-2_jpg-3170704.JPG
View Quote

LoL, the biggest difference between those pictures is the equipment used, not the location.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure most every extra Snickers bar consumed along the path will be offset by a Snickers bar not consumed outside the path.

Ie not significantly extra consumption; just temporary inventory imbalances at worst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how wide the path of the solar eclipse. One article I read when it was around Tennessee a while back some people were stuck 12 plus hours in their vehicles.

But just pictures the millions and millions of people that are going to flock to it and anything along the eclipse Corridor is probably going to get hammered on supplies and could probably take a while to be replenished.

If the local snickers are all gone, and you want a snickers, but its a 12 hour drive to go 30 miles outside the snicker depletion zone, where does a snicker get a snicker?
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LoL, the biggest difference between those pictures is the equipment used, not the location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he saw:

What he missed:

Lol you go right on and keep telling yourself that.  

I swear it’s like dealing with a bunch of filthy coverall clad rednecks sitting around chewing tobacco smoking cigs and swilling Milwaukee’s Best circle jerking themselves over how smart they all are.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t say they’re mutually exclusive.  That’s painting with a pretty broad brush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I WAS going to wave my magic wand and remove Joe Biden from office and undo all the damage he's done, but there's an eclipse coming up so fuck all that.

Maybe if there's no distractions after April 8, I'll get around to it.

Or more realistically, I can look at the sun going away AND bitch about Joe Biden at the same time. I cannot magically remove him from office, sadly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I swear it’s like dealing with a bunch of filthy coverall clad rednecks sitting around chewing tobacco smoking cigs and swilling Milwaukee’s Best circle jerking themselves over how smart they all are.  
View Quote

You can be intelligent and be a coverall clad redneck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I AM wondering if some of the population of this site finds joy in ANYTHING anymore.

No matter what the subject, there's no shortage of posters to shit all over it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It was a good excuse to double my normal Augasons and LDS orders  

Told the wife "just in case"
View Quote

This guy gets it.  A little extra hype and you can maybe swing a new 870 or something.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I understood that reference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, you can view the eclipse from their monorail!

I understood that reference.
Brockton!  Ogdenville!  North Haverbrook!  And by gum we put them on the map!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I AM wondering if some of the population of this site finds joy in ANYTHING anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do.  Fuck the haters.  Shits getting old around here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he saw:

What he missed:

While you may be technically correct that the two pictures were taken with different cameras, what your eye sees is very much like the top and bottom picture.

I was there in west central KY for the last one, and I have seen many other partials in my time.  The bottom picture is very clear and magnified, but what you see is even better than portrayed.  The top pic is dead on accurate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:39:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This guy gets it.  A little extra hype and you can maybe swing a new 870 or something.  
View Quote
No such thing as "too much"
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Posts like this make me wonder about people.

"How can there be any diversity of opinion and contrasting views in this forum?"
Attachment Attached File

That's 98 million replies in General Discussion alone. Get some perspective.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's funny sometimes how some people can be so incredibly wrong, and so incredibly confident at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Posts like this make me wonder about people.

"How can there be any diversity of opinion and contrasting views in this forum?"
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35784/general_stats_jpg-3170901.JPG

That's 98 million replies in General Discussion alone. Get some perspective.
View Quote

I exist solely to make you wonder. My job here is done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
While you may be technically correct that the two pictures were taken with different cameras, what your eye sees is very much like the top and bottom picture.

I was there in west central KY for the last one, and I have seen many other partials in my time.  The bottom picture is very clear and magnified, but what you see is even better than portrayed.  The top pic is dead on accurate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he saw:

What he missed:

Actually guys, the biggest difference between the two pictures is that they were both randomly pulled off Google. However, having seen both partials and totals, the images are accurate.

Torf is correct. There is so much glare from the sun that anything less than about 98-99% just still looks like the sun. It MAY get a little dimmer for a couple of minutes. A total eclipse looks like a hole in the sky. It's pretty damned cool.

Nobody who sees a total eclipse says "well that wasn't worth it".
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone noticed people trickling in this early?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm driving to Fairview to visit my sister and see the eclipse.

Not leaving until Thursday and won't get there until Friday afternoon since I will be stopping in Little Rock to visit other folks and spend the night.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#32]
The centerline of the eclipse is about 5 miles south of me. I'll still be in totality. The only difference is for me is that totality will last for only 3:43 seconds and at the centerline it will be 3:45 seconds.  So far the forecast is partly sunny. I have been waiting for this for over a decade. I even put in for a day off at my old job over six years ago. Of course I don't work there anymore so I guess it was unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe so. All the electronic highway signs are referencing the eclipse. Rental car prices are up 300%.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Most of Texas is sitting at a 15% chance of seeing it with prevailing cloud cover associated with a low pressure system. Sucks.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

NODS
View Quote

Got a diesel generator and 1500 gallons to run it at a rate of 14 gallons a day. Plenty of fleshlight batteries so if you fuckers show up, you best be waving a white flag and shouting 87, 87.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:02:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

We are driving from TN to NE Arkansas. Have our spot picked out. Back Road, podunk town in the middle of nowhere. No eclipse events planned, not even a hotel. Only restaurant is a Subway and "Granny's". Should be a pleasant experience.
View Quote

I.still pondering if I should just drive north a bit then hit some back roads and wait. If think some rinky dink town with a grocery store parking.lot to sit in. I'll start planning this to see if there's a viable spot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Closing schools around here, too.  It's gonna be a shitshow, our little roads that are already falling apart aren't gonna be any better after millions of hippies storm the area.
View Quote

@dopple, are you in the path of totality?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Literally.  We won't have another one in this country for about a hundred years.  And it is an amazing experience that you have to see to understand.  I saw the one in 2017 and it was incredible.  Two on one continent so close together is incredibly rare.

You miss this one, you'll never see one again.

Partial eclipses aren't rare, but comparing partial eclipses to total eclipses is like comparing, oh, I don't know, a go-kart to a Ferrari.
View Quote

There’s more coming Einstein, it’s not 100 years. 2033.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Most of Texas is sitting at a 15% chance of seeing it with prevailing cloud cover associated with a low pressure system. Sucks.
View Quote

Yes, it’s not looking but I’m going anyway. Will have fun visiting family, eating BBQ and drinking whiskey.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  Literally.  We won't have another one in this country for about a hundred years.  And it is an amazing experience that you have to see to understand.  I saw the one in 2017 and it was incredible.  Two on one continent so close together is incredibly rare.

You miss this one, you'll never see one again.

Partial eclipses aren't rare, but comparing partial eclipses to total eclipses is like comparing, oh, I don't know, a go-kart to a Ferrari.

A total eclipse where the largest city under totality is Nome Alaska is probably not something most people will be able to see.  It'd be easier to wait until 2027 and go to the Middle East, or 2028 and go to Australia.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

@dopple, are you in the path of totality?
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Got a diesel generator and 1500 gallons to run it at a rate of 14 gallons a day. Plenty of fleshlight batteries so if you fuckers show up, you best be waving a white flag and shouting 87, 87.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NODS

I'll being this flag

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
fuckin hooray.

From the local school superintendent:

"As you are aware, a rare event will be occurring on April 8th with a total eclipse. We have received direction from local law enforcement to close on April 8th due to the influx of visitors to Vermont. We appreciate your understanding and hope this day can be celebrated as an opportunity to engage in a discussion around scientific wonder. "

View Quote

We are in the total path.
Our school is having Senior Prom this weekend.
Bunch of teenage drivers out Saturday night.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It’s a few minutes of shade. I truly can’t understand people coming from across the country to watch a shadow.
View Quote

Completely retarded.  Driving for hours to come see it get temporarily dark outside.  Do they not have clouds in all 50 states?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#45]
The crazy is in control. Here in Arkansas every state park and federal campground site are reserved, Hotels booked, and some locals have rented out cabins for as much as $3500 a night. Yes, if you are in the zone, stock up for the week because the nutballs are going to suck up everything. If Ellvis returns, all hell is going to break loose. lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:06:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Completely retarded.  Driving for hours to come see it get temporarily dark outside.  Do they not have clouds in all 50 states?
View Quote

There are more Earth Worshipers than people realize. This is like watching the rooftop scene from Independence Day on a national scale. I was teasing my siblings and warning of a Zombie attack and the Liberal one had a panic attack. It gave me the idea of declaring April 8 Zombie Day. Break out the zombie movies and popcorn. Don't go outside, the nutters and scream queens are waiting for you.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's sad, you will miss one of the most amazing experiences the natural world has to offer because you are so comfortable in your utter ignorance.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:21:08 AM EDT
[#49]

There should be a second panel showing them saying "what a disappointment! What's the big deal?"
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There should be a second panel showing them saying "what a disappointment! What's the big deal?"
View Quote

Have you SEEN one?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top