Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck if I know. Apparently you do though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone care what you laugh at?
Fuck if I know. Apparently you do though.
If it were up to me there would be no conventional uniform. Just kit them all up like tac and be done. If you're going to police then police, no sense waking around sparkling like a marine corps ball.

I just find the whole Johnny has better toys than I do thing in these threads funny from adults. Some really get irritated.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I just searched your post history. Lotta hate for the tac side of the house, you're obviously on the job and you're on a gun board, so I'm guessing you didn't make it onto your team?
View Quote
While you're searching post history maybe you should read my username and figure out whether or not I have any experience on the "tac side of the house"

I have absolutely no interest in becoming a member of any police SWAT team, nor have I ever tried to get onto one. They have some very specific functions for which they are very necessary, none of which hold any interest for me. I don't find slow, methodical building searches of a contained incident, or high risk warrant services interesting. I like being a patrol cop, I like resolving situations myself, and handling calls. I have nothing but respect for competent SWAT members and the work they do, just like I have nothing but respect for competent firefighters and the work they do.

That being said I am not impressed by fancy uniforms and equipment and tactical fetishizing. 99% of the tactical problems encountered on this job can be handled adequately with a double action revolver, some speedloaders, an impact weapon, and a cruiser carried long gun. Sometimes you need a SWAT team.

Don't confuse my lampooning of the Howard Hunters of the world with scorn for professionals doing good work. As the late Pat Rogers was fond of saying, "policing is regional", and so are SWAT teams. Some are very professional groups of squared away guys that work hard, some are bunches of completely unqualified assclowns playing dress up, some are a solution looking for a problem and MANY are an unfortunate combination of all three.

PS I don't give a flying fuck what color their uniforms are.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Boot camp rejects??
View Quote
Our team was all Vietnam Nam Vets. So no rejects.

Ed
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
While you're searching post history maybe you should read my username and figure out whether or not I have any experience on the "tac side of the house"

I have absolutely no interest in becoming a member of any police SWAT team, nor have I ever tried to get onto one. They have some very specific functions for which they are very necessary, none of which hold any interest for me. I don't find slow, methodical building searches of a contained incident, or high risk warrant services interesting. I like being a patrol cop, I like resolving situations myself, and handling calls. I have nothing but respect for competent SWAT members and the work they do, just like I have nothing but respect for competent firefighters and the work they do.

That being said I am not impressed by fancy uniforms and equipment and tactical fetishizing. 99% of the tactical problems encountered on this job can be handled adequately with a double action revolver, some speedloaders, an impact weapon, and a cruiser carried long gun. Sometimes you need a SWAT team.

Don't confuse my lampooning of the Howard Hunters of the world with scorn for professionals doing good work. As the late Pat Rogers was fond of saying, "policing is regional", and so are SWAT teams. Some are very professional groups of squared away guys that work hard, some are bunches of completely unqualified assclowns playing dress up, some are a solution looking for a problem and MANY are an unfortunate combination of all three.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just searched your post history. Lotta hate for the tac side of the house, you're obviously on the job and you're on a gun board, so I'm guessing you didn't make it onto your team?

Can't really disagree with much of that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems like a waste of time whenever I see it for active shooter call outs.

never figured out why they don't just throw plates on and go.  For warrants and shit whatever, but active shooters seem like time is more critical than Chicks-Dig-It camo

Aw well,  I'll stay on the Internet
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I doubt any of those cops you lol at, would care if they knew.
View Quote
I'm sure they would be to busy operating getting dressed up to operate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Boot camp rejects??
View Quote
Most of them around here are army and marine vets.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

never figured out why they don't just throw plates on and go.  For warrants and shit whatever, but active shooters seem like time is more critical than Chicks-Dig-It camo

View Quote
That's exactly the expectation here. No time to get dolled up.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

never figured out why they don't just throw plates on and go.
View Quote
Because most active shooter incidents take place in large, complex buildings which are full of people, and when police respond to the incident they are not possessed of magical foresight and have no idea how many suspects are involved, whether or not it is an organized terrorist attack, whether or not there are secondary devices/shooters waiting etc. etc.

Once patrol is reasonably sure the suspect is dead/in custody/long gone, someone has to do a detailed and thorough search of the scene for hiding suspects/bombs/things of that nature.

Since that someone(SWAT) is not the first line response and has the luxury of time, logically they should equip themselves in a manner lending them the utmost advantage for performing that activity.

Helpful?
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hut hut hut
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#11]
It is a progression. Black to woodland to ACU (maybe, I have seen my local SWAT use OD) to multicam.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How does that work if you get called from home on SWAT?

Do you get a call on your cell phone and then drive your personal vehicle over?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I keep mine in my patrol car, change into it if time allows.  Emergency i just put my heavyvest on over uniform plus my helmet.  If called out from home, i put on the multicam.

I have my patrol car parked by my house. We have a cell phone page out for swat calls.  If i am not working in my personal car, i respond to pd in it.  I carry spare gear in my personal car.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have my patrol car parked by my house. We have a cell phone page out for swat calls.  If i am not working in my personal car, i respond to pd in it.  I carry spare gear in my personal car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I keep mine in my patrol car, change into it if time allows.  Emergency i just put my heavyvest on over uniform plus my helmet.  If called out from home, i put on the multicam.

Is it optional whether you respond to a call?

What if you are in the middle of drinking or something?
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You count how many times the earth rotates the Sun then divide those days up among the group.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it were up to me there would be no conventional uniform. Just kit them all up like tac and be done. If you're going to police then police, no sense waking around sparkling like a marine corps ball.

I just find the whole Johnny has better toys than I do thing in these threads funny from adults. Some really get irritated.
View Quote
BDUs make a ton of sense. No argument there. All I said was that cops wearing head to toe multicam, especially just standing around on a secured scene or in an urban area, looks pants on head retarded. That's my opinion. Nothing more. Apparently that ruffled the feathers of some of the more sensitive members in this thread.

ETA: What makes you think that Johnny has better toys than I do anyway?
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 9 of us on the team, I try to make it as often as we are called out, distance from incident being the major issue.  The one beer I will drink during the week, if I get called after drinking it, I would probably not respond. Has not happened yet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BDUs make a ton of sense. No argument there. All I said was that cops wearing head to toe multicam, especially just standing around on a secured scene or in an urban area, looks pants on head retarded. That's my opinion. Nothing more. Apparently that ruffled the feathers of some of the more sensitive members in this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly most is just procedure for sake of procedure. Sort of like how a mechanic shop might have matching uniforms. It might not be needed when jeans and a t shirt would do but it identifies a group, puts people into a role mentality and it's easier and cheaper than replacing more expensive uniform gear. Badges and name tags really are expensive, so are uniform pants and shirts that often need tailored once purchased so they don't look like ass.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#18]
All these lowely civilians don’t know shit.
Stand around wait and talk guys are masters of cammy flaj.

Once you go tier one +, you get camo for all occasions.

Christmas camo

Easter camo

Driving in the dark camo

We even have off duty camo so we can pick out other crye ninjas in public.

Seriously though, Black fucking sucks.  Even at night, you can see a black blob, it’s not natural anywhere.
At night green is still green, Wear black and lay on grass and everyone will see you.
To me multicam is the best overall one uniform everywhere.

Above is full heavy hot Armageddon shit and a city guy in black. When I get a choice I go light and in a t shirt.

For those bitching at Crye, your crazy. We just got the newest stretchy weather stuff and it’s awesome, I prefer it 100 times over the regular crye uniform before it. I’d say anyone who hates it hasn’t used it.

Respect my tacthoritah!
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd say when we respond some where, at least 2-3 of us are in patrol uniform or slacks and button down shirts (CID guys). If the operation is a preplanned, butt ass early in the morning operation, we will all be in our greens. Dudes that are responding from home will be in greens 100% of the time.
View Quote
This is how ours arrive.  It's nice to be the liaison. All I do is add armor and go.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Never trust a white shirt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can't disagree with anything you said. Especially the last paragraph. Apologies if I came off like a bit of a dick. I despise drive by postings, and I did one myself.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Never trust a white shirt.
View Quote
I don’t blame you.. I used to always get to roll in the green polo and 5/11’s I am right now thankfully.
I hate the airline pilot look. Not comfy at all.

When I have to not be seen at night from the moon, I keep a Od underarmor pullover that dons quickly between the headrests.

Link Posted: 4/3/2018 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#23]
What dept did that retard "Battle Swarm" guy work for?

Had his profile photo someone linked here of him in a Marpat costume. lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#24]
If I am responding from the office, I will be in a blue polo and khaki tactical pants 99% of the time (because I'm usually doing boring IT stuff).

We all had to buy our own Multicam if we wanted it. Most did. (We have to buy our own armor too. The agency only issues IIIA concealment vests.) The last issued SWAT uniform was a set of greens (with jacket) about 8 years ago. I keep a set in the trunk (with spare boots/socks) but I've only worn multicams when responding from home or on a pre-planned op (like warrant service). My plate carrier is desert tan. I have a Multicam IOTV but that's more coverage/weight than I prefer and I don't want to mess it up since they won't replace it.

My agency covers mostly rural wooded areas. Multicam, woodland, and Marpat work best here. We did a photo recon class with 20th SFG recently, and the Multicam is obviously great in diverse terrain.

They did buy us helmets and Liberator III headsets for comms, so there's that. My helmet doesn't fit though. I need to order 0.5" pads for the thing instead of 0.75" that came with it. I'm kinda on the fence about wearing a helmet, but I'm already wearing comms, so it's not like it will affect my hearing negatively. If I get it setup for my PVS-14 it'll be worth it, but I'm only one of 2 guys with one because I bought it. (I really don't want it damaged.) The narcotics guys bought some stupid gen 2 handheld bullshit. I tried to get the team into IR lasers and NVGs but they balked at having to pay $350 for used PEQ-16 units. I was trying to buy one with my own money and keep it (also denied). lol
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 12:58:49 AM EDT
[#25]
At some level, it's cosplay. Hard core civilian gun nuts taking carbine courses are often guilty of the same.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:24:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At some level, it's cosplay. Hard core civilian gun nuts taking carbine courses are often guilty of the same.
View Quote
I agree with this conclusion
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:29:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I'm working my regular shift, that's what I do. Our crap is all green though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most teams like this are an ERT or a strike team, not so much swat.. All this gear is staged and ready to go. They will practice and drill over and over and can be geared up AND on site in a very short period of time.    Others have their gear on the rig and dress suit up on the drive over.

You would be surprised how quickly you can dress and gear up when you practice over and over to do it.
Why not just throw a plate carrier over their uniform and grab an AR?

Why the need to get decked all up in multicam pants, boots, and shirt?
If I'm working my regular shift, that's what I do. Our crap is all green though.
Brazos county? If so I am sorry about That Deputy always making cracks about your green.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Civilians had multicam before the military adopted it.
View Quote
This is very true.

It's also still probably the most versatile camo pattern out there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:41:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Make Urban Camo Great Again

https://i.imgur.com/MZ615zJ.jpg
View Quote
Looks good on yoga pants,

but THAT was always a clown shoes pattern that never particularly blended into well....anything.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I didn’t post the picture of me wearing a bunny head I would prove you both wrong!
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because it works.

Black is sucks to blend in and is HOT. Grey sticks out like a sore thumb, they tried it in the 90's.

OD green is about the best all around color for all areas, day and night use.
View Quote
We just went to blue because it looks "less tactical".  Fucking feelings.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#33]
From yesterday's Youtube shooting.
SWAT operator in black.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Motherfucking basement dwellers buying multi-cam shit for basic pistol classes.

Mad when cops wear it.

I love morons.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Mad when cops wear it.

I love morons.
View Quote
Cops are just wearing civilian attire.

Its the military that are posers.

Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Cops are just wearing civilian attire.

Its the military that are posers.

View Quote
It's true.

I wore a fucking white cotton t-shirt to my last class.

I was emulating a walmart stripper.

Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How else will you blend into the parking garage, dumpster, and office park if you AREN'T wearing multicam? I mean you can't just roll up in a giant MRAP surrounded by squad cars and flashing lights and NOT blend into the shrubbery.

The more you know!
View Quote
A Bridge Too Far - The Wrong Camoflage
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Mad when cops wear it.

I love morons.
View Quote
Like the armor section.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Like the armor section.
View Quote
Right?

How pathetic must we really be when we are mad over the goddamn color of our clothes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]
We wear a digital black BDU uniform for training and when we get called out. If Im on duty I go with what ever Im wearing which could be class a's or a green BDU uniform with a mole vest. If Im responding from off duty I put on my Digital Black BDU uniform. All my SWAT gear is in the trunk of my Charger.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We wear a digital black BDU uniform for training and when we get called out. If Im on duty I go with what ever Im wearing which could be class a's or a green BDU uniform with a mole vest. If Im responding from off duty I put on my Digital Black BDU uniform. All my SWAT gear is in the trunk of my Charger.
View Quote
Militarization!
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Make fun of me all you want. I really like cops to look more like cops, and less like soldiers. I would rather have solid colors with lots of high vis "POLICE" on display than police looking like soldiers, complete with lo vis patches.

Flame suit on. its a small detail, I know. I was talking with a friend about it once and she had an interesting take "well remember that prisoner, prison guard experiment? put cops in soldier uniforms and guess what they act like?"
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#43]
"urban marpat" just looks like woodland after a few years of use. So salty. When I was at SOI we had an instructor whos old school woodland (non digi) cammies were so old and worn they looked like urban. I'm not exaggerating either. he had like less than a year left and was determined not to spend another dime on uniforms.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Make fun of me all you want. I really like cops to look more like cops, and less like soldiers. I would rather have solid colors with lots of high vis "POLICE" on display than police looking like soldiers, complete with lo vis patches.

Flame suit on. its a small detail, I know. I was talking with a friend about it once and she had an interesting take "well remember that prisoner, prison guard experiment? put cops in soldier uniforms and guess what they act like?"
View Quote

Why does 87% of arf dress up like SF?

But mah clothes bro! Amazing.

Link Posted: 4/4/2018 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Most teams like this are an ERT or a strike team, not so much swat.. All this gear is staged and ready to go. They will practice and drill over and over and can be geared up AND on site in a very short period of time.    Others have their gear on the rig and dress suit up on the drive over.

You would be surprised how quickly you can dress and gear up when you practice over and over to do it.
View Quote
Part of our annual certification is a dress out drill under 6 minutes.  You can do it under 3 easily.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#47]
This topic is still alive

Back in the mid 2000's most of us were rocking woodland BDU's for green MJ grow ops.  We called em undocumented aliens back then.  Well, the UDA's had good spotter systems in place and the camps were almost always vacant by the time we raided them.  Some genius made the connection that the majority of the left behind clothing was Salvation Army camo.  And it was all woodland.

So to avoid any blue on blue, we went to straight OD green.  Years later, the "more exclusive" camo was multicam so some started transitioning that direction.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Woodland master race.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:27:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why does 87% of arf dress up like SF?

But mah clothes bro! Amazing.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/V1om9rx46mE/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
I'm the cargo shorts and polo yuppie shooter. I also "waste" money on ammo and practice over tricked out shit. I am clearly a faggot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I am clearly a faggot.
View Quote
*shrug*

Marine?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top