Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never considered putting a dot on a pistol. I'm pretty low tech for sure.
Seems like it would be faster though.  
    What is the durability like. I woukd think they'd have to be pretty damn tough being on a moving slide like they are.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

RDS fans, cousins to the pit bull apologist.
View Quote

Found the guy who can't shoot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No one says you NEED one.

That isn't the argument.  

The argument is that any given shooter will always be faster with the optic equipped gun, at any distance.  (given proper training)
View Quote

But why?  Is a red dot sight seen sooner than irons on target?.  Can you point a red dot gun faster?  
People aren't faster with a dot, they really are just slower with irons.  They are doing everything at the same speed, but when it comes down to it, they are doing a multi-step confirmation (front post in notch, front post on target) with irons when they do a single confirmation (dot on sight) with a dot.   When you stop doing a mental confirmations for either, the times are the same.  When the sights are seen on target, the shot breaks.  No need to confirm.   Use the front sight like it is a red dot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never considered putting a dot on a pistol. I'm pretty low tech for sure.
Seems like it would be faster though.  
    What is the durability like. I woukd think they'd have to be pretty damn tough being on a moving slide like they are.
View Quote

As of yesterday I have 22,000 rounds on a slide-ride Trijicon SRO.  No problems with it, still holds zero.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Found the guy who can't shoot.
View Quote

23 lololol
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

People aren't faster with a dot, they really are just slower with irons.  
View Quote

Engrish says what?

You can argue semantics and technicalities all you'd like, the timer doesn't lie.

For an extremely high level shooter the difference may be negligible, but it will still be there.

For a lower level shooter, the difference will be noticeable.  Training issue?  Perhaps so.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

23 lololol
View Quote

You're close.  22 thousand rounds YTD.

Add dry fire and you can triple it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

RDS fans, cousins to the pit bull apologist.
View Quote

I personally hate all dogs but love RDS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Look at all that BULK
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

As of yesterday I have 22,000 rounds on a slide-ride Trijicon SRO.  No problems with it, still holds zero.
View Quote

I’m still waiting for this one to take a shit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're close.  22 thousand rounds YTD.

Add dry fire and you can triple it.
View Quote

Dry firing every 8 minutes (or greater in only 11 months) is some serious autist shit. I was going to call BS but it kinda fits the mold considering your posting behaviors.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Engrish says what?

You can argue semantics and technicalities all you'd like, the timer doesn't lie.

For an extremely high level shooter the difference may be negligible, but it will still be there.

For a lower level shooter, the difference will be noticeable.  Training issue?  Perhaps so.
View Quote

Correct, the timer doesn't lie.  And when you stop doing unnecessary steps, your times go down.  People have convinced themselves that more steps are needed with irons than a dot...that is not the case
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dry firing every 8 minutes (or greater in only 11 months) is some serious autist shit. I was going to call BS but it kinda fits the mold considering your posting behaviors.
View Quote

Fucking wut
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking about upgrading from my standard gen 5 G19 to a new MOS G19 and putting one of the holoson enclosed emitter dots on it but my favorite holster doesnt make a holster for that setup. I run a safariland ALS btw.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RDS and light only on home defense weapon.

CCW neither. Research has shown that nearly all SD situations are within a few yards and practically never go to a second mag. Dots and irons within a few yards would not make a difference for me.

Me CCW, g26, irons, NS, IWB. Any additions makes it cumbersome for no reason. That is me. YMMV.
View Quote

Quoted:

I'm perfectly confident the iron sights having CC guns I use will get me through any self defense encounter I might find myself in.  I don't feel the need to larp like I'm some special forces soldier.
View Quote

LOL... These threads are always entertaining! People can always predict what their gunfight is going to be. If you have superior gear/equipment and practice with it, you're a SF larper now?

I'm also shocked at how many people pocket carry. The only people that I personally know who do are severely obese. It is also slow as fuck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Great.

Which law, exactly?

Being a matter of public record, please give some evidence regarding a case which went poorly due to the shooting occurring beyond an arbitrary range.

That should be easy as you’ve seen them first hand.

Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Former law enforcement, former military.
Protected for me means I need to remain inside the law if I use a pistol. Distance, threat levels as I perceive them and what can be proved.
Although I prefer red dots on all my pistols, Im not a fan of the "rr" series mini dots, I also like my outline/print being small as possible, I do not use my CCW for longer range shooting, it has been a deep concealed back up. I have seen first hand those proving their shoot in a courtroom that came down to distance and the ability to escape.
As I said God forbid it comes time to use that pistol it's going to be a last resort. Its a 43x, Im not shooing it 50 yards.
I also prefer my everyday carry to be a little more impervious to weather, and general beat downs. I dont want to maintain battery life, I dont want to remember to turn it off or on. I want to train with it monthly, sometimes weekly, and generally not care about it whatsoever.

Although I do on occasion when weather permits wear a 19, or even a 21 with RDS on them as a daily.

Great.

Which law, exactly?

Being a matter of public record, please give some evidence regarding a case which went poorly due to the shooting occurring beyond an arbitrary range.

That should be easy as you’ve seen them first hand.

Thanks.

The APD officer making 2 hits at 165m with his .40, on that asshole shooting up a building with an AK comes to mind.

I will continue to argue though that on the "must disappear" form factor, a CT-like laser ends up working better than even an RMRcc.  Both eyes open, and I'm not consciously looking for the dot.  It's just there. (I still have Kahr's trigger pull, and a likely malfunction drill to deal with, but that's on me)
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Jacket pockets are a thing.  Not slow at all.  I am far from obese, but I do that all the time.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh wait… I like this.

Local DA’s could hand out like a slide-rule thingy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought it was negotiated?  Like, I wasn't using hollow points, so I should be able to shoot 10 yards further?

Oh wait… I like this.

Local DA’s could hand out like a slide-rule thingy.

You're going to need a Family Guy color chart too.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Depends on your philosophy of use.

I expect my pistol to work at both short and longer ranges if need be; I may not always have a long gun available.

Can I make 100 yrd shots with irons? Sure. Can I do it way better and easier with an RDS? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
RDS on pistols are nice but not for me.

My handgun skills are marginal at best at anything over 10 yards or so. Red dots on rifles are a godsend to me but in my CCW they would just be a hindrance.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nope. Tried it, but didn't like it on my Sig P365 XL. Red dots are nice for long distance shooting, but I have a rifle with a red dot for that. I don't have a problem hitting a human sized target within 20 yards anyway.
For cc my dot kept getting all dirty from ball dust and pocket lint, I don't have to worry about that as much with iron sights.
View Quote

That was my experience as well on my P365 XMacro.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes. I have a small pistol collection, and I want to put dots on most of them. It’s not a priority, but yes. My 2 main pistols have dots.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#24]
negative.

too poor to participate in the RDS revolution.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I have exactly one. I've done a few range trips and it just isn't for me.

I want to trade it to someone for their slide and something else.  

It slowed me down. Laser did the same when I tried that.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:31:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
negative.

too poor to participate in the RDS revolution.
View Quote

Serious question:

Do you want to but finances don’t permit right now?

Also, do you have something with a pic rail?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have exactly one. I've done a few range trips and it just isn't for me.

I want to trade it to someone for their slide and something else.  

It slowed me down. Laser did the same when I tried that.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112839/1700951269483_jpg-3040016.JPG
View Quote

Did you do any dryfire?

First time I shot a handgun optic I fucking hated it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gonna send in a couple Glock slides to Battlewerks when I get the money. I have some debt to take care of first. Plus, I'll need not only a couple rds, but also suppressor height sights. That will add up quick. I'm doing ok, but I'm not rich or even upper middle class.
View Quote

It’s probably been mentioned already but you won’t need the irons once you have a good dot mounted. I get wanting to have backups. I did the same thing with my rifle. And my G45. Aimpoint and RMR.

I’ve never once used the irons on any gun I’ve got a dot on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, anything I carry, has or will have green dot sights.
Irons are great, my eyes say to hell with irons.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I like both
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cool. Show us the research.

Also, how are you predicting how your defensive encounter will shake out?

Please predict mine so I can adjust my gear accordingly.

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CCW neither. Research has shown that nearly all SD situations are within a few yards and practically never go to a second mag. Dots and irons within a few yards would not make a difference for me.

Me CCW, g26, irons, NS, IWB. Any additions makes it cumbersome for no reason. That is me. YMMV.

Cool. Show us the research.

Also, how are you predicting how your defensive encounter will shake out?

Please predict mine so I can adjust my gear accordingly.

Thanks.

33,000 SD situations only 1 went a 2nd mag.(John Correia NRA 23) Long distances SD comes into question. That's enough. By the way, I said for me and YMMV. RIF.

If you want a light and and dot to do SD at 50 yards and wear a plate....go for it. Let's try this again....YMMV.

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#32]
RD acquisition just takes time to get down. For those who put in the time after using irons, or have used them from the very beginning such as a new shooter who never had a pistol without RD, will in general prefer RD over irons 9 times out of 9.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Speaking of Autist, your post makes zero sense.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#34]
No of course not.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The APD officer making 2 hits at 165m with his .40, on that asshole shooting up a building with an AK comes to mind.

I will continue to argue though that on the "must disappear" form factor, a CT-like laser ends up working better than even an RMRcc.  Both eyes open, and I'm not consciously looking for the dot.  It's just there. (I still have Kahr's trigger pull, and a likely malfunction drill to deal with, but that's on me)
View Quote

That happens with a dot as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I shoot ok with irons.

I may get a dot, but I am hand to mouth on ammo so that’s where my monthly gun money goes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
FPNI. The "RDS Everything!" bros are sometimes like reformed sinners. "I Saw the Light!!!!"

If you like them, fine. I have some. I don't need them on everything. You decide what's best for you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

33,000 SD situations only 1 went a 2nd mag.(John Correia NRA 23) Long distances SD comes into question. That's enough. By the way, I said for me and YMMV. RIF.

If you want a light and and dot to do SD at 50 yards and wear a plate....go for it. Let's try this again....YMMV.

View Quote

The guy who wears cat ears at the range?  

Yeah.  I am certain he's watched 33,000 videos of shootings, and there's no way he's making up a number to sell his "training."

(In 2017 it was 12,000, which means he's watched/analyzed another 10 shootout videos per day, every single day, for 6 years straight)
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Did you do any dryfire?

First time I shot a handgun optic I fucking hated it.
View Quote

I think it's a grip angle thing to me. I've been almost exclusively glock since the late 80's. I can look a an outlet across the house, close my eyes and raise the gun.... and I'm on it.

I do point shooting drills. Not a 10 ring guy, but decently quick with center mass hits. With the optic, half of the optic cross hair is buried.  Even with my aging eyes, I have a good batting average on steel at 100 yards.  

I just don't think I can warm up to it. I'm rural and rarely far from a rifle too.

I don't doubt it's awesome for a lot of shooters, but I hate it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#40]
In a word NO.  The benefits seem pretty marginal to me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
In a word NO.  The benefits seem pretty marginal to me.
View Quote

If the training is marginal, then the results will be, too.

"Marginal" is subjective in a some ways, in others(timer) it is not a subjective benefit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Imagine if the RDS naysayers spent time practicing drawing from holster, working on presentation, and dry fired instead of arguing would see themselves improve..

Just say'n.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Imagine if the RDS naysayers spent time practicing drawing from holster, working on presentation, and dry fired instead of arguing would see themselves improve..

Just say'n.
View Quote

I do that, and it has improved my ability with iron sights.  I don't doubt it would do so with optics, but at this stage of my life I am sticking with irons.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I relatively recently started switching over to RDS on pistols that I carry or intend on potentially carrying.

My main reason is that my vision is not what it used to be.

That said, my presentation has improved and I suspect that after enough training, even if my battery died or the sight failed for some reason, I’d still be faster than with irons.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah.  I am certain he's watched 33,000 videos of shootings, and there's no way he's making up a number to sell his "training."

(In 2017 it was 12,000, which means he's watched/analyzed another 10 shootout videos per day, every single day, for 6 years straight)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He has a staff. I met the staff. Good people. Still, you need to do you. I've not spent a penny on his material. I agree, the car ears is a tad off. But so are you so it balances out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
RDS on pistols have gotten more popular.

Some handguns don't lend themselves to having a RDS due to design.

Others do.

Are you moving to RDS on all pistols that you can?  

Why keep any with iron sights if you don't have to?
View Quote
I've got exactly 1 handgun set up with an optic right now.

If I end up with another, or even a couple more, it'll be due to someone showing off a picture that screams "build me."
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think it's a grip angle thing to me. I've been almost exclusively glock since the late 80's. I can look a an outlet across the house, close my eyes and raise the gun.... and I'm on it.

I do point shooting drills. Not a 10 ring guy, but decently quick with center mass hits. With the optic, half of the optic cross hair is buried.  Even with my aging eyes, I have a good batting average on steel at 100 yards.  

I just don't think I can warm up to it. I'm rural and rarely far from a rifle too.

I don't doubt it's awesome for a lot of shooters, but I hate it.
View Quote

Are you not mounting the optic on a Glock?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t really care about the magazine thing.  Still wondering about this research about range, though.

For myself? I want the most capability and performance I can get from contact distance to 50 yards or so from the gun I carry every day.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I have both, and I prefer iron sights.

Finding the "dot" I find slows me down, and I have never had iron sights fail. I will say I have not had a RDS fail, yet. If you prefer RDS that great!
View Quote

That's because you are shooting wrong.. you don't find the dot. You look at the target, raise your weapon then the dot transposed on the target. You don't have to look for or align your iron sights or look and search for your dot. It's a much simpler concept and works really well with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah like Elija Dickens or the dude that shot the church shooter with a 357 Sig from 75 feet away.

Jesus christ this place is full of ignorant luddites.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top