Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How will your dot handle black paint and sand?
View Quote

Wut
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

There it is. The mantra of those that don't train.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm perfectly confident the iron sights having CC guns I use will get me through any self defense encounter I might find myself in.  I don't feel the need to larp like I'm some special forces soldier.

There it is. The mantra of those that don't train.

Get good with what you have. No one cares if it's irons or a red dot.

Shit like this is bad for our community. If someone needs a red dot to be fast and accurate then they should use one. If they don't then it shouldn't upset anyone.

Someone shooting fast and accurate with irons shouldn't get anyone's panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s how I’m gonna buy it. ??
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That’s how I’m gonna buy it. ??
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

WHAT IF SOMEONE RUNS MUH OPTIC UNDER THE FAUCET
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT IF SOMEONE RUNS MUH OPTIC UNDER THE FAUCET

@WhiskersTheCat
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I died 3 times just today….but I was only mostly dead.
View Quote

You must have been brought to miracle max.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Shit like this is bad for our community. If someone needs a red dot to be fast and accurate then they should use one. If they don't then it shouldn't upset anyone.

Someone shooting fast and accurate with irons shouldn't get anyone's panties in a bunch.
View Quote

Who’s mad that someone is good with irons?

Nobody.

Point———-> your head.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#9]

I was 99% sure it was him but the 1% prevented me from tagging him
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mention fucked up and did not lead me to the quote

Doesn't matter Trijicon all the things
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Working guns all have electronic optics.

Some of the play guns still have irons.
View Quote

This is where I'm at pretty much.  Sometimes I carry a g48 that is irons only though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I fired 22 rounds today not including dry fires, so I'm pretty sure that makes me more right.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Red dot misfired.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Red dot misfired.
View Quote

And one ND
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got this...

[youtube]shorts/aUz781cwNPA[/youtube]

Edit, maybe I don't. On my phone,  can't fix it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have noticed that lately..

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Embedded shorts won’t work bruh.  Embed link
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Wut
View Quote

My dude:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Embedded shorts won’t work bruh.  Embed link
View Quote

It wasn't a "short" when I uploaded it 3 years ago. No idea how that works, not a YT guy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I got this...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aUz781cwNPA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got this...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/aUz781cwNPA

I gots you boo!

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#22]

LOL

This place is gold!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Lmao. Holy crap you have no damn clue what you are talking about.

First 99% of all the optics are already turned on and you don't have to touch a button.
Your failure to use an optic correctly or get training or help to learn how to use one proves nothing. They are much simpler to use than iron sights. You use them differently and focus on your target with both eyes open and raise your pistol into your view then the dot transposed on your target.

We train with the optic occluded fully and the dot will supper impose to your opposite eye and you still make shots extremely effectively, so your point about getting it covered is pointless, and they are waterproof.

They are extremely usefull within 25 meters and in, especially with uncommon firing positions where you couldn't get a proper sight picture with irons as you don't need to align all your sights. It is also much faster than iron sights. And iron sights do fail. They break and fall off as well.
View Quote

How many gunfights have you been in? It please tell me its more than 3.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Whoops!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes more than 3.. quite a few more than 3.
How many have you been in?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nobody.

Point———-> your head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody.

Point———-> your head.

You really sound like someone we should all look to for advice.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

As opposed to someone who completely misses the point being made?

OK
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#29]
No.  I have three / four carry guns with RDSs: a Hellcat OSP with a Holsoun 407K-X2 green, a slide with a Trijicon RMRcc I can put on either a P80 subcompact or a G26.3, and a P80 compact with a Holosun 507C-X2 ACSS.  All other handguns, both revolvers and semi-autos will maintain iron saights only (except for a P80 full-size 9mm (G17 size) that I may well put a Trijican RMR on.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

OK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK

If your first post was sarcastic I didn't pick up on it. Reading and playing video games with my son at the same time. Re-read, still don't see it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If your first post was sarcastic I didn't pick up on it. Reading and playing video games with my son at the same time. Re-read, still don't see it.
View Quote

Maybe focus on playing the game with your son instead of half reading half playing?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#32]
If you’re talking deliberate aim, you’re attempting murder.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:08:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I had one RD equipped Pistol and did not like it enough to switch all of them. Switching only one messed up my presentation.

Now Irobs on every Handgun again.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Nope. Tried it, but didn't like it on my Sig P365 XL. Red dots are nice for long distance shooting, but I have a rifle with a red dot for that. I don't have a problem hitting a human sized target within 20 yards anyway.
For cc my dot kept getting all dirty from ball dust and pocket lint, I don't have to worry about that as much with iron sights.
View Quote
Effective range of a handgun is 50m. If you cant hit man sized target at that range you're doing yourself a disservice by not practicing and trying.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:12:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have both. I practice with both.

Soon iron sights will be like driving a stick. Not popular, but a useful skill to have.
View Quote
This. Im going to try the shadow cr920 though. Im going to try to keep irons on it so I can pocket carry when needed and keep a G48 MOS slide for it. For the occasion in which Im ccing with a holster. We'll see what happens though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes. Anyone arguing against it are just stubborn at this point. No one says I’d rather have an irons only AR so why do it with a pistol?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Watch out everybody…we have a gun fu fighter here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Have a G22 getting milled for a 507c.  Never something I'll carry but wanted to give it a try.  Atleast it's an rmr footprint and not something proprietary.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have several pistols with optics, including my carry 365XL.
I've shot drills but not in the clock.
It doesn't slow me down (practice, imagine that) and gives me precision with less concentration required.

My newer woods gun (m&p 10mm) also wears a dot.
Pegged this guy climbing a tree at ~20 yd center mass this morning.
Should make a neat mount if we can patch up the entry hole

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/173511/1000000603_jpg-3039812.JPG

View Quote

I've been known to whack squirrels with my carry gun. This was with a Gen5 G17 with an Acro P1 mounted to it at about 40 yards (witnessed) using 124 +P HST:

This was about 65 yards, witnessed.

This was just under 50:

I don't believe I could have made any of these shots with irons. The sight itself is just too big to give a sufficiently precise reference. I mean, a squirrel's head at 40 yards is not a lot to shoot at. Having a 3.5 MOA dot let me actually see the dot and the squirrel's head. It was a lot easier to track the critter through the woods

I used the same gun/ammo/optic combo to end a couple of wounded deer with shots to the brain stem. Also something that would have been more difficult to do with iron sights. Not impossible on the deer, but harder to achieve in the fleeting moment where their head was still enough to break that shot.

Do I need one on a carry gun? No. At least not yet. I can see my sights well enough but I can already sense my vision getting a little bit worse. I just upped the font on my phone by a notch, for example. I hope it doesn't get worse, but odds are it will. Which sucks..

The dot is a more precise aiming reference than iron sights. A 2-6 MOA dot is a hell of a lot smaller than a 14-16 MOA front sight. On a moving target in varying light (like in the woods) the dot allows you to gather more precise information about the shot more quickly and that helps take advantage in the brief moments between when a game animal is moving.

Is that relevant to self defense? Not to your typical self defense shooting, no. I surely doesn't hurt any in a typical self defense shooting, but it's kind of a wash in terms of advantage. Now when we start talking atypical self defense shooting, that's a different story.

Having used a dot equipped handgun since 2018, I'm not really buying any more primary cary guns that aren't optics ready.

I did buy a P365 recently that isn't optics capable, but that gun is intended for a maximum concealment role where I would otherwise be packing a J frame. It needs to be as small as possible and that precludes an optic. But apart from that niche, I'm buying optics ready guns from now on.

I also got kind of used to that Gen5 G17 giving laser-beam accuracy. (It's the most accurate Glock I've ever seen in person...got really lucky with it) So when I transitioned to the M&P I've installed Apex barrels which make them shoot even more accurately than my squirrel and deer-killing G17 was. Just haven't had the chance to kill any critters with one yet.

When you can aim at a 6" plate at 100 yards and consistently hit it with your carry gun, that's pretty friggin' nice. Unnecessary for typical defensive work, sure...but having that capability costs me nothing at 3 yards so why not?
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a horrible level of astigmatism in both eyes.

I dislike red dots.  I have to adjust the brightness level all the time. Sun's out? dial up. Cloud blocks sun? dial down. Sun returns? dial up.  If I don't I'm looking at a comet tail and not a dot.

My accuracy drops with a dot but my splits improve, but not enough to justify going with dots.

Back when I first got in to dots, I had a different prescription so I essentially saw 3 inverted horseshoes overlapping each other.  So I shot the middle horseshoe which worked. New prescription turned that in to a comet tail pointing at 2 o'clock.
View Quote

I see a starburst with a trail going in different directions depending on the lighting and my eyes in any given situation. I just shoot for the bulk of the mass that I see. That has worked well enough to let me hit C zone steel in the head at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:33:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I see a starburst with a trail going in different directions depending on the lighting and my eyes in any given situation. I just shoot for the bulk of the mass that I see. That has worked well enough to let me hit C zone steel in the head at 50 yards.
View Quote

Circle dot really helped my astigmatism as did green dot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Get and get good with both.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Get and get good with both.
View Quote

I agree. You should be proficient with both.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#45]
I still haven't shot an optic-equipped pistol.  

My department is getting them next month, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of it before I invest my own money in one.  

If I like it (meaning I pick it up relatively quickly and naturally and don't feel like I'm chasing the dot all the time) I'll probably buy a new carry gun equipped with a RDS. But I don't think I'm going to send all my existing pistols off to get milled.  I can't afford that many optics anyway.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Folks, arguing irons vs. dots on most shooting tasks is kind of like arguing about the windshield of a car in terms of its performance.

All either do is tell you where the thing is pointed. When we start talking the extreme ends of accuracy and distance, the dot pulls ahead with a clear advantage...but for most handgun work it's moot IF you can actually see sights.

I've been involved in formal firearms training for more than 20 years. The number of people who really understand irons is tiny, mostly because they're almost always taught badly.  

But ultimately the shit on top of the gun doesn't shoot the gun any more than your windshield steers the car. They're just what you look through to make sure you're going where you want.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:41:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I still haven't shot an optic-equipped pistol.  

My department is getting them next month, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of it before I invest my own money in one.  

If I like it (meaning I pick it up relatively quickly and naturally and don't feel like I'm chasing the dot all the time) I'll probably buy a new carry gun equipped with a RDS. But I don't think I'm going to send all my existing pistols off to get milled.  I can't afford that many optics anyway.
View Quote

It will probably take a bit of time to adjust if you are used to irons as you are used to focusing on your sights. You need to change focus to your target and allow the dot to impose on the target with both eyes open. It's an adjustment.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao. Holy crap you have no damn clue what you are talking about.

First 99% of all the optics are already turned on and you don't have to touch a button.
Your failure to use an optic correctly or get training or help to learn how to use one proves nothing. They are much simpler to use than iron sights. You use them differently and focus on your target with both eyes open and raise your pistol into your view then the dot transposed on your target.

We train with the optic occluded fully and the dot will supper impose to your opposite eye and you still make shots extremely effectively, so your point about getting it covered is pointless, and they are waterproof.

They are extremely usefull within 25 meters and in, especially with uncommon firing positions where you couldn't get a proper sight picture with irons as you don't need to align all your sights. It is also much faster than iron sights. And iron sights do fail. They break and fall off as well.

Dude... that little logo in the upper left corner of his profile pic is the emblem of Army Special Forces. I feel like he knows something about fighting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Yeah like Elija Dickens or the dude that shot the church shooter with a 357 Sig from 75 feet away.

Jesus christ this place is full of ignorant luddites.
View Quote

And both those events occurred with open sights. You also misspelled his name. Might want to rethink your ignorant label.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Folks, arguing irons vs. dots on most shooting tasks is kind of like arguing about the windshield of a car in terms of its performance.

All either do is tell you where the thing is pointed. When we start talking the extreme ends of accuracy and distance, the dot pulls ahead with a clear advantage...but for most handgun work it's moot IF you can actually see sights.

I've been involved in formal firearms training for more than 20 years. The number of people who really understand irons is tiny, mostly because they're almost always taught badly.  

But ultimately the shit on top of the gun doesn't shoot the gun any more than your windshield steers the car. They're just what you look through to make sure you're going where you want.
View Quote

I agree for the most part. I do find new shooters tend to pick up red dots faster than irons on pistols while very seasoned shooters require more time to adjust from irons to red dots.

Both require training and are useless if you don't train and learn how to shoot them properly.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top