BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dude... that little logo in the upper left corner of his profile pic is the emblem of Army Special Forces. I feel like he knows something about fighting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lmao. Holy crap you have no damn clue what you are talking about.

First 99% of all the optics are already turned on and you don't have to touch a button.
Your failure to use an optic correctly or get training or help to learn how to use one proves nothing. They are much simpler to use than iron sights. You use them differently and focus on your target with both eyes open and raise your pistol into your view then the dot transposed on your target.

We train with the optic occluded fully and the dot will supper impose to your opposite eye and you still make shots extremely effectively, so your point about getting it covered is pointless, and they are waterproof.

They are extremely usefull within 25 meters and in, especially with uncommon firing positions where you couldn't get a proper sight picture with irons as you don't need to align all your sights. It is also much faster than iron sights. And iron sights do fail. They break and fall off as well.

How many gunfights have you been in? It please tell me its more than 3.
Dude... that little logo in the upper left corner of his profile pic is the emblem of Army Special Forces. I feel like he knows something about fighting.

Helps to @Nicodemus7
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It will probably take a bit of time to adjust if you are used to irons as you are used to focusing on your sights. You need to change focus to your target and allow the dot to impose on the target with both eyes open. It's an adjustment.
View Quote
We have I think 10 hours and 400 rounds of training before we qualify, which is making me nervous because our range sessions have a habit of being disorganized goatfucks with little opportunity to actually learn.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We have I think 10 hours and 400 rounds of training before we qualify, which is making me nervous because our range sessions have a habit of being disorganized goatfucks with little opportunity to actually learn.
View Quote

I just hit you with a PM that I think will help, there. Holler back if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of dry fire and draw from holster if you can.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 10:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would say the G45 MOS with the FCD plate is the way to go!

The longer grip is really not that much longer vs a G19.

Daily the X Carry which is no issue to CC.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53058602343_8d7b697c72_h.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The dot going out is preferable because that way it won't tempt you into actually aiming. I mount a dot for redundancy, then tape over both it and my irons to force myself to point shoot.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still haven't shot an optic-equipped pistol.  

My department is getting them next month, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of it before I invest my own money in one.  

If I like it (meaning I pick it up relatively quickly and naturally and don't feel like I'm chasing the dot all the time) I'll probably buy a new carry gun equipped with a RDS. But I don't think I'm going to send all my existing pistols off to get milled.  I can't afford that many optics anyway.
View Quote

All jokes and bullshit aside, here’s the real shit:

If you pick up an optics equipped handgun, go to the range cold and try and shoot the same way as you do with irons it’s going to suck.  Been there.

Don’t even think about live fire until you spend some time in dryfire.  Just simple presentations for 10-15 minutes a day.  I did 5 minutes of present to first shot, then 5 minutes of present to two shots, reload, two shots, then 5 minutes of present, engage three targets with two rounds each, reload and repeat.

Day 1-2 - This sucks. It sucks, it’s slow and I don’t like it.

Day 3-5 - There might be something to this.

Day 5-6 - There is definitely something to this.

Day 7+ - I WANT THESE ON EVERY GUN I OWN.

There’s no shortcut to this.  You have to put in the time.  If you do, the juice is worth the squeeze.  But don’t lie to yourself, if you’re not going to put in the work it’s not going to work for you.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I removed the irons off my PDP after the first time I took it to the range with the RMR. There's just something really awesome about hitting center mass on targets at 100 yards with a 9mm pistol!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I just hit you with a PM that I think will help, there. Holler back if you have any questions.
View Quote
I've got a couple of weeks before the class, so I'll put some time into this and see if I can get ahead of the curve.  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:30:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I lifted my 2wd truck my dick grew 2 inches. Facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RDS are like a body lift on a truck.

Does very little for actual performance. Makes short guys with small weenies feel tough.

Then why is there such a large difference in performance when you’re tracking results?

When I lifted my 2wd truck my dick grew 2 inches. Facts.

Off to find cyber Monday sales on lift kits.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've got a couple of weeks before the class, so I'll put some time into this and see if I can get ahead of the curve.  Thanks!!
View Quote

Cool. Let me know how it works out!
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Taping over the front of the optic will help you learn target focus.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Taping over the back of the optic will keep you from aiming, which is good because aiming will get you kilt in the streets.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Taping over the back of the optic will keep you from aiming, which is good because aiming will get you kilt in the streets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy shoots. Aiming is for faggots.

(srs version: I have a couple pistols with optics, the others aren't optics-capable yet. I'm not as good with the optics as I should be, I'm just a slacker.)
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

(srs version: I have a couple pistols with optics, the others aren't optics-capable yet. I'm not as good with the optics as I should be, I'm just a slacker.)
View Quote

That's where you're wrong: I don't shoot, because practice will also get you kilt in da streetz. I will my bullets into the target; or I would if I ever shot, which I don't because practice etc, etc.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's where you're wrong: I don't shoot, because practice will also get you kilt in da streetz. I will my bullets into the target; or I would if I ever shot, which I don't because practice etc, etc.
View Quote

I just raise my hand and my enemies head explode. No need to train...
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My power level is too weak, I must not-train harder and redeem my honor
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steven Seagal - Lawman - Shooting Practice ####

if Seagal didn't need a red dot then you don't either. He's better with a classic .45 with irons than any of y'all are with your plastic and electronic bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I haven't even really started putting red dots on rifles yet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Helps to @Nicodemus7
View Quote
Really didn't care enough to bother but thanks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I've seen plenty of iron sights fail.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Uhm..

@45-Seventy you need to make a pamphlet for when you are being sarcastic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Taping over your eyes is a fucking Pro-Level move.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:17:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve also hallucinated.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Come on man.  At least make an effort.

The photo literally shows a gun with the front sight missing
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Uhm..

@45-Seventy you need to make a pamphlet for when you are being sarcastic.
View Quote

Luuuuuulz
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ooh!  Someone should start a thread on "natural point of aim."
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#30]
The whole.argumwnt.is.pedantic

Shoot your way to.your car where your rifle is stored and get the fuck out of dodge or stand and fight with your long gun.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Shoot your way to.your car where your rifle is stored and get the fuck out of dodge or stand and fight with your long gun.
View Quote

LOL.  This isn't a movie, gunfight will be over long before you get to your car
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You overestimate both his and his adversary's ability to (not) aim. Don't deny them their ninja-moment.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#33]
My eyesight made the decision for me. Now I wish I'd have transitioned a few of my pistols years ago.

I, too, carry a G45 daily most of the year. Occasionally it gets switched out to a G48 both of which wear Holosuns.

My 43's just wear irons due to the fact that they, generally, get carried either in a pocket or ankle holster.

I shoot once a week but try to dry fire at least some, every night. (I'm retired so time isn't an issue)

Regardless of which sighting system you choose TRAIN.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#34]
What is the preferred setup for irons with RDS, specifically wrt dots (front/rear), tritium, etc?

My first one, I was worried about a confusing sight picture: P320M18 I went with a 2.5moa DPP+their rear & straight steel (no enhancement, just black serrated) Dawson .400h x .125w front and it works ok, find myself fishing around for the dot quite a bit

Just put together a HKVP9OR with an RMR and grudgingly accepted an XS front green tritium with orange surround since it shipped fastest. Happy Mistake! BTW these sights are unexpectedly nuclear-bright, blows away any other tritium sights I've used

On that particular sight with the RMR, orange surround with green trit through the window is not distracting at all, and I think helps index better

Anyway, the front dot as an index has made things a bit faster for sure. Always looking to improve!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What is the preferred setup for irons with RDS, specifically wrt dots (front/rear), tritium, etc?

My first one, I was worried about a confusing sight picture: P320M18 I went with a 2.5moa DPP+their rear & straight steel (no enhancement, just black serrated) Dawson .400h x .125w front and it works ok, find myself fishing around for the dot quite a bit

Just put together a HKVP9OR with an RMR and grudgingly accepted an XS front green tritium with orange surround since it shipped fastest. Happy Mistake! BTW these sights are unexpectedly nuclear-bright, blows away any other tritium sights I've used

On that particular sight with the RMR, orange surround with green trit through the window is not distracting at all, and I think helps index better

Anyway, the front dot as an index has made things a bit faster for sure. Always looking to improve!
View Quote

I just do black sights. Less confusing sight picture as they say, but mostly because it's cheaper for sights that are just backups. If it's too dark to see the sights I'm lighting up the U-boat and the irons are going to be a black silhouette no matter what they are anyway.

If your presentation is good you don't need to hunt for the dot. Using the irons as a crutch can help in the beginning works but you should be able to just look at your target and bring the optic up in line. Dry fire until you get there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dudes talking about 50 and 100 yard shots with rds.

And gun fights unfortunately last a lot longer than people think.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:01:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I haven't put an RDS on any of mine yet.    Yet.  

I might, but I'm just old school.  

For most of my applications the smaller and sleeker form factor of basic iron sights and the system simplicity appeals more to my interests.  There are appeals to the RDS that I can appreciate, but to date, no - I haven't switched anything to one yet, much less everything! ??
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

True or Lower-Third cowitness are both very popular, I hate them both. I don't even use "suppressor height" irons, I aim "through" the can. When I'm using an optic I like my picture to be as un-cluttered as possible.

It's a very personal preference, and you have to try them all for a bit to see what works best for you.

For getting used to the optic, there's also the ACSS Vulcan reticle now, which has a huge ring around it so if you lose the dot you know which direction it is to pick it back up. I definitely recommend that at first, instead of using the irons as the index point when you have to go fishing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:17:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:38:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
All my current and future carry guns have optic cuts.

Iron sights are range toys.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:50:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
All my current and future carry guns have optic cuts.

Iron sights are range toys.
View Quote

I have iron sights on all my handguns.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:06:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am no longer putting irons on rifles.  If you are running a magnified scope and a RDS, no need for irons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I would love to think I would be happy putting a dot on my 365xl, but the fact is, I'm a short, fat (working on that) little dude.  Anything other than pocket carry is never really comfortable for me.  And I hate having stuff in my pockets.  For me carrying a gun is a giant uncomfortable PITA.  I'm pretty certain adding the bulk of a dot would make it worse.  I envy the guys that can CC something like a G17.
View Quote

The P365XL is an excellent gun for a dot.  Give it a try and you will never go back to irons.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I've only tried them a few times but didn't really see the point. I also don't use huge .140+ front sights though.

I did really like using the glocks with the geissele mounts. Reciprocating optics just suck.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm not moving to MRDS optics on EDC pistols. However, I just started carrying a Streamlight TLR-7A on a Glock 19.5 and also on a Glock 45. Neither are configured with the MOS option.

I do have a Holosun 507k mounted on my S&W M&P 5.7 but I've yet to get out to the range to dial it in.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#46]
No, I don't even own a handgun that will accept one. Most of my carry guns are out of production, I'm a dinosaur.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I still haven't shot an optic-equipped pistol.  

My department is getting them next month, so I'm looking forward to seeing what I think of it before I invest my own money in one.  

If I like it (meaning I pick it up relatively quickly and naturally and don't feel like I'm chasing the dot all the time) I'll probably buy a new carry gun equipped with a RDS. But I don't think I'm going to send all my existing pistols off to get milled.  I can't afford that many optics anyway.
View Quote

A proper transition course makes all the difference imo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've been known to whack squirrels with my carry gun. This was with a Gen5 G17 with an Acro P1 mounted to it at about 40 yards (witnessed) using 124 +P HST:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/squirrely-1705559.jpg

This was about 65 yards, witnessed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/squirrel65-1157210.jpg

This was just under 50:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/37749/squirrel50-1157209.jpg

I don't believe I could have made any of these shots with irons. The sight itself is just too big to give a sufficiently precise reference. I mean, a squirrel's head at 40 yards is not a lot to shoot at. Having a 3.5 MOA dot let me actually see the dot and the squirrel's head. It was a lot easier to track the critter through the woods

I used the same gun/ammo/optic combo to end a couple of wounded deer with shots to the brain stem. Also something that would have been more difficult to do with iron sights. Not impossible on the deer, but harder to achieve in the fleeting moment where their head was still enough to break that shot.

Do I need one on a carry gun? No. At least not yet. I can see my sights well enough but I can already sense my vision getting a little bit worse. I just upped the font on my phone by a notch, for example. I hope it doesn't get worse, but odds are it will. Which sucks..

The dot is a more precise aiming reference than iron sights. A 2-6 MOA dot is a hell of a lot smaller than a 14-16 MOA front sight. On a moving target in varying light (like in the woods) the dot allows you to gather more precise information about the shot more quickly and that helps take advantage in the brief moments between when a game animal is moving.

Is that relevant to self defense? Not to your typical self defense shooting, no. I surely doesn't hurt any in a typical self defense shooting, but it's kind of a wash in terms of advantage. Now when we start talking atypical self defense shooting, that's a different story.

Having used a dot equipped handgun since 2018, I'm not really buying any more primary cary guns that aren't optics ready.

I did buy a P365 recently that isn't optics capable, but that gun is intended for a maximum concealment role where I would otherwise be packing a J frame. It needs to be as small as possible and that precludes an optic. But apart from that niche, I'm buying optics ready guns from now on.

I also got kind of used to that Gen5 G17 giving laser-beam accuracy. (It's the most accurate Glock I've ever seen in person...got really lucky with it) So when I transitioned to the M&P I've installed Apex barrels which make them shoot even more accurately than my squirrel and deer-killing G17 was. Just haven't had the chance to kill any critters with one yet.

When you can aim at a 6" plate at 100 yards and consistently hit it with your carry gun, that's pretty friggin' nice. Unnecessary for typical defensive work, sure...but having that capability costs me nothing at 3 yards so why not?
View Quote

Very nice.
My last Glock (and 10mm) was a gen 3 G29 and it was a laser for a carry gun.
I'm keeping an eye out for upgrades for the M&P, I've got a 9 and 45 apex'd out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I am no longer putting irons on rifles.  If you are running a magnified scope and a RDS, no need for irons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd agree with that if the magnified scope is an ACOG.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’m not ditching my current G19s but my next purchase is going to be a G45 MOS set up like Lungbuster has his.
View Quote

Do it.
I did the same thing. I wanted to keep my 25 year old G19.3 in its original form for sentimental reasons.

Attachment Attached File

You won’t be disappointed.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top