Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3-5 years would be my guess.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long do you think that thing had been growing?
3-5 years would be my guess.  

Thanks for answering, that's ridiculous.. Florida doesn't get cold enough to to kill them in the winter huh..
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Did you kill them or just destroy the nest?

In other words are there now about 1 million POed Yellow Jackets cruising the FL swamp looking for pay back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of property was this?  I can't imagine just going after a nest in the middle of nowhere.  Somebody wanted them gone.
Church property. They didn't realize it was there until they started setting up platforms for campsites. It would have been about 100' to the nearest tent.    

Did you kill them or just destroy the nest?

In other words are there now about 1 million POed Yellow Jackets cruising the FL swamp looking for pay back.
They are all dead.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That is nuts. No issues with bees but wasps and yellow jackets, no way Jose.  Great job and thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you kill them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck. That.

Double fuck that. I'm dreading bushogging this weekend. Should have sprang for the cab on tractor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Double fuck that. I'm dreading bushogging this weekend. Should have sprang for the cab on tractor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck. That.

I hope it hauls ass...
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How do you kill them?
View Quote
Nest that large: insecticide (Demon WP) in a fruit sprayer and an industrial permethrin fogger.

Many, many other redneck methods for smaller nests exist (gas down the hole, soapy water, etc.).
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How do you kill them?
View Quote

Not big on reading are you that was answered on the first page .
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Did you make that area Great Again!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Were any of your Bee hives in the area of this nest and if so do/did the wasps interact/fight/party with them?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Did you make that area Great Again!
View Quote
lol.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#12]
OP, you should have used a product specifically designed to kill yellow jackets to take care of that thing not "insecticide".

Google "Carburetor cleaner".

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You should have taken that to a Hillary Clinton, or Bernie Sanders For President campaign rally, and dropped it off.
View Quote

Omg, best idea i have heard!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck. That.

I know that feeling exactly.

Every time I get on the tractor to mow I wish that it had a cab.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]
So you cut the tree down, then cut the nest open, then fog/sprayed the little bastards?

Do wasps have a queen like bees?

How do you know you killed them all?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So you cut the tree down, then cut the nest open, then fog/sprayed the little bastards?

Do wasps have a queen like bees?

How do you know you killed them all?
View Quote
First I sprayed all sides of the nest. Then fogged. Then sprayed. Then fogged. Then sprayed and fogged them HARD. Then cut down the tree and finished them off by ripping open the nest and spraying.

Yellow jacket nests this large can have hundreds/thousands of queens. I saw many, many queens today. They are quite large and more orange-ish (versus the standard bright yellow of the workers).
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
It seems like a colony that large would require a lot of food.

Do you know how far they would have to fly to find food sources?

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It seems like a colony that large would require a lot of food.

Do you know how far they would have to fly to find food sources?
View Quote
No idea. I know honeybees can/will travel several miles to food sources.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome!

How much does a job like that pay?

Are bees still in trouble like I was hearing a few years ago from a mysterious disease or something?

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Well done!
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
They build nests above ground like that in Flarda because nowhere is an in-ground nest is suitable?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
What's your estimate of how many YJ live in a nest that big?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Ho Lee Fuk!!!  
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I hate those bastards. I found a small in ground nest in my yard last week and killed it by pouring concentrated insecticide down the hold straight from the bottle duct taped to a stick at night. I've done this before and the nest is usually dead by morning. But the in ground nests around here aren't anywhere near the size of the one in your picture
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Finished off the job by chainsawing down the tree (btw their chainsaw blade was dull and I had THOUSANDS of YJ's all over me while their saw slllooooowwwwly cut through and vibrated the tree; I knew I should have brought my saw).  

When the tree fell I ripped it apart with a stick and sprayed the insides with Demon WP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you do with the nests?
Finished off the job by chainsawing down the tree (btw their chainsaw blade was dull and I had THOUSANDS of YJ's all over me while their saw slllooooowwwwly cut through and vibrated the tree; I knew I should have brought my saw).  

When the tree fell I ripped it apart with a stick and sprayed the insides with Demon WP.

Demon WP is awesome for nuke it from orbit kill.  I had wasps all over the back yard, could never find the nest.  Sprayed the yard, everything dead and no more wasps.  I didn't see any ants for like a year.

Were you tempted to shoot it with a BB gun?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:31:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Damn I wanted to see the queen.  

I have no problem with honeybees.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Awesome!

How much does a job like that pay?

Are bees still in trouble like I was hearing a few years ago from a mysterious disease or something?

View Quote
I did the job pro bono. A job like that would cost $1200-$1500.

Honeybees are primarily under attack from varroa mites, an imported mite from Asia. The mite is a vector of many bee diseases including Deformed Wing Virus (DWV) and Chronic Bee Paralysis. The mites feed on the blood of young bees, and capped pupae in their cells. There are some products (including some organic ones) that are available to treat for varroa mites. Left untreated an infested hive WILL collapse.

The varroa mites weaken the hive and then the hive is then finished off by African Small Hive Beetles and Wax Moths (Lesser and Greater).
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

What's your estimate of how many YJ live in a nest that big?
View Quote
I know a very large beehive can have 75,000-100,000 bees in it. This nest was also inside the tree and underground about 4' too, so I'm guessing about 500,000 to a 1,000,000.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here the nests are underground.  Are they all that big or is that some kind of harassed Florida yellow jacket?
View Quote

This is true for my part of AL
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Pffft ! Look at you -- using proper equipment and skill.  To hell with that!  

The challenge is doing it with a can of gas, a cigar and in cut off short & flips flops.
View Quote

You forgot "hold my beer and watch this"

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#32]
oh no!    Napalm!        I was a logger for two years and had enough of the little yellow bastages!   That is one mean insect!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Chugged massive Gatorade and water before I began. Had to piss the whole time but opening up 3 layers to go was a no-go. Thought about going in my suit like in "The Right Stuff" lol!  

When I was finished I was overheated (face red, beginning of chills, soaked clothes). I stripped down to 1 layer (pants and t-shirt), chugged Gatorade and cranked the AC baby!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you stay hydrated or did you take a water break?  3 hours in this infernal heat with all the stuff you had on must have been pure hell.
Chugged massive Gatorade and water before I began. Had to piss the whole time but opening up 3 layers to go was a no-go. Thought about going in my suit like in "The Right Stuff" lol!  

When I was finished I was overheated (face red, beginning of chills, soaked clothes). I stripped down to 1 layer (pants and t-shirt), chugged Gatorade and cranked the AC baby!

dang, you should have a nice camelback under your gear.  Throw some ice in the pouch, and some gatorade, good to go, no need to worry about heat exhaustion or worse.  The heat/humidity has been brutal lately.

be careful out there sir, and that was nice to do it for free
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#34]
I have never been stung and I have a huge paranoia about bees/wasps/etc. yet I have this bizarre obsession with suiting up and doing battle with a huge nest.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Goddamn, what a monster.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:23:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I battle with them and wasp all summer long. I killed out a YJ nest last year that was started in our attic with sevin dust at their place of entry. I have not been in the attic to see how big it was but they sure were loud.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I have never been stung and I have a huge paranoia about bees/wasps/etc. yet I have this bizarre obsession with suiting up and doing battle with a huge nest.

View Quote
I'll IM you for the next one.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:31:18 AM EDT
[#38]
You know, Florida does everything it can to remind people that it doesn't want you there
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:35:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#41]
I made the mistake of running over one/ disturbing a long Undisturbed nest with a lawnmower some years ago working in a state park.  At first I thought I ran over some sand as my legs started stinging. I had about 100 of those bastards on me and about 11 nty billion in the air. I " squeegee" my legs with my gloves and ran for the truck. They chased me into the truck lighting me up the whole way. They were in my shirt and I hand smashed about 20 of them inside the truck. I got stung about 100-125 times and was told to report back to the office. They made me sit there all day making sure I didn't go into anaphalyctic shock. I didn't but it still sucked terribly
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:36:01 AM EDT
[#42]
where's the video?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Wish I had a gopro when I was a kid, old guy came by and sprayed a yuuuge one in our yard. Still alive inside the tree and into the ground. He drilled a 2" hole, soaked with gas/diesel mix and stuck a d model rocket engine in it. Was pretty spectacular to see for a 8yo.

Cant beat a old redneck with skills.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pfft..  

http://youtu.be/1lJZ3GZGxm0

View Quote

I'm a beekeeper and also highly allergic to yellow jackets.  There is absolutely no way in hell that you could pay me enough to go after a YJ nest like that.  My skin was crawling just watching the few seconds of the video I managed to watch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I made the mistake of running over one/ disturbing a long Undisturbed nest with a lawnmower some years ago working in a state park.  At first I thought I ran over some sand as my legs started stinging. I had about 100 of those bastards on me and about 11 nty billion in the air. I " squeegee" my legs with my gloves and ran for the truck. They chased me into the truck lighting me up the whole way. They were in my shirt and I hand smashed about 20 of them inside the truck. I got stung about 100-125 times and was told to report back to the office. They made me sit there all day making sure I didn't go into anaphalyctic shock. I didn't but it still sucked terribly
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

where's the video?
View Quote
Thought about bringing my Go Pro with a stand but had to carry all of the equipment (fogger, chainsaw, sprayer) 300 feet back into the woods. Very, very hot today and I wanted to get done. It is hard to work a camera wearing two layers of gloves and dripping sweat everywhere.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I would've had to say no to that monster. I don't even have a full suit though, Just a Ultrabreeze jacket with hood so they woulda' tore me up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Ha....

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Pffft ! Look at you -- using proper equipment and skill.  To hell with that!  

The challenge is doing it with a can of gas, a cigar and in cut off short & flips flops.
View Quote

Motherfucking ARFCOM style!!

Don't forget the beer!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top