User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
What's the best way to determine if you have an underground nest... just sit back and observe?

How easy / common do they nest in attics?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know a very large beehive can have 75,000-100,000 bees in it. This nest was also inside the tree and underground about 4' too, so I'm guessing about 500,000 to a 1,000,000  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your estimate of how many YJ live in a nest that big?
I know a very large beehive can have 75,000-100,000 bees in it. This nest was also inside the tree and underground about 4' too, so I'm guessing about 500,000 to a 1,000,000  

Getting hit by a handful is a significant emotional event, don't want to think about a nest that size.

Fuck Florida.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Getting hit by a handful is a significant emotional event, don't want to think about a nest that size.

Fuck Florida.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your estimate of how many YJ live in a nest that big?

Fuck Florida.

Florida welcomes you with open stings arms.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What's the best way to determine if you have an underground nest... just sit back and observe?

How easy / common do they nest in attics?
View Quote
They don't nest very often in attics. I did remove one from a front porch ceiling of a friend's house about 4 months ago. It was fairly large (extended about 5' long and 18" wide). He had tried to bomb it 3x's with a fogger. I used Demon WP and a hoe to rip open the nest and pull it partially out to be sprayed.

If you observe you can see them coming and going. They usually tend to fly straight up and out (their angle of ascent and descent is steeper vs. honeybees). When mowing a new area I would most definitely walk it and observe it for YJ's first.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Tannerite
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top