BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These seem interesting but it seems like every state has some archaic law from the 50's which will ruin your life if you're caught with one.
View Quote

I suspect our laws were made by people who watched the Untouchables as children. And Bruce Lee movies.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of police uniforms used to have a pocket for them.

Heard from a few old timers they were great persuaders but easily misused. BTW, edge strikes were definitely part of the training for delivery to large muscles according to my dad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a S&W one.
My high school friend found in in a car his Dad just bought.
It was 1978. I gave him a buck.

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a tool the Taliban would use , I remember a friend of mine had one I think it was his dads as he was a bouncer in bars and nightclubs in Ireland anyway he just tapped me with it and it surprisingly hurt more than I thought it would ,yea I wouldn’t  t want to fight anyone who had one of those .
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Heard from a few old timers they were great persuaders but easily misused. BTW, edge strikes were definitely part of the training for delivery to large muscles according to my dad.
View Quote

Lol many uniforms still do. All mine have a sap pocket both sides. I keep a multitool in one and my espantoon goes through the belt ring and into the other.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Find this interesting.

For those scenarios where you don’t want to use a firearm, but still have a legal justification and need to adjust an attitude.
View Quote

There’s a pretty narrow range where you don’t have legal justification to use a firearm but you can smack them with a pound of lead in a leather sock.  Not to say saps and jacks don’t have utility; but lower legal use of force justification isn’t a strong point.

They are definitely capable of causing serious bodily injury even when targeted at large muscle groups like thighs or pectorals.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I got one of these. If you can't carry a weapon on campus, this is the next best thing. There's lead weights on each end.

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They're surprisingly completely unregulated in WA but that doesn't stop the retarded state academy instructors from showing pictures of saps and blackjacks in their PowerPoint slide show of regulated 'dangerous weapons'

The law says slung shot, sand clubs, and metal knuckles are illegal. Nothing about saps, jacks or non metal knuckles.

View Quote

Not an expert in WA law; but I’d look at how the courts have interpreted that and not just the letter of the law before carrying a sap or jack.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You should see what I can do with 9 inches.
View Quote
thats what I said
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If Texas tells me I can't have one, I am for sure ordering one then..
View Quote

They are legal to own and carry in Texas; but the prohibited places aspect of it is more complicated than firearms.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How about a weighted bookmark, you know, to keep books open?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/31Sv7gzEbWL._AC_.jpg

Available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other fine booksellers.

View Quote

Most of those don’t have a lot of weight in them or the stitching to stand up to a good whack; but people who make saps will certainly make you something that looks very much the same.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I can’t get past the leather aesthetic. Looks too much like a kinky bedroom toy. Or something one of the village ppl might whip out in a dance club.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Columbia’s Rugged Outdoor Chinos have an “accessory pocket” that is in the exact same place as a sap pocket and fits a Buchmeier Midget or Junior sap perfectly (depending on how comfortable you are with part showing).  They’re shit trousers besides that though - not rugged or durable.  Also a pound of lead on your thigh swings around a bit if you have to run.

Duluth Trading is another company.  Their Firehose Cargo pants/shorts have great pockets for sap midget/junior saps and it is actually a quality product.  However, they are even lower on the thigh than the ROC pants and of course, they look inappropriate in say, an office setting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are legal to own and carry in Texas; but the prohibited places aspect of it is more complicated than firearms.
View Quote

I can't read to well....
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Really seems like a much better offensive option than a defensive one.  If the fight is actually ongoing, I’d much rather have something like a nightstick or baton (let alone a knife or gun).

I really would like to have one, even though I’m way past the point of my life where I might actually need it.  

A much better tool for LE patrol than OC or TASER.  Widespread use of these in US law enforcement (and appropriate training/RoE) would have probably saved a lot of asshats killed by cops over the last decade or so.  Wake up a in a cell with a hell of a headache, or don’t wake up at all because you kicked a cop’s ass and got shot.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Head strikes with an impact weapon are a very effective way to kill people. Jesus Christ.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Interesting weapons for sure.

I  do wonder if anyone has used a “bookmark” or “change purse” as a defensive weapon, especially since they seem to be for people in places that don’t really want you to defend yourself. Can’t someone just Google “leather change purse that looks like a sap?” Kind of like the old fruit knife stuck in an apple “nonweapon.” Seems like the charade is weak.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was processing with KBR to go to Iraq in 2009 I took a close look at the weapon rules and noticed no mention of Saps and Expandable Batons.
Tried to find either one in Houston with no luck before flying out. In Iraq, I learned rebar works pretty well as a blunt impact weapon.

So the question is - would you rather carry a Sap or Asp Expandable baton?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When I was processing with KBR to go to Iraq in 2009 I took a close look at the weapon rules and noticed no mention of Saps and Expandable Batons.
Tried to find either one in Houston with no luck before flying out. In Iraq, I learned rebar works pretty well as a blunt impact weapon.

View Quote

sap.  

ASP just bends when you get after someone with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Spring activated ASP baton. they must be available somewhere in the world.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not today GD, you won't cost me any money.

Cause I bought one the last time this subject came up.
View Quote
But do you have one that matches your other shoes?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OC spray is a better alternative self-defense weapon than a sap. You're more likely to use that than a gun or a sap. Saps are cool, but legally speaking, they're pointless if you have a gun. Saps are from an age where cracking someone over the head was an acceptable action.

Besides, I'd rather have a collapsible baton than a sap.
View Quote
Collapsible batons are garbage. The short ones you could carry concealed are so short you have to get too close. The larger ones are too big to hide and the hollow shafts aren't very convincing when you strike where you are supposed to. You have to be close with a sap too, but I'd take a thigh shot from a baton over a sap any day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Collapsible batons are garbage. The short ones you could carry concealed are so short you have to get too close. The larger ones are too big to hide and the hollow shafts aren't very convincing when you strike where you are supposed to. You have to be close with a sap too, but I'd take a thigh shot from a baton over a sap any day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OC spray is a better alternative self-defense weapon than a sap. You're more likely to use that than a gun or a sap. Saps are cool, but legally speaking, they're pointless if you have a gun. Saps are from an age where cracking someone over the head was an acceptable action.

Hence one of the reasons for the spring loade. They don't collapse easily. And activating it gets a good first hit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
My 43X only weighs 4 more ounces…
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Old padlock in a sock is pretty effective too. That's what we used in the hood of my youth.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell in Tennessee I'd be more likely to get away with shooting someone in self defense than using that thing.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
These seem interesting but it seems like every state has some archaic law from the 50's which will ruin your life if you're caught with one.
View Quote

Virginia sure does otherwise I'd have one.  Or two

I could certainly just buy them to collect, but that doesn't interest me.  

Back in an earlier generation, these tools were certainly extremely useful for resolving certain social situations with a certain level of discretion.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hence one of the reasons for the spring loade. They don't collapse easily. And activating it gets a good first hit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a Monadnock that has a button to collapse it. It's a better compliance/movement tool than a striking one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, the expandable baton has more reach than an equally concealable sap/billy.  That’s pretty much the only advantage I can think of.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You should see what I can do with 9 inches.
View Quote
No gag reflex I take it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've got a Monadnock that has a button to collapse it. It's a better compliance/movement tool than a striking one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the original ASP had a compressed spring in it to expand the baton and keep it from collapsing. To collapse it you had to pretty much put all of your body weight over the top of it to compress it and then lock it. Beleive they were outlawed because people were walking up to others and releasing the spring loaded ones into their face. Seriously fucking them up. The original ASP was a serious contenda.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I still need to order one
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:05:44 AM EDT
[#33]
A monkey fist is easy to carry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes , in combination with the two rivets, the hand strap and the belt line seam of jeans. Stays right there, just make the choice between blade and sap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting.
Is it kept in place with just the belt pressure ?

Yes , in combination with the two rivets, the hand strap and the belt line seam of jeans. Stays right there, just make the choice between blade and sap.

@bgenlvtex
Just wanted to say thanks for the tip !
I hate stuff in my pockets and like the sap in the waistband much more than in back pocket.
Very comfy and is how I now carry it now, kinda stupid that I never considered that myself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, in many cases you might be better off legally shooting them. Automatic knives are another one.   They were only recently made legal here to even own.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Mean Gene makes a nice one. I carry it a lot.

https://www.meangeneleather.com/shop/mgl-hot-tamale-less-lethal-coin/

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top