BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 310
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think it has less to do with keeping interest and more to do with "that shit don't work yet".  

With as many bugs as come in the first release of Fallout titles that should be no surprise.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No skills in FO4?

Disturbing...

That because you didn't see it or they said it?

I kept seeing XP being given.

This.

How else will they determine things like HPs and proficiency with certain weapons, lock pick, stim packs, etc.

Yeah, it's just a demo.

Jeez, is this people's first E3 or something?

They don't ever reveal all of the mechanics in the initial reveal. They've got to keep people interested until launch.

I think it has less to do with keeping interest and more to do with "that shit don't work yet".  

With as many bugs as come in the first release of Fallout titles that should be no surprise.  

I'm REALLY hoping we can get a bug free game. They've been working on it since FO3. FONV even to this day is one of the buggiest games I've ever played on ps3.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm REALLY hoping we can get a bug free game. They've been working on it since FO3. FONV even to this day is one of the buggiest games I've ever played on ps3.
View Quote

I'm really hoping the clouds open up later and shower me with naked hot redheads.

Between the two of us I have a better chance than you do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No skills in FO4?

Disturbing...

XP and skills are totally separate in fallout.

Every shot, every lockpick, every stimpak use involves a skill check. IF it's not there yet, it's not going to be
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Every shot, every lockpick, every stimpak use involves a skill check. IF it's not there yet, it's not going to be
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No skills in FO4?

Disturbing...

They go up at each level, which is obtained through xp.

There is some dynamic of improving skills.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No skills in FO4?

Disturbing...

Of course you can improve skills- otherwise it would be stupid.

But gaining XP does not directly improve skills, it merely provides a punctuated opportunity for a player to add skill points (the number of which comes from SPECIAL, not the xp or level itself).
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm really hoping the clouds open up later and shower me with naked hot redheads.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to be optimistic...or dillusional.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Who's got a cool location for me to explore in NV that is off the path from the main story line? I think tonight after the little one goes to bed I'm going to have a tall glass of whiskey and just roam the wasteland with no purpose, sniping everything in sight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No skills in FO4?

Disturbing...

It will probably be like Skyrim was, where instead of adding points in the menu, points are added based on what you do.

Want to improve your lockpick?  Pick locks.  Want to improve your marksmanship?  Shoot things.  Want to improve your explosives?  Blow stuff up.  Same with weapons repair, stimpacks, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It will probably be like Skyrim was, where instead of adding points in the menu, points are added based on what you do.

Want to improve your lockpick?  Pick locks.  Want to improve your marksmanship?  Shoot things.  Want to improve your explosives?  Blow stuff up.  Same with weapons repair, stimpacks, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No skills in FO4?

Disturbing...

Even if that were the case, I would still expect the player skill levels to be visible in the pipboy.  My guess is that they have yet to implement the final skill system.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's got a cool location for me to explore in NV that is off the path from the main story line? I think tonight after the little one goes to bed I'm going to have a tall glass of whiskey and just roam the wasteland with no purpose, sniping everything in sight.

Go here:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Deathclaw_promontory

Its safe.

Yes. Very safe. Lots of good loot. You should check it out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go here:

Its safe.

Get this mod, and roam around the underground.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go here:

Its safe.

Lol "safe"

Looks good. As long as I can avoid a deathclaw gang rape I can hold my own. Yesterday I was at the quarry and out of nowhere 5 or 6 deathclaws came running down the hill at me and it took me a good 20 tries to get out of there. I had accomplished too much since my last save and refused to load from it. Finally somehow I went into the building to avoid dying and the deathclaws appeared in the build with me. I immediately went back outside and ran like a little girl
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I was up in Deathclaw Promontory yesterday....no deathclaws. They didn't spawn.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I'd be fine with a gated perk tree.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#17]
gamestop put pipboy edition up on their website, it said will not be availabe for pick up in store.

last night PC was sold out, this morning they are all sold out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gated as in something like Skyrim?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never played Skyrim, but kinda.  I heard some of the gates were ridiculous.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#20]
So with the expanded crafting, fallout 4 can be a post apocalyptic version of the Sims?

I may have to rethink my anti-slavery position...
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So with the expanded crafting, fallout 4 can be a post apocalyptic version of the Sims?

View Quote

Pyramid plan?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pyramid plan?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pyramid plan?

No, but that gives me another idea...

RustedAce will dub me primitive if I build a pyramid, but a post-apocalyptic ziggurat made of trash may serve my needs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple of the best Fallout New Vegas mods:

New Vegas Bounties:

www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37310/

New Vegas Bounties II

www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41184/

They are VERY well done.  Several memorable moments and intense gunfights.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Some Fallout tunes to get in the mood!

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Some Fallout tunes to get in the mood!

http://youtu.be/lXNOz-HkoOM

http://youtu.be/TWRCnzCiFPE  
View Quote

Always thought this was the best song on FO3

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I love this fucking fallout game but it keeps fucking crashing on me and by the time i get the app to successfully re open my electricity, water, and food are in the red and everyones dying.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Your companions can't die apparently in FO4:  IGN story

I guess their reasoning makes sense, but it does make the game easier if you don't have to worry about them.  Hopefully companions will still be able to be knocked out at least during battles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I guess their reasoning makes sense, but it does make the game easier if you don't have to worry about them.  Hopefully companions will still be able to be knocked out at least during battles.
View Quote

Im guessing the side kick will reset.

For example, if the dog looses health to the point where he would " die" he will yelp and run off screen and return to his dog house, or some sort of safe zone. like the abandoned gas station you find him at.

Then once you successfully survive the battle you were in, you can go retrieve him.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly, I think it's a waste of time to allow them to be killed anyways.

Either they'll become expendable, and you'll never care about them, or you'll constantly re-load saves before they were killed or just not bring them on particularly dangerous quests.

*ETA: Not sure why they're acting like this is new to Fallout. NV does the same thing where your companions don't die.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't like the sound of that. It's bad enough the dialogue options have been modeled after Mass Effect. This is suppose to be a world with consequences, not some nerfed down game for kids and shitty players.

Eta: Guess I'll save time reloading saves.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Either they'll become expendable, and you'll never care about them, or you'll constantly re-load saves before they were killed or just not bring them on particularly dangerous quests.

*ETA: Not sure why they're acting like this is new to Fallout. NV does the same thing where your companions don't die.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that's Bethesda's position on it.  I still hope they include the hardcore mode where the companions can die.  I hate having immortal characters, unless they are vital toward a particular mission.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't like the sound of that. It's bad enough the dialogue options have been modeled after Mass Effect. This is suppose to be a world with consequences, not some nerfed down game for kids and shitty players.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had to restart missions too over a companion's death.  It can be annoying at times, but I think immortal characters take away from the experience.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#34]
They should keep the companions like Skyrim - once they are damaged to the point of death, they collapse and crawl on the ground. Enemies will ignore them, and they're out for pretty much the rest of the fight. They CAN die if they get hit by an errant fireball, but will recover in short order once danger is done.

I'm more upset at the dialogue wheel. The ludicrous dialogue was the best part of the series.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't NV and FO3  made by different companies?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They should keep the companions like Skyrim - once they are damaged to the point of death, they collapse and crawl on the ground. Enemies will ignore them, and they're out for pretty much the rest of the fight. They CAN die if they get hit by an errant fireball, but will recover in short order once danger is done.

I'm more upset at the dialogue wheel. The ludicrous dialogue was the best part of the series.
http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/In+fallout+new+vegas+if+you+set+your+intelligence+to+_efed80cd81cb5dfb498651d221538828.jpg
View Quote
Hard to say what the dialog will look like based off of the demo.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:28:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to miss this:

Instead we get this:

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:30:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obsidian Entertainment developed NV
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:32:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://new2.fjcdn.com/comments/In+fallout+new+vegas+if+you+set+your+intelligence+to+_efed80cd81cb5dfb498651d221538828.jpg

It's actually clear what it will look like. It's going to be like Mass Effect with 4 options per selection (one for each of the 4 buttons on the controller). Question options at at the top. Negative responses are to the right. And positive ones are to the left. You have to select one to find out what your character will say.

All of the 8 times dialog appears in the demo it fits that model

They definitely dumbed it down

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#41]
GGAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY

I mean, seriously, how can you fall so far from this:
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:11:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's actually clear what it will look like. It's going to be like Mass Effect with 4 options per selection (one for each of the 4 buttons on the controller). Question options at at the top. Negative responses are to the right. And positive ones are to the left. You have to select one to find out what your character will say.

http://i.imgur.com/5gVghQT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zXbeTEZ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TRhofNh.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I meant was how do we know what sort of dialog we're going to have based on the demo?  Can you really say you know that there won't be any ridiculous and fun dialog?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What I meant was how do we know what sort of dialog we're going to have based on the demo?  Can you really say you know that there won't be any ridiculous and fun dialog?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure. But how will you know the dialog is going to be fun/ridiculous based off a one or two word option? That's the issue
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Just watched the E3 presentation/demo...

Seriously contemplating the Pip Boy edition too.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#45]
The two word responses do make it harder to know exactly what the character is going to say or how they'll say it. I guess it's this way because the character is now voiced which I could of done without.

I also don't like the view angles during the dialogue. It seems that even in first person the camera cuts away to an over the shoulder shot instead of your character looking directly at the person you're talking to. Also, the conversations go back and forth like a cinematic which kind of ruins things a bit as well. Hopefully there are tons of options that allow you to disable such things. No voice, longer dialogue options and looking at the person you're talking to would not have effected the sales of FO4 in the slightest.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The two word responses do make it harder to know exactly what the character is going to say or how they'll say it. I guess it's this way because the character is now voiced which I could of done without.

I also don't like the view angles during the dialogue. It seems that even in first person the camera cuts away to an over the shoulder shot instead of your character looking directly at the person you're talking to. Also, the conversations go back and forth like a cinematic which kind of ruins things a bit as well. Hopefully there are tons of options that allow you to disable such things. No voice, longer dialogue options and looking at the person you're talking to would of not effected the sales of FO4 in the slightest.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure that they said that there is an option to always have conversations in first person mode
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that they said that there is an option to always have conversations in first person mode
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also don't like the view angles during the dialogue. It seems that even in first person the camera cuts away to an over the shoulder shot instead of your character looking directly at the person you're talking to. Also, the conversations go back and forth like a cinematic which kind of ruins things a bit as well. Hopefully there are tons of options that allow you to disable such things. No voice, longer dialogue options and looking at the person you're talking to would of not effected the sales of FO4 in the slightest.

I know that, but in the demo they started a conversation in first person that jumped to over the shoulder shots. It's just a demo and I know it could just be that. I'm hoping most of what we don't like is changed by Bethesda or can be disabled by the player.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone else playing the iOS game? It's addictive as hell, really enjoying it
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

God damn droid haters
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my daughter to download it on her iphone 5 and she's been playing it off and on all day.  I got to play with it for like 2 minutes before she took her phone back.

I don't have an iphone
Page / 310
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top