User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck that guy.
View Quote

I’m guessing you haven’t spent much time flying with Alaska Airlines.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

for knowing what a jet is.
View Quote

Wellll technically the innards of the two engines are.. similar?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Sky King seemed like a cool dude at the end of his rope.. Someone I could of hung out with on a weekend. His memory lives on in us.

rip sky king though no one seems to know your name...
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

for knowing what a jet is.

Lol. I knew when I posted that someone was going to akshualy me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lol. I knew when I posted that someone was going to akshualy me.
View Quote

Not really, I don’t know enough about the specifics of each.  I’m a Lycoming guru.  Those black magic turbines… not so much.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#6]
We celebrate and tolerate absolutely horrendous behavior in this country -- look at any city in the country for proof.

Sky King was just a tortured kid who went out on his own terms. He didn't beat the shit out of any cheddar's hosts along the way,  nor smash into a crowd of pedestrians while doing donuts in the middle of an intersection.  I have no grudge against him, I don't give a fuck if he stole an airplane.  

He was just a kid that society gave up on. Expect more like him if we don't change our attitudes.

RIP King.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh man, that takes us back.  Wayyyy back before Covid, before Ukraine..   … it was a simpler time.    A more innocent time..

It was the first time I recognized the true level of learned helplessness and suicidal hopelessness which is endemic to so many members here.  They live with it everyday.  

Fwiw, the greatest irony, is that this happened at the beginning of the greatest hiring boom in aviation history.   Not that it matters for him, but for any of his acolytes who weren’t crazy suicidal douch-bags; You could have started pilot training that day, and today, you could be earning $300k flying, and landing jets.   Yes, even white guys.
-provided you had slightly above average intelligence, ambition and not given to despondency.  
It’s just a matter of mindset.   When you have no future, why not dedicate your life to achievement, rather than dedicating your life to self pity?     You’ve got nothing to lose anyway.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That story always made me sad. I'm just a man whose... circumstances... went beyond his control.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We celebrate and tolerate absolutely horrendous behavior in this country -- look at any city in the country for proof.

Sky King was just a tortured kid who went out on his own terms. He didn't beat the shit out of any cheddar's hosts along the way,  nor smash into a crowd of pedestrians while doing donuts in the middle of an intersection.  I have no grudge against him, I don't give a fuck if he stole an airplane.  

He was just a kid that society gave up on. Expect more like him if we don't change our attitudes.

RIP King.
View Quote

Did society give up on him, or did he give up on himself?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I will never forget that day. The plane and two jets flew right over top of me. That was the lowest I'd ever seen a commercial aircraft. I'm about a mile from where he did his barrel roll stunt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no position lower in American society than a poor white heterosexual male.  His own race will hate him and blame him for being poor (see this thread)...others will hate him for his white privilege...and women will mock him for being male and poor.  

A poor white hetero male is the lowest of the low.  It is a hopeless place to be because its below the bottom of the food chain, socially.  Factor in that a large part of that demographic has the IQ to know exactly how screwed they are for life...something that poor people in some demographics lack and that lack of knowledge actually allows them to mentally divorce themselves from the reality of their poverty.  

Its not a shock that he did what he did and anyone thats taken a clear eyed look at their life and their options and seen no good ones.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If I stole from you would you say I didn’t hurt anyone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, nobody hurt. Went out on his own terms.

He didn't steal from an individual, he stole from a corporation which seems to still be thriving.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a shame he had gotten so low without anyone stepping in. His voice betrayed his heart. He was a broken man
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I love Sky King season here.

All you nannys stay on the sideline while free men live.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#15]
We lived in the area when that happened, and he flew over our farm a few times.

He seemed like a good dude, that just broke.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He was objectively a thief.  No getting around that.

Nothing about what he did rises to the level of heroism.  His actions were self-serving, which is the antithesis of heroism.
View Quote

Not a hero, but I can understand being at the end of your rope.    He chose the time and went out w/ a certain amount of style.    I kind of have to admire that part.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Huh, this whole story is new to me, never heard of it up until now.

Seems like the guy was dealing with some issues, too bad for someone so young to go out like that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

He didn't steal from an individual, he stole from a corporation which seems to still be thriving.
View Quote

Sounds pretty similar to what a Liberal would say.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The day after that happened, some ATL police car pulled up to the nose landing gear of my plane, thinking he was going to he a hero by stopping me from doing the same.

I just rolled my eyes at deputy Dan
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Some interesting stuff on the Wiki.

Horizon Air CEO Gary Beck stated that, as far as the company knew, Russell did not have a pilot's license. Beck said the aerial maneuvers were "incredible" and that he "did not know how [Russell] achieved the experience that he did."[42] During his conversation with air traffic control, Russell said he "[knew] what [he was] doing a little bit" because he had experience playing video games.[18]

Russell's family released a statement on August 11, stating they were "stunned and heartbroken" and "devastated by the events".[44]

Rolling Stone magazine investigated the incident and reported in 2021 that some of Russell's friends and family believe he may have suffered brain injuries during his football years in high school and college. A football teammate suggested his mental instability had been caused by undiagnosed chronic traumatic encephalopathy that may have come from repeated concussions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Horizon_Air_Q400_incident
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Some hate, some love.
Can't really condone theft but in this case? I'm siding with Sky King. There are limits.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Still a thief.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Oh man, that takes us back.  Wayyyy back before Covid, before Ukraine..   … it was a simpler time.    A more innocent time..

It was the first time I recognized the true level of learned helplessness and suicidal hopelessness which is endemic to so many members here.  They live with it everyday.  

Fwiw, the greatest irony, is that this happened at the beginning of the greatest hiring boom in aviation history.   Not that it matters for him, but for any of his acolytes who weren’t crazy suicidal douch-bags; You could have started pilot training that day, and today, you could be earning $300k flying, and landing jets.   Yes, even white guys.
-provided you had slightly above average intelligence, ambition and not given to despondency.  
It’s just a matter of mindset.   When you have no future, why not dedicate your life to achievement, rather than dedicating your life to self pity?     You’ve got nothing to lose anyway.  

View Quote

Yeah. Russell has become a litmus test of sorts...some see him as a thief and loser. Some, a hopeless man who didn't want to hurt a fly, but just experience a bit of joy before he went out on his own terms.

I think in the end, Russell's story should be a mirror that we judge ourselves in...what do we value and why. I think if we are mildly introspective, we give his life some meaning he solely lacked while alive.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
These threads say more about the romanticizing of futile antisocial gestures and acting out tantrums by chronically frustrated and angry ARFcommers than it does about a suicidally despondent man who chose to commit the theft and intentional destruction of a huge asset out of self pity.
I'm sure the insurance company came out just fine, and that 20 mil was spread out among all its innocent customers.
Plus a lil sumpin extra.
So, yay?
View Quote

You just described the US Government
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah. Russell has become a litmus test of sorts...some see him as a thief and loser. Some, a hopeless man who didn't want to hurt a fly, but just experience a bit of joy before he went out on his own terms.

I think in the end, Russell's story should be a mirror that we judge ourselves in...what do we value and why. I think if we are mildly introspective, we give his life some meaning he solely lacked while alive.
View Quote

I like your perspective
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 5:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]
The thief stole a plane and destroyed it.  Using "Sky King" as a nickname for that scumbag is an affront to the TV Sky King.

Fuck that thieving POS.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fuck that guy.
View Quote
Fuck Alaska Airlines too...personal beef.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The thief stole a plane and destroyed it.  Using "Sky King" as a nickname for that scumbag is an affront to the TV Sky King.

Fuck that thieving POS.
View Quote

Im not discounting the theft. Actually I oppose it. But what I do get frustrated with is large corporations airlines, banks, etc, that get bailed out financially with tax money from American taxpayers which I feel is a form of theft as well. If leadership of a business makes bad decisions they should suffer consequences, but how often does that happen for large corporations? Both are ethically and morally wrong to me.

I can understand him not wanting to harm others beyond the theft. Not excusing the theft. Do these big executives also have a interest of no harm, knowing that a big bank or airline will get bailed out anyway? I doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Fuck that thieving POS.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Fly Sky King, Fly!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes

What?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nobody on arfcom actually has a supermodel wife, a 20 million dollar jet, and a 8 inch....

It can safely be assumed that they identify as the guy in Falling Down more than the guy who's jet got stolen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol found the 2 guys that work for the insurance industry

ETA: 3 guys now

I assume I'm number 3?  What about my post makes you think that?  Because I understand the definitions of theft and heroism?

Folks on this forum usually have contempt for people who steal cars.  How is what this guy did different?
Nobody on arfcom actually has a supermodel wife, a 20 million dollar jet, and a 8 inch....

It can safely be assumed that they identify as the guy in Falling Down more than the guy who's jet got stolen.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m sure the altruistic members of ARFCOM would cheer sky king on if he had stolen their Porsche 911 and run it into a concrete wall at 150 miles an hour.

Go skyking, go!
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
An hero.

RIP
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What?

I just think it's pretty amazing you've managed to go 5 years without hearing this story.

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll tell you guys, this was an incredible day to be alive in the Puget Sound area knowing this was going on above us. Like Michael Douglas performance in Falling Down, but in the air.

Honorary mention to the sky dick from Whidbey Island pilots as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember listening to it go down live.  RIP sky king
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Jackass stole a $20 million jet and crashed it.  
View Quote

Not a jet. Turboprop aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
...I don't know why I'm adding to this, I know better...

He's more-or-less an anti-hero.

Nothing he is doing is right or good.

But from his perspective, he's at the end of his rope with nothing left to lose.

And people like that should be feared and revered - not for their virtue or greatness, but because only when a person becomes truly desperate and untethered do you really see what a human is capable of...  

You see bullshit like it in movies and books all the time, but people rarely embody it in reality.
View Quote
People revere the dude because he went out in a stylish way without hurting anyone else.  You are right that what he did was wrong and people understand that but he is a relatable character. Some see themselves in him and the challenges he had in life that he could not overcome.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I love Sky King season here.

All you nannys stay on the sideline while free men live.
View Quote
Grand theft(justified because Evil Capitalist Corporation) and public suicide is "living."
Even better, it's how Free Men Live.
That's right up there with We Was Kangz.
"Skykang dindu nuffin!"

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Amen dude.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
People revere the dude because he went out in a stylish way without hurting anyone else.  You are right that what he did was wrong and people understand that but he is a relatable character. Some see themselves in him and the challenges he had in life that he could not overcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I don't know why I'm adding to this, I know better...

He's more-or-less an anti-hero.

Nothing he is doing is right or good.

But from his perspective, he's at the end of his rope with nothing left to lose.

And people like that should be feared and revered - not for their virtue or greatness, but because only when a person becomes truly desperate and untethered do you really see what a human is capable of...  

You see bullshit like it in movies and books all the time, but people rarely embody it in reality.

And part of what makes him so likeable to many is he knew it was wrong, he felt bad about the whole thing and major disturbance it was causing. He knew those who knew him would be disappointed as well.

If he was just some asshole that hijacked a plane, got on the radio and was all like "fuck you faggots, this bitch is mine now, kiss my ass!", nobody would care for him.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

One out of 3 is a start.
The other 2 can be acquired !
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And part of what makes him so likeable to many is he knew it was wrong, he felt bad about the whole thing and major disturbance it was causing. He knew those who knew him would be disappointed as well.

If he was just some asshole that hijacked a plane, got on the radio and was all like "fuck you faggots, this bitch is mine now, kiss my ass!", nobody would care for him.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, nobody hurt. Went out on his own terms.

If some deeply depressed guy stole my truck and drove it off a cliff to end his life I'd still feel compassion for him and not be thinking about my truck.  Big difference between that guy and someone who steals my ride out of malice or greed.

RIP Sky King
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Its funny seeing all the references to him being a hero or antihero or a thief.

First one thing needs to be clarified. Our civilization is now and has been run by a pack of Karen's, insurance adjustors and the extremely old for a long time now. In such a society one has few opportunites to be a hero. And if they do a heroic act then odds are that they will wind up paying for it in the form of increased insurance rates.

That said from what I've seen he was not behaving like a heroic person. He was behaving like a polite person. There's an important difference there.

It seems that more than anything else he wanted his death to mean something. Lots of people every day die by their own hand and how often are they remembered by anyone but their friends, relatives or the shmuck who finds their body?

As for him being a thief. Well yes he was. And now he's dead. He's paid the ultimate price. Oh, but he inconvenienced you by increasing your insurance rates? Ok then. That's just what the cozy coalition of the miserable and old that rule the world want you to focus on. So you or anyone else won't ever do such a crazy thing ever again.

Just stay in your warm safe little coocoon. With all your guns and property and just stay asleep. Just don't do anything except pay your taxes, go to work, pay your insurance bills, go to work and avert your eyes from the fact that civilization is diminishing around you because no one wants to rock the boat anymore.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I don't agree with what the kid did but I understand.
View Quote

Kinda where I'm at with it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I just think it's pretty amazing you've managed to go 5 years without hearing this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeetlqlDzvI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeetlqlDzvI

Nope, never heard of it. Dude seemed like he may have been pretty cool (aside from the theft thing)
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top