Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Would it be different if it was Zuckerberg or Bezos private plane?
I never flown Alaska Air but Delta has pissed me off where I would be laughing it it happened to them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And part of what makes him so likeable to many is he knew it was wrong, he felt bad about the whole thing and major disturbance it was causing. He knew those who knew him would be disappointed as well.

If he was just some asshole that hijacked a plane, got on the radio and was all like "fuck you faggots, this bitch is mine now, kiss my ass!", nobody would care for him.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...I don't know why I'm adding to this, I know better...

He's more-or-less an anti-hero.

Nothing he is doing is right or good.

But from his perspective, he's at the end of his rope with nothing left to lose.

And people like that should be feared and revered - not for their virtue or greatness, but because only when a person becomes truly desperate and untethered do you really see what a human is capable of...  

You see bullshit like it in movies and books all the time, but people rarely embody it in reality.
People revere the dude because he went out in a stylish way without hurting anyone else.  You are right that what he did was wrong and people understand that but he is a relatable character. Some see themselves in him and the challenges he had in life that he could not overcome.

And part of what makes him so likeable to many is he knew it was wrong, he felt bad about the whole thing and major disturbance it was causing. He knew those who knew him would be disappointed as well.

If he was just some asshole that hijacked a plane, got on the radio and was all like "fuck you faggots, this bitch is mine now, kiss my ass!", nobody would care for him.

I wouldn’t be able to help but chuckle though
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Godspeed, Sky King.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't say I approve, but I understand. Much like Marvin Heemeyer, but more poetic and less destruction of public property.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I am to believe that most that are pissed at this guy are learning that it isn't a big deal to fly a plane, and their hero cock worship just took a hit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m sure the altruistic members of ARFCOM would cheer sky king on if he had stolen their Porsche 911 and run it into a concrete wall at 150 miles an hour.

Go skyking, go!
View Quote

Muh insurance
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If I stole from you would you say I didn’t hurt anyone?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah, nobody hurt. Went out on his own terms.

If I stole from you would you say I didn’t hurt anyone?

You can steal my jet if you do a barrel roll
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:37:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Harambe and him need a place
View Quote

He's doing barrel rolls with Harambe as his co-pilot in the great big sky.

Godspeed Skyking.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Hero of short term gain and long term loss. Meh.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
There’s worse ways to die, and plenty better, too.

I hope he found the peace he was looking for, cuz I sure haven’t.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah. Russell has become a litmus test of sorts...some see him as a thief and loser. Some, a hopeless man who didn't want to hurt a fly, but just experience a bit of joy before he went out on his own terms.

I think in the end, Russell's story should be a mirror that we judge ourselves in...what do we value and why. I think if we are mildly introspective, we give his life some meaning he solely lacked while alive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh man, that takes us back.  Wayyyy back before Covid, before Ukraine..   … it was a simpler time.    A more innocent time..

It was the first time I recognized the true level of learned helplessness and suicidal hopelessness which is endemic to so many members here.  They live with it everyday.  

Fwiw, the greatest irony, is that this happened at the beginning of the greatest hiring boom in aviation history.   Not that it matters for him, but for any of his acolytes who weren’t crazy suicidal douch-bags; You could have started pilot training that day, and today, you could be earning $300k flying, and landing jets.   Yes, even white guys.
-provided you had slightly above average intelligence, ambition and not given to despondency.  
It’s just a matter of mindset.   When you have no future, why not dedicate your life to achievement, rather than dedicating your life to self pity?     You’ve got nothing to lose anyway.  

Yeah. Russell has become a litmus test of sorts...some see him as a thief and loser. Some, a hopeless man who didn't want to hurt a fly, but just experience a bit of joy before he went out on his own terms.

I think in the end, Russell's story should be a mirror that we judge ourselves in...what do we value and why. I think if we are mildly introspective, we give his life some meaning he solely lacked while alive.

10/10
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is no position lower in American society than a poor white heterosexual male.  His own race will hate him and blame him for being poor (see this thread)...others will hate him for his white privilege...and women will mock him for being male and poor.  

A poor white hetero male is the lowest of the low.  It is a hopeless place to be because its below the bottom of the food chain, socially.  Factor in that a large part of that demographic has the IQ to know exactly how screwed they are for life...something that poor people in some demographics lack and that lack of knowledge actually allows them to mentally divorce themselves from the reality of their poverty.  

Its not a shock that he did what he did and anyone thats taken a clear eyed look at their life and their options and seen no good ones.
View Quote

very well said.
a healthy society that cares about its future would do a deep dive into this case and value honesty in understanding the why, so as to prevent not only this event from happening again but also other young men from getting to that point. since we do not have a healthy society, we won't do that. and if we are lucky the next guy in this position will only steal a fully insured aircraft and barrel roll it into an empty piece of ground........ as opposed to going absolutely bananas and taking innocent people with him in a public place with a rifle or some other tool.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
People revere the dude because he went out in a stylish way without hurting anyone else.  You are right that what he did was wrong and people understand that but he is a relatable character. Some see themselves in him and the challenges he had in life that he could not overcome.
View Quote

I said this in last year's thread- they see his mental illness in themselves.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:24:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sky King seemed like a cool dude at the end of his rope.. Someone I could of hung out with on a weekend. His memory lives on in us.

rip sky king though no one seems to know your name...
View Quote

like a good Indian, his old name was left behind on his actions. the new name shall live on forever for those to remember.

Sky King will be known.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is probably a point to that.   If you've been in that truly dark pit w/ no light and no way you can see out it's probably easier to empathize w/ someone like that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Some of the same people in here bad mouthing Sky King are some of the same people that champion Killdozer. Weird hypocrisy.

Sky King was the Killdozer of the sky.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#17]
TO me, this will always be Sky King.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The thief stole a plane and destroyed it.  Using "Sky King" as a nickname for that scumbag is an affront to the TV Sky King.

Fuck that thieving POS.
View Quote

Quoted:
Fuck Alaska Airlines too...personal beef.
View Quote

Fuck It! Fuck Everyone!
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep. In on this shitshow.

Also, in before "dats wut inshurants is fur!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that guy.

Yep. In on this shitshow.

Also, in before "dats wut inshurants is fur!"

Granted, the insurance companies are ponzi schemes that deserve to get a good and proper fucking every now and then. Keep ‘em humble.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]
In a post 9-11 world if a 20 million dollar asset can be easily taken for a joyride and destroyed, perhaps the insurer should have had higher standards required for the insured.

Link Posted: 8/9/2023 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, he was someone who actually followed up on doing something about his situation. Unlike everyone who just talks a big game but are actually cowards and won't do shit when the time comes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm still mad so... Hero

per Wiki the plane was worth $30m

The aircraft was worth $30 million, all of which was paid under the company's insurance policy "with no deductibles."
Link to story... but it is wiki...
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm still mad so... Hero

The aircraft was worth $30 million, all of which was paid under the company's insurance policy "with no deductibles."
View Quote

Do you have the airframe total time; both engines TTSN, TSOH, THSI; props TTSN, TSOH? I haven't found any current times in the records provided. This aircraft was delivered new in 2012. Was this a zero damage aircraft at the time it was stolen?

Am I understanding a new dash 8 is $30 million? Or are we tagging new aircraft value to an unknown condition 6 year old cattle hauling aircraft?

Link to insurance pay information?
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:49:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Right up there with Killdozer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#26]
I understand his pain and frustration.  I think everyone does to some degree, this life just grinds people down.

What I don't condone or celebrate is his theft of someone else's property and taking it for a joyride to end his life in.

In that sense he is a hypocrite and a POS.  He was just done with living for any number of reasons but chose to screw someone else over in the process.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some of the same people in here bad mouthing Sky King are some of the same people that champion Killdozer. Weird hypocrisy.

View Quote

The Killdozer wasn't stolen.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Reminds me of the guy who stole a tank in San Diego.
got hung up on a k rail,
Cop or cops opened up the hatch and the mag dump followed.
Poor bastard.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Resting in pieces
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, but he wrecked the shit out of Granby, CO.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that's exactly the kind of introspection that's...shall we say, unjustified.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Well, he was someone who actually followed up on doing something about his situation. Unlike everyone who just talks a big game but are actually cowards and won't do shit when the time comes.
View Quote

What exactly did he do "about his situation"? He's not gonna be around to "do shit when he time comes" because he killed himself... I'm not sure that's cowardly but I also don't think it qualifies as brave.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I do think many people see themselves in him. Hero isn’t the right word. But I’m not sure what is.

He did go out on his own terms without hurting anyone else. He did cost a company some money for sure. I do wonder what the situations would have been if he HAD landed it successfully. Likely lots of prison time.  

The divide his chosen actions cause is interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sky King didn’t destroy a bunch of structures.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I see our resident members with psychopathic tendencies are already out in force dismissing him as nothing more than a common thief.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Do you have the airframe total time; both engines TTSN, TSOH, THSI; props TTSN, TSOH? I haven't found any current times in the records provided. This aircraft was delivered new in 2012. Was this a zero damage aircraft at the time it was stolen?

Am I understanding a new dash 8 is $30 million? Or are we tagging new aircraft value to an unknown condition 6 year old cattle hauling aircraft?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm still mad so... Hero

Sorry no. Enjoy the show!

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

“Doing something about his situation “ involved killing himself while destroying someone else’s property.  Not exactly someone I would hold up as a positive example.  It’s sad that he failed to identify a positive way to do something about it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Killing himself?      

How many Suicidally broken people do we have here, anyway?    
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:35:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh man, that takes us back.  Wayyyy back before Covid, before Ukraine..   … it was a simpler time.    A more innocent time..

It was the first time I recognized the true level of learned helplessness and suicidal hopelessness which is endemic to so many members here.  They live with it everyday.  

Fwiw, the greatest irony, is that this happened at the beginning of the greatest hiring boom in aviation history.   Not that it matters for him, but for any of his acolytes who weren’t crazy suicidal douch-bags; You could have started pilot training that day, and today, you could be earning $300k flying, and landing jets.   Yes, even white guys.
-provided you had slightly above average intelligence, ambition and not given to despondency.  
It’s just a matter of mindset.   When you have no future, why not dedicate your life to achievement, rather than dedicating your life to self pity?     You’ve got nothing to lose anyway.  

The descriptors in your first paragraph are not mutually exclusive.  I’d say they all objectively fit with the possible exception of loser, depending how one defines that term.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great point.   Plus, Killdozer had genuine, verifiable Enemies, who pushed him over the edge.   They were literally stealing his property.  

Skykang’s only enemy was Himself and his own self loathing.   That’s why so many losers here Glom onto him.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I see our resident members with psychpathic tendencies are already out in force dismissing him as nothing more than a common thief.
View Quote

This is one of the most unintentionally Ironic statements ever posted here.    SkyKang is a hero to you?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is one of the most unintentionally Ironic statements ever posted here.    SkyKang is a hero to you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see our resident members with psychopathic tendencies are already out in force dismissing him as nothing more than a common thief.

No.

I am just capable of empathy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Its funny seeing all the references to him being a hero or antihero or a thief.

First one thing needs to be clarified. Our civilization is now and has been run by a pack of Karen's, insurance adjustors and the extremely old for a long time now. In such a society one has few opportunites to be a hero. And if they do a heroic act then odds are that they will wind up paying for it in the form of increased insurance rates.

That said from what I've seen he was not behaving like a heroic person. He was behaving like a polite person. There's an important difference there.

It seems that more than anything else he wanted his death to mean something. Lots of people every day did by their own hand and how often are they remembered by anyone but their friends, relatives or the shmuck who finds their body?

As for him being a thief. Well yes he was. And now he's dead. He's paid the ultimate price. Oh, but he inconvenienced you by increasing your insurance rates? Ok then. That's just what the cozy coalition of the miserable and old that rule the world want you to focus on. So you or anyone else won't ever do such a crazy thing ever again.

Just stay in your warm safe little coocoon. With all your guns and property and just stay asleep. Just don't do anything except pay your taxes, go to work, pay your insurance bills, go to work and avert your eyes from the fact that civilization is diminishing around you because no one wants to rock the boat anymore.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

If you’re THAT capable of empathy, you must be absolutely disgusted and horrified by our sociopathic “fuck Ukraine” contingent.  

Where do you draw the line?    Do you weep for every single misunderstood, downtrodden, mentally unbalanced criminal?  

Serious question, because you know most of them have legitimate mental health issues.  

At what point does Judgement trump Feelings?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Killing himself?      

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Killing himself?      

That is classified.

But based on my own observations and the ongoing collapse of western civilization. I would say quite a few.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Nobody on arfcom actually has a supermodel wife, a 20 million dollar jet, and a 8 inch....

View Quote
Is two out of three bad?
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fuck that guy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sounds pretty similar to what a Liberal would say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't steal from an individual, he stole from a corporation which seems to still be thriving.

Sounds pretty similar to what a Liberal would say.

Meh, corporations hide behind the “not a person” all the fucking time.  

Alaska killed a shitload of people from being cheap fucks.  I don’t care if someone stole from them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/10/2023 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I will never forget that day. The plane and two jets flew right over top of me. That was the lowest I'd ever seen a commercial aircraft. I'm about a mile from where he did his barrel roll stunt.
View Quote

Last time we did one of these threads, a dude tried to call me out as a liar for saying that the jets from Portland were supersonic over my house in eatonville, because jblm was closer. Lol
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top