BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The angle of the wings always bugged me. Too droopy.
View Quote

Inverted gull wings.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:36:27 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never watched Catch22, I probably should.

Same here.  I've read the book, but didn't realize there was a MITO scene in the movie with that many birds.  My personal favorite is the B-26, but nobody wrote books or made movies about them.

Yes.  You don't hear much about the B-26 / A-26.  I had an uncle who was a mechanic for them in Oklahoma / training school during the war.  Sadly, he died of an repertory illness right here in the US during the war.

Oh, okay.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq331/AR45fan/null_zpsa4aefc62.jpg

A-26 =/= B-26, although it was renamed late in the war.  Invader vs. Marauder.  My grandfather was on a Marauder.  9th Air Force, 387th Bomb Group, 556th Bomb Squadron.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Make mine a Marauder, Havoc or Invader.
View Quote

The Havoc is one you don't see or hear much of at all.  Only a few models exist...flying, being restored, or display.  As a teenager in high school in about '69/'70 era, I worked for one of the founders of the Confederate Air Force...Marvin "Lefty" Gardner, a WWII pilot.  He had a big spray plane business with several Stearmans.  He also managed the Brownwood, TX airport, but he really only did that to be able to use their building facilities...a huge paved/concrete strip and hangar outfit from WWII.  I got to work around some cool planes back then and even go up in some.  Lefty had the only flying P-38 Lightning at the time, along with a P-51.  We stored and/or worked on several others...F4F Wildcat, F-8 Bearcat, and an A-20 Havoc.  Lots of his friends and other CAF guys came in occasionally with lots of WWII planes, mostly fighters.  For a boy who was an airplane nut and WWII aficionado, it was a dream come true.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:58:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Havoc is one you don't see or hear much of at all.  Only a few models exist...flying, being restored, or display.  As a teenager in high school in about '69/'70 era, I worked for one of the founders of the Confederate Air Force...Marvin "Lefty" Gardner, a WWII pilot.  He had a big spray plane business with several Stearmans.  He also managed the Brownwood, TX airport, but he really only did that to be able to use their building facilities...a huge paved/concrete strip and hangar outfit from WWII.  I got to work around some cool planes back then and even go up in some.  Lefty had the only flying P-38 Lightning at the time, along with a P-51.  We stored and/or worked on several others...F4F Wildcat, F-8 Bearcat, and an A-20 Havoc.  Lots of his friends and other CAF guys came in occasionally with lots of WWII planes, mostly fighters.  For a boy who was an airplane nut and WWII aficionado, it was a dream come true.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm jealous as hell, that must have been amazing!
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A-26 =/= B-26, although it was renamed late in the war.  Invader vs. Marauder.  My grandfather was on a Marauder.  9th Air Force, 387th Bomb Group, 556th Bomb Squadron.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  I've read the book, but didn't realize there was a MITO scene in the movie with that many birds.  My personal favorite is the B-26, but nobody wrote books or made movies about them.

Yes.  You don't hear much about the B-26 / A-26.  I had an uncle who was a mechanic for them in Oklahoma / training school during the war.  Sadly, he died of an repertory illness right here in the US during the war.

Oh, okay.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq331/AR45fan/null_zpsa4aefc62.jpg

A-26 and B-26 were two totally different planes, weren't they?  A-26 was made by Douglas and the Marauder B-26 was made by Martin.  The A-26 even extended into Vietnam amazingly.  Cool stuff.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:01:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I once worked with a fellow who was a radio/gunner on a Pacific Theater B-25.  His wife told me he was awarded the Bronze Star but wouldn't elaborate.  My co-worker would not speak about it but loved to tell how he went "back over" with a group to rescue a P-61 for restoration.  I like the B25 and B17, knew a pilot and navigator for the 17.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:36:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:06:33 AM EDT
[#12]
8 forward facing .50s and a 75mm howitzer. For when you absotively posilutely have to kill every motherfucker in the room, the room, and the building.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I get to see a B25 every time I fly.  Opening scene at General Mitchell International Airport - Milwaukee

http://www.warbirdsandairshows.com/images/Wisconsin%20Gate%20Guards/milwaukee-B-25-107w-1.jpg
View Quote

When I lived near Milwaukee in the late 1960s, there was an open parking lot between the B-25 and the Terminal building, IIRC.  It's good to know that the plane is still there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When I lived near Milwaukee in the late 1960s, there was an open parking lot between the B-25 and the Terminal building, IIRC.  It's good to know that the plane is still there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get to see a B25 every time I fly.  Opening scene at General Mitchell International Airport - Milwaukee

http://www.warbirdsandairshows.com/images/Wisconsin%20Gate%20Guards/milwaukee-B-25-107w-1.jpg

The building behind the plane is a multi-level parking garage.  IIRC; the -25 was originally displayed on the ground, was moved during construction, then put up as pictured.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A-26 and B-26 were two totally different planes, weren't they?  A-26 was made by Douglas and the Marauder B-26 was made by Martin.  The A-26 even extended into Vietnam amazingly.  Cool stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

First there was the Martin B-26 Marauder. Later in the war, the Douglas A-26 Invader was introduced. After WW2, the Marauder was retired and the Invader was redesignated the B-26.

Along came the Vietnam War and we had B-26 Invaders based in Thailand, IIRC. At the time, Thailand didn't want "bombers" based there, so the Invader was once again redesignated the A-26. Voila, no bombers flying out of Thailand, just attack aircraft. (I know B-52s flew out of Thailand, but that was later in the war.)

Makes as much sense as the BATF now saying that shouldering an AR15 pistol with a SIG brace turns the pistol into an illegal SBR.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I flew in "Executive Sweet" for about an hour.

What an experience.

Id do it again this morning in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#17]
I got a ride in one in the late 80's in Richard Gebaur in KC Mo.  Great fun but awfully cramped for me.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:11:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Its okay bro, nobody does movies about the OH58D either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Its okay bro, nobody does movies about the OH58D either.

Do you even Firebirds bro??

I keed I keed

Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a nice one on display at the roundabout on Hickam

Quoted:

Talk about fucking epic
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Some more from the strafers in the Pacific.

Attack on Japanese Subchaser 39

Close up of the B-25 in the photo:

Closer image of Subchaser 39 from above photo.

Enhance:

If you look closely at the ship, you can see the Japanese crew manning weapons, ducking and going for cover as the B-25's pass over.  A bomb skipping is in the upper part of the first photo.

The result:

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:01:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Years ago, I flew in that one. Stood behind and between the pilots.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

read the book instead
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#23]
With a little friend

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#25]
This is one of my favorite B-25 pictures.  It shows Col. Doolittle sitting next to the wreckage of his a/c on a mountaintop the day after the Tokyo Raid. He and his crew had bailed out after running out of fuel and the Chinese led him to the wreck before helping him walk to safety.

Poor guy is utterly dejected. The early launch from the Hornet had totally screwed up the plan for the crews to land safely after the mission. He had no idea if any of his men in the other crews were still alive, or if the raid had been any success. Each a/c had gone in separately to their targets, not in formation. Maybe in the back of his mind he wondered if he would be courtmartialed when he got home.

Great illustration of the strain of command.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:26:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://www.fototime.com/5DF64510B931A39/xlarge.jpg
View Quote

Thank you for posting that.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This one is at Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ
<a href="http://s818.photobucket.com/user/Mbradders/media/DSC01389_zps5dffafc1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/Mbradders/DSC01389_zps5dffafc1.jpg</a>
View Quote

I see it all the time flying overhead.

Barbie III used to be based there, too.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#28]

I watched 30 seconds over Tokyo last night on you tube.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:02:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I watched 30 seconds over Tokyo last night on you tube.
View Quote

Look for the follow-up movie, "The Purple Heart," which deals with some of what happened to those who went on that raid. Not a very pleasant film, but it's something that should not be forgotten.

Also, some of the footage from the bombing portion of "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" was used at the beginning of "Midway." I saw that one in the theater when it first came out, in Sound-Around. Even in 1976 that footage still was awesome on the big screen.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Fun B-25 trivia:  Russell Johnson aka "Professor" on Gilligan's Island was a bombardier in a B-25 in the Philippines.  Got shot down in 1945, broke both his ankles.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]

This flew over me at the Conneaut D-Day reenactment. I swear you could have thrown a rock in the bomb bay.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Good read on the Battle of the Bismarck Sea  First use of the gun-nose B25.  Neat description of the tactics used in the convoy raids.

Also interesting to read that strafing survivors was accepted as a matter of course back then.

To improve bombing accuracy, Kenney advocated flying low-level attacks. But attacking ships at masthead height—which meant flying about fifty feet above the water—would require neutralizing shipborne antiaircraft artillery. For that task, Kenney turned to Maj. Paul "Pappy" Gunn, a colorful and innovative maintenance officer.  Gunn was known for being, in the words of an admiring Bell Aircraft factory representative, "exacting in efficiency and ability" and "able to do things with aircraft which others would not attempt." In the summer of 1942, Gunn had supervised a major modification of the A-20 in his experimental workshop at Eagle Farm airfield in Brisbane, Australia, that equipped the light bomber with nose guns for strafing.

The A-20's success undoubtedly stimulated Kenney's interest in further developing tactics that emphasized low-level bombing and strafing attacks to overwhelm antiaircraft opposition. Kenney directed Gunn to transform a number of Fifth Air Force B-25s into so-called commerce destroyers. Gunn installed ten .50-caliber machine guns: four in the nose, two on each side, and two more in the top turret. The 81st Air Depot Group in Townsville, Australia, then swung into production. Making only minor modifications to Gunn's plan, and putting in twelve- to eighteen-hour working days, it produced thirty B-25C-1s in the first three months of 1943.

The B-25C-1 enjoyed a number of advantages over the modified A-20s—a longer range, a heavier bomb load, heavier firepower, and upper-turret protection. Additionally, the B-25C-1 carried a copilot and included instruments for flying in stormy weather or darkness—"extremely comforting factors for the flyers," noted a Fifth Air Force report at the time. The B-25C-1 was, however, ten to twenty miles per hour slower than the A-20 and less maneuverable. The two thousand rounds of ammunition for the forward-firing guns made the aircraft nose-heavy, although pilots became accustomed to its unique flight characteristics after a few flights.

Pilots soon hit on a deadly technique: using the rudder to yaw the plane slightly back and forth during a bombing approach to sweep the entire deck of the enemy vessel with machine gun fire. That proved key in making it possible to drop bombs from an altitude that, in Kenney's words, "rendered a miss unlikely."  This extreme low-level bombing created new technical problems, however, since the normal bomb fuzes were designed to detonate immediately on impact—which would mean the airplane would be caught in its own bomb blast. Capt. Benjamin Thompson, an officer in the 26th Ordnance Company, altered the inner workings of an M106 fuze and developed a delayed-action version. That version was rushed into production in the field by the men of the 46th Ordnance Company, who had to work continuously for forty-eight hours in order to generate a sufficient quantity.

The rush was ordered because General Kenney knew what was coming: decoded Japanese radio messages had given the Allies almost a full month's warning of the sailing of another large Japanese convoy to Lae. Aircrews spent weeks carefully rehearsing tactics in preparation for the battle. Kenney canceled a major attack on Rabaul and reduced the number of daily combat sorties, so both maintainers and aircrew would have time to prepare. "Maintenance crews worked like mad getting every airplane in shape so that we could strike with everything we owned when time came," Kenney said.

Kenney ordered pilots flying the newly modified B-25s to undergo an especially intense training regimen. Most of these pilots were accustomed to medium-altitude bombing with a bombardier. Their new mission involved very low-level attacks in which the pilots themselves controlled the bomb release. Each pilot dropped thirty to forty bombs in practice on a half-submerged ship called the Moresby wreck, learning to use a reference point on the nose of the airplane in place of a bombsight. One bomber and crew were killed when they hit the mast of the wreck and crashed. Despite the loss, Maj. Ed Larner, the commander of the squadron, reported that his B-25C-1 pilots remained a "cocky gang" and promised Kenney that his boys "wouldn't miss."

Their training culminated in a series of full-scale rehearsals at the end of February, a last chance to work out any glitches in the split-second timing on which everything depended. Attacking in pairs, B-25s took violent evasive action at full throttle; one plane strafed the vessel from stem to stern, firing continuously from 1,200 yards, while the other plane strafed the vessel as it came in on its beam and bombed it...

Allied air attacks were so closely timed and heavily concentrated that postmission intelligence reports judged it was impossible to ascertain which airplane or squadron actually sank each ship. B-17s flying at 7,000 feet dropped their bombs first, causing the Japanese vessels to maneuver violently and break up their formation, thereby reducing their concentrated antiaircraft firepower. That left individual ships vulnerable to strafers and masthead bombers. B-25s bombing from 3,000 to 6,000 feet also arrived overhead to drop their load of 500-pound bombs. Crew members reported seeing two burning Japanese ships ram each other while attempting to avoid the bombs. Much of the Japanese antiaircraft fire was focused on the medium-altitude bombers, which left an opening for bombers flying at minimum altitude.

Then thirteen Beaufighters swept in low on the water, strafing the whole length of the convoy. The Japanese destroyers, mistakenly thinking they were torpedo bombers, turned toward the attacking planes to present a smaller target. This left the merchant ships with even less protection. Next Major Larner's B-25C-1s joined the fray, flying at twenty-five to one hundred feet off the water. They literally blazed a path for their masthead bomb attacks with their forward-firing .50-caliber guns.

"We were indicating about 260 mph when we passed over the target," Maj. John Henebry described in a postmission report of a broadside attack against one ship. "I fired in as close as I could as the decks were covered with troops and supplies. Just before I pulled up to clear the mast, my co-pilot released two of our three five-hundred pound bombs, one fell short and the other scored a direct hit into the side of the ship, at water line."

The harrowing flying and devastating outcome of another run were described by 1st Lt. Roy Moore: "During this run I 'cork screwed' the airplane by making undulating changes in altitude not varying from 50 to 100 feet, and at the same time skidded the airplane from one side to the other," he recounted. "These evasive tactics were made to avoid any possible gun fire from the target. When in strafing range, I opened fire with my forward guns. The decks were covered with enemy troops. It is interesting to note that the troops were lined up facing the attacking plane with rifles in hand. However, the forward guns of the airplane outranged their small arms, as I saw hundreds of the troops fall and others go over the side before they could bring their guns to bear."

Last in line were the A-20s. Most A-20 attacks were made in groups of two or three aircraft, which increased their firepower. This massive volley of bullets had the effect of neutralizing deck gunfire, particularly on relatively underarmed transport vessels.

The attack was beautifully timed. Allied planes arrived just after Japanese navy planes protecting the convoy had departed but before their Japanese army aircraft replacements had arrived. Twenty minutes after the attack started, the majority of ships in the convoy were sunk, sinking, or badly damaged.

That afternoon, Allied air power returned to finish the job. At three o'clock, bombers sighted seven Japanese ships: four transports burning and stationary, one destroyer burning and immobile, another abandoned destroyer drifting low in the water, and a third that was picking up survivors. At 3:15 p.m., the attack recommenced. B-17 bombs found their mark simultaneously as B-25s finished their strafing runs. The day's carnage ended twenty-one minutes later.

March 3 was a costly day for the Japanese. Eight transports and three destroyers were at the bottom of the Bismarck Sea. The destroyer Tokitsukaze floated helplessly all night and sank at sundown on March 4. Only the destroyers Shikinami, Asagumo, Yukikaze, and Uranami managed to escape. The Allies, in comparison, lost four aircraft: one B-17 and three P-38s. Thirteen American aircrewmen lost their lives: twelve in the four lost planes, plus a gunner on one of Ed Larner's B-25s when battle damage caused it to collapse upon landing.

On the afternoon of the fourth, the Japanese mounted a retaliatory raid on the Buna area, the site of a base the Allies had captured that January, but their fighters did practically no damage. In his memoir, Kenney smugly wrote that the Japanese reprisal occurred "after the horse had been stolen from the barn." Regarding his Japanese counterpart, he noted that "it was a good thing that the Nip air commander was stupid. Those hundred airplanes would have made our job awfully hard if they had taken part in the big fight over the convoy on March 3rd."

For the next several days, American and Australian airmen returned to the sight of the battle, systematically prowling the seas in search of Japanese survivors. As a coup de grâce, Kenney ordered his aircrew to strafe Japanese lifeboats and rafts. He euphemistically called these missions "mopping up" operations. A March 20, 1943, secret report proudly proclaimed, "The slaughter continued till nightfall. If any survivors were permitted to slip by our strafing aircraft, they were a minimum of 30 miles from land, in water thickly infested by man-eating sharks." Time after time, aircrew reported messages similar to the following: "Sighted, barge consisting of 200 survivors. Have finished attack. No survivors."

Kenney's chief of staff, Maj. Gen. Don Wilson, insisted that the Japanese "set the pace for 'no quarter' procedures" after an incident involving the only Allied bomber lost in the battle. During the initial assault on the morning of March 3, bullets penetrated the wing and radio compartment of the B-17 piloted by Lt. Woodrow Moore. Fire engulfed the plane and it went into a steep dive. Before the plane disintegrated, seven of the nine-man crew bailed out, but Japanese fighters strafed the airmen as they drifted to the sea six thousand feet below.

Aircrew who witnessed this incident were incensed. Capt. James Murphy recalled, " I wanted to vent some of my anger and kill every Japanese son of a bitch I could find." Three P-38 pilots dove their aircraft to engage the Japanese planes that were shooting the B-17 aircrew in their parachutes. All three P-38s were shot down, but not before taking five Japanese fighters with them.

Certainly, some aircrew were motivated by revenge, but most felt that military necessity justified their actions. In fact, Allied aircrews had commenced strafing survivors immediately after the initial attacks—before the loss of Lieutenant Moore's plane. And aircrews who hadn't witnessed Japanese fighters fire on the Americans in their parachutes also participated in the strafing of Japanese survivors. A tactical report by 2d Lt. Charles Howe detailing his March 3 attack in B-25-C1 No. 980 is typical: "Considerable time was spent after the release of all my bombs on strafing survivors and supplies which were strewn as far as the eye could see. On one strafing run against a previously damaged destroyer, I caught the survivors in the act of launching lifeboats. After firing for about seven seconds, I ceased firing to find the lifeboats overturned and the crowd of men attempting to gain the lifeboats definitely out of action."

At the time, strafing Japanese survivors was not controversial. The public's view was consistent with a comment made by one officer who flew on these missions: "The enemy is out to kill you and you are out to kill the enemy. You can't be sporting in war." The public rejoiced after hearing media reports that Japan suffered fifteen thousand casualties at the Battle of the Bismarck Sea. The New York Times and other newspapers ran the story on their front pages, and Life magazine featured General Kenney on its cover.

Enemy documents and diaries subsequently recovered from the convoy's wreckage revealed that those initial estimates of Japanese losses were exaggerated. One report, compiled from Japanese sources, placed the losses at 2,890. Another, compiled by the Allied Translator & Interpreter Section, suggested the Japanese lost 6,912. Despite this, Kenney and MacArthur steadfastly refused to revise their claims. Kenney threatened "action against those responsible" for questioning his assessment of the battle. A Fifth Air Force intelligence officer accused Kenney of ordering that reports and evidence suggesting lower Japanese losses be burned. MacArthur said at the time that he thought "the navy was trying to belittle the whole thing because they weren't in on it.…It's against the rules for land-based airplanes to sink ships, especially naval vessels. It's bad enough for them to sink merchant vessels. They ought to be sunk by battleship gunfire or by submarines. But for airplanes to do it, especially if they aren't naval airplanes, it's all wrong."

Regardless of the exact number of soldiers who perished and ships that were sunk, the Battle of the Bismarck Sea was a complete and decisive victory for Allied air power. Only 820 Japanese soldiers, minus their equipment, supplies, and weapons, made it to Lae. Kenney's congratulatory message to his staff summed up the effort well: "Air Power has written some important history in the past three days," he wrote. "Tell the whole gang that I am so proud of them I am about to blow a fuze."
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Maybe in the back of his mind he wondered if he would be courtmartialed when he got home.

View Quote

He fully expected to be court marshaled.

One of the great aviators of the 20th century, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#35]
A cousin of mine was killed in a B-25 in the South Pacific.
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Some more from the strafers in the Pacific.

Attack on Japanese Subchaser 39

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/20401/01114668B9794699842E47445145E055.jpg

Close up of the B-25 in the photo:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/20401/76DB590E7EDE447688826A668A2CAF20.jpg

Closer image of Subchaser 39 from above photo.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/20401/15AC9F8FCCDC4DA2B26AD48D8A11CBFB.jpg

Enhance:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/20401/18801CB5CDC64C19A9609B45630AC657.jpg

If you look closely at the ship, you can see the Japanese crew manning weapons, ducking and going for cover as the B-25's pass over.  A bomb skipping is in the upper part of the first photo.

The result:

http://ancientlights.org/images/dedication/image008.jpg
View Quote

I've seen the first pic. But that series is absolutely amazing.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#37]

IIRC,  same 75mm ammo as the SHERMAN TANK

KAPOOYA KAPOOYA !

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#39]
IIRC, same 75mm ammo as the SHERMAN TANK

KAPOOYA KAPOOYA !
View Quote

Oh yea!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 10:59:30 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes

Haven't been on in a few days. That's a great picture! I'm sure I have more of that bird on my external HD.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

First there was the Martin B-26 Marauder. Later in the war, the Douglas A-26 Invader was introduced. After WW2, the Marauder was retired and the Invader was redesignated the B-26.

Along came the Vietnam War and we had B-26 Invaders based in Thailand, IIRC. At the time, Thailand didn't want "bombers" based there, so the Invader was once again redesignated the A-26. Voila, no bombers flying out of Thailand, just attack aircraft. (I know B-52s flew out of Thailand, but that was later in the war.)

Makes as much sense as the BATF now saying that shouldering an AR15 pistol with a SIG brace turns the pistol into an illegal SBR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to my grandfather, after V-E Day, his BG/BS was to be shipped to CA for training on the A-26 and re-assigned to the PTO (after a small amount of time off).  V-J Day occurred before any of that happened though.  IIRC, he said they already re-designated it from the A-26 to B-26 by that point, but I may not be right, since he passed away in 1998.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:22:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Bad park job:

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#43]
My grandpa navigated one in Italy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I had the pleasure of flying right seat in a B-25 twice.
My father was converting them into water bombers and was in pretty tight with the checkout pilots.
Tasked with reading out the checklist for engine start up procedures I was in heaven.
Pushing up the throttles with the pilot was over the top and something I will never forget.

I was 12 years old. That aircraft changed my life.

Long live the B-25 !
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#45]

eta a couple more...

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:56:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Those are great planes. I had a chance to climb around in one up at the SAC museum in Nebraska.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:03:19 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
IIRC, same 75mm ammo as the SHERMAN TANK

KAPOOYA KAPOOYA !

Oh yea!!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/Invader_Zim_/B-25H75mmshellBarbie3.jpg

It was the 75mm gun off the M24 Chaffee actually. Not the M3 from the Sherman. Chaffee's gun was much lighter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:32:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bad park job:

http://i.imgur.com/lk3BNUu.jpg
View Quote

Empire State Building?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Dick Cole on the right, Doolittle's co-pilot on Tokyo Raid, is about to go up in "Special Delivery"

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#50]
My Grandfather's plane in the Pacific. 2nd Lt. Bombardier and Navigator

I started a thread a couple years ago with some pics. After having dinner with my Uncle (F4 Sundowner backseater USS Coral Sea), I learned that he apparently has some more photos. Excited to see what turns up.

LINK

I love this plane, one of my two favorites from WWII

ETA: I wish there was enough demand to remake some old warbirds, like they do with AC Cobra replicas.

P-51, P-48, B-17, B-25

How hard would it be to start back up? I know all of the tooling used has certainly be re-purposed, and it would make more sense to make more efficient powerplants, but the overall designs... awesome
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top