BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wish there was enough demand to remake some old warbirds, like they do with AC Cobra replicas.

P-51, P-48, B-17, B-25

How hard would it be to start back up? I know all of the tooling used has certainly be re-purposed, and it would make more sense to make more efficient powerplants, but the overall designs... awesome
View Quote

IIRC the Russians do that with one of theirs.  Something with mainly plywood construction, Yak-3 maybe.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It was the 75mm gun off the M24 Chaffee actually. Not the M3 from the Sherman. Chaffee's gun was much lighter.
View Quote

You're partially correct, there were two different versions of 75mm cannon mounted on the B-25 models. Both were modified for aircraft use. The B-25G had the heavier 75mm M4 cannon 2.9m long and weighed 410kg.   As well it was manual breech closing.  The vets I talked to said it had a slower rate of fire compared to the lighter version in the H model.

B-25H model got a lighter TE13E1 cannon, standardized as the M5 with automatic breech

while the M4 fitted to the B-25G was adapted from the M3 tank gun (as used in M4 Sherman tank), the M5 was the lightened version developed specifically for aircraft (and used in the B-25H) but this was later borrowed back as a tank gun and used in the M-24 Chaffee light tank.
View Quote

from Wiki:  
M4
The 75-mm aircraft gun M4 is a modification of the M3 gun which is found in medium tanks. It differs from the M3 gun, only in having a seat for the spline machined in the tube. it was mounted on the M6 mount.

T13E1 / M5
A lightweight version of the M3 with a lighter thin-walled barrel and a different recoil mechanism that was used in the B-25H Mitchell bomber. Uses the same ammunition and has the same ballistics as the M3.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Empire State Building?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bad park job:

http://i.imgur.com/lk3BNUu.jpg

Empire State Building?

Yep:

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
As a kid, made a model of a B-25 I believe called "Sha Boom"
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Inverted gull wings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The angle of the wings always bugged me. Too droopy.

Inverted gull wings.

The Corsair's are inverted.

Either 'style' copes with landing gear strut length and/or prop diameter design issues.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is one of my favorite B-25 pictures.  It shows Col. Doolittle sitting next to the wreckage of his a/c on a mountaintop the day after the Tokyo Raid.

View Quote

IMHO, one of WWII's greatest photographs showing Doctor, Colonel James H. Doolittle, PhD--a genuine National Asset.  One can imagine what-all goes through the mind of this hero in his perceived failure.  All the crews were brave men of course, but Doolittle was exceptional even amongst these peers.

One could go on-and-on about the commitment of precious assets for that mission--personal and National.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Collings Foundation B-25J Tondelayo and TP-51C Betty Jane. Tondelayo was the the 500th BS and fought a 45 minute running gun battle with Japanese fighters. She is credited with 10 kills on that mission and one ship.
GoPro still from a video shot by Jim Harley, primary P-51 piulot for the Foundation.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The original B-25 prototype had a standard dihedral wing. It was found to have a bad Dutch roll issue so the outer wing panels were flattened. Problem solved. The technique of tweaking flying surfaces for controllability issues was carried to the extreme with the F-4 Phantom. Outer wings were turned up to increase roll rate and horizontal stab was given anhedral to help with low speed controlability.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IMHO, one of WWII's greatest photographs showing Doctor, Colonel James H. Doolittle, PhD--a genuine National Asset.  One can imagine what-all goes through the mind of this hero in his perceived failure.  All the crews were brave men of course, but Doolittle was exceptional even amongst these peers.

View Quote

I don't know how those men all managed to stuff their balls into those little planes and still had room for bombs.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My Grandfather (Howard "Bus" Taylor) flew the B-25 below during WWII. Well actually this was his 3rd plane. One was lost when their airbase was bombed, and another was lost when Mt. Vesuvious erupted. His plane is now at  the Mid Atlantic Air Museum, and also flies all over the country for air shows. I really hope to see it some day, and maybe even fly in it.

Link to MAAM
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Grandfather (Howard "Bus" Taylor) flew the B-25 below during WWII. Well actually this was his 3rd plane. One was lost when their airbase was bombed, and another was lost when Mt. Vesuvious erupted. His plane is now at  the Mid Atlantic Air Museum, and also flies all over the country for air shows. I really hope to see it some day, and maybe even fly in it.

http://www.maam.org/airshow/images/B25-2_1.jpg

http://www.maam.org/airshow/images/noseart.jpg

Link to MAAM
View Quote

Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad park job:

http://i.imgur.com/lk3BNUu.jpg

Empire State Building?

Yep:

http://i.imgur.com/mKTNg0i.jpg

On September 11 I was driving to work with my boss when the announcement about the WTC came on the news.  This was the first thing I thought of, someone accidentally hit the building.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:17:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My Grandfather's plane in the Pacific. 2nd Lt. Bombardier and Navigator

I started a thread a couple years ago with some pics. After having dinner with my Uncle (F4 Sundowner backseater USS Coral Sea), I learned that he apparently has some more photos. Excited to see what turns up.

LINK

I love this plane, one of my two favorites from WWII

ETA: I wish there was enough demand to remake some old warbirds, like they do with AC Cobra replicas.

P-51, P-48, B-17, B-25

How hard would it be to start back up? I know all of the tooling used has certainly be re-purposed, and it would make more sense to make more efficient powerplants, but the overall designs... awesome
View Quote

Any chance you can repost the story/pics? I'm not seeing the pictures.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top