BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everyone on board was knocked out / dead from the initial drop from 30k.

The fright probably only lasted a few seconds before they were sleeping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like it came straight down from 30,000ft.

Damn.

That had to be one hell of a ride down.

The probability of such a depressurization scenario is very low.  Passenger aircraft are very large volumes, and for open hole areas almost as large as a window, the depressurization transient is roughly on the order of tens of minutes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Other than the 737MAX, the rest of the Boeing fleet haven't shown any unusual behavior conditions.

If you REALLY want to freak out, read the reports on the flight control systems on the Airbus accidents that have happened in the past 25 years.   And their flight control design philosophy spans across their entire product spectrum, so they all share similar design constraints/weaknesses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Name the last USA major airliner crash.

I can't.  I get your point.  Still doesnt make me want to get on a Boeing plane

Other than the 737MAX, the rest of the Boeing fleet haven't shown any unusual behavior conditions.

If you REALLY want to freak out, read the reports on the flight control systems on the Airbus accidents that have happened in the past 25 years.   And their flight control design philosophy spans across their entire product spectrum, so they all share similar design constraints/weaknesses.

I know this crash wasn't a MAX so no MCAS involved.

The funny thing is that MCAS is something Airbus would do. It was a complete departure from Boeing's historical approach.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The probability of such a depressurization scenario is very low.  Passenger aircraft are very large volumes, and for open hole areas almost as large as a window, the depressurization transient is roughly on the order of tens of minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like it came straight down from 30,000ft.

Damn.

That had to be one hell of a ride down.

I was thinking more along the lines the back of the cabin area snapped off.

But I guess we’ll see.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#4]
There are unconfirmed reports that they plane may have been hijacked and the pilot did this specifically to stop the real intention of having the plane hit a major population center.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
If I had a nickel for every time GD said a plane crash was due to terrorists...
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
May they RIP (unless they were all wuhan scientists)
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Airplanes don't go straight when the tail is missing...
View Quote

Come Fly with the B-2 Spirit Stealth Bomber
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The pilot was talking to the co-pilot about fried rice, and the co-pilot thought he said "fly right." So the co-pilot made a hard right turn, but there was a mountain there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before pilot names jokes.

The pilot was talking to the co-pilot about fried rice, and the co-pilot thought he said "fly right." So the co-pilot made a hard right turn, but there was a mountain there.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"No word on casualties."

It slammed into a mountain.  I'll make a prediction.
View Quote

The image shown above looks like a nosedive to the ground, not a mountain strike.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Climate change caused the crash
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pilot guys on here: Can something like a 737 do a vertical dive and pull out, are the structurally sound enough to? I know fighters are built differently.

That video is horrible, I feel for the people.
View Quote

Sure, if they have enough altitude.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#12]
China operated?

Someone didn’t do maintenance and checks.

But then again Boeing has been on a trajectory of subpar post-American exceptionalism.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In a nutshell, the answer is no. Once the nose goes below 45 or 50° nose low, unless the aircraft is very slow, (unlikely) the aircraft does not have the structural capability to withstand the G’s that would be  required for recovery. If the pilot pulled up very gently to avoid over G’ing the aircraft, the airspeed would climb. So it would be a trade-off of how hard you could pull relative to how fast the airplane was going. It is possible, depending on the circumstances, to recover, but you might incur structural damage. The  aircraft might possibly still be flyable with that damage. Certainly if you’re going 400 knots straight down there’s no way to recover.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pilot guys on here: Can something like a 737 do a vertical dive and pull out, are the structurally sound enough to? I know fighters are built differently.

That video is horrible, I feel for the people.

In a nutshell, the answer is no. Once the nose goes below 45 or 50° nose low, unless the aircraft is very slow, (unlikely) the aircraft does not have the structural capability to withstand the G’s that would be  required for recovery. If the pilot pulled up very gently to avoid over G’ing the aircraft, the airspeed would climb. So it would be a trade-off of how hard you could pull relative to how fast the airplane was going. It is possible, depending on the circumstances, to recover, but you might incur structural damage. The  aircraft might possibly still be flyable with that damage. Certainly if you’re going 400 knots straight down there’s no way to recover.

So, no then yes, then structural failure?

If you’re at a high enough altitude you absolutely could. US airline training requires unusual attitude recovery training in the simulator. If done as trained you absolutely could recover from that.

Who cares if the airframe never flies again, but a transport category aircraft could recover if it has enough altitude.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It wasn't a max here, but, the max is the last I can think of where the entire fleet was grounded. 300 people dead in 2 crashes, no max flown for two years... It ain't good.
View Quote
Every Max built is in the air today. I would fly on one every day with zero worry on major US carriers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vb7IKhVKu4

Lol thats a horrible comparison.

The B-2 is fly by wire and cant perform without functioning flight computers. Especially if theres an issue with the air data probes (which caused one to crash).

The Boeing 737 NG is an old fashioned stick and rudder aircraft with no fly-by wire.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#16]
If I happened to be a suicidal pilot in that aircraft, I would do a full TOGA thrust climb into a hammerhead stall. Then attempt an inverted flat spin before transitioning into a lawn dart landing. But that's just me.

btw, inverted flat spins are the bees knees.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All the plane crashes the last 5 years really makes me not want to fly at all.  Glad I work at home.
View Quote

Drama Llama much?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The NGs have been out of production for 10+ years now.
View Quote

????

It's says this planes first flight was in 2015.

According to Wiki, the NGs were in production through 2019.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#19]
China pilots….  Poor 747.

China Airlines 747 smashing into cargo containers at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Damn RIP
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAeBmT2I2uk
View Quote

Go over to YouTube and listen to the Chinese pilots cause ATC to lose their shit, with their inability to follow instructions etc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Every Max built is in the air today. I would fly on one every day with zero worry on major US carriers.
View Quote

Errr.....except those 2 that caused all the fuss.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
JFC, some of you guys...

The odds of being in a fatal crash on a 737 are approximately 1 in 10 million for any given flight (give or take, depends on the exact model).

That's safer than stepping into your shower.   Especially that dark old slippery tub in Mom's basement.

View Quote

Yeah but odds of dieing in any plane crash are only 1 in 10k. And that’s not terrible but it’s definitely not great at all.
Dieing by dog attack is 1 in 70k but I guarantee there are probably more people here afraid of dogs then airplanes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The B-2 is fly by wire and cant perform without functioning flight computers. Especially if theres an issue with the air data probes (which caused one to crash).

The Boeing 737 NG is an old fashioned stick and rudder aircraft with no fly-by wire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah but odds of dieing in any plane crash are only 1 in 10k. And that’s not terrible but it’s definitely not great at all.
Dieing by dog attack is 1 in 70k but I guarantee there are probably more people here afraid of dogs then airplanes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JFC, some of you guys...

The odds of being in a fatal crash on a 737 are approximately 1 in 10 million for any given flight (give or take, depends on the exact model).

That's safer than stepping into your shower.   Especially that dark old slippery tub in Mom's basement.

Wait until you see the odds of dying in a car crash. You’ll never leave the basement again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There’s a great documentary about the MAX and the flight control problems it has. The new 737s still use the old airframes. The whole upgrade process was hastily thrown together to compete with airbus. It is a dangerous plane and it always has been.
View Quote

Netflix ? where ?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Those are free Taiwanese Chinese not Red Commie Chinese...

BTW I was on that cargo ramp afterwards, and it was ugly.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2117/9D6DA221-417F-4ABC-94BA-4B073E69494A_jpe-2321324.JPG

Yup, I thought about that one. They got lucky and were "somewhat" able control the aircraft with gear config and some other tricks.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/IMG_3002_jpeg-2321333.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/IMG_3002_jpeg-2321333.JPG

Wow, it looks like the engine didn't even lose a turbine blade.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Now they are 133 good communists.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hard to tell from these pictures as this is a week afterwards. The cowlings look intact, but I am sure that there were pieces strewn all over the place...
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Netflix ? where ?
View Quote

Netflix. Its called Downfall.
https://www.netflix.com/search?q=downfall&jbv=81272421
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hard to tell from these pictures as this is a week afterwards. The cowlings look intact, but I am sure that there were pieces strewn all over the place...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#35]
The guy saying that "once you are whatever degrees nose down you can't recover the aircraft" is wrong.

There is video of guys inadvertently spinning a 717 on You Tube during stall testing.  Recovery from a spin involves stopping the spin and pushing the nose down to get flying again then pulling out of the dive.  They overspeed the aircraft pretty substantially but pulled it off.  

There are ways to keep the airplane slow.  

RE: this accident - airplanes want to fly.  I am pretty sure that a straight down dive would have to be intentional if all the control surfaces are intact and working as intended and weight/balance is within limits.  

If this was done to combat an on-board hijacking..........what are the chances that such a domestically militant country would suffer a legit domestic terrorist attack, especially immediately after siding with Russia against Ukraine, the US, and the international community at large?  That's crazy conspiracy theorist shit.      

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#36]
737-800, b-1791, Built 2015

So relatively new as passenger planes go.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JFC, some of you guys...

Sense of control and the resulting consequences are far different in a car crash or falling in a bathtub situation.  If you die because you fell out of a bathtub you don't fall 30,000ft out of the tub to your death, lol.  If you die in a car crash you're not likely to die as a result of your car accidentally going off the summit of Mt. Everest.  When driving you can control your own vehicle, have protective features that actually can save your life, and have good situational awareness.  When getting out of a tub you can grab hold on something and it's something pretty normal we do, that 999 times out of 1000 occur without issue.  

Whereas with an airplane you're strapped in at the mercy of the pilots, and the mystery of whatever is going on in the cabin.  Random weather crap or sudden parts failures carry with them the risk of a plane crash; an event in which you have no felt sense of control, don't know when the sudden stp will occur or if suddenly things will get under control and be ok, and in which safety items like belts and oxygen won't do a damned thing if the plane comes down bigly, or breaks up in the air.  Couple that with a lot of people having a general fear of heights, and that results in air travel seeming much more risky than taking a bath.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The image shown above looks like a nosedive to the ground, not a mountain strike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No word on casualties."

It slammed into a mountain.  I'll make a prediction.

That was an early report before the video came out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sense of control and the resulting consequences are far different in a car crash or falling in a bathtub situation.  If you die because you fell out of a bathtub you don't fall 30,000ft out of the tub to your death, lol.  If you die in a car crash you're not likely to die as a result of your car accidentally going off the summit of Mt. Everest.  When driving you can control your own vehicle, have protective features that actually can save your life, and have good situational awareness.  When getting out of a tub you can grab hold on something and it's something pretty normal we do, that 999 times out of 1000 occur without issue.  

Whereas with an airplane you're strapped in at the mercy of the pilots, and the mystery of whatever is going on in the cabin.  Random weather crap or sudden parts failures carry with them the risk of a plane crash; an event in which you have no felt sense of control, don't know when the sudden stp will occur or if suddenly things will get under control and be ok, and in which safety items like belts and oxygen won't do a damned thing if the plane comes down bigly, or breaks up in the air.  Couple that with a lot of people having a general fear of heights, and that results in air travel seeming much more risky than taking a bath.
View Quote

This is why I hate flying and the cause of my anxiety when I do. If i get into a car crash my chance of survival is much greater than plummeting from 30k feet where I have no control of anything.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The guy saying that "once you are whatever degrees nose down you can't recover the aircraft" is wrong.

There is video of guys inadvertently spinning a 717 on You Tube during stall testing.  Recovery from a spin involves stopping the spin and pushing the nose down to get flying again then pulling out of the dive.  They overspeed the aircraft pretty substantially but pulled it off.  

There are ways to keep the airplane slow.  

RE: this accident - airplanes want to fly.  I am pretty sure that a straight down dive would have to be intentional if all the control surfaces are intact and working as intended and weight/balance is within limits.  

If this was done to combat an on-board hijacking..........what are the chances that such a domestically militant country would suffer a legit domestic terrorist attack, especially immediately after siding with Russia against Ukraine, the US, and the international community at large?  That's crazy conspiracy theorist shit.      

View Quote
Is there any reason to assume the controls were all intact and working?  Lots of crashes over the years have happened because of sudden problems with controls.

Also Aeroflot Flight 593 initially went into a near vertical dive due to the pilot's son being allowed in the cockpit and accidentally disengaging the autopilot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
A civilian jet went down with all hands and this is the first thing that came to your mind?  Real classy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Looks purposeful
View Quote

Here is My gut feeling - do aircraft crash in a perfectly vertical dive without some "assistance"?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:36:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Know how I can tell you've never left your mom's basement?

The large number of mainland Chinese people I've worked with (in China) over the last 30 years are just like us.  They love their family, appreciate their jobs, and tolerate their government.  So, don't be that guy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is why I hate flying and the cause of my anxiety when I do. If i get into a car crash my chance of survival is much greater than plummeting from 30k feet where I have no control of anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if you are involved in a plane crash, you're actually likely to survive.

Obviously not this one, but statistically, you're more likely to live than die.

It really is just a control issue.  People like to believe they're in control. Most of the times they are not. Being in an airplane just makes it obvious.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A civilian jet went down with all hands and this is the first thing that came to your mind?  Real classy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did have a chuckle but felt bad afterwards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The large number of mainland Chinese people I've worked with (in China) over the last 30 years are just like us.  They love their family, appreciate their jobs, and tolerate their government.  So, don't be that guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The other 364 days of the year, GD is hating on China and Chinese as much as possible.

I'm surprised he was the first and last to say it based on the normal sentiment here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

While true, that NF doc on the Max, DKs one into thinking they fully understand the AOA SPOF MCAS issue with the ailerons.
View Quote
Acronym salad AFAIK make FUBAR post unreadable IMHO, but IANAL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#48]
I wonder if a massive failure from a damaged compartment section could have occurred, along the lines of this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Air_Lines_Flight_123
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:00:15 PM EDT
[#49]
My sole experience flying is from simulators, but I assumed that the tail was for rudder control, left and right controls. Elevator controls should have been fine, as well as aileron controls.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

????

It's says this planes first flight was in 2015.

According to Wiki, the NGs were in production through 2019.
View Quote

Interesting. I stand corrected. I work on the BSI interior (the generation after NG) and that went into production 10+ years ago. I had assumed they phased out the NG production at that time.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top