User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd suspect it should be no word on survivors.

Terrible

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately it looks like suicide to me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The other 364 days of the year, GD is hating on China and Chinese as much as possible.
I'm surprised he was the first and last to say it based on the normal sentiment here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now they are 133 good communists.
Know how I can tell you've never left your mom's basement?
The large number of mainland Chinese people I've worked with (in China) over the last 30 years are just like us.  They love their family, appreciate their jobs, and tolerate their government.  So, don't be that guy.
The other 364 days of the year, GD is hating on China and Chinese as much as possible.
I'm surprised he was the first and last to say it based on the normal sentiment here.

I have no issues with the average Chinese citizen.  They're just people trying to live their lives.  The biggest gripe I have is that most of them make shitty tourists.

The leaders of their government are a different matter.  I wish the plane was full of them instead, including the pilots.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
All the plane crashes the last 5 years really makes me not want to fly at all.  Glad I work at home.
View Quote

Stop being dramatic, this is the safest time in commercial aviation. Ever.

Disregard, it’s already been addressed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why is this "Breaking" This affects us ZERO
View Quote

edgy
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Video:

View Quote

Well that looks intentional.

Have we seen the flight passenger list yet?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Not a pilot but there is no way an airliner can go vertical into the ground like that unintentionally, especially a newer airplane.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not a pilot but there is no way an airliner can go vertical into the ground like that unintentionally, especially a newer airplane.
View Quote

Not exactly true.  

The scenario other than suicide that could look like this is the plane enters rapid, steady descent, they figure out the cause (whatever may have caused it) about 9000’, pull up too hard, tail feathers come off, nose dive.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#9]
In before we find out the plane was full of their biological scientists from Wuhan.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Has there ever been an airplane crash thread in GD where the first guesses weren't intentional/terrorism?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
People actually fly on Chinese airplanes?
View Quote

Only briefly.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
What do you base that statement on?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
The 737 is great airframe,  the 737 max was complete mistake from the ground up, they should all be scrapped.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There are unconfirmed reports that they plane may have been hijacked and the pilot did this specifically to stop the real intention of having the plane hit a major population center.
View Quote

So just pure speculation at this point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Interesting. The 737 is pretty much the safest thing to ever leave a runway besides a bird. I'd bet either "deferred maintenance" or sabotage.

The MAX is a whole different ballgamne though, and shouldnt rest on the laurels of the 737 IMO.

Either way, if that pic is right that thing lawn darted right in so at least it was one quick checkout for the passengers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Only briefly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People actually fly on Chinese airplanes?

Only briefly.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A civilian jet went down with all hands and this is the first thing that came to your mind?  Real classy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now they are 133 good communists.
A civilian jet went down with all hands and this is the first thing that came to your mind?  Real classy.

Actually that was the second thing not out of my mouth but from my phone. The first thing had more to do with  Chinese aircraft maintenance and how Boeing will get the blame.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The 737 is great airframe,  the 737 max was complete mistake from the ground up, they should all be scrapped.
View Quote

There were many mistakes, all were avoidable, and all could’ve been fixed/mitigated easily. They should be scrapped? Maybe on feelings alone - otherwise, that’s absurd.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Deleted. I don’t want to hurt any more feels.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah but odds of dieing in any plane crash are only 1 in 10k. And that’s not terrible but it’s definitely not great at all.
Dieing by dog attack is 1 in 70k but I guarantee there are probably more people here afraid of dogs then airplanes.
View Quote

Your odds of being involved in a fatal plane crash (of any type of plane) are about 1 in 5 million, per flight (based on 2020 numbers).

For your odds to be 1 in 10k over a given period of time, you'd need to fly approximately 500 times, in planes with an average chance of crashing.

US-based commercial airlines are safer than average, so a lot of your flights would need to be on Aeroflot or in GA planes piloted by doctors.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, I'll do it....

Pilots names released:

Wi Tu Lo & Sum Ting Wong
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone Called Dragons for the cause yet?

Then of course the standard

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#23]
737-800.

NOT Max.

China Eastern Airlines Flight 5735 Crash 21 March 2022
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Chinese maintenance is my guess.  The engineers have more training in arrogance than aeronautics. Bad news and Boeing will get the blame. Fuck China.
View Quote

Lots of airlines outsource their maintenance to places like China.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Tough one. Hate to speculate on cause. But if the 737 gets too fast in a dive, really overspeeds, a mach wave will form over the horizontal stab making it impossible to pull out. With pod slung engines, in a dive, throttles need to be pulled to Idle, exacerbating the pitch down, but lessening thrust, elevator and stab trim use to pitch the nose up has to be judicious so as not to over G the Aircraft. NG in certain weight, altitude and wind conditions can overspeed just easing over out of altitude at VNAV TOD (vertical navigation at top of descent) on autopilot. Just have to monitor and anticipate it, click off auto throttles and autopilot if necessary, and lesson the rate of descent. Sometimes a mountain wave issue, but usually not violent enough to depart the aircraft.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Climate change caused the crash
View Quote

You might be on to something.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sense of control and the resulting consequences are far different in a car crash or falling in a bathtub situation.  If you die because you fell out of a bathtub you don't fall 30,000ft out of the tub to your death, lol.  If you die in a car crash you're not likely to die as a result of your car accidentally going off the summit of Mt. Everest.  When driving you can control your own vehicle, have protective features that actually can save your life, and have good situational awareness.  When getting out of a tub you can grab hold on something and it's something pretty normal we do, that 999 times out of 1000 occur without issue.  

Whereas with an airplane you're strapped in at the mercy of the pilots, and the mystery of whatever is going on in the cabin.  Random weather crap or sudden parts failures carry with them the risk of a plane crash; an event in which you have no felt sense of control, don't know when the sudden stp will occur or if suddenly things will get under control and be ok, and in which safety items like belts and oxygen won't do a damned thing if the plane comes down bigly, or breaks up in the air.  Couple that with a lot of people having a general fear of heights, and that results in air travel seeming much more risky than taking a bath.
View Quote

engineer here (not the train kind).

you are confusing your emotions with statistics.

if you are at a US airport flying domestically, and concerned about the risk of dying -- whatever you do, do not drive home.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Covid got 'em
View Quote

Knock it the fuck off with this shit
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Prayers for those lost.

Crazy video. Would tail separation cause something like that?
I can’t imagine those poor people’s last moments… sheer terror. And recognition that you are going to die…

At least it was quick.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
737-800, b-1791, Built 2015

So relatively new as passenger planes go.
View Quote

I’d guess that fuselage was made here in Wichita.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they make them anywhere else?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Video:

China probably did it to make Boeing look bad.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Video:

Right as their own domestic equivalent rolls out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Covid got 'em

Switch to decaf
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lots of airlines outsource their maintenance to places like China.
View Quote

When I started in aviation I made real good money contracting at big maintenance shops. A lot of those jobs went to China.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Drama Llama much?
View Quote

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE ON AN AIRPLANE!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Covid got 'em
View Quote

Not, Kung Flew
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tough one. Hate to speculate on cause. But if the 737 gets too fast in a dive, really overspeeds, a mach wave will form over the horizontal stab making it impossible to pull out. With pod slung engines, in a dive, throttles need to be pulled to Idle, exacerbating the pitch down, but lessening thrust, elevator and stab trim use to pitch the nose up has to be judicious so as not to over G the Aircraft. NG in certain weight, altitude and wind conditions can overspeed just easing over out of altitude at VNAV TOD (vertical navigation at top of descent) on autopilot. Just have to monitor and anticipate it, click off auto throttles and autopilot if necessary, and lesson the rate of descent. Sometimes a mountain wave issue, but usually not violent enough to depart the aircraft.
View Quote

Thanks for this. I’ll print it out and keep it with me in case I need to help pull a 737 out of a stall
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:21:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
No offense to you but this reads like an armchair flightsim commando.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#40]

If that is it then the mountain rumor is irrelevant.  No one survived it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Older ones maybe in Renton? Don’t know.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#42]
What were the pilots names?

What?  

Too soon?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Yup, those folks are greesy spots now.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll do it....

Pilots names released:

Wi Tu Lo & Sum Ting Wong
View Quote
What about Ho Lee Fuk, and
Bang Ding Oww?

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:44:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

T-45 instructor pilot to Southwest Airlines??
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd guess that fuselage was made here in Wichita.

It's possible - but not very good
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll do it....

Pilots names released:

Wi Tu Lo & Sum Ting Wong
View Quote

Someone should call you an idiot
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe my 2,200 T-45 Navy IP hours and 15,000 B737-200/300/500/700/800/Max hours made me talk a little too technical. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In before we find out the plane was full of their biological scientists from Wuhan.
View Quote
I'd bet money that the relevant Wuhan-ers have already been "disappeared".
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe my 2,500 T-45 Navy IP hours and 18,500 B737-200/300/500/700/800/Max hours made me talk a little too technical. Sorry about that.
View Quote
That's a lot of hours in a armchair
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top