BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will the chinese allow a finding that doesn't fit in the government narrative?

View Quote

doubtful, seeing as we don't allow findings that don't fit desired narratives...
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Should fly into some of the Alaskan Bush hubs that Alaska Air flies into with the 737s. Some are just long enough for the 737.

Years ago we flew into Anchorage the day after the 747 had a engine fall off do to turbulence.
It was still rough going in and out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopping from ATL to Baton Rouge, weather in ATL connections got missed...ended up on a flight with maybe 3 pax.  Very relaxed flight, cabin crew was just hanging out with us in between doing the required things.  Get to BR, everybody gets set for landing, normal final and touchdown...then reversers, engines spool up, all the brakes...honest to God I didn't know planes could stop that hard.   If not for the belt I'd have come out of the seat.

Cabin crew gets on the speaker and says "welcome to the USS Baton Rouge, the captain likes to take the first taxi way"

Walking off the plane, crew standing there, I look at the captain and ask "navy?"  He just laughed.
Should fly into some of the Alaskan Bush hubs that Alaska Air flies into with the 737s. Some are just long enough for the 737.

Years ago we flew into Anchorage the day after the 747 had a engine fall off do to turbulence.

If an engine fell off, it wasn't due to turbulence.  More likely failed engine mount, the severe turb just finished it off.  I once flew a SWA 737 from PHX to ABQ around 2011, it was missing a few rivets on the top of the wing at the engine pylon near the leading edge.  As we taxiied out, I could see the engine was bouncing a little bit and that panel was flexing open and shut.  Lost a few more rivets during climbout, and that engine was definitely bouncing around a lot more than usual.  I just shut my window and tried to catch a nap.  We made it to ABQ and I reported it to the flight deck on my way out.  The FO just said "we'll have to check that out!"  They then loaded up the next batch and pushed back again.  I guess someone caught it in time...........
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt it, hell, here in America there are lots of incidents that the government will not allow a finding that doesn't fit the preferred narrative.  Granted they are mainly government or politically oriented incidents, but the concept is the same.  China's air carrier are government owned IIRC?
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

doubtful, seeing as we don't allow findings that don't fit desired narratives...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If an engine fell off, it wasn't due to turbulence.  More likely failed engine mount, the severe turb just finished it off.  I once flew a SWA 737 from PHX to ABQ around 2011, it was missing a few rivets on the top of the wing at the engine pylon near the leading edge.  As we taxiied out, I could see the engine was bouncing a little bit and that panel was flexing open and shut.  Lost a few more rivets during climbout, and that engine was definitely bouncing around a lot more than usual.  I just shut my window and tried to catch a nap.  We made it to ABQ and I reported it to the flight deck on my way out.  The FO just said "we'll have to check that out!"  They then loaded up the next batch and pushed back again.  I guess someone caught it in time...........
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Epstein did not kill himself.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hopping from ATL to Baton Rouge, weather in ATL connections got missed...ended up on a flight with maybe 3 pax.  Very relaxed flight, cabin crew was just hanging out with us in between doing the required things.  Get to BR, everybody gets set for landing, normal final and touchdown...then reversers, engines spool up, all the brakes...honest to God I didn't know planes could stop that hard.   If not for the belt I'd have come out of the seat.

Cabin crew gets on the speaker and says "welcome to the USS Baton Rouge, the captain likes to take the first taxi way"

Walking off the plane, crew standing there, I look at the captain and ask "navy?"  He just laughed.

The turbulence was extreme when it lost the engine.
Airport shut down til the winds died down a little.

Mountains surround Anchorage so winds can get ugly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You broke the code.
We try to keep it an industry secret that jet engines are held on the wings by a few rivots.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Max's issue stems from the newer, bigger engines. Since the 737 airframe has a low ground clearance, it meant they had to move the engines forward and up on the wing to fit. It was the cheaper solution than engineering taller landing gears.This gave it a flight dynamic prone to higher angles of attack. If left unnoticed and uncorrected, it could lead to a stall condition.

Boeing's answer was to install an automatic High AOA mitigation system. In theory great! As built, catastrophic. The system was built with only one AOA sensor due to "cost". In a Boeing, there used to be multiple redundant systems and sensors for safety for nearly every system. This single sensor fed an AOA system that had NO off switch. Meaning, if there was a erroneous reading from the stall sensor, the flight control computer would take over and force the nose down to prevent a stall. There was no way to override it. Again, relying on this SINGLE erronious sensor to verify the stall event was corrected....

The final failure of the Max was pilot training. The FAA pretty much let Boeing certify their own 737 Max training, and as I understand the content completely skimmed over the AOA/ Stall mitigation system. Pretty much told pilots that were type rated for the 737 it was the same plane, with a fancier cockpit. Either completely failing to address the new system, or simply telling pilots it was a low probability theyd ever see it used.

Lone AOA sensor, no way to turn it off and most pilots had no idea about its existence. 3 points of fuckup lead to the 2 deadly Max crashes. Every failure could have been easy to correct. But due to cost, regulation and time it was simply swept aside by Boeing management to get the Max out to compete with the A320 Neo
View Quote

Technically, you could ‘turn it off’ (negate its flight control impact) by disabling the stab trim.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Technically, you could ‘turn it off’ (negate its flight control impact) by disabling the stab trim.
View Quote

Well....if it's true that the system itself was glossed over in the training I doubt they touched on how to negate it's effects...
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have they ever?
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The second flight recorder was reportedly found.  Radio news report.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Refresh the thread with BULLSHIT.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3172166/flight-mu5735-dna-tests-confirm-identities-all-china-eastern-airlines

All 132 victims of the China Eastern Airlines flight MU5735 plane crash have been identified through DNA testing, investigators said on Monday as President Xi Jinping paid tribute to the victims of the country’s deadliest aviation disaster in decades.
Liu Kaihui, from the Ministry of Public Security’s forensic evidence department, said the process was completed using DNA samples from relatives.
“With the help of fingerprint comparisons, we have confirmed the identities of all the victims,” Liu said in Wuzhou in the Guangxi Zhuang autonomous region, near the crash site.
View Quote

There is no f'n way that all 132 pax have had DNA samples matched - especially since they were basically vaporized/incinerated on impact.  THE CCP is giving this a "pass".
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You broke the code.
We try to keep it an industry secret that jet engines are held on the wings by a few rivots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You broke the code.

It wasn't the missing rivets that bothered me, it was the entire situation of the way the engine and mount were bouncing excessively, which was in turn flexing the upper skin, which was in turn losing more and more rivets while we flew along.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top