Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't imagine they will stop selling back yard pools or beer and wine.

I have not gone there in years after trying to buy some Pedialyte for my sick daughter and having to deal with retarded checker at 3 am.  I should not call her retarded, it gives retarded people a bad name.  That was 16 years ago.  Tonight I am going to have a sit down with the wife and tell her HEB and Krogers needs our money more than Wally Martinez.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One problem is the LGS doesn't get the same deals that PSA or Walmart does, they pay a lot more from the distributors for smaller quantities then the big outlets.

They may only be charging 10-15% mark up, but its still 40% more than other stores like PSA, SGammo, etc.

They should be more willing to order from high volume retailers like PSA rather than their distributors who are often more expensive but too many don't understand that and don't do it.
View Quote
Or they can do like us poors, gather a few of their buddies and go in on a few pallets.Split the cost, and sell lower and still make a profit?

Or, just go in as a coop with a shit ton of other stores and become a coop distributor?

Buying retail, or damn near it then turn around and marking up is not a winning strategy today.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Okay. So the box of 9 that's $8.00 at PSA should be less than $9.50 in store....not $14.00
View Quote
PSA does massive volume and probably gets that for $7

LGS probably pays $9-10 for that ammo
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not shopping at Walmart anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know in some towns Walmart is the only place to buy ammo.  Those people are going to be hit the worst.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe. But most gun owners I know think it’s no big deal.
I know in some towns Walmart is the only place to buy ammo.  Those people are going to be hit the worst.
Yep. But lots of gun owners have a holier than now attitude because they reload, or can afford to order bulk ammo online.

There are lots of people who will be negatively impacted by this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We believe these actions will reduce our market share of ammunition from around 20% to a range of approximately 6 to 9%. We believe it will likely drift toward the lower end of that range, over time, given the combination of these changes.

Wow, that is a lot a of ammo sales. The category manager is going to be sweating that number.
View Quote
They just gave up 15% of the US ammunition market.

I wonder what Doug received in return.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One problem is the LGS doesn't get the same deals that PSA or Walmart does, they pay a lot more from the distributors for smaller quantities then the big outlets.

They may only be charging 10-15% mark up, but its still 40% more than other stores like PSA, SGammo, etc.

They should be more willing to order from high volume retailers like PSA rather than their distributors who are often more expensive but too many don't understand that and don't do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay. So the box of 9 that's $8.00 at PSA should be less than $9.50 in store....not $14.00

PSA don't do net 30 that I am aware of
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve been thinking about switching to another store for awhile now, but it’s a massive pain.

I’ll probably make the switch now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Wal-Mart doesn't really know their customers if they think that ceasing the sale of handgun ammo and supporting firearm hunters is compatible.  Here in the midwest, lots of deer hunters are using pistol caliber rifles to hunt deer.  The .44 Mag WWB ammo I use in my Ruger 77/44 came from Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Just bought some 22 they said they are still gonna sell 22
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is the sporting goods manager at Walmart, he hasn’t heard any of this crap. Nothing is coming from corporate.
View Quote
It’s true, meetings are being held by Store managers now.

I just called one and verified.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I never knew Target sold ammo. They only showed up in NY in the 90s I think and were a fancy pants version of Wal Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Target stopped selling ammo decades ago
I never knew Target sold ammo. They only showed up in NY in the 90s I think and were a fancy pants version of Wal Mart
I still have a couple boxes with target price tags.

Walgreens and Kmart used to sell ammo too in California.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Only thing I bought at that dump was ammo. No big deal, Target Sports will see more of my money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds like they need to buy from PSA  and dump their distributor? Everyone wins?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then LGS should buy it for $8.00 from PSA
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Ammo prices at the local gun shops are already 25-30% higher than Walmart. With no local competition, I wonder how high they’ll go?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We believe these actions will reduce our market share of ammunition from around 20% to a range of approximately 6 to 9%. We believe it will likely drift toward the lower end of that range, over time, given the combination of these changes.

Wow, that is a lot a of ammo sales. The category manager is going to be sweating that number.
View Quote
IMHO, that is absolutely stupid on the part of Walmart.  How many millions are they going to be throwing away?  A retail company is in business to make sales, which make money.  Which keeps the shareholders happy.  You don't do anything that will negatively impact your sales and your bottom line.  And when a company makes virtue signaling statements like this, they're also going to lose customers that will buy groceries, home items, toiletries, etc.  Absolutely stupid!

The gun counter managers at Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, and Academy Sports must have a smile on their face today.  FWIW, I emailed their corporate offices and told them that I would be spending my money at other stores.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Surely this will solve all of our problems.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I see more people OCing at Walmart than I do anywhere else.

I had bought the $16, hundred round boxes of Federal 9mm there regularly. Just have to start buying 9mm in bulk online instead.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
pretty soon there will be nowhere left to shop
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Walmart can piss off
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to imagine ammunition manufacturers are going to be hurt by this, what % of their production capacity is used by Walmart? I'd bet it's quite high.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a friend who is the sporting goods manager at Walmart, he hasn’t heard any of this crap. Nothing is coming from corporate.
https://i.postimg.cc/Hs6txXxs/F3149176-C9-A1-48-D8-A83-A-03-FE4-E137150.jpg
Well shit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Or they can do like us poors, gather a few of their buddies and go in on a few pallets.Split the cost, and sell lower and still make a profit?

Or, just go in as a coop with a shit ton of other stores and become a coop distributor?

Buying retail, or damn near it then turn around and marking up is not a winning strategy today.
View Quote
My point is shopping around and buying lowest end retail is often cheaper than distributor prices. Sometimes much cheaper. Maybe not for every item, but certainly a significant amount of esp for high volume stuff like 9mm ammunition.

Yet many LGS's don't realize that. They just go to their favorite distributor and just order what they want to sell and mark it up.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't care , Wally World sucks. Buy online brought to your door.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I shop daily at my local store.  The employees there knew my wife and I were expecting a baby, and knew when they didn't see me for a few days that baby must have come.  When I showed up again I had three different employees ask if baby had arrived, and were quick to congratulate me.

I buy pretty much everything there.  I live in a small town, an hour from the nearest city, and shopping at Walmart saves me a lot of money.  Or rather, it did.

I'm PISSED.

I've written Walmart and called.  I asked if they were going to stop selling Cigs, booze, and opiods.  I asked if the rifle ammo was only going to be 223, or if they were going to stop selling 308, or 300BLK, or 7.62x39.

This is nothing but political posturing and I will spend twice as much buying locally or buy online if I can't find it locally.  This is going to be hard as hell for me given the limited places left to shop around here, but FUCK THEM.

Make them hurt.  Don't do your OTHER SHOPPING there.  I drop at least a grand a month at Walmart.  Every month.  That's not much in the grand scheme of things, but if even half the shooters stopped buying groceries and other shit there it would hurt them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Walmart stock is slightly up today
View Quote
Yep. Dow down almost 350 but WMT up 0.41
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Walmart is a $350 billion dollar company. This will have 0 impact on their bottom line.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Target stopped selling ammo decades ago

Yep have some old 308 with Shopko tags as well
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
For now......then what?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if WM has half a billion tied up in ammo inventory.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Walmart is a $350 billion dollar company. This will have 0 impact on their bottom line.
View Quote
I don't think they would care if it did.  Being "woke" is street cred to the elitist liberal rich.  The CEO did this anticipating an uptick in his social life.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't disagree , but sure freight and net 30 come into play as well

I do know a couple of small gunshow sellers that use PSA Buds etc as their distributors as the big guys require proof of store front

What's PSA charge for freight on a case of ammo ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:47:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Helps LGS
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

My point is shopping around and buying lowest end retail is often cheaper than distributor prices. Sometimes much cheaper. Maybe not for every item, but certainly a significant amount of esp for high volume stuff like 9mm ammunition.

Yet many LGS's don't realize that. They just go to their favorite distributor and just order what they want to sell and mark it up.
View Quote
Wellbye.gif @ LGS that does that.
With that level of incompetency and poor decision making skills they should have already gone out of business. We should NOT support assholes like that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My local walmart doesn't stock weapons and hasn't stocked ammo in about 18 months.

I remember buying Perfecta 9mm and 45acp from them back in the day.  One time I tried to buy them out and the dumb clerk saw the .22lr limit sign and said I could only get 2 boxes.  I don't buy ammo there because the prices aren't all that great, but for the everyday person who isn't aware of ammo sales online (or is intimidated by the process), I'm sure Walmart isn't too bad.
View Quote
There is one in west Atlanta that hasn't sold any firearms or ammunition in years that I am aware of. It is in a bad area full of the usual suspects from Atlanta, makes sense that they wouldn't sell it there if for no other reason than to cut down on shoplifting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#41]
our local Walmart is the only store in a 100 mile area that carries any stock of shooting equipment and ammo.  They have a very large gun display and ammo selection, along with all reloading supplies, a great assortment of RCBS dies, and a staff with a good knowledge of what they are selling. They are always ready to assist with special orders.
This will hurt the sportsmen in this area, very big loss  

edit to add, there is a VERY LARGE deer hunting industry in this area, along with Quail and Dove. A lot of people depend on this to make part of their living. It will hurt...
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#42]
That sound you hear is all the local shops cheering and raising their ammo prices.
If you think its not happening, you have obviously turned a deaf ear to all of them complaining about WalMart "squeezing them out" by selling ammo cheaper.

I feel especially sorry for the brothers and sisters in CA.
--First, make mail order ammo illegal -- local retailers only.
--Second: Stop large local retailers from selling ammo via social pressure to self-identify as 'virtuous' by stopping ammo sales.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In Florida, Rural King is the place to go for guns and ammo.
View Quote
You misspelled Gun Gallery Jacksonville
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The open carry thing is not shocking after what that idiot in MO did.
View Quote
Too true.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if WM has half a billion tied up in ammo inventory.
View Quote
Edit: Nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Won’t be long and online ammo sales will be illegal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#47]
After having read the press release I did something I rarely do, write a letter in response.

I am not one to normally write a letter about a policy change. I am a business owner and a Capitalist.
As such, I typically find it easier to simply change my purchasing habits when a company policy no longer suits my needs or desires.
I am making an exception today in response to your press release regarding your policy change about firearms.

For one of the largest companies in the world to release such a haphazard statement strikes me as a sign of poor leadership and worthless virtue signaling.
The use of terms like short-barrel rifle ammunition and large capacity clips shows ignorance on the subject you are opining upon.
I could forgive this if it weren't for later in the same message when you offer your services to other companies and the government as an expert due to your experience in selling firearms.

Since your corporation is now taking a political stance on 'assault weapons' and other measures with dubious effects on violent crime, I can no longer justify being a customer of your store.
And since my business is in selling items that have a much higher correlation to American deaths that dwarf the number lost every year to those from firearms, I am sure you do not want the income from my business purchases either.

While on this subject, I look forward to your company removing all alcohol from your stores to join me in this effort to save more American lives.
After all, the status quo is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Other than clearance deals from the big thread here on AR, I hardly shopped there. As for ammo, about the only thing I bought was bulk pack 22lr on occasion and birdshot unless it was a clearance deal.

They won't miss my business, I certainly won't miss shopping there....
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

How would anyone of us communicate directly with the CEO of Walmart unless we see him in the barbershop?
View Quote
https://m.facebook.com/dougmcmillon/

[email protected]

He needs to understand that the right to self defense is a basic human right not just a protected American right and that denying millions of law abiding people access to training and defensive ammunition is not going to curtail violence one iota...it’s actually going to hurt lower income families defensive access.

He’s only heard from one side of this issue this far, and they’re loud so be nice but get your point across.
Link Posted: 9/3/2019 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#50]
I guess it's time to go Prime with Target Sports.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top