Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 63
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Why am I forced to listen to some priest in New York ramble about this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A sad day indeed. See how sad these fellow Frenchmen are

https://i.imgur.com/i2ZeRgu.jpg
View Quote
Disposable human beings. We all know what needs to be done with that Neanderthal culture, but we're not allowed to say it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The people getting heated over the religious comments are equally bad or worse.

Please be kind and courteous if you are a Christian.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The people getting heated over the religious comments are equally bad or worse.

Please be kind and courteous if you are a Christian.
The anti-Christians don't get to antagonize Christians, and then criticize them for getting fed up.

I wish more Christians would start pushing back.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep seeing time 1840 referenced as the fire's start time. Is it the actual start time or just the moment smoke was first observed outside the cathedral? There's a difference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not an expert on fires, but I thought this would be out by now...
View Quote
We had a fire a few years back ago where an entire block of 150 year old three story buildings with joined walls was involved. Fire started in the basement of one building on a Sunday morning and burned half the day before anybody noticed. We were one of 8 departments there providing mutual aid and it took damn near two days to fully extinguish the buildings. Even though we had adequate hydrant coverage we were exhausting the water main supplies and had to establish a water shuttle to keep the aerials supplied. That’s the kind of fire that left unchecked can burn down a whole city.

Those French firefighters are going to be there all week.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would hazard a guess that tar is a part of whatever roofing was on the place. Judging by the scaffolding they were doing repairs to the roof.
Typically tar is stored in large, very hot vats.
Couldn't the failure of one of those vats (accidental or intentional) basically napalm the roof?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than the wood structure itself, what would act as an accelerant to make it burn so quickly as to be out of control?

Sacramental wine?

Beeswax candles?

Jihadist fire bomb?
Do you know how much wood was in there? And how old and dry it was? Just dropping a match here and there and walking away would have caused this. No accelerant needed.
I would hazard a guess that tar is a part of whatever roofing was on the place. Judging by the scaffolding they were doing repairs to the roof.
Couldn't the failure of one of those vats (accidental or intentional) basically napalm the roof?
The old cathedrals use lead sheet roofing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is worth seeing.

https://pic.twitter.com/OBANPl9Wpv
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is worth seeing.

https://pic.twitter.com/OBANPl9Wpv
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Drone shots just taken of the interior of the building from overhead;

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We're not insane, thanks.

We, along with the President are not experts. Everyone is just spitballing, because this is so horrific.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It will have to burn itself out. It's that intense.

All the folks calling for air drops are insane. Helicopters are great for spot fire suppression, but a few hundred gallons of water would evaporate before it even hit the ground. You might as well piss on it. Airtankers are fairly rare, highly specialized, and need lots of support. If they are nearby it can still take hours to plan, fill, and fly them to wildfires. Dumping one in the middle of a crowded city could collapse structures and kill people.

The best that can be hoped for is to keep the fire from spreading to other structures.
We're not insane, thanks.

We, along with the President are not experts. Everyone is just spitballing, because this is so horrific.
My bad. "Ignorant" is the word I should have used.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How many buildings in Paris?  This is the one that goes up?

we will see.

I am 70% convinced it was deliberate.  Destroying non-muslim religious places and artifacts is classic islam.
View Quote
That's crazy talk. It must have been construction. No other possible explanation. We haven't even started the investigation, but we can rule one thing out. Must be construction. Gotta be.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than the wood structure itself, what would act as an accelerant to make it burn so quickly as to be out of control?

Sacramental wine?

Beeswax candles?

Jihadist fire bomb?
Do you know how much wood was in there? And how old and dry it was? Just dropping a match here and there and walking away would have caused this. No accelerant needed.
Are they attached/sealed to one another with molten lead?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yep. Catholic relics are all suspect IMHO. But I'm not going to dispute the faithful, particularly if it teaches the saxon how to hate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you took all the supposed pieces of the cross there have been throughout history, you could rebuild Notre Dame with them.
Yep. Catholic relics are all suspect IMHO. But I'm not going to dispute the faithful, particularly if it teaches the saxon how to hate.
No, they aren't. Many relics (the acknowledged ones) have definite histories.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]
The French will grab every electronic communication in the past 24 hours.  Compare that to lists of known radicals.  
If it was terrorism, they'll have the bad guys identified within 48 hours or so.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What are the regular tour hours?
View Quote
They close at 1845.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Get on board loser. No one cares about facts, evidence, basic objectivity, the exercise of logic or common decency anymore. And worse, we all know the media is gonna LIE to us anyway. And if the outrage furthers the anti roper and anti immigrant narrative, why stop it?

This is Orwells 2 Minutes of hate at its best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you miss what went on over there the last 4 weeks or so?

Up to a dozen churches torched or vandalized per week.   This did not happen in a vacuum.

Timing between the fire and the last tour group to go through is a giant red flag.
Speculation, speculation, speculation.  As someone else posted, Occam's razor comes into play here.  We KNOW, just not just guessing, but KNOW, that the church was under renovation.  Buildings do happen to catch fire due to accidents during renovations.

So we have one fact supporting the "accident" theory. We have no facts supporting the ROP theory.

Conclusion - we don't have enough info.

But the endless posts blaming the ROPers doesn't do much except make us look like paranoid morons.  Don't get me wrong, I have zero love for ROPers, and I'm not saying its not possible they didn't do this.  But I'd like for at least SOME evidence before I point fingers.
Get on board loser. No one cares about facts, evidence, basic objectivity, the exercise of logic or common decency anymore. And worse, we all know the media is gonna LIE to us anyway. And if the outrage furthers the anti roper and anti immigrant narrative, why stop it?

Everybody is on the same page. This is what happens when you burn down the foundations of rationalism and objectivity and replace it with high emotional intelligence.  Identity politics is the coin of the realm. .  Pick a side.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#19]
A dumb ass workman started a similar fire that destroyed the New England version of Notre Dame in 1982.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_de_Lourdes_Church_
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Holy fuck.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was this drone photo already posted?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4OHvvTWwAINUJf.jpg
Holy fuck.  
That's about what I said. It really gives a different perspective.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol and what, exactly, is SWEDEN doing to fight radical Islam?

Actually...what has Sweden contributed to the world's stage in recent years in general? Can you even own an AR15?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like you guys did after Boston Marathon, Ft Hood, Orlando etc. etc.
Be fair. We started a war after 9/11.
A war that’s still ongoing.

Actually...what has Sweden contributed to the world's stage in recent years in general? Can you even own an AR15?
FUCK ... START YOUR OWN SWEDISH BUTTFUCKING THREAD. GET OUT OF THIS ONE.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Holy fuck.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck.  
Yeah, I didn't realize the extent of it until seeing that pic. It's a 100% total loss.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
DU RÄTTER INTE EN KRAP I DEN BLÅA CUPBOARDEN.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Job security for union stone masons for the next 1,000 years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was talking about group think in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up to a dozen churches torched or vandalized per week.   This did not happen in a vacuum.

Timing between the fire and the last tour group to go through is a giant red flag.
Speculation, speculation, speculation.  As someone else posted, Occam's razor comes into play here.  We KNOW, just not just guessing, but KNOW, that the church was under renovation.  Buildings do happen to catch fire due to accidents during renovations.

So we have one fact supporting the "accident" theory. We have no facts supporting the ROP theory.

But the endless posts blaming the ROPers doesn't do much except make us look like paranoid morons.  Don't get me wrong, I have zero love for ROPers, and I'm not saying its not possible they didn't do this.  But I'd like for at least SOME evidence before I point fingers.

Considering 1984 was a story about government tyranny, your metaphor is quite a stretch. Let me know when any Western government starts telling its citizens to blame Islam. Usually they tell the proles the exact opposite, Brave New World style.
That was your takeaway from 1984?

Criticizing the counterculture for groupthink when the dominant culture also engages in groupthink is rather meaningless.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Drone shot just taken of the interior of the building from overhead;

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/227373/3C471D9D-F95D-4313-8140-02E65A3CB358_jpeg-913602.JPG
View Quote
Anyone venture to guess the amount of heat inside the stone walls? Wow
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#27]
What a tragedy. Beautiful building that my family had the chance to visit a few times. A piece of history gone. I hope it was indeed an accident and not something worse.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There's lots of evidence that not as much information was lost there as previously thought. There were copies of most of that stuff throughout the Mediterranean.
View Quote
Disney World told me that on the Spaceship Earth ride!  
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm surprised it's still burning. I would think that the flammable stuff would have been consumed by now. Looks like it's still raging in the center where the spire once was.
View Quote
There are more than 21 hectares of trees in that building.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How many buildings in Paris?  This is the one that goes up?

we will see.

I am 70% convinced it was deliberate.  Destroying non-muslim religious places and artifacts is classic islam.
View Quote
In fairness if a building stands long enough the odds of it one day catching fire increase pretty dramatically. That said I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if this was another act of peace brought to The West by Allahs Messengers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yup.
Lots of folks here saying that they can rebuild it and today's artisans will be the ones to do it but in reality they may have an idea of how the thing was built but no one alive today world really have the skill and experience of what it takes to build this thing again.  They will need an army of such people.

View Quote
Had the chance to tour the Duomo di Milano in Italy, the cathedral was massive, hard to appreciate unless you are standing inside it.  The woodwork and masonry was incredible, knowing it was all done by hand was hard to imagine.  I think they said it took 400 years to build the cathedral in Milan and all it's surrounding buildings.

Notre Dame took 200 years to build.  It's hard for us to fathom that generations of craftsmen worked on those cathedrals.  People literally worked their entire lives and never saw the completed building.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, that's legitimately terrifying.

Now I get why French authorities are saying they might not be able to save it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unbelievable
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you have a stroke or something?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:43:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

My heart hurts seeing that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hadn't seen it yet, pretty incredible. looks like the stone vaulting of the roof has not collapsed yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Everybody is on the same page. This is what happens when you burn down the foundations of rationalism and objectivity and replace it with high emotional intelligence.  Identity politics is the coin of the realm. .  Pick a side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

13'ers always pick the wrong sides.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Holy fuck.  
View Quote
It's going to be gutted.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Holy fuck.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy fuck.  
Yeah...

Wow...
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
How many times has it borne out. What's GD's batting average?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Holy fuck.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Drone shot just taken of the interior of the building from overhead;

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/227373/3C471D9D-F95D-4313-8140-02E65A3CB358_jpeg-913602.JPG
View Quote
My god.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't that a sweedish proverb, you just took a crap in the cupboard, as in you really did it this time? fuck muh google translate sucks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah, I didn't realize the extent of it until seeing that pic. It's a 100% total loss.
View Quote
It will be when the towers fall.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Not buying the workman thing. They have worked on it in the past.

I putting my money on diversity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's good.  I'm sure many pieces were able to be saved in the time they had.  Of course, many amazing treasures were part of the structure itself or too large to move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
News story just reported that many paintings and pieces of artwork WERE in fact removed and saved.  (I think it was an interview with the deputy mayor of Paris).
That's good.  I'm sure many pieces were able to be saved in the time they had.  Of course, many amazing treasures were part of the structure itself or too large to move.
Thank God for small favors.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sacramental wine?

Beeswax candles?

Jihadist fire bomb?
not sure . I thought soldered
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#50]
This loss is incalculable.
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top