Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It was OK though I would have liked a lot more back-story.

So Lord of the Rings was real?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Social commentary.
View Quote
So was it basically saying that it will take the existence of orcs for black people to no longer be the bottom rung? Is that it?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought it was good entertainment.

I also really wanted to see more on a back story.  They might have been better off doing this as a series rather than a movie format.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So was it basically saying that it will take the existence of orcs for black people to no longer be the bottom rung? Is that it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Social commentary.
Racism and classism. In Bright's world, orcs are at the bottom because they sided with an evil being over 2000 years ago. So, a lot of humans don't like orcs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Since when are Orcs considered aliens?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I was entertained by it. Wasn't great but wasn't that horrible either.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Will Smith is a cunt.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I liked it, could have done without Will Smith.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#9]
It was good. IDK what the critics are on about.

IMO it might have had TOO much of a good thing (action).  I could've had a little more delving into the setting/ characters but more than likely having 13 episodes would've turned it into a snooze fest.

Probably better, and for good reason it leaves you wanting to know/see more.

Anyone triggered by "SJW rhetoric" is only seeing what they want to.

Some of the white cops were bad, the Indian and Korean IA guys were pieces of shit right along with the female/ Asian/ Sarg and Will Smith himself didn't even like the Orcs. O yeah, and Mexicans too.

And even the Orcs understood why it was that way because they fucking deserved it for what they did and who they (most of the time) were.

IMO they were not analogous for any one race of people in our real world.

This was just a gangster/fantasy/ cop story that was at least different from everything else out there right now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wasnt this already done? Remember Alien Nation?
View Quote
There are no original thinkers in Hollywood, Hell, even Star Was was an adaptation of the Arthur legends.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Everything's fine... Just crypwalk your asses back over there..."

View Quote
Loved that line
Still haven't finished it. Made it to the part where the bad chick kills the swat team exiting the strip club
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I also really wanted to see more on a back story.  They might have been better off doing this as a series rather than a movie format.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think LOTR was basically the back story.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#13]
"BRIGHT, new alien show on Netflix featuring Will Smith"

Screw that commie icehole. Between that icehole Smith and the previous Netflix crap/BS Fake News documentary that was trying to get the murderer off the hook for murdering the news reporter and burning her body to get rid of the evidence, Netflix sucks!

Anyway, hasn't this been done before?

Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought the weapons room in the wand house was interesting. barrett .50, pile of 80% lowers, explosives, claymores, etc...

my thoughts.... I'm sick of the SJW shit.. this was basically, lets have a green guy, and make everyone racist against him..... except for the black cop... the black cop doesn't like him because he thought he betrayed him.... all the white cops hated the green guy cause he was green...  then we had orc BLM shit.....

I would have liked it a LOT more if they didn't try to make the orcs be like hoodrats...  id have enjoyed it more had the races been a little more separate.. humans, vs elves, orcs etc... vs making orcs hoodrats/Mexican thug types.

it was ok to watch.... I just have a hardtime not getting pissed off at all the SJW crap that's smeared into everything today.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmm.. Finally saw it and didn't think it was as bad as I heard. Some of the concepts and back stories with the world building is interesting. But, I think they need a new director since the way the plot is laid out is really messy. It very much reminded me of suicide squad.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The show sounds stupid to me
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It was good. IDK what the critics are on about.

IMO it might have had TOO much of a good thing (action).  I could've had a little more delving into the setting/ characters but more than likely having 13 episodes would've turned it into a snooze fest.

Probably better, and for good reason it leaves you wanting to know/see more.

Anyone triggered by "SJW rhetoric" is only seeing what they want to.

Some of the white cops were bad, the Indian and Korean IA guys were pieces of shit right along with the female/ Asian/ Sarg and Will Smith himself didn't even like the Orcs. O yeah, and Mexicans too.

And even the Orcs understood why it was that way because they fucking deserved it for what they did and who they (most of the time) were.

IMO they were not analogous for any one race of people in our real world.

This was just a gangster/fantasy/ cop story that was at least different from everything else out there right now.
View Quote
No, no, no! Don't you see? The elves are evil rich white people and the orc are poor downtrodden black people. Let your inner SJW change the way you see everything!
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hmm.. Finally saw it and didn't think it was as bad as I heard. Some of the concepts and back stories with the world building is interesting. But, I think they need a new director since the way the plot is laid out is really messy. It very much reminded me of suicide squad.
View Quote
I’m about a third through and it’s pretty well done and entertaining so far.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I saw it and liked it.

For people who don't know the same people who did end of watch and suicide squad were involved in this.

In that way it has the same feel.

I liked that will smith didn't feel like the character he always plays but in a way it was the same.

He's obviously a jackass but deep down a decent person but also much more flawed than similar stuff (bad boys, and suicide squad).

The orc dynamic was interesting because even though you felt they were going for the whole orc = black it doesn't translate that way.

The orcs are obviously stronger than humans but not insanely so.  They have a culture that revolves around violence but not in the incomprehensible fashion real human cultures do.

They feel more like eastern Europeans who were Muslims and Nazi's in WWII.

The wand and bright parts also felt more real than in normal stories like this.  People understand the power of Magic and react in a way that they understand how life changing it is.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was decent.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The 5-second teaser looked interesting.  I watched the trailers, and decided I'm OK not having SJW shoved down my throat at every opportunity, especially given that the plot looked awful and acting weak.
View Quote
Someone should build you a hut for your feels
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Just finished it .

It was ok, worth watching.

Some funny lines...

"We are not in a prophecy...."
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Alien Nation reboot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Loved that line
Still haven't finished it.  it to the part where the bad chick kills the swat team exiting the strip clubMade
View Quote
That scene was actually probably my only real gripe.  "Hey, we have weapons

that have ranges measured in hundreds of meters.  Let's just all run into melee

range against the little white haired ninja chick, so she can kill us all in the

cliched martial arts>guns B.S. scene".

Other than that, I thought it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

range against the little white haired ninja chick, so she can kill us all in the

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loved that line
Still haven't finished it.  it to the part where the bad chick kills the swat team exiting the strip clubMade

That was my main beef with John Wick especially the second one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Man that sucked.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Rap music still alive and well in the future. I am disappoint. Not into anything Will Smith related anymore since him and his family have shown us how full tilt nuts they are but I'll probably check out an episode or two.
View Quote
It’s not the future.  It’s an alternative present.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Technically; the evil elves (Inferni--or whatever) had bullet resistance to a point.
Just not explosives.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Shadowrun. It’s based on Shadowrun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoyed it until the end where the Lord of the Rings shit took it to another level...good flick.
It had some Training Day scenes in there also....not to mention one of the actors from training day.
Cle Sloan:
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Technically; the evil elves (Inferni--or whatever) had bullet resistance to a point.
Just not explosives.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just not explosives.  
Quoth Sylvan, "The fight isn't over until their brains are on the ground."
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Except Shadowrun is interesting, and can make social commentary without sounding self important or smug.  This looks, disappointing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
With Sam Francisco?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don’t remember Mick Jagger being in that.
View Quote
James Caan and Mandy Patinkin
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Watching it now. Almost done. It’s pretty legit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I thought it was good, and a great example of soft sci-fi.

The comments here are not surprising, a lot of people missed that while it's a social commentary, it's doing it in a way that is the antithesis of social justice, it's using humor and projecting racial bias onto discussable "races" in a way that can be laughed at and criticized.

Remember how Blazzing Saddles is racist as FUCK, but it keeps people laughing for decades? "Social justice" warriors can't let shit like that be laughed at because it brings people together instead of wedging them apart.

It's sad that a somewhat mundane movie like this is almost "edgy" today.

Besides all that if nothing else it was a pretty rad buddy cop movie.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Really good movie.

Wish it was a series...
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Just finished it. Thought it was going to be stupid actually really fucking enjoyed it!

Reminded me of Hellboy

I would love if they made follow ups/series
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:26:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Goddamit I'm going to have to watch this.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:33:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t remember Mick Jagger being in that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I thought it was good, and a great example of soft sci-fi.

The comments here are not surprising, a lot of people missed that while it's a social commentary, it's doing it in a way that is the antithesis of social justice, it's using humor and projecting racial bias onto discussable "races" in a way that can be laughed at and criticized.

Remember how Blazzing Saddles is racist as FUCK, but it keeps people laughing for decades? "Social justice" warriors can't let shit like that be laughed at because it brings people together instead of wedging them apart.

It's sad that a somewhat mundane movie like this is almost "edgy" today.

Besides all that if nothing else it was a pretty rad buddy cop movie.
View Quote
For me, it’s gotten to the point that I look for reviews from both extremes of the domestic political internet, the right wing outrage generation sites that feed much of GD, and the left wing SJW crap.

When both complain about the politics of the show going against their sense of PC, I figure the writers just might be on to something worth watching. Seems to be the case with this one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:46:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Just finished watching it, I liked it.

Anyone else catch the raw 80% lowers on the table?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For me, it’s gotten to the point that I look for reviews from both extremes of the domestic political internet, the right wing outrage generation sites that feed much of GD, and the left wing SJW crap.

When both complain about the politics of the show going against their sense of PC, I figure the writers just might be on to something worth watching. Seems to be the case with this one.
View Quote
Instead of wasting time with all of that, why not just try watching something and seeing if you like it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it until the end where the Lord of the Rings shit took it to another level...good flick.
It had some Training Day scenes in there also....not to mention one of the actors from training day.
Cle Sloan:
http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/wpgo/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/cle-sloan-pic-4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cle Sloan:
http://dailyentertainmentnews.com/wpgo/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/cle-sloan-pic-4.jpg
They have David Ayer in common

As well as Street Kings, Harsh Times, The Fast and the Furious, Sabotage.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Except Shadowrun is interesting, and can make social commentary without sounding self important or smug.  This looks, disappointing.
View Quote
Shadowrun would be way better.  Especially if it was filmed in a manner similar to Blade Runner or other 80's style sci-fi.  Add a touch of Ghost in the Shell and LotR.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#45]
It's written by the son of John Landis (Blues Bros, Animal House, AWWIL, Spies Like Us)
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Instead of wasting time with all of that, why not just try watching something and seeing if you like it?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me, it's gotten to the point that I look for reviews from both extremes of the domestic political internet, the right wing outrage generation sites that feed much of GD, and the left wing SJW crap.

Data collection pushing farther investment with modern streaming services.

Same reason to not go see movies where screaming libtard anti-gun/ anti-2a hollywood stars make money off violent gun use.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Am I the only one that didn't automatically equate color to races, but cultural concepts, and in a way tons of them are interchangeable an overlap?

I.E. The Orcs are easily stand ins for ghetto blacks... Especially with the hoddies and Rodney king style beating* but they are also looked down upon for "making the wrong choice 2000 years ago" when it came supporting a powerful being. So you could stand them in with basically any persecuted religion.

People instantly equate the Elves with white people... yet, it's stated they're the rich power players in LA with all the money.  First trope I thought of was "the jews that run Hollywood"... not "white people".

*The Centaur cop had me cracking the fuck up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:03:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Guess Ill give it a try...
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Also... kind a a spoiler alert, but a key element of the show and is evidence it's not just some SJW BS;

The movie depicts events that begin to close the gap between race relations, and close the gap between minority and police relations in the world the story takes place in.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:20:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Also... kind a a spoiler alert, but a key element of the show and is evidence it's not just some SJW BS;

The movie depicts events that begin to close the gap between race relations, and close the gap between minority and police relations in the world the story takes place in.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top