Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably bankruptcies due to medical expenses. Very common.
View Quote
I was told that you cannot do that anymore
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not much going on with Gen X?   Must be too busy working.
View Quote
Truth
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate to say this but I know several people who have hit retirement age that decided that the best way to they can go into their retirement is declare bankruptcy and get rid of all their bills. I was told by bankruptcy lawyer one time that more people over 60  file for bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Millenials are living with their parents and a higher percentage of boomers are bankrupt. Millenials don't want to work and boomers spent too much or didn't earn enough. At least the boomers worked.
View Quote
Lol, all these crocodile tears and excuses would dry up in a second if this thread showed muhllenials increasingly going bankrupt. 50x "shunt have gotten da underwater basketball degree in being a pussy"

Ultimate excuse makers
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to declare bankruptcy? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like that to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought. What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I still can't believe that some old folks don't carry supplement insurance.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as many non old folks are to dumb to carry disability insurance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I knew a few like that. Mostly due to medical bills from a deceased spouse.

All those here throwing rocks.....I hope you live forever.
I still can't believe that some old folks don't carry supplement insurance.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised as many non old folks are to dumb to carry disability insurance.
I wonder what the average Medi-gap per-month costs are now?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The cost of the radaiton was shown at $1000 per minute. It's probably up to $1700 a minute this year.
View Quote
When I'm terminal, I may just end up paying with my life. I'd rather leave some money/assets to my family instead of running in futility from the Grim Reaper.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Did anyone actually look at the numbers on the charts  

Baby boomers aren't the worst.

Numbers, how do they work
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:30:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
at a higher rate than old folks of yesteryear

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/05/business/bankruptcy-older-americans.html

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/265139/boomer_menace-631401.JPG
Not only are more older people seeking relief through bankruptcy, but they also represent a widening slice of all filers: 12.2 percent of filers are now 65 or older, up from 2.1 percent in 1991.

The jump is so pronounced, the study says, that the aging of the baby boom generation cannot explain it.
View Quote
Lots of interesting data at the link

What's coming down the pike?
View Quote
   I would think its due to medical bills for the most part Not what you youts are foaming at the mouth about.. and if you kids don't like it go back in time and take my place in Vietnam and I'll take your place here.. but wait a minute then which one of us is really typing this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Let the hate flow through you!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A large percentage of the population have poor money management skills. I also imagine many of these people got forced out decent jobs during the last recession and never recovered from it.  Then there's medical bills and the huge cost of insurance due to O care that they never planned on.
View Quote
I saw that with older folks in my own family.    Pre boomers,  one had a start in a retirement plan at work but the company president died and their plan was not enough to pay his death benefit.  So they ended the plan and had the people  transfer their contributed money into their personal IRAs.  It was a big set back.  Add in paying mooch kid’s bills, several vacations each year.  Giant Christmas bills despite a low retired income.  Yea.  Not good looking by term
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:37:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Just for reference, there are 2 kinds of individual bankruptcies: liquidation (chapter 7) and reorganization (chapter 13)

In a chapter 13, the debtor goes on a court approved repayment plan where the creditors get repaid through the debtor's earnings.

In chapter 7, the debtor's debts are liquidated.

Generally speaking, In either case, secured creditors who loaned on the basis of collateral will get either the collateral or the value of the collateral back.

My point? It isn't quite the free for all for the debtor that a lot of you think it is
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep, GenX generation is best generation!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love baby boomer and millennial threads.

This one will be juicy.
You should look at gen X on the chart
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Good.  Eat dog food.   You started this swirling vat of shit we live in.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Idjits who overspent, bought into the BS that housing prices will always climb and that they can use their homes as a piggy bank for equity loans to fund the lifetstyle they deserve.

No sympathy for them.  I live below my means.  Being raised poor does that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Medical Bankruptcy Facts

One reason why the estimates are so different is that they were done in different years. Those years were following the Great Recession. As a result, bankruptcy rates of all kinds skyrocketed. Consumer bankruptcies rose from 822,590 in 2007 to 1.5 million in 2010. Since then, they've fallen to 770,846 in 2016.

That's one reason why President Obama's estimate is so high. In 2009, there were 1.4 million bankruptcies. Obama based his calculation on a 2009 Harvard study coauthored by his Assistant, Elizabeth Warren. It said 62.1 percent of all bankruptcies were because of medical bills. The researchers interviewed those who filed for bankruptcy between January and April 2007. It defined medical causes as those to include those mortgaged a home to pay medical bills. It also included those who had medical bills greater than $1,000 or lost at least two weeks of work due to illness.

Several scientists criticized the researchers for being too broad in including those last two reasons.

Even so, Obama's calculations were a little high. Multiply 1.4 million bankruptcies by the Harvard study's 62.1 percent, and you get 877,372 bankruptcies created by medical bills.

https://www.thebalance.com/medical-bankruptcy-statistics-4154729
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one will be juicy.
Slow morning for Troll material ?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some of you people eat derp  for breakfast, lunch and supper.    Some spent like there was no tomorrow, Some never saved a dime.  Some saved their kids from everything. Some saved but medical will eat through just about anything if you survive long enough.  Last and maybe least some saved enough and are blessed with good health.   My wife went through chemo and radiation 2 years ago.  The cost of the radaiton was shown at $1000 per minute.  I dont give a shit who you are and how well you plan, but you can't plan for that.  It's probablyup to $1700 a minute this year.  Had it not been for insurance it would have put a hell of a crimp on our finances and it was none to comfortable as it was.  Of course most of ARF uses C notes for toilet paper. Continue on .
View Quote
A fair number of the Boomers I know are also living paycheck to paycheck because they had to take care of elderly parents that had medical bills or they didn’t want them to end up in some skid row nursing home. Poor financial planning maybe but I understand the sense of obligation and not wanting to see your elderly parents shuttered in some subpar nursing home.

No insult intended to those who had to make the hard decision of putting their parents in a nursing facility. We had to do that with a MIL before she burnt our house down.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I wonder what the average Medi-gap per-month costs are now?
View Quote
Not sure of the average but my plan G supplement through Transamerica Insurance is $126.16 a month.
Plan D drug coverage through Express-Scripts is $22.60 a month.
I can easily afford it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some of you people eat derp  for breakfast, lunch and supper.    Some spent like there was no tomorrow, Some never saved a dime.  Some saved their kids from everything. Some saved but medical will eat through just about anything if you survive long enough.  Last and maybe least some saved enough and are blessed with good health.   My wife went through chemo and radiation 2 years ago.  The cost of the radaiton was shown at $1000 per minute.  I dont give a shit who you are and how well you plan, but you can't plan for that.  It's probablyup to $1700 a minute this year.  Had it not been for insurance it would have put a hell of a crimp on our finances and it was none to comfortable as it was.  Of course most of ARF uses C notes for toilet paper. Continue on .
View Quote
I had cancer.  I also had decent insurance.  My OOP max is 4K.  Total bills were over $100k.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Imagine that. Boomers can’t manage money
View Quote
Cease fire, target destroyed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#23]
If you didn’t notice, there was a pretty rough 8-10 year period not too long ago.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Lol. Youger generations butthurt because they aren't special and no one left them a trophy.Who cares. Quit whining and get to work.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#25]
All of this needs to be looked at in a case by case situation.

My parents were cops in New Jersey.  My father passed away three years ago at 87 and my mother is now 84 years old.   They had their pension checks and S.S. and what they had saved in normal savings accounts and bank CD's.   They never invested in the stock market, even though my mom was the person who taught me how to read the stock listings in the newspaper.

My father had a very easy going attitude about money, he had what he had and never cared too much to make any more.  He was a disabled vet but never went back to the VA to get more money out of them, he never looked into longterm care insurance.

When they sold their home, they moved into an assisted living complex, he shortly ended up in skilled nursing due to his health.  The cost was $7,000 a month.  Dad lasted there for close to one year, it drained their savings and took a bit hit on their net worth.

Now my mom is doing ok due to their pensions but if she ends up a skilled nursing situation,  she will be destroyed in the financial sense.

Overall,  each case has to be looked at one by one.  There are too many factors out there.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My moms about to declare bankruptcy. Her house is worth about 40k, she owes 63 on it. She has no savings and lives on 1100 a month SS. She has cancer and a host of other medical issues. She is moving in with my wife and I as living with my sister has turned into a nightmare.

She had no plan for retirement other than SS. None, nada, nothing.
View Quote
Taking care of my mom for the last 4-5 years, basically same situation. Even down to the 25k underwater on 'her house' (had to explain to her its the banks house at that point).
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#27]
How the hell are boomers going bankrupt from medical bills when they have Medicare? Over 15% of the federal budget is now untouchable spending specifically to give them free healthcare. Every politician is terrified to talk about cutting it because the boomers will vote out whoever doesn't send them their welfare.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Taking care of my mom for the last 4-5 years, basically same situation. Even down to the 25k underwater on 'her house' (had to explain to her its the banks house at that point).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My moms about to declare bankruptcy. Her house is worth about 40k, she owes 63 on it. She has no savings and lives on 1100 a month SS. She has cancer and a host of other medical issues. She is moving in with my wife and I as living with my sister has turned into a nightmare.

I told her she can't ever break even on it. She finally accepted that's that and agreed to walk away from it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I had a neighbor that was financially devastated when her husband was diagnosed with cancer.

They lived, worked, and retired in OK.  He worked in the trades and saved, she stayed home to raise the kids.

When it was found that he had cancer, they moved to Boise for treatment.  The hospital bills wiped out their life savings in a very short time.  He died, and now she lives on $900.00 / month SS.  That’s it.

Sad.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I told her she can't ever break even on it. She finally accepted that's that and agreed to walk away from it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I showed mine a bunch of other houses that were selling for what she owed and had been paying on for years and she agreed they were way better than hers and then it slowly started clicking. She ended up walking away too finally.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How the hell are boomers going bankrupt from medical bills when they have Medicare? Over 15% of the federal budget is now untouchable spending specifically to give them free healthcare. Every politician is terrified to talk about cutting it because the boomers will vote out whoever doesn't send them their welfare.
View Quote
Had a distant relative that passed away last year.  She was around 70 years old, and left her family with $100K+ in medical bills.  
She was eligible, but for some reason, she never signed up for Medicare.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Medicare covers 80%. You get a million dollar cancer bill (easy to do with chemo and radiation), and you owe $200,000.00 out of pocket.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Medicare covers 80%. You get a million dollar cancer bill (easy to do with chemo and radiation), and you owe $200,000.00 out of pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe people should get real insurance with predefined OOP maxes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lol. Youger generations butthurt because they aren't special and no one left them a trophy.Who cares. Quit whining and get to work.
View Quote
work harder, amirite?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Uh.....not how that works.  Your bills don't just get passed to relatives when you die.

Quoted:

Had a distant relative that passed away last year.  She was around 70 years old, and left her family with $100K+ in medical bills.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Boomers didn’t go through a Great Depression like that of their parents. Therefore, they largely have no concept of how to manage money when things go wrong.
View Quote

Total US debt doubled under the baby boomers. Now that they are dying off debt is unsurprisingly beginning to decrease.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Who said it was free?most I know are paying for it out of SS.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Truth
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not much going on with Gen X?   Must be too busy working.
Truth
If we are doing stereotypes, Xers are just too busy shooting smack.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#39]
People with shitty / no retirement who have lots of bills. Not surprising when everyone thinks they DESERVE new cars every other year, New phones, eat out constantly etc.

My woman works with a old heifer a year from retirement, her and her kids are all  sjw's etc.  she gives her adult kids money all the time, cosigns on their loans, etc. She just bought a new car for herself.  and recently moved from a apartment into a $200k house she just bought on a 30 year loan. Planning on her kids living with her and caring for her. Kids said they are only going to live with her for another year max, then moving across country.   She either won't be retiring, or she will be selling shit / bankruptcy on a bunch of shit .
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This one will be juicy.
View Quote
Yeah, but it has been so long since we had a boomer thread I can't remember which side I'm on this time- KILL THE BOOMERS AND TAKE THEIR SHIT! or

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My MIL is on Medicare. It doesn't pay all that much. You need a gap type policy in addition.  Go and see what kind of long term care facility you get with just Medicare. Most kennels are better.
View Quote
Which is why a AARP endorse Obamacare why because they got to add a supplemental insurance they did it for their bottom line and to promote Obama socialistic ideology
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most I know pay for supplement insurance to cover the rest.

You know like responsible young people having short and long term disability.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:15:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Uh.....not how that works.  Your bills don't just get passed to relatives when you die.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He likely means to the estate, many get confused by this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

When I'm terminal, I may just end up paying with my life. I'd rather leave some money/assets to my family instead of running in futility from the Grim Reaper.
View Quote
Honestly, most of America would be better off with the decision to go to palliative vs. heroic care after certain points in life. The issue I hear ER and other doctors with large elderly populations is keeping people alive at great expense vs. simply letting go.

Like most things, easy to say, harder to do on multiple levels.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one will be juicy.
Post it!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to go with this.
Medical Expenses is the most likely cause of bankruptcy in the USA.

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Post it!
View Quote
It's been in the OP
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Honestly, most of America would be better off with the decision to go to palliative vs. heroic care after certain points in life. The issue I hear ER and other doctors with large elderly populations is keeping people alive at great expense vs. simply letting go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda easy to say when you’re not the one laying there dying.
I just hit 60 so this is soon to be me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Kinda easy to say when you’re not the one laying there dying.
I just hit 60 so this is soon to be me.
View Quote
Dealing with elderly relatives, most of them have made their peace with the fact they are towards their final laps around the sun.

From reporting, it seems to be relatives who end up making medical decisions over an unconscious relative after a massive stroke who are at a loss of what to do other than expending all medical options.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top