Quoted:
Imagine that. Boomers can't manage money
View Quote
Fuckin' wizardry.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To be fair many employers didn’t offer 401k until relatively recently.
My Dad retired in 1992. His employer never offered them.

Medical expenses are a stone cold bitch. These sink a lot of people.
View Quote
Exactly. Deferred comp plans, IRAs, etc are all fairly recent things in terms of retirement planning.
When I was younger I couldn't even join the state retirement system because I didn't meet the minimum work requirements in place at the time.
As a 16-20 year old my only available planning options were personal savings accounts and savings bonds.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How the hell are boomers going bankrupt from medical bills when they have Medicare? Over 15% of the federal budget is now untouchable spending specifically to give them free healthcare. Every politician is terrified to talk about cutting it because the boomers will vote out whoever doesn't send them their welfare.
View Quote
Medicare only kicks in after you exhaust your assets.  Many boomers were too stupid to protect their assets with trusts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Hopefully, they'll learn some economic lessons and it will help them make more realistic choices concerning debt and lifestyle choices.

Can't discharge student loans to bankruptcy so that's a plus.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

work harder, amirite?
View Quote
That's how you get ahead.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:36:49 PM EDT
[#6]
So let me get this straight... The Boomer generation saddles millennials with crippling student loan debt, makes it illegal to declare bankruptcy on this debt, then declares bankruptcy themselves?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#7]
One guess

People are living longer and are not financially prepared.

Sell everything off, declaring bankruptcy and then become ward of the state for free healthcare and a place to stay.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's been in the OP
View Quote
34-44 ( my group) is down 40% and the next GenX group is basically flat at -2%.  Looks like we're doing pretty good to me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't know if I agree with that. They spent the last 50 years working, paying into crap they were forced to pay into just so corrupt assholes could raid the piggy bank with no consequences. Now they want their money. I'd want my money too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They helped to bankrupt the Country, now they want even more free-rides...
I don't know if I agree with that. They spent the last 50 years working, paying into crap they were forced to pay into just so corrupt assholes could raid the piggy bank with no consequences. Now they want their money. I'd want my money too.
FDR, who probably advanced liberal policies into entitlements more than any other president was born in 1882.  This preceded what is being called "the lost generation" starting in 1890.

Most politicians that contributed to the bankruptcy that FDR started, that il-informed Arfcommers perhaps like the person you replied to, belong to either the greatest generation (born in 1910 to 1924) or the silent generation (1924 to 1945). Il-informed Arfcommers perhaps like the person you replied to, mistakenly believe these are baby boomers.  However, when I look at Fineswine or pictures of the Kennedys, I don't see how anyone can make that mistake.

All of the devastating programs that are bankrupting the nation, with one exception, were put in place well before baby boomers grew up to hold office. The one exception is Obamacare.  However, the common link of being a democrat program remains intact.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]
To all you baby boomer haters, when you are older some of you will be going thru the same things and there will be those on here that will blast you for not planing.
Shit happens to people thru no fault of their own, of course some just don't plan, so why don't you just worry about you and stop blaming others for your shortcomings.
For me, I am a boomer, have always worked hard and lived a modest life compared to some.
I have saved enough and should be able to live a descent retirement in a few years as long as I live within my means, most of us will never have enough, I won't.
The best thing about this is I'm in countdown mode, 10 more fucking house payment to go then it's paid for, might even pay it off now.
So enjoy your house payment for those that have one and work hard to pay my SS & medicare because I plan to live to over 100 yrs old just to piss you off.
Every time you see those deductions on your pay stub I will be laughing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Exactly. Deferred comp plans, IRAs, etc are all fairly recent things in terms of retirement planning.
When I was younger I couldn't even join the state retirement system because I didn't meet the minimum work requirements in place at the time.
As a 16-20 year old my only available planning options were personal savings accounts and savings bonds.
View Quote
The founder of the 401k regrets it now and says that 401k's were never meant to serve as a main means of retirement. He says it was a huge monster and will make many people poor in old age.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So let me get this straight... The Boomer generation saddles millennials with crippling student loan debt, makes it illegal to declare bankruptcy on this debt, then declares bankruptcy themselves?
View Quote
Student loan debt is not forced on anyone, many are tired of hearing about the crippling debt on these junk degrees.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

34-44 ( my group) is down 40% and the next GenX group is basically flat at -2%.  Looks like we're doing pretty good to me.
View Quote
Still a higher rate of bankruptcy than those rotten no good muhllenials. Getting beat by that sorry bunch, woof
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Student loan debt is not forced on anyone, many are tired of hearing about the crippling debt on these junk degrees.
View Quote
Neither is medical debt.  You don't have to go to see a doctor if you are sick.  Just let nature take it's course.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's philosophical bullshit.

If you want to participate in the economy and have a future, pass this gate and you're set. That's the message the boomers put out, and now they're blaming the kids for obeying their elders.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Neither is medical debt.  You don't have to go to see a doctor if you are sick.  Just let nature take it's course.
View Quote
Terms are in place on both of those debts, read before signing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you want to participate in the economy and have a future, pass this gate and you're set. That's the message the boomers put out, and now they're blaming the kids for obeying their elders.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not even close to being a boomer and this college for all mantra is BS.

Also no one forced anyone to take these loans on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:09:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kinda easy to say when you’re not the one laying there dying.
I just hit 60 so this is soon to be me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I'm terminal, I may just end up paying with my life. I'd rather leave some money/assets to my family instead of running in futility from the Grim Reaper.
Honestly, most of America would be better off with the decision to go to palliative vs. heroic care after certain points in life. The issue I hear ER and other doctors with large elderly populations is keeping people alive at great expense vs. simply letting go.

Like most things, easy to say, harder to do on multiple levels.
Kinda easy to say when you’re not the one laying there dying.
I just hit 60 so this is soon to be me.
I'm 47 and have been dealing with stage 4 cancer for going on 5 years now. And I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously considering palliative care. The cancer isn't taking its toll as much as the medical bills are. I'd like to ensure that my wife has something left behind.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
In before - it's the Millenial's fault.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I apologize to all the millenials I picked on in my first post. I got tired of the boomers being blamed for the country's financial problems. Two wrongs don't make a right and all that. All the money problems different people have is often unpredictable and sometimes unavoidable. No generation has a monopoly on stupidity either.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Still a higher rate of bankruptcy than those rotten no good muhllenials. Getting beat by that sorry bunch, woof
View Quote
They haven't had enough time to declare bankruptcy, they're still accumulating debt they won't pay back.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
God help the boomer that lives in CA or FL...prepare for the Arfcom deluge of vitriol
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
The provision which generally denied a discharge for student loans was passed in 1976.

You'll probably be surprised to learn that the "boomers" weren't running the government (or much of anything else) 30 years after the oldest of them were born.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To all you baby boomer haters, when you are older some of you will be going thru the same things and there will be those on here that will blast you for not planing.
Shit happens to people thru no fault of their own, of course some just don't plan, so why don't you just worry about you and stop blaming others for your shortcomings.
For me, I am a boomer, have always worked hard and lived a modest life compared to some.
I have saved enough and should be able to live a descent retirement in a few years as long as I live within my means, most of us will never have enough, I won't.
The best thing about this is I'm in countdown mode, 10 more fucking house payment to go then it's paid for, might even pay it off now.
So enjoy your house payment for those that have one and work hard to pay my SS & medicare because I plan to live to over 100 yrs old just to piss you off.
Every time you see those deductions on your pay stub I will be laughing.
View Quote
Boomer confirmed, you type this in between sips of monster energy?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Medicare only kicks in after you exhaust your assets.  Many boomers were too stupid to protect their assets with trusts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How the hell are boomers going bankrupt from medical bills when they have Medicare? Over 15% of the federal budget is now untouchable spending specifically to give them free healthcare. Every politician is terrified to talk about cutting it because the boomers will vote out whoever doesn't send them their welfare.
Do you mean Medicaid?

Medicare is not dependent on a person's assets.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Lucky for me I get to rot in the VA
I got no kin left son died on active duty years ago & I never remarried, & we didn't come over until 1903 so its just me

Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#27]
You should not be declaring bankruptcy ... you paid for college with your summer job!!!

Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lucky for me I get to rot in the VA
I got no kin left son died on active duty years ago & I never remarried, & we didn't come over until 1903 so its just me

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Uh.....not how that works.  Your bills don't just get passed to relatives when you die.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Uh.....not how that works.  Your bills don't just get passed to relatives when you die.

Quoted:

Had a distant relative that passed away last year.  She was around 70 years old, and left her family with $100K+ in medical bills.  
She was eligible, but for some reason, she never signed up for Medicare.  
Actually, it will work exactly like that in this case.  The bills will be taken from her estate.  Therefore her family will pay those $100k+ medical bills.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Actually, it will work exactly like that in this case.  The bills will be taken from her estate.  Therefore her family will pay those $100k+ medical bills.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Had a distant relative that passed away last year.  She was around 70 years old, and left her family with $100K+ in medical bills.  
They will come from HER estate, the family members will not pay these bills from THEIR estates. If her estate does not cover the expenses the family does not pay for the bills out of pocket.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They haven't had enough time to declare bankruptcy, they're still accumulating debt they won't pay back.  
View Quote
We'll see

For now

SCOREBOARD, OLD MAN
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We'll see

For now

SCOREBOARD, OLD MAN
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We'll see

For now

SCOREBOARD, OLD MAN
If millennial's ever move out of moms basement then that scoreboard will likely change lots
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Millenials are living with their parents and a higher percentage of boomers are bankrupt. Millenials don't want to work and boomers spent too much or didn't earn enough. At least the boomers worked.
View Quote
I've had a job and paid taxes since I was 15, a large period of which was fighting in a war caused by a bunch of baby boomer draft dodgers. quit generalizing.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably bankruptcies due to medical expenses. Very common.
I'm going to go with this.
Yep
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Hopefully, they'll learn some economic lessons and it will help them make more realistic choices concerning debt and lifestyle choices.
View Quote
Its too late

They have voted for decades for policies that have hamstrung everyone with endless debt

Time to cut off the safety net. Thats how you learn.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Due to the stupid crap Obama did to healthcare I might be one of the statistics.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The so-called "Greatest Generation" was born 1930 - 1945 and would have been too young to serve in WWII. It was a media-created misnomer.
What we called the "G.I.  Generation" was born 1900 - 1924 so most missed WWI but served in WWII. They lived through The Great Depression and thus learned how to handle money -- or starve.
The "Silent Generation" was born 1925 - 1945 and thus the older ones served in WWII and were taught by their parents how to manage personal finances. Unfortunately many of the younger ones didn't see the need to pass the knowledge along to their "Boomer" children as the post-war economic recovery had begun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
not if the estate is broke.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No that's her paying her bills.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Imagine that. Boomers can’t manage money
View Quote
They can, just keep working!  I need my SS payments!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
The crybaby millennial  imbeciles who are saddled with crippling student loan debt aren't "victims" of anyone or anything other than their own stupidity and lack of employable skills.

The poor dears.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’m sure it’s only medical bills that caused them to file.
View Quote
Mostly, but never forget the weight of all the taxes put upon us.

In the next ten years, I'll pay $300,000 in Federal $85,000 real estate, $75,000 ssi, $25,000 Medicare.    Plus assorted sales taxes.   Over $500,000.  Half a million dollars that could have been invested or used to pay off debt.

If I lived in a state with income tax, that would be another $170,000 down the drain.

Essentially, the wealth generated from the productive part of my lifetime, will be transferred to the workers in Government and healthcare.

Whether I have any left at the end, is subject to things mostly outside of my control, ie. The stock market and personal health.

And that's from the perspective of one who saves and lives below his means.    I'm not going to be judgemental about those who don't.    Sometimes I think the "Live for today" debt lovers have it right.

Either way, you'll be screwed at the end.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They will come from HER estate, the family members will not pay these bills from THEIR estates. If her estate does not cover the expenses the family does not pay for the bills out of pocket.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, but see that's where the rub comes in, the boomers shithead offspring believe that what the dying boomer has should be theirs, rather than paying for their medical care.

All the while complaining about boomers not paying their bills and managing their money.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine that. Boomers can’t manage money
Hell yes, I'm putting my SS check in the bank every month. Buys a $20,000 vacation every year!
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:08:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Probably bankruptcies due to medical expenses. Very common.
View Quote
Leftist propaganda

In the bankruptcies I see, medical bills are a small % of the total debt.

Car loans are #1 as far as amount of debt.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Another thing, if you are over 60 and still owe on a mortgage you are a retard. I know one guy in his  60's and has two house payments
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.  Why do you think her heirs' estates are relevant here?  Is reading always this difficult for you?
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Another thing, if you are over 60 and still owe on a mortgage you are a retard. I know one guy in his  60's and has two house payments
View Quote
I think this really depends on assets held by the person.  I don't blame a guy for playing the cheap debt game when his market assets are 10x+ the note.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top