BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Both! It depends on what mood I'm in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I am a 50/50 when it comes to bacon, chewy with the right amount of crunch.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Melt in your mouth crispy.

Plop a couple of spoon fulls of bacon grease from the previous bacon cookings into the pan.  Medium-Low heat.  Fill pan up with raw bacon.  Remove when the water from inside the bacon stops foaming.  Never burnt, just crisp.  You can pull it out just a tad earlier if you want to leave a little more grease unrendered inside the bacon fat.

Pour clean golden oil back in the bacon grease jar for the next happy day, but leave just enough in the pan with the left behind crumbles and make some breakfast gravy (.33 c of flour slowly whisked into .25 c grease, slowly whisk in 2 c or so of milk, the season to taste with bit of salt, some pepper and a small bit of sugar).
View Quote
Yes.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
if it all crumbles it is too crispy but it should be a little crisp.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's soft, and it's in a sammich, it's a mother fucker to eat.  I'll take mine crispy.  Besides, crispier is healthier.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Yep.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I voted bacon.   I like it either way.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't matter. It's bacon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like mine right on the edge of crisp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
In between

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If it's soft, and it's in a sammich, it's a mother fucker to eat.  I'll take mine crispy.  Besides, crispier is healthier.
View Quote
LOL!

We are talking about bacon here!!!

The difference between properly made chewy bacon and burned crispy bacon on the Health-O-Meter can't be measured....
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Crispy!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Perfect
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
In 60 to 90 seconds both the eggs and bacon will be perfect!

I hate tasteless over-done food!

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I like my bacon floppy. Warm it up until the fat is transluscent and that is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
My answer is bacon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Somewhere in between.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#18]
If I want something crunchy, the way most people cook it and claim it's "crisp", I'll eat some charcoal.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Melt in your mouth crispy.

Plop a couple of spoon fulls of bacon grease from the previous bacon cookings into the pan.  Medium-Low heat.  Fill pan up with raw bacon.  Remove when the water from inside the bacon stops foaming.  Never burnt, just crisp.  You can pull it out just a tad earlier if you want to leave a little more grease unrendered inside the bacon fat.

Pour clean golden oil back in the bacon grease jar for the next happy day, but leave just enough in the pan with the left behind crumbles and make some breakfast gravy (.33 c of flour slowly whisked into .25 c grease, slowly whisk in 2 c or so of milk, the season to taste with bit of salt, some pepper and a small bit of sugar).
View Quote

Pay heed.  This is how to cook bacon.  Perfect every time.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a 5-10 second window when it both crispy and floppy. It's the holy grail of bacon.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LOL!   We are talking about bacon here!!!
The difference between properly made chewy bacon and burned crispy bacon on the Health-O-Meter can't be measured....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe this is the second time you have refereed to crispy bacon as burnt.  If bacon were bread, would you be referring to toasted bread as burnt or burnt being when it starts to turn black.  I'm just trying to gauge your definition as you don't like crispy bacon or you have only seen crispy bacon that was burnt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
FLOPPY BACON FOR ME!  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

OP, poll fail, no middle of the road option.  Do not pass go, do not collect $2oo pesos.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Dragging a whole piece out is like winning a fucking prize.

Sandwiches should also be eaten with a sharp knife and fork, and you eliminate the slab-drag situation.

View Quote

You hold your pinky out when you sip tea, don't you?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I believe this is the second time you have refereed to crispy bacon as burnt.  If bacon were bread, would you be referring to toasted bread as burnt or burnt being when it starts to turn black.  I'm just trying to gauge your definition as you don't like crispy bacon or you have only seen crispy bacon that was burnt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crispy as in dry, inflexible, and breaks if you try to bend it - but not blackened is over-done and may as well be burned as far as I'm concerned.
If bacon were bread then hard toasted bread that is not blackened is also over-done.

Kind of like steak that is done to medium is over-done!

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is my preference

We've started cooking our bacon in the oven.  It yields perfect results every time with very little mess.  I'm sure someone here is going to get their panties in a twist over it though.
View Quote

Not from me.  That, sir is the only way to do it.

I also use a deep dish pan so we can save the fat in a jar.  Makes for great popcorn.  'Merica!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I also use a deep dish pan so we can save the fat in a jar.  Makes for great popcorn.  'Merica!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is my preference

We've started cooking our bacon in the oven.  It yields perfect results every time with very little mess.  I'm sure someone here is going to get their panties in a twist over it though.

I've never tried using bacon fat for popcorn.

Going to have to give that a try, I have a jar of white popcorn and a jar of bacon fat - off to the kitchen...
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Going to have to give that a try, I have a jar of white popcorn and a jar of bacon fat - off to the kitchen...
View Quote

Do it!

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#29]
When I was a kid I wanted bacon and ham fried stiff/dry.  I wanted pork chops and steak well done and dry.

My dad would just shake his head and (try to) tell me I was losing all the flavor asking for meat to be cooked that dry.

Now that I'm older, I've found out he was right.  Bacon has so much more flavor when it's not over cooked.  Same for steak, pork chops, etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/24528553.jpg

And I'll make sure it doesn't get overdone....

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#31]
From the ny htf Xmas dinner

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Just like the burger thread: it doesn't matter becuse it's ALL good!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Sandwiches should also be eaten with a sharp knife and fork, and you eliminate the slab-drag situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends:
Sandwich/Burger - Better be crispy so I don't take a bite and drag a piece out
With bacon and eggs, or a similar dish - Floppy and fatty like a piece of meat should be

I bet you eat pizza with silverware, too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I will speak of bacon doneness in terms of cooking beef.

For eating out of hand for breakfast with eggs and such, Medium-Medium/Well.  Not floppy and slimy, not burnt to shit and brittle.

As a garnish or topping for baked/mashed spuds, salads, soups and the like, just the non burnt side of Well Done.  Crispy, but not burnt.

In wrapping type applications, Medium-ish but blasted at high heat the last second to get a nice crust.

When its an ingredient in a casserole or soup, just make sure its done.

Burgers and Sandwiches?  See above, I'm not picky unless you burn it or undercook it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#35]
All meat should have a crispy layer but if its thick, then it should have a soft center as well.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is my preference

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not under-cooked soft and definitely not over-done crispy, more like properly done chewy!   Of the two extremes, I'll take under-done instead of crispy (which is basically burnt).

This is my preference

That's how I  do it.  Lay the bacon in the bottom of a cold, cast iron skillet.  Put it in a cold oven and turn it to 400 and set the timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, pull your pan out and cook your eggs in the bacon grease.  Scrape and rinse and you're done.

No checking, turning, splashing, popping grease.  Just perfect bacon with no mess and after you cook your eggs, a fifteen second cleanup of the pan.  The stove top stays nice and clean which is particularly nice when you have a real (IOW, gas) stove top.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://m0.i.pbase.com/o4/72/325172/1/56103530.BurnedPopCorn.jpg

View Quote

I can smell the stink through my screen.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://m0.i.pbase.com/o4/72/325172/1/56103530.BurnedPopCorn.jpg

Yep!

My buddy did that in our workshop - took days to get the stench out....
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Uh, yes!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I
Quoted:

That's how I  do it.  Lay the bacon in the bottom of a cold, cast iron skillet.  Put it in a cold oven and turn it to 400 and set the timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, pull your pan out and cook your eggs in the bacon grease.  Scrape and rinse and you're done.

No checking, turning, splashing, popping grease.  Just perfect bacon with no mess and after you cook your eggs, a fifteen second cleanup of the pan.  The stove top stays nice and clean which is particularly nice when you have a real (IOW, gas) stove top.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not under-cooked soft and definitely not over-done crispy, more like properly done chewy!   Of the two extremes, I'll take under-done instead of crispy (which is basically burnt).

This is my preference

Cast iron makes everything better, hell I cook 99 cent pizzas (well $1.50ish now) on a cast iron griddle seasoned with bacon grease.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I like it right on the edge of burnt crispy
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I like it done the way Waffle House does it - Crispy without being burnt.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In between
View Quote

Yup. I like some crisp but also needs to have soft points. Lol
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:28:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nah, dude, that bite with a whole piece represents bites you're going to take later with little to no bacon. The ideal sandwich has a hearty amount of bacon with every bite.

And what is this knife and fork for a sandwich business? Communism, that's what. That is bad and you should feel bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It depends:
Sandwich/Burger - Better be crispy so I don't take a bite and drag a piece out
With bacon and eggs, or a similar dish - Floppy and fatty like a piece of meat should be

Nah, dude, that bite with a whole piece represents bites you're going to take later with little to no bacon. The ideal sandwich has a hearty amount of bacon with every bite.

And what is this knife and fork for a sandwich business? Communism, that's what. That is bad and you should feel bad.

I just assumed he doesnt like winning.

I like my bacon on the softer side. Crispy bacon is like a medium+ steak. Over cooked
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Really thick cut, crisp it brown on the outside, and chewy in the middle.
View Quote
Word.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

A pizza joint in NY laughed at me because I would always bring metal silverware with me.  

"I don't do plastic."
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Poll fail no in between
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

My dad always burned bacon to absolute shit every time he made breakfast when I was a kid.

It's one of the reasons I don't like bacon. I am working to enjoy bacon at least in soft form but every breakfast is a struggle
View Quote
Learn to do it in the oven, about 12 minutes @400 degrees, for thick cut.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#50]
The choices should have been:

Crispy
Flaccid

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top