BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's what I tried telling a friend of mine.

She's all in on beach body and had tried to get me to stop going to the gym in favor of those at home workouts. Despite the fact her goal is pageants and I'm a USCG officer trying to be competitive for  tactical interdiction teams. Apparently the concept of end goals is lost on her.

She hasn't interjected as much since I posted about squatting and dead lifting in the mid 400s and posted videos of me flipping tires.

I think you can get lean doing body weight exercises. But you can't get truely strong without lifting weights.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air squats, planks, burpees, blah blah blah ....For sure, but it's only going to get you so far.  At some point you need to lift weight.
That's what I tried telling a friend of mine.

She's all in on beach body and had tried to get me to stop going to the gym in favor of those at home workouts. Despite the fact her goal is pageants and I'm a USCG officer trying to be competitive for  tactical interdiction teams. Apparently the concept of end goals is lost on her.

She hasn't interjected as much since I posted about squatting and dead lifting in the mid 400s and posted videos of me flipping tires.

I think you can get lean doing body weight exercises. But you can't get truely strong without lifting weights.
The more you can squat on a barbell, the more air squats you can do.  Or squats with 135# on the bar.  Generally.  The better your cardio/muscle conditioning, the more you can do as well.  But you need both of those to perform optimally.  At some point you hit the law of diminishing returns, but generally strength only helps all of those things.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Most people no longer due manual labor like that anymore.  Every farmer I see today has a round or square bailer hooked up to one of their tractors.

Not that it isn't a good workout, but until someone pays me my engineering salary to bail hay, I'll have to settle for going to the gym.

If you really want to get strong, go sign up to build limestone retaining walls.  Hay bails aren't shit compared to 100 lb pieces of rock.
View Quote
He was joking.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Starting strength
View Quote
This.

Make sure to toss in some cardio.

For my cardio I just lift weights faster... seriously 15-25% of my max and lift faster for 3 sets of 10-20, with a 60 second break.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At some point, sure.  Starting is the most important part by far.  You don't need equipment and gyms and fancy workouts to get started.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Air squats, planks, burpees, blah blah blah ....For sure, but it's only going to get you so far.  At some point you need to lift weight.
At some point, sure.  Starting is the most important part by far.  You don't need equipment and gyms and fancy workouts to get started.
Sounds weak.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
LOL.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of that makes you strong.
LOL.  
Lol. Sounds weak.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This.

For my cardio I just lift weights faster... seriously 15-25% of my max and lift faster for 3 sets of 10-20, with a 60 second break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Starting strength
This.

No. Then you're not doing the fucking program (YNDTFP).

"Cardio" is easy to obtain. Strength is not. Take advantage of the novice effect. Only add HIIT as an intermediate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
<SNIP>

If you really want to get strong, go sign up to build limestone retaining walls.  Hay bails aren't shit compared to 100 lb pieces of rock.
View Quote
This thread is now about farm strong vs day laborer strong..
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just do curls for about 45 minutes every day in the squat rack. I basically look like a modern Adonis after 3 months. If you can't do that go work on a farm and get that farmer strength that is held in the highest of regards.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#10]
It's already been covered so I will say this.

Forced adaptation is harderer than most people imagine. Most people think you lift weights, you get big, end of story. Wasting your time fucking with dumb bell kick backs and random isolation exercises is a good way to get disillusioned and disappointed over time. Newbs gain on any exercise but that will fade as your body becomes used to being exercised.

Heavy compound movements are to be your focus. Anything else you do should IMPROVE and accentuate the basic 4 compound movements.

And curls. Bitches love curls.

5X5 and a proper high protein diet that fits your needs. "Some" cardio and never long steady state. HIIT one or two days a week and hit your primary compounds. Accessory as needed to improve compounds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Was watching a video with a Mr. Olympia bodybuilder who was training some up and coming bodybuilder. One thing he said was that you either train for weight lifting or train for body sculpting/body building, and both are distinctly different. Anyway, point he was making was know what your goals are before you design your workout routine. And if you just want to lift heavy weights look at routines/exercises that will enable your strength to grow but may not produce as much muscle size and definition as a body builder's routine might. And if you are more concerned about your physique then look at routines/exercises that will maximize muscle growth and sculpting but may not equate to as much raw muscle strength as a weight lifter's routine might. I think that distinction is important because in this thread you are getting advice form people in both camps.     
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is the most basic routine that gets results?  I'm not saying basic as in easy but an uncomplicated set of moves.  Some of the routines I've been given seemed overly complicated for what I'm looking for.  I'm looking for strength, gain a few pounds and definition.  If I could add 15 pounds (doesn't seem unreasonable) that'd be great.  I own a power rack, bench, 7' Olympic bar, hex bar and dumbbells.
View Quote

First off... You need to also do sprints after your strength excersizes to build cardio health, which gets more blood flow to the arms durring weights.

That said:

-5 sets of Pull-ups with rest between (however many reps is comfortable)
-5 sets of curls ~15-25 reps
-5 sets of bench press ~15-25 reps
-5 "side carries" ie grab a bigass weight disc and walk around with it (simulates draging an animal in nature)
-5 Sprints ~100 meters
-Eat, high protein lunch with chicken or beef and rice or whole wheat bread and some fruit
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

First off... You need to also do sprints after your strength excersizes to build cardio health, which gets more blood flow to the arms durring weights.

That said:

-5 "side carries" ie grab a bigass weight disc and walk around with it (simulates draging an animal in nature)
-5 Sprints ~100 meters
-Eat, high protein lunch with chicken or beef and rice or whole wheat bread and some fruit
View Quote
WTF is this crap?

Sounds weak.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
WTF is this crap?

Sounds weak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said:

-5 Sprints ~100 meters
WTF is this crap?

Sounds weak.
Well I'm open to ideas but this works for me. Daily
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said:

-5 Sprints ~100 meters
WTF is this crap?

Sounds weak.
How much ya bench?

How much ya squat?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WTF is this crap?

Sounds weak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said:

-5 Sprints ~100 meters
WTF is this crap?

Sounds weak.
No squats. No deads. 5 sets of curls. Not interested.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How much ya bench?

How much ya squat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said:

-5 Sprints ~100 meters
WTF is this crap?

Sounds weak.
How much ya bench?

How much ya squat?
Well for OP it should be however much he's comfortable with while still doing 20ish reps per set

For me personally I bench 165 20 reps per set

(Though I've dabbled with as high as 205 but didn't get the same puffed feeling with fewer reps)

I don't squat, sprints work my legs just fine.

*I should mention I'm 5'7 and very thin bone structure lol
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well for OP it should be however much he's comfortable with while still doing 20ish reps per set

(Though I've dabbled with as high as 205 but didn't get the same puffed feeling with fewer reps)

View Quote
Why you no leg day bro?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stop making excuses as to why you're weak. Stop being retarded and get stronger. Your bone structure is irrelevant.

No leg day and reps more than 5 = weak sauce.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why you no leg day bro?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why you no leg day bro?
I never got much results from squats

I spend my leg energy on long walks and sprints, my heart and lungs feel amazing and I have more energy for bench
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Stop making excuses as to why you're weak. Stop being retarded and get stronger. Your bone structure is irrelevant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reps more than 5 weak sauce?

O my, hell no lol

Reps less than 15 weak sauce
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I spend my leg energy on long walks and sprints, my heart and lungs feel amazing and I have more energy for bench
View Quote
Well it's probably one of, if not *the*, single most beneficial lift you can do. Are you squatting correctly? Because most dudebros I see at the gym do a few half-rep curtsies and call it good so they can go do more presses/curls.

Curls for the girls, right babe?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well it's probably one of, if not *the*, single most beneficial lift you can do. Are you squatting correctly? Because most dudebros I see at the gym do a few half-rep curtsies and call it good so they can go do more presses/curls.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I'll have to give squats another try

I did go all the way down and back up,

I duno just wasn't my cup of tea (didn't feel amazing afterwards like other excersizes)
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

O my, hell no lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

O my, hell no lol

Ok. Bench press rep challenge. Since you don't squat. Whoever reps the most over 15 wins. 1-2-3 go.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ok. Bench press rep challenge. Since you don't squat. Whoever reps the most over 15 wins. 1-2-3 go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

O my, hell no lol

You got me curious, what are your bench numbers?

You sound like the beefcake who does like 250lb?

I just don't get squats, they boost overall endurance?!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I duno just wasn't my cup of tea (didn't feel amazing afterwards like other excersizes)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you doing low weight/high reps with squats? Squats and deads are supposed to feel like dying. If you don't get a fight or flight response, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can rep 215 like it's going out of style.

And my wife calls me beefcake.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.

Also, I'll admit one reason I'm so keen on sprints is that it "feels" amazing

Like my lungs heart and veins are expanding from it.

Also I don't get sick or headaches when my cardio health is good
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.

Sounds like a liberal.

The iron doesn't care how you feel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Were you doing low weight/high reps with squats? Squats and deads are supposed to feel like dying. If you don't get a fight or flight response, you're doing it wrong.
View Quote
I do low weigh high reps squats for warmup.   Then switch to 4x6 for my targeted weight.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why you no leg day bro?

My wife trains the same way...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I do low weigh high reps squats for warmup.   Then switch to 4x6 for my targeted weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh. 6 reps is still high reps.

I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Uh. 6 reps is still high reps.

I'm sorry.
View Quote
No one cares.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can no one in GD count to 5?!!!!!!!!!!!!! Numbers between 1-5 are good. Anything else is haram.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why you no leg day bro?

Niiiiiiiiiiice.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No one cares.
View Quote
Sounds weak.

#stopbeingweak
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you're being trolled...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trolls trolling trolls trolling trolls...
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh absolutely.

As I was finishing up some guy was getting all pissy and staring at me casue I had bought all the boxes. So I figured when I left he might follow me and sure enough he did. I would of sold him a box or 2 but he got all lippy and I was dressed in my business attire and little did he know I rep out 215 like I it was going out of style. So I got up real close and told him one more word and he was going to get put to sleep(rear choke...maybe triangle if it got to the ground) he stepped back cussed me out and wacked away. Long story I got 16 boxes of ammo for 688 including tax.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Sounds weak.

#stopbeingweak
View Quote
For someone who doesn't go to a gym because of how much they hate human interaction, you sure do seem to love telling people how much you hate their workouts.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

For someone who doesn't go to a gym because of how much they hate human interaction, you sure do seem to love telling people how much you hate their workouts.
View Quote
I'll admit. I don't get the reference. Either some of my previous trolling has gotten the best of me, or I'm just retarded. Maybe both.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Bench press
Barbell back squat
Deadlift
Power clean
Barbell overhead press
Bent over barbell toes
Barbell shrugs
Barbell curls

The further you get away from compound lifts with the barbell, the worse off you'll be.

Proper nutrition and adequate rest are just as important as the lifts you do. Trust me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
If by after you mean like on a different day, sure.

Doing HIIT right after resistance training is a good way to die. I'm kidding, mostly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Constantly change your work outs to shock your body
Change body part combinations every couple months
Go light one week , heavy next week , or every 2 weeks
And You are what you eat
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Constantly change your work outs bro to shock your body bro
Change body part combinations bro every couple months bro
Bro go light one week , heavy next week bro , or every 2 weeks bro
And, bro, you are what you eat bro
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Constantly change your work outs to shock your body
Change body part combinations every couple months
Go light one week , heavy next week , or every 2 weeks
And You are what you eat
View Quote
How about this.  Don't try to invent your own program.  People much more knowledgeable than you have already figured most things out.  Follow their advice/program.  Profit.  There are a wealth of programs out there for different types of goals and body types.  Most are absolutely free.  Don't compile a bunch of bioscience and expect to see results.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
5x5
View Quote
Came to post this
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
thats an intermediate program.  horrible advice for a beginner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5x5
thats an intermediate program.  horrible advice for a beginner.
Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginner program, hell I started it having never lifted before
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top