BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym.  It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

Most guys I've known that worked out in a gym have all their muscle turn to fat when they stop lifting.

You need to find some where you can lift hay bails.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK.  We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

When I went to college, one of my friends remarked about how strong I was and he wanted to test my strength.

He took me to the college gym and I got up to a 415 bench...I think that was 4 plates lol...but I didn't care about those numbers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Since its not muscle tissue, could go either way. He's definitely got the droopy triceps on lock tho.

http://i.imgur.com/2BRleML.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sincerely hope you aren't actually looking to Rich Piana for advice on anything, besides how to be retard and where to get PMMA injections in Mexico.

Seriously, that glob of goo is a tool bag.
I had to bing image search "Rich Piana".

Can that dude even wipe his own ass?

Since its not muscle tissue, could go either way. He's definitely got the droopy triceps on lock tho.

http://i.imgur.com/2BRleML.jpg
Vitamin S
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
What would you do instead of squats if you have physical limitations? I have a bad knee because of a tibial plateau fracture. I'll probably need a knee replacement but would like to put it off as long as possible. The bad leg is weaker for sure. 55 years old.

I'm doing step ups on a box, then leg press machine, leg curls, and leg extensions.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What would you do instead of squats if you have physical limitations? I have a bad knee because of a tibial plateau fracture. I'll probably need a knee replacement but would like to put it off as long as possible. The bad leg is weaker for sure. 55 years old.

I'm doing step ups on a box, then leg press machine, leg curls, and leg extensions.
View Quote
I would squat.

Leg extensions are horrible for your knees.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah. I'll have to try squats again. Didn't know leg extensions were that bad for your knees. They don't seem to bother mine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah. I'll have to try squats again. Didn't know leg extensions were that bad for your knees. They don't seem to bother mine.
View Quote
Try low bar so you can stay out of your knees better. Use perfect form. Get squat shoes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Try low bar so you can stay out of your knees better. Use perfect form. Get squat shoes.
View Quote
I had to start doing it barefoot.  I just could not do it with good form wearing shoes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had to start doing it barefoot.  I just could not do it with good form wearing shoes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regular shoes?

If you can't do it in squat shoes you're probably doing it wrong.

Barefoot is much better than athletic shoes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
i do the sl 5x5 exercises but on 3x5

a day
squat bench row

b day
squat press dead

3 days/week
aba
bab

will take under 90 minutes with warm up sets and rest between sets.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm not entirely sure...he kept putting on plates after I benched.  There was about 4 plates on each side....sorry, not sure what they weighed.

Not as much as my that exercise where you pick the bar up off the ground.
View Quote
meh anyone above 140ish bodyweight should be able to bench that no prob
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds weak.

#stopbeingweak
View Quote
Post the video of you pushing weight.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Post the video of you pushing weight.
View Quote
We go to the same gym. I've seen him bench 460 like it was a hay bale.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I like this, I'm used to doing this workout from football. The only problem is I can't bench press by myself. Anyone have suggestions for that?
View Quote
start light and work up slowly. Learn how to dump the bar if you need to and don't use collars.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

start light and work up slowly. Learn how to dump the bar if you need to and don't use collars.
View Quote
The shame and ridicule of dumping the weights is great motivation to get that last rep.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Regular shoes?

If you can't do it in squat shoes you're probably doing it wrong.

Barefoot is much better than athletic shoes.
View Quote
Running shoes.  I couldn't keep my heels on the ground without risking falling on my ass.

Barefoot works great, tho.   Haven't tried squat shoes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:33:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Running shoes.  I couldn't keep my heels on the ground without risking falling on my ass.

View Quote
Try some chucks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
thats an intermediate program.  horrible advice for a beginner.
View Quote
Agree
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:44:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
5x5
View Quote
This. Strong lifts 5x5 
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We go to the same gym. I've seen him bench 460 like it was a hay bale.
View Quote
Metric or avoirdupois hay bale?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginner program, hell I started it having never lifted before
View Quote
yeah i did this at that.

frankly the fewer sets in starting strength are actually a little better suited to lifting heavier than sl 5x5.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]
48 years old here, doing Starting Strength, could use some advice with my squat.  Had reconstructive knee surgery 20 something years ago, knee feels ok, but not super stable.

The problem I have is low bar squats are murder on my elbows, can't seem to fix that issue.  Switched to high bar squat, but seems to put more stress on my knees.  

Any ideas?  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Has pick shit up, and put shit down been mentioned yet?  Very basic and effective
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:03:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Wrist curls! I set a PR today on wrist curls. Pumps for the weekend!!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd lift weights, but don't want to get huge.

All running and Jillian Micheals DVD workouts for me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
48 years old here, doing Starting Strength, could use some advice with my squat.  Had reconstructive knee surgery 20 something years ago, knee feels ok, but not super stable.

The problem I have is low bar squats are murder on my elbows, can't seem to fix that issue.  Switched to high bar squat, but seems to put more stress on my knees.  

Any ideas?  Thanks
View Quote
Safety squat bar.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have an outlet mall near you the adidas store has Powerlift 2.0's for $50. Might be able to find them online for the same.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#27]
First post.  Look up Mark Rippetoe.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Safety squat bar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any ideas?  Thanks
Safety squat bar.
Actually I'd try a wide grip without wrapping the thumbs. I pull my hands in tight but only get my pinky and ring fingers on the bar. Wrists straight, your elbows shouldn't support any of the weight. Your traps support the weight.

Then work on your shoulder mobility each time you're in the gym by forcing yourself under the bar while narrowing your grip.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, running shoes suck. The mooshiness is probably making you get on your toes more. Barefoot/chucks/squat shoes allow you to sit back and keep the bar over the midfoot. I prefer squat shoes due to the increased support/stability they provide.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym.  It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

Most guys I've known that worked out in a gym have all their muscle turn to fat when they stop lifting.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK.  We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

When I went to college, one of my friends remarked about how strong I was and he wanted to test my strength.

He took me to the college gym and I got up to a 415 bench...I think that was 4 plates lol...but I didn't care about those numbers.
View Quote
Hoe Lee Shit. I have to believe this is an internet meme. Muscle to fat? Lol.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Is Squatdog still around? I bet he has some dope workouts including taking full power shots to the chest.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah, running shoes suck. The mooshiness is probably making you get on your toes more. Barefoot/chucks/squat shoes allow you to sit back and keep the bar over the midfoot. I prefer squat shoes due to the increased support/stability they provide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Five Fingers are the choice of serious lifters everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym. It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK. We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

He's mocking a poster on another thread saying how he doesn't go to the gym, just bales hay and moves sofas.

When a friend put him on the bench, he bench pressed "four plates on each side".  Oh, and he weighs 140.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He's mocking a poster on another thread saying how he doesn't go to the gym, just bales hay and moves sofas.

When a friend put him on the bench, he bench pressed "four plates on each side".  Oh, and he weighs 140.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't waste your time in the gym. It's not functional strength and will lead to muscle imbalances.

I grew up on a farm in South Eastern OK. We lifted hay bails from sun up to sun down.

That's funny shit right there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#35]
lol @ arfcom workout advise.

Bottom line, your muscles are only as strong as your bones allow.  So logic says to focus solely on bone strengthening training and the muscle will follow.  Simple program:

5 x rib raises (each side)
5 x femur pulls
5 x clavicle press
finish off with 3 x humerus extensions (incline and inverted)

Ta-fuckin-da
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:27:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Any ideas?  Thanks
View Quote
Fuggles, I used to have wrist/elbow problems doing low bar squats, as I tried to keep elbows down as recommended. I think this is fine for guys with well developed upper backs who can rest the bar on the meat of their backs. I switched to elbows pointing backward, as Rippetoe suggests, and now have no pain. Many disagree with this method but it works for me; just make sure that you control the upper torso, so that you are not doing a "good morning" squat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#37]
OST
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bottom line, your muscles are only as strong as your bones allow.  So logic says to focus solely on bone strengthening training and the muscle will follow.  Simple program:

5 x femur pulls
5 x clavicle press

Ta-fuckin-da
View Quote
Not quite.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff's_law
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol, I missed a GD lifting thread and was worried liftin bales wasn't posted.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
5x5
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
lol, I missed a GD lifting thread and was worried liftin bales wasn't posted.  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always got your back bro!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Say you're a regular guy and you start this 5x5 routine....

Realistically how long would it be that say... you're meeting up for lunch with friends or family and they do a double take because they actually notice a difference. Maybe a cliche "have you been going to the gym"?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Realistically how long would it be that say... you're meeting up for lunch with friends or family and they do a double take because they actually notice a difference. Maybe a cliche "have you been going to the gym"?
View Quote
87 days.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
They will see your face shrink and call you skinny long before they say you're huge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They will see your face shrink and call you skinny long before they say you're huge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not always.

But I started out at 125 lbs.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
3 months, you'll see gains.

6 months your wife will see gains.

1 year, everyone will see gains.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#47]
I agree leg extensions are quite bad for your knees.   I don't even know why that machine is still made and or used.  

If you have knee pain and back problems, I would not recommend squats at all.  Just write it off.  Let's say your do the squats in absolute perfect form.  I mean perfect.  For some reason, you bobble the weight wrong and you can erase all those gains instantly.  Compare this with the leg sled, where it's much easier to have great to perfect form.  

I get it, the gains with squats will be faster and potentially better (range of motion and flexibility) but the down side it also greater.   Of course this is for people with known issues with their knees and lower back.  For those reasons I'll no longer do squats, unless for higher reps.   Then even I wonder if it's the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I agree leg extensions are quite bad for your knees.   I don't even know why that machine is still made and or used.  

If you have knee pain and back problems, I would not recommend squats at all.  Just write it off.  Let's say your do the squats in absolute perfect form.  I mean perfect.  For some reason, you bobble the weight wrong and you can erase all those gains instantly.  Compare this with the leg sled, where it's much easier to have great to perfect form.  

I get it, the gains with squats will be faster and potentially better (range of motion and flexibility) but the down side it also greater.   Of course this is for people with known issues with their knees and lower back.  For those reasons I'll no longer do squats, unless for higher reps.   Then even I wonder if it's the right thing.
View Quote
Practice with the bar (or just squatting without any weight whatsoever), with someone who knows what perfect form looks like to watch you until your form is perfect.  Then practice that form like a motherfucker until it's second nature.

I mean, you can injure yourself pretty badly running, too.  But we don't tell people to never run for any reason just because you can get injured by doing it incorrectly.    

To eschew squatting because of the potential for injury doesn't seem like a good idea, either.   Yeah, you can injure yourself if you don't do it right.   So get good at doing it right before you even bother with the gains.

eta: Yeah, if you have hip and knee problems, probably not a good idea, tho.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

5 x femur pulls
5 x clavicle press

Ta-fuckin-da
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

How can you tell when a bro is on a 5x5 program?  Don't worry, he'll tell ya.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you have an outlet mall near you the adidas store has Powerlift 2.0's for $50. Might be able to find them online for the same.
View Quote
This is the shoe you are talking about:

The sole looks different but the heel still looks higher than the toe or ball.

And that works for doing squats and deadlifts???

I am just using Nike Air's (running shoes) right now but I can feel my heels come up off the floor while doing squats.  The amount on the bar isn't that much...at least not yet.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top