BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Where can I find the entire series on BRD on the cheap?

Whole thing for 7.99 or whatever netflix costs.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where can I find the entire series on BRD on the cheap?

There are new copies starting at $135 on the Amazon.com marketplace.

And the official abbreviation is BD (short for BD-ROM), BTW, not BRD.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think the perfect series finale would have been the season 4.0 last episode, Revelations

From wiki:

In the final scene of the episode, the Fleet jubilantly arrives at Earth. Adama announces to the Fleet that their journey is finally over. A party of humans and Cylons travels down to the surface, but are speechless when they arrive in the radioactive ruins of a developed city.

In fact this is how the series now ends, in my mind. Like the three Star Wars prequels, season 4.5 simply doesn't exist for me

Yeah that really would have been the better ending point. The entire second half of that season sucked and added nohting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried to watch it, so much drama...endless unnecessary drama; and Starbuck, the drama queen, I despised that character even more than the drama king Baltar.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I liked the ending.

The characters realized that the cycles of history and future history are deterministic because of human nature, and did the only thing they could think of to break the cycle.

Nevertheless, tens of thousands of years later, the new human race is on the verge of making the same mistakes.

There's no telling whether the earth they settled on was the second earth or the fiftieth.

Life perpetuating itself and unwinding like a fractal.

This seems fits well with the real cosmology of the universe, which probably operates in cycles of boom and crunch.

I should add I just finished watching the show for the first time about a week ago.

Did you like the final scene, on our Earth, with the dancing Asimo robot and the Japanese fembot? I couldn't believe I was actually watching my formerly beloved series ending in such a weak manner.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I liked the ending.

The characters realized that the cycles of history and future history are deterministic because of human nature, and did the only thing they could think of to break the cycle.

Nevertheless, tens of thousands of years later, the new human race is on the verge of making the same mistakes.

There's no telling whether the earth they settled on was the second earth or the fiftieth.

Life perpetuating itself and unwinding like a fractal.

This seems fits well with the real cosmology of the universe, which probably operates in cycles of boom and crunch.

I should add I just finished watching the show for the first time about a week ago.

Did you like the final scene, on our Earth, with the dancing Asimo robot and the Japanese fembot? I couldn't believe I was actually watching my formerly beloved series ending in such a weak manner.

I did, it made me laugh.

And, it spoke to the central theme of the show, that human propagation and history unfolds like a fractal, the same patterns again and again and again.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honestly, the way I would have ended the series... instead of arriving 200,000 years ago and being the ancestors of modern man, or arriving in 1980 (barf) how about Earth really IS the 13th colony and they arrive around, say, 2300 or 2400 or 2500 and find Earth-bound humanity a spacefaring people who are a damn sight more technologically advanced than the 12 Colonies ever were, with a lot of territory under their sphere of influence, but totally unawares that they're not completely alone in the universe.

Have a lot of tension and drama over these unknown ships from an unknown place arriving bearing other men, and possibly carrying the biggest shitstorm in history behind them, the holy-shit factor involved in this, and have kind of a "Texas joins the United States then both go to war against Mexico" allegory in that after the necessary drama, humanity takes the Colonials in, but the total breakdown in relations with the Cylons results in a total refusal of Terran humans to accept them, with the series ending in an apocalyptic battle between the Colonials alongside the Terran humans, and the entire Cylon fleet that's been tailing them, ending in victory but foreshadowing the possibility of an unending war between the 13th Colony and the Cylons at some unknown point in the future, and it's the 12 Colonies' fault...

Interesting... as I had the same EXACT idea. I was hoping they'd jump into earth space and be surrounded by some UBER space force of Terrans ready to layeth the smacketh down.

-ZA
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
when the ending first aired i was pretty 'meh' about it.  but now, after having gone back and watched whole series a few times, i actually like the way it ended.  just accept it for what it is...
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly, the way I would have ended the series... instead of arriving 200,000 years ago and being the ancestors of modern man, or arriving in 1980 (barf) how about Earth really IS the 13th colony and they arrive around, say, 2300 or 2400 or 2500 and find Earth-bound humanity a spacefaring people who are a damn sight more technologically advanced than the 12 Colonies ever were, with a lot of territory under their sphere of influence, but totally unawares that they're not completely alone in the universe.

Have a lot of tension and drama over these unknown ships from an unknown place arriving bearing other men, and possibly carrying the biggest shitstorm in history behind them, the holy-shit factor involved in this, and have kind of a "Texas joins the United States then both go to war against Mexico" allegory in that after the necessary drama, humanity takes the Colonials in, but the total breakdown in relations with the Cylons results in a total refusal of Terran humans to accept them, with the series ending in an apocalyptic battle between the Colonials alongside the Terran humans, and the entire Cylon fleet that's been tailing them, ending in victory but foreshadowing the possibility of an unending war between the 13th Colony and the Cylons at some unknown point in the future, and it's the 12 Colonies' fault...

Interesting... as I had the same EXACT idea. I was hoping they'd jump into earth space and be surrounded by some UBER space force of Terrans ready to layeth the smacketh down.

-ZA

I had the much same story ending in my mind....when I watched the original BSG in the 80's

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
when the ending first aired i was pretty 'meh' about it.  but now, after having gone back and watched whole series a few times, i actually like the way it ended.  just accept it for what it is...

No, it was freaking stupid.  It was a cop out.  An attempt to be deep or something.  Dumb.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't think the ending was THAT bad. I kinda guessed that we were the decendants of Human-cylon hybrids mid-way into season 3.
It was too obvious. Also, I saw Ronald Moore at a SCI-fi convention here on Long Island and when asked about Starbuck he said leaving her character unanswered and vague was intentional. He wanted the audience to keep guessing what it was all about. (I also got to ask him about Klingons and their culture. Kapla!)

I suppose people don't realise that the "story arc" of BSG was supposed to be only 3 seasons long but when SCI-FI channel realized it was a popular hit they wanted to stretch to show to 5 seasons so that caused problems because now they had to add a whole lotta crap that was not in the original story. By the last season they were really getting lame.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Loved the whole series.

ALL of it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Great series, but terrible, abortion of an ending.  It's almost like they ran out of ideas for a storyline and just ended it abruptly with "God did it!" to explain all the loopholes in the plot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it was freaking stupid.  It was a cop out.  An attempt to be deep or something.  Dumb.

you were expecting Shakespeare or something?  everyone knew that they would find 'Earth' at the end.  the only question was would it be in the past, present or future...
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have no complaints about the series, flame away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Luddite stuff at the end was unbelievable. Who would walk away from all that tech? The first time you had to shit in the woods, everyone would have headed back to the ships. Not to mention the first time you got hungry. And clothes, what the fuck are you going to wear after your trousers wear out. I love technology and would have rebelled if they told me to give it all up and live in the mud.

You got that right!    Watching all those ships set course straight for the sun!?    I would have been:
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#19]

The 13th Colony would not have been as advanced as the other 12, which were more closely together in trade and eventually united with a population many times greater than our single colony.  

I would have like to see them come into contact with the 13th Colony just as it starts to reach beyond its own solar system.  

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree B5 was the model on how a great series should be done.  A consistent story line for a series is as vital as the story line for a book.  It makes it or breaks it.

Farscape.

/thread
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#21]
what took me a while to grasp was that the skin-job cylons basically were clone-descendants of the 13th colony and that there was basically no difference (other than slight genetic variations from developing separately for 5000 years) between them and 12 colony humans.  imo, they shouldnt even have been called 'cylons'
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I didn't mind the ending, what I didn't like were the mindless filler episodes that didn't take you anywhere.

At least it didn't end with Adama, Starbuck, Apollo and The President sitting around a table at a diner in New Jersey listening to "Don't Stop Believing" with Six walking in the door and..........

Win.

I enjoyed the BSG ending.      I wanted to shoot Tony Soprano in the head myself just for SOME feeling of closure.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I could have done without the entire Galactica travels to an Cro-magnon populated Earth.

I liked the very end of the episode where they show NYC and all the advances in robotics showing the dangers of mankind letting our technology run us. Very ominous.

Favorite character was Baltar, Ive never seen a more neurotic character on tv.

The fifth Cylon should have been Zack Adama IMO

And Atleast it ended better than LOST.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's REAL close to how I was hoping it would end.

The Cylons corner the fleet in a small solar system and have them on the ropes when they are engaged by a superior force from Earth.

It could have been epic
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
AFAIK, it ended at either the moment Gaeta's leg "stopped hurting anymore", or when Cavil ate a bullet.

The rest was unnecessary, IMO.

He was another character that I felt got shafted.  Gaeta was an interesting character trying to find his place... till the writers fucked him over.

Baltar, when I originally watched the beginning and season 1 I thought was dumb, but as I watched it more, I appreciated what he thought was his insanity constantly talking to 6.  Season 2.5+ was a waste of the sheer hilarity that Baltar was becoming.

Baltar, another character that was wasted on dumbass writing.

I came to the conclusion early on that we were never going to see Baltar die, no matter HOW much he deserves it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The 13th Colony would not have been as advanced as the other 12, which were more closely together in trade and eventually united with a population many times greater than our single colony.

How do you figure that? The 12 Colonies seemed rather stagnant. They inherited advanced tech and used it regularly, but didn't seem to do that much with it nor have a need to. Their medical technology was in the dark ages compared to most of the rest of their tech, and they really didn't have much major conflict prior to the first Cylon War aside from bringing the occasional irascible colony to heel, and had a single overarching government that seemed to keep potential for conflict well under control. They weren't facing a constant outpouring of minds and money into an everlasting struggle of powerful near-peers to one-up each other and gain superiority like here. It's telling that their truly rapid advances in technology occurred in the short period of time after the first Cylon War when they were finally facing a situation akin to that we deal with every day.

It's not inconceivable at all that the 13th Colony under our circumstances would develop at a faster rate than the other 12 under theirs. Remember we didn't really advance all that quickly until thrown into the cauldron of a pair of world wars with the threat of a third constantly hanging over our heads combined with American profit-motive hypercapitalism applying the same fast-paced high dollar struggle to one-up the competition to the marketplace. We went from horse-drawn carts and cannons to nuclear weapons, superfighters, and space travel in less than a century, and that was no inevitability or coincidence; there were plenty of periods akin to the 12 Colonies' state of being in our history and what you got was hundreds of years of very gradual advancement.

I would say the 12 Colonies were more like what modern tech would look like with a relatively peaceful united Europe running the Earth and advancing very gradually and asymmetrically, and no emergence of the British Empire or the United States.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I hated that they fought and ran for years trying to stay alive only to end up doing to themselves what the cylons failed to do, kill off their culture/history/selves

I have a feeling most of the colonials would have died within 1 year once they settled on earth with next to nothing and their culture would have been compeltely gone within 2-3 generations as they either would have died out completely or ended up having a few survivors here and there living with the natives assuming they found human tribes that didn't kill them on sight
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
AFAIK, it ended at either the moment Gaeta's leg "stopped hurting anymore", or when Cavil ate a bullet.

The rest was unnecessary, IMO.

He was another character that I felt got shafted.  Gaeta was an interesting character trying to find his place... till the writers fucked him over.

Baltar, when I originally watched the beginning and season 1 I thought was dumb, but as I watched it more, I appreciated what he thought was his insanity constantly talking to 6.  Season 2.5+ was a waste of the sheer hilarity that Baltar was becoming.

Baltar, another character that was wasted on dumbass writing.

I came to the conclusion early on that we were never going to see Baltar die, no matter HOW much he deserves it.

Baltar was a puppet and a tool but not Evil like the Baltar in the original series.  He just couldn't concieve that the Robot toaster Cylons had evolved into a woman like Six in a few decades.   He didn't see her as an enemy.

He also threw more than one guy under the bus to save his own skin.

He was evil "enough" to deserve to get spaced.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Up until they sent the fleet into the sun, I half expected them to start building a giant space-going city & a lame attempt to tie-in with Stargate...

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your hired.

So...you wanted the Galactica to meet the Enterprise? :D

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/1062/daedalusinorbit.jpg

I was reading an interesting fan fic that went that crossed those two together
but like most of them on the site it was on it was posted as the writer did each chapter and it stopped getting updated a few chapters in
after 3 or 4 good stories doing that I stopped going to the site and don't even remember what the url is
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you figure that? The 12 Colonies seemed...

The fact they were 12 planets would have forced them to develop advanced spaceflight tech for trade.

Which they did of course. Imagine if Venus and Mars had other human civilizations on them, but peaceful... the space race would've likely continued until we had a cost-effective way to transport people and goods between our three worlds. But if there was little incentive to do more beyond just develop a few warships to keep the peace? Would we continue a rapid advance in that category? History says no... hell, our loss of interest in space since Apollo says no.

Their unique circumstances explain well their having advanced spaceflight and yet having many other technologies largely stagnant, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#35]
You know what I really want to know? What have the Red Stripes been up to for the last couple hundred thousand years?
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your hired.

So...you wanted the Galactica to meet the Enterprise? :D

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/1062/daedalusinorbit.jpg

For a short bit in the last episode, I thought they were going to do pretty much that (Starbuck is ascended, the BSG humans are the Ancients before the development of gate tech, and if we can just make BSG FTL tech work inside a ring on the planet's surface....

It would have been lame, but they could have...

With that said, if they had done exactly what you hinted (Had the BSG fleet jump in & be met by General O'Neil & a fleet of 304s), that might have been a little less lame (Hi, welcome to Earth... You can't stay here, but, we'll find a home for you somewhere... Oh, watch out for parasitic snakes & interstellar drug dealers who wear leather & fly pyramids - your ships won't last a minute in this galaxy... Oh, and Dr McKay would like to talk to you about your FTL drives)....

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#38]
They had some truly outstanding casting for that show.

I'd have married just about any woman on there.

Grace Park is just about the perfect specimen of oriental human, whoever played 6 is obviously a model, Starbuck, especially when she had short hair, is an equally perfect, drive me nuts specimen of the tomboy, and so on and so forth
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Grace Park is just about the perfect specimen of oriental human, whoever played 6 is obviously a model, Starbuck, especially when she had short hair, is an equally perfect, drive me nuts specimen of the tomboy, and so on and so forth

Ah 6 was a Playboy Playmate.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Hot damn, I did not know that. Thank you

Tricia Helfer is her name
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahem.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Up until they sent the fleet into the sun, I half expected them to start building a giant space-going city & a lame attempt to tie-in with Stargate...

To think that they could have rune'd my two favorite shows in one fell swoop!

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahem.  
IMDB.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Endings are hard.  That had to wrap it up somehow.  Actually, I think they did a decent job.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#45]
The Cylon's behavior was goofy.  If you can program a sleeper agent to flawlessly mock a human, why can't you program the reactivation sequence to avoid feelings of love for humans?

Many characters acted out of character too many times, after the first season it was clear they had no clue as to where they were going or how to wrap it up.

I would have had a hot chick named "Buffy the Cylon Killer" taking down the entire SkyNet/Cylon/Borg base ship with some of her teenage pals and a dadgum X-wing fighter.  That would have made as much sense as 90% of the last season.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 9:25:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think the perfect series finale would have been the season 4.0 last episode, Revelations

From wiki:

In the final scene of the episode, the Fleet jubilantly arrives at Earth. Adama announces to the Fleet that their journey is finally over. A party of humans and Cylons travels down to the surface, but are speechless when they arrive in the radioactive ruins of a developed city.

In fact this is how the series now ends, in my mind. Like the three Star Wars prequels, season 4.5 simply doesn't exist for me

IIRC, the series almost ended with that episode because of the writer's strike.

RM told a really funny story about how the production cast & crew thought they were all getting laid off when that happened.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And she had a modeling career for years before that.

And I finally agree with Dave_A about something:  most of the main female characters on BSG were pretty hot.  My favorites were Cally and "Racetrack".
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And I finally agree with Dave_A about something:  most of the main female characters on BSG were pretty hot.  My favorites were Cally and "Racetrack".

Cally was gorgeous in that dopey girl with bangs irresistible way, I can't remember who racetrack was.

The north african gal who married and then divorced apollo was really good looking too.

Grace Park was the 8/boomer/athena, and I think she's the very definition of a human being who rates a "10."

Caprica/6 is too.

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 11:13:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cally was gorgeous in that dopey girl with bangs irresistible way, I can't remember who racetrack was.

The north african gal who married and then divorced apollo was really good looking too.

Grace Park was the 8/boomer/athena, and I think she's the very definition of a human being who rates a "10."

Caprica/6 is too.

Racetrack (AKA Leah Cairns) was the fighter pilot who dethroned Starbuck as top-dog but then eventually killed herself (by going on those suicide missions with high levels of radiation) because she had apparently stolen someone's identity after the first Cylon attacks in order to get a fresh start on life and Starbuck was basically threatening to expose her.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Caprica/6 is too.

Racetrack (AKA Leah Cairns) was the fighter pilot who dethroned Starbuck as top-dog but then eventually killed herself (by going on those suicide missions with high levels of radiation) because she had apparently stolen someone's identity after the first Cylon attacks in order to get a fresh start on life and Starbuck was basically threatening to expose her.

ah yeah sort of a latino chick? she was cute too.

I'd kill people for grace park though.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top