Napoleon Dynamite lucky gif.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taking his class tomorrow and Friday.
View Quote
Post in here about it

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Do-we-like-competitive-shooting-Shooting-PCC-at-USPSA-matches-gets-me-grief/5-2683750/
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a good video

I was guilty of it without even realizing
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a good video

I was guilty of it without even realizing
View Quote
That's the point. Everyone needs this information so they can manage their expectations. If I had known this, I might have kept my red dot on my p365. Nah, I like to pocket carry it, but my other pistols with red dots, I'll have a better idea on how to handle them.
I also appreciate what he said about trigger control.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Great video.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Ok, I'll try.  The class is the 2-day Pistol Fundamentals class with Ben and Joel Park.  I will suggest picking up their Practical Shooting Training book. https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shooting-Training-Benjamin-Stoeger/dp/B08T43T7KM  There's lots of good information in there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Making the case for competition (training) over tactical bs classes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Tag for later. I’ve learned most of what I know from YouTube, Ben being the biggest part of it
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Ben and Matt probably post some of the best quality info out there right now, and they seem hell bent on doing it for free to push out shit instructors, legit golden days of training/info.

An entire 2 day (cut down to just the talking bits) of pistol and rifle from the two of them, for FREE, shit ton of info here.

Matt pranka and Ben stoeger carbine & pistol class June 2023
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Making the case for competition (training) over tactical bs classes.
View Quote

Yep.  That's where things are going.  Tactical and competition are currently in the process of merging somewhat.  My goal is practical shooting.  Whatever discipline gets me to where I need to be is fine with me.  I don't give two shits if it's tactical or competition.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYZjLIy487g
Good info on red dots.
Let the hate flow through you.
View Quote

I noticed I was doing that last year. It's been a struggle to fix it but now I'm only using wrong focus about half of the time.

I need to tape over the lens, but I keep forgetting my tape at the range.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Oddly enough, if you spend a fair bit of time running a shotgun you have a lot less problems with the visual aspects of pistol shooting...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ben and Matt probably post some of the best quality info out there right now, and they seem hell bent on doing it for free to push out shit instructors, legit golden days of training/info.

An entire 2 day (cut down to just the talking bits) of pistol and rifle from the two of them, for FREE, shit ton of info here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1peBVqGpk
View Quote

If you have the book I mentioned above and pair it with these videos (plus the one above), you'll be on your way to being a much better shooter.

FULL Class Video Ben Stoeger and Joel Park fundamentals July 2023

Ben Stoeger and Joel Park fundamentals 2023 1080p
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Oddly enough, if you spend a fair bit of time running a shotgun you have a lot less problems with the visual aspects of pistol shooting...
View Quote

Why is that? Target focusing or something else?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Tag because I can't watch this at work and I'm having trouble adjusting.  Hopefully, it will help...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#17]
So basically be focused on the target and build consistent presentation?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So basically be focused on the target and build consistent presentation?
View Quote

It's sometimes difficult to do that with a bright light in front of you. Some people lose the target focus when the dot is presented creating a mid-focus and still think they're focused on the target.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I took a Baer Solutions LVL 2 pistol class at Staccato Ranch on Sunday.  It was decent and I won the stress test at the end.  I can't wait for this class though.  This class is going to give me a years worth of homework.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Olde timey instructors that said you had to focus on your front sight ruined a lot of shooters that use dots.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
So are we just not going to address the fact his pistol was lacking irons? Does he teach to not use irons if you are running a rds? Irons are a part of the process.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So are we just not going to address the fact his pistol was lacking irons? Does he teach to not use irons if you are running a rds? Irons are a part of the process.
View Quote

Part of what process?  Shooting with a dot...no, they aren't
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Red dots aren't the Mt Everest people think they are.

I shot a two day class with one a few months ago, the thing was fantastic, previously I was only doing drills and what not, typical range training. It was fantastic to have the thing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Most people won't spend enough time in learning to use a red dot so, why bother?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

A part of what process?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bet that’s it. I did a skeet shooting event and was definitely in “rifle mode”. The guy running the station told me to “just hate the clay”.

It helped
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Part of what process?  Shooting with a dot...no, they aren't
View Quote

The process of shooting. Irons on your gun dot or not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Been meaning to send some slides into BattleWerks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weird, my handgun doesn't have a rear iron sight... I tend to shoot it just fine with a dot.

Seems like they're not really needed in the process of shooting.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Weird, my handgun doesn't have a rear iron sight... I tend to shoot it just fine with a dot.

Seems like they're not really needed in the process of shooting.
View Quote

Awesome. Glad it’s working out for you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Awesome. Glad it’s working out for you.
View Quote

It works fantastic :) I hope someday you learn how to not use irons too!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It works fantastic :) I hope someday you learn how to not use irons too!
View Quote

Been “not using” irons for more than a decade my guy. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, so what's the problem with him not having irons?  Is this a tactical-timmies thing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I couldn't tell you the last time I've seen my backup iron sights on my pistol.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Been “not using” irons for more than a decade my guy. Enjoy the rest of your day.
View Quote

But you said they were part of the process? How could you not be using them then?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I promise you, and I can't stress this enough, that if you contact him directly, or even make a comment on his Instagram, YouTube, X, whatever, he will gladly explain why his gun is set up the way it is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:55:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But you said they were part of the process? How could you not be using them then?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
I bet that’s it. I did a skeet shooting event and was definitely in “rifle mode”. The guy running the station told me to “just hate the clay”.

It helped

It's been so long since I shot a shotgun, I only remember a slight lead on the target and using a brass bead to do it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Bullseye shooters have been using red dots for 30+ years now all of the gun games have followed suit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I promise you, and I can't stress this enough, that if you contact him directly, or even make a comment on his Instagram, YouTube, X, whatever, he will gladly explain why his gun is set up the way it is.
View Quote

Absolutely will thanks. I truly appreciate people who will actively respond to comments. Thanks man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bullseye shooters have been using red dots for 30+ years now all of the gun games have followed suit.
View Quote

IPSC has been using them for 30+ too
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Tagscribed
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#42]
How can i know he's right if he didn't cite some academic studies and say things like "the angular velocity of your eccentrically contracting occular muscles obfuscates target focused acquistion of neutralizeable threats"???
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm pretty sure I understand what he is saying(to an extent) and I understand why it can be difficult.  But at the same time you can be "target focused" as you want but if that red dot isn't in your view you aren't going to be hitting it target if you aren't operating on form memory.  He didn't give any guidance on exactly what he means or what he wants you to do to improve. I have shot a lot of shotguns, a lot.  Is he talking about instinct shooting?  Where you aren't looking at the bead just the target?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Absolutely will thanks. I truly appreciate people who will actively respond to comments. Thanks man.
View Quote

And then he fails to respond to comments clarifying his...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And then he fails to respond to comments clarifying his...
View Quote

No man, just didn’t want to get into a pissing match with you. Not my thing. I am a terrible internet user.

My issue is when the dot goes down and not having irons.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:19:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure I understand what he is saying(to an extent) and I understand why it can be difficult.  But at the same time you can be "target focused" as you want but if that red dot isn't in your view you aren't going to be hitting it target if you aren't operating on form memory.  He didn't give any guidance on exactly what he means or what he wants you to do to improve. I have shot a lot of shotguns, a lot.  Is he talking about instinct shooting?  Where you aren't looking at the bead just the target?
View Quote

Did you watch the multiple videos that were posted?  Of course you didn't.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lmao
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No man, just didn’t want to get into a pissing match with you. Not my thing. I am a terrible internet user.

My issue is when the dot goes down and not having irons.
View Quote

Would have been way easier to say that than "it's part of the process of shooting"... we're still going to make fun of you, but now we don't think you're trying to somehow use your irons while using a dot
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm brain dead at the moment, but what's the point? Don't fixate on the dot? Even experts will struggle finding the dot quickly and that's the way it's supposed to be?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe in this particular case, he is talking about people who think they are "target focused" but are actually "dot focused".  thats why he mentioned looking for the dot, picking up the dot, etc.  If you are truly Target focused, and you have a good grip, the dot will come to you.  

its like this, look at the Arfcom logo in the upper left of your screen, put your mouse on it.  now look at your user name in the upper right.  move the cursor to you name.  did you have to look at the cursor the whole time?  did you have to look at how your hand moved the mouse?  No, because you are so practiced that you can just drag the cursor to your eyes.  do the same thing with your dot on target transitions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top