Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought this would be intuitive, but then I've been using red dots, a.k.a. reflex viewfinders, on my astronomical telescopes for about 35 years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm brain dead at the moment, but what's the point? Don't fixate on the dot? Even experts will struggle finding the dot quickly and that's the way it's supposed to be?
View Quote

It doesn't have anything to do with finding the dot. With a red dot, you should not be staring at the dot itself, but at the target. When the dot comes across the point you're staring at, pull the trigger.

If you stare at the dot, you're going to be sucked into your sight, and your transitions are going to be much slower. Your eyes should lead the dot, not the other way around.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Would have been way easier to say that than "it's part of the process of shooting"... we're still going to make fun of you, but now we don't think you're trying to somehow use your irons while using a dot
View Quote

Completely fair, I was being very vague. I still don’t understand the whole not using irons thing that a few think is comical. I have had my rds go down on more than one occurrence. Square range 15 yards? Who gives a crap you likely don’t need any sighting whatsoever depending on the accuracy needed of you shot. Trying to make a 50 yard shot with point shooting (or whatever the term du jour is)? ”Not going to happen.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The process of shooting. Irons on your gun dot or not.
View Quote
I still have irons. But you can get away without them if you have a dot. A few different methods if your dot fails. It works too. I've done it in a week long dot class.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Completely fair, I was being very vague. I still don’t understand the whole not using irons thing that a few think is comical. I have had my rds go down on more than one occurrence. Square range 15 yards? Who gives a crap you likely don’t need any sighting whatsoever depending on the accuracy needed of you shot. Trying to make a 50 yard shot with point shooting (or whatever the term du jour is)? ”Not going to happen.
View Quote

Or is it

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/n8plvVapBKA

no sights 8" plate 50 yards

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its a video from a big competition shooter turned trainer that is telling people they're not being target focused... you're the only bringing irons into this.

Also, plenty of people have had irons fail on them. How much time have you spent fretting over back up irons compared to time actually spent practicing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Weird, my handgun doesn't have a rear iron sight... I tend to shoot it just fine with a dot.

Seems like they're not really needed in the process of shooting.
View Quote

Mine doesn't have a front sight..

Our guns should get together.

Lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Simple analogous example is sit down at the computer.   Now continually stare at the mouse pointer while moving it across the screen, double points for watching it go across multiple monitors.  This little exercise will show focusing on the dot (mouse pointer) is painful and slow.

Look where you want the round to go, the dot will be there, just like driving a computer mouse.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Or is it

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/n8plvVapBKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8plvVapBKA

View Quote

That’s freaking awesome. Well beyond my pistol skills!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine doesn't have a front sight..

Our guns should get together.

Lol
View Quote

Did it throw it away in a fit of rage one night?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its a video from a big competition shooter turned trainer that is telling people they're not being target focused... you're the only bringing irons into this.

Also, plenty of people have had irons fail on them. How much time have you spent fretting over back up irons compared to time actually spent practicing?
View Quote

I have heard stories and seen pictures on the interwebs of irons failing but never seen it in person. So I have bias. I would l say I spend no time thinking about backup irons when shooting or going about my normal day. It was just an observation I had to the video.

I liked the video. I agree with the video. I have played the tape game both covering the rmr and on the target. Focusing on the dot will absolutely tunnel vision you on the dot hence being slower but also drastically cutting situational awareness for additional targets. Not focusing on the dot is more difficult that one would think. The only time I actively will focus on it is when taking long shots. Shout out to that 38 super dude.

I personally don’t train nearly as much as I should/want to. I wish I was a professional shooter or independently wealthy so I could spend my working hours training. But alas work and family are a thing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Red dots are terrible. Feel free to send me yours for proper disposal at no cost.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#13]
If your dot fails you have a few options.

1. point shoot.
2. use the dot window frame
3. put a dot on the rear of your slide and use that as an aiming point.

We are pretty amazing creatures. Especially our vision. That bino vision we have is neat and adapts to all sorts of things.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm brain dead at the moment, but what's the point? Don't fixate on the dot? Even experts will struggle finding the dot quickly and that's the way it's supposed to be?
View Quote

Focus on your target when shooting.  Not your optic/sighting system.  Sure you are using it to precisely hit the target.  However, if you find yourself "struggling to find the dot" or fighting your sights.  You're focused on them and not your target.

Focusing on your target is also a conscious part of shooting.  So don't feel bad if it doesn't feel second nature.

At least that's what I got out of it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I believe in this particular case, he is talking about people who think they are "target focused" but are actually "dot focused".  thats why he mentioned looking for the dot, picking up the dot, etc.  If you are truly Target focused, and you have a good grip, the dot will come to you.  

its like this, look at the Arfcom logo in the upper left of your screen, put your mouse on it.  now look at your user name in the upper right.  move the cursor to you name.  did you have to look at the cursor the whole time?  did you have to look at how your hand moved the mouse?  No, because you are so practiced that you can just drag the cursor to your eyes.  do the same thing with your dot on target transitions.
View Quote

That's something I noticed a few months ago when trying to fix my focus. If I put all my concentration on the target, the dot would get there faster and smoother than if I was partially focused on the target.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you have the book I mentioned above and pair it with these videos (plus the one above), you'll be on your way to being a much better shooter.

FULL Class Video Ben Stoeger and Joel Park fundamentals July 2023

Ben Stoeger and Joel Park fundamentals 2023 1080p
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ben and Matt probably post some of the best quality info out there right now, and they seem hell bent on doing it for free to push out shit instructors, legit golden days of training/info.

An entire 2 day (cut down to just the talking bits) of pistol and rifle from the two of them, for FREE, shit ton of info here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1peBVqGpk

If you have the book I mentioned above and pair it with these videos (plus the one above), you'll be on your way to being a much better shooter.

FULL Class Video Ben Stoeger and Joel Park fundamentals July 2023

Ben Stoeger and Joel Park fundamentals 2023 1080p

Thanks for posting these. So much crap on YouTube it is hard to find good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 8:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Very informative video as I contemplate transitioning to a RDO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#18]
My experience has been that the worse (or less experienced) a shooter is, the more they are enamored by what a red dot offers.

Because suddenly there is this easy button that addresses all these issues they were having but didn't know how to fix - sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control. A red dot basically takes two of those shooting fundamentals (sight alignment, sight picture) out of the equation. Most iron sight shooters on the square range will actually move their eye to the target, or a transitional point beyond the front sight but before the target, because they want to immediately know what the result of their trigger press was. So they miss the feedback from the true sight picture that would show their sight dipping low and left (right handed shooter) as they pull the trigger and before the bullet exits the muzzle. It is more difficult to miss the movement of the dot (unless you are closing your eyes, which plenty of new shooters do), and so they end up with better targets, especially at distances they used to struggle with, such as 10+ yards. And nearly all shooters can and do see improved scores at distance (10 + yards) by moving to an RDS on a gun.

I've now worked with a bunch of folks who have moved from iron to RDS on duty guns, and almost no one has improved on draw speed, near target acquisition, target transition, or a host of other skills relevant to shooting at closer distances. There are always a bunch of keyboard commandos who claim they have gotten better/faster, but I've got hundreds of hours on a PACT timer that indicates that it works the other way, and most people perform more poorly after the transition. Most of this has to do with proprioception and a drastically constrained viewing angle for dot alignment, compared to traditional iron sight alignment. You're basically going from probably 5+ degrees of permissible viewing angle to around 1 degree. I do think that reticles as opposed to dots, like with the new Trijicons, are likely to fix this for most shooters, as you gain back a bunch of degrees in viewing angle which thereby speeds up acquisition.

Anyway, to Ben's point, lots of people are improperly training with dots, cheered on by the Internet forums, and aren't addressing their shortcomings.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My experience has been that the worse (or less experienced) a shooter is, the more they are enamored by what a red dot offers.

Because suddenly there is this easy button that addresses all these issues they were having but didn't know how to fix - sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control. A red dot basically takes two of those shooting fundamentals (sight alignment, sight picture) out of the equation. Most iron sight shooters on the square range will actually move their eye to the target, or a transitional point beyond the front sight but before the target, because they want to immediately know what the result of their trigger press was. So they miss the feedback from the true sight picture that would show their sight dipping low and left (right handed shooter) as they pull the trigger and before the bullet exits the muzzle. It is more difficult to miss the movement of the dot (unless you are closing your eyes, which plenty of new shooters do), and so they end up with better targets, especially at distances they used to struggle with, such as 10+ yards. And nearly all shooters can and do see improved scores at distance (10 + yards) by moving to an RDS on a gun.

I've now worked with a bunch of folks who have moved from iron to RDS on duty guns, and almost no one has improved on draw speed, near target acquisition, target transition, or a host of other skills relevant to shooting at closer distances. There are always a bunch of keyboard commandos who claim they have gotten better/faster, but I've got hundreds of hours on a PACT timer that indicates that it works the other way, and most people perform more poorly after the transition. Most of this has to do with proprioception and a drastically constrained viewing angle for dot alignment, compared to traditional iron sight alignment. You're basically going from probably 5+ degrees of permissible viewing angle to around 1 degree. I do think that reticles as opposed to dots, like with the new Trijicons, are likely to fix this for most shooters, as you gain back a bunch of degrees in viewing angle which thereby speeds up acquisition.

Anyway, to Ben's point, lots of people are improperly training with dots, cheered on by the Internet forums, and aren't addressing their shortcomings.
View Quote

You may have hundreds of hours... but USPSA has thousands of classifiers and standards that show a dot helps even at close distances.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bet that's it. I did a skeet shooting event and was definitely in "rifle mode". The guy running the station told me to "just hate the clay".

It helped
View Quote

That's perfect.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Tagged for learning.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah I do this. Dammit I suck
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I noticed I was doing that last year. It's been a struggle to fix it but now I'm only using wrong focus about half of the time.

I need to tape over the lens, but I keep forgetting my tape at the range.
View Quote

I started “serious” training in the fall of ‘22 occluded and haven’t removed the cover since.  Works for me.

Stoeger really knows his shit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So are we just not going to address the fact his pistol was lacking irons? Does he teach to not use irons if you are running a rds? Irons are a part of the process.
View Quote

No they aren’t.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I believe in this particular case, he is talking about people who think they are "target focused" but are actually "dot focused".  thats why he mentioned looking for the dot, picking up the dot, etc.  If you are truly Target focused, and you have a good grip, the dot will come to you.  

its like this, look at the Arfcom logo in the upper left of your screen, put your mouse on it.  now look at your user name in the upper right.  move the cursor to you name.  did you have to look at the cursor the whole time?  did you have to look at how your hand moved the mouse?  No, because you are so practiced that you can just drag the cursor to your eyes.  do the same thing with your dot on target transitions.
View Quote

Exactly.

The dot will show up precisely where you’re looking.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah I do this. Dammit I suck
View Quote
Suck less.
That's Ben's point. You can't fix what you don't even know you're doing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Simple analogous example is sit down at the computer.   Now continually stare at the mouse printer while moving it across the screen, double points for watching it go across multiple monitors.  This little exercise will show focusing on the dot (mouse pointer) is painful and slow.

Look where you want the round to go, the dot will be there, just like driving a computer mouse.
View Quote

This is genius, awesome explanation and example.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It doesn't have anything to do with finding the dot. With a red dot, you should not be staring at the dot itself, but at the target. When the dot comes across the point you're staring at, pull the trigger.

If you stare at the dot, you're going to be sucked into your sight, and your transitions are going to be much slower. Your eyes should lead the dot, not the other way around.
View Quote

Exactly this.

That’s one of the reasons why turning up the brightness to where the dot is blooming is such a poor practice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

Correct your draw and presentation and your dot will be there every time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Simple analogous example is sit down at the computer.   Now continually stare at the mouse printer while moving it across the screen, double points for watching it go across multiple monitors.  This little exercise will show focusing on the dot (mouse pointer) is painful and slow.

View Quote

This is such a good explanation I’m stealing it for the next class I’m running.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#32]
About to head out for the class. woot!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do you think “viewing angle” makes any difference on an optic which is meant to be shot with both eyes open?

Bigger windows are easier to run at speed, but that has to do with keeping the dot captured under recoil.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So are we just not going to address the fact his pistol was lacking irons? Does he teach to not use irons if you are running a rds? Irons are a part of the process.
View Quote

I’ll address it:

Outside of providing redundancy irons are completely immaterial when using a dot. They’re not part of any process, like at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Most people won't spend enough time in learning to use a red dot so, why bother?
View Quote

If you’re happy wallowing in mediocrity, an optic is a poor choice for you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The process of shooting. Irons on your gun dot or not.
View Quote

I guess all the competitive shooters without irons on their gun are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How can i know he's right if he didn't cite some academic studies and say things like "the angular velocity of your eccentrically contracting occular muscles obfuscates target focused acquistion of neutralizeable threats"???
View Quote
When shooting, you must always take into account light, and ocular-oriented, kinetic, emotive, responses.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No they don’t.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#39]
As someone who tried dots and failed to adopt 5 years ago and now trying a dot again, that was a good watch.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
About to head out for the class. woot!
View Quote
Can't wait to hear how it went. I'll bet your going to have a blast, uh, I mean a good time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can't wait to hear how it went. I'll bet your going to have a blast, uh, I mean a good time.
View Quote

Ben’s class is absolutely superb and will probably open some eyes as to how you can change up your process.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

My bet is that the folks you work with who get worse times with a dot don't dry fire with it. This is my experience with dudes who use a duty gun.

Also I am a bit confused by the viewing angle thing. Both eyes open, target focused the dot just goes where you look and you can see everything. . Trying to use the dot like a scope is a disaster which is what most new dot shooters try to do even when told not to. Thats why the occluded dot is such a good training tool.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ben's class is absolutely superb and will probably open some eyes as to how you can change up your process.
View Quote
People talking about how much of an asshole he is made me do a little research. Yes, he has a humor that might put off some, but I find those people overly sensitive about stupid stuff. If something needs to be corrected, correct it and move on. No need to brood like an emo kid. I like the fact that he's like "here's what I've experienced. I've learned some stuff by making mistakes. Help me help you address those issues. Oh, and for free if you can't physically take a class or buy my book. Oh, and fuck off all you who abuse your privileges. I'll rag you until you can't wipe your ass without my voice in your head telling you to cut that shit out."
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I started “serious” training in the fall of ‘22 occluded and haven’t removed the cover since.  Works for me.

Stoeger really knows his shit.
View Quote

That's why he's one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
People talking about how much of an asshole he is made me do a little research. Yes, he has a humor that might put off some, but I find those people overly sensitive about stupid stuff. If something needs to be corrected, correct it and move on. No need to brood like an emo kid. I like the fact that he's like "here's what I've experienced. I've learned some stuff by making mistakes. Help me help you address those issues. Oh, and for free if you can't physically take a class or buy my book. Oh, and fuck off all you who abuse your privileges. I'll rag you until you can't wipe your ass without my voice in your head telling you to cut that shit out."
View Quote

Pretty much. I just think his humor doesn’t translate over to the internet well unless you know him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#46]
People asking all the wrong questions
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Did I make it before all the Dugan Ashleys of red dots?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Timely video on answering questions
Edit: beat like a ragged mule.
People asking all the wrong questions

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Great video OP. My older eyes don't work as well with irons so I've started using dots. I'm guilty of focusing on the dot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is such a good explanation I'm stealing it for the next class I'm running.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple analogous example is sit down at the computer.   Now continually stare at the mouse pointer while moving it across the screen, double points for watching it go across multiple monitors.  This little exercise will show focusing on the dot (mouse pointer) is painful and slow.

This is such a good explanation I'm stealing it for the next class I'm running.
Took a combat pistol training course about ten years ago using a G19 w/ RMR.  At the beginning of the class, one of the instructors said "by the end of the day, we'll have your rounds going wherever you look."

After a day of shooting four hundred rounds, in many different scenarios, it became instinctive, whether one in the class was using red dots or irons, and thoughtful aiming was not needed.  The human brain is capable of doing all the ballistic calculations, given enough repetitive practice.  

There in lies the key -- rounds down range, with a disciplined, building, regime in mind.  Going out on a Saturday and shooting a mag or two at a paper target at ten yards is a pretty much a waste of time for improving skill.

Training classes are incredibly beneficial, and for me, coupled with competition shooting every week in 3-gun and pistol steel matches, makes one a good pistolier.  

In the words of The Great One, "Aiming is useless."
AIMING IS USELESS! 3 Secrets To Great Shooting | Rob Leatham 6x IPSC World Champion!

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top