Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:43:58 AM EDT
[#1]
have one, luv it.  do it.  maybe m1017 is only thing slightly more cool.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not here to say whether you should or shouldn't buy one, that's completely up to you. However, I am here to shamelessly plug photos of my 14" M4 SBS to influence your decision.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5752/20708712654_e622e3d8e6_h.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5766/21339632771_29b0b8c16b_h.jpg
View Quote

Just when I thought I was content with what I had.

Dear goodness, that's the best looking shotgun I've ever seen. Wow. Beats everything by an absolute mile.

hnnnngg
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If you can deal with minor quality control issues, Remington Versa Max Tactical is an improvement upon M4 in every way:

No 922 issues to deal with
Higher capacity, 8 vs 7 (or 5 with the capped magazine)
Can take 3.5" shells
Feeds birdshot reliably
Even less recoil
No issues with the picatinny rail

and you can install Benelli m4 stock onto VMT, making it a Remelli (or Bemington) Supposedly the bolt fits as well.

Look at it this way, VMT can take 7 3" shells while M4 can take 7 2-3/4" shells, at best.

Now SBS M4 has absurdly low capacity.. .4+1+1, I don't think so. Shotguns already have very low capacity to begin with.

sure I would love to own an M4 but to me it's not worth more than about a grand which is what VMT goes for. M4 price is just pure politics, same reason HK91 goes for 3 grand.  Import problems and legal stuff and dealing with HK. It's really just a $900 piece at best IMO.

In the 3-gun scene, VMT is a lot more popular than M4, that tells you something.

Remelli - 9 round magazine upgrade, Comp M4,  and M4 fixed pistol grip stock.

VMT is at the top:

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 5:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I guess it's too late to recommend Freedom Fighter Tactical for a tube and your 922(r) parts...which reminds me, I have to order the same for my M2 3 Gun...which cost even more than the M4.
View Quote

FFT Forend, follower and disconnector.
Now it's compliant.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here's mine

http://i.imgur.com/pOK4IIT.jpg
View Quote

All right, who makes that rail?

I have the Surefire...but your's is way sexier.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I can see someone just starting out or only wanting a couple of guns but the "legit use" argument goes away after the first few firearms.

After that, its ALL novelty
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Benelli M4...Legit use or Expensive Novelty?

I can see someone just starting out or only wanting a couple of guns but the "legit use" argument goes away after the first few firearms.

After that, its ALL novelty

Shhhhh!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We've had a Benelli M4 on our range for OVER four years and not once has it gone offline from parts failure. We only get a maximum of two months out of our Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's and 590's and the old saying.. "you get what you pay for" is 100% true when it comes to the Benelli. BTW, our Benellli has tens of thousands of buckshot through it.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Once again, thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you can deal with minor quality control issues, Remington Versa Max Tactical is an improvement upon M4 in every way:

Higher capacity, 8 vs 7 (or 5 with the capped magazine)
Can take 3.5" shells
Feeds birdshot reliably
Even less recoil
No issues with the picatinny rail

and you can install Benelli m4 stock onto VMT, making it a Remelli (or Bemington) Supposedly the bolt fits as well.

Look at it this way, VMT can take 7 3" shells while M4 can take 7 2-3/4" shells, at best.

Now SBS M4 has absurdly low capacity.. .4+1+1, I don't think so. Shotguns already have very low capacity to begin with.

sure I would love to own an M4 but to me it's not worth more than about a grand which is what VMT goes for. M4 price is just pure politics, same reason HK91 goes for 3 grand.  Import problems and legal stuff and dealing with HK. It's really just a $900 piece at best IMO.

In the 3-gun scene, VMT is a lot more popular than M4, that tells you something.

Remelli - 9 round magazine upgrade, Comp M4,  and M4 fixed pistol grip stock.

<a href="http://s182.photobucket.com/user/dictum9/media/hardware/VM1_zps8b8simbf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/dictum9/hardware/VM1_zps8b8simbf.jpg</a>

VMT is at the top:

<a href="http://s182.photobucket.com/user/dictum9/media/hardware/versa_max_sling1_zps5wck854k.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x260/dictum9/hardware/versa_max_sling1_zps5wck854k.jpg</a>

View Quote

Will the Versa Max Tactical accept the M4 collapsible stock?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:20:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the M2 Tactical with a standard stock, fantastic shotgun, it will run any kind of load you put in it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
FN SLP and Beretta M4

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was just reading up on 922r .  What a fucking retarded rule..

Has anyone ever been prosecuted using it?  I wonder how many ignore it...
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was just reading up on 922r and how to get around it with the M4.  What a fucking retarded rule..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just reading up on 922r and how to get around it with the M4.  What a fucking retarded rule..

Most people don't even realize it applies; few of the 3 Gunners seem to know it applies (when increasing the mag capacity of an imported shotgun).

The problem isn't 922(r) in and of itself; it's a charge that will be added to the other charge(s) should something go awry.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Had one for years. Best semi-auto there is, IMO. It'll saw paper with slugs, smooth firing, strips like a dream, and you can't kill it. The only way it could be better is if it had a bayonet lug like my 590a1. Because nothing says "fuck you" like a knife on a shotgun.

Quoted:
View Quote

The Benelli 2-round extension tubes aren't marked in any way that would indicate who made them or where they are from. Nor are certain other parts.

Just saying.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#14]
THIS    

Quoted:
worth every penny
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm not here to say whether you should or shouldn't buy one, that's completely up to you. However, I am here to shamelessly plug photos of my 14" M4 SBS to influence your decision.

View Quote
What did you do to shorten the barrel and tube?

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:51:55 AM EDT
[#16]
It was a fun gun.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buck and slugs bounce off of people? What universe are you from, because that's not how this works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The round is pretty much useless. 12g is good for chipmunks and maybe a rat; but it would probably bounce off most people.
Buck and slugs bounce off of people? What universe are you from, because that's not how this works.

GD never fails to disappoint
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#18]
It can make life miserable for grapefruit size targets at 100yds with just the ghost ring sights and cheap foster slugs. Also, throws a better pattern with buckshot than the hunting shotguns I have owned.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#19]
The M4 is a great gun. Mine has worked flawlessly
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The round is pretty much useless. 12g is good for chipmunks and maybe a rat; but it would probably bounce off most people.

He hails from a universe with a sense of humor.Apparently,you don't.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It can make life miserable for grapefruit size targets at 100yds with just the ghost ring sights and cheap foster slugs. Also, throws a better pattern with buckshot than the hunting shotguns I have owned.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b285/williamN01/nellirmr1%20Small_zpsrq2ss0qx.jpg

View Quote

+1

Mine loves the Federal #1 with the flight control wad. GREAT patterns at long distances. Only problem is both Federal and Winchester #1 shells all seem to be out of spec for 2 3/4" lengthwise and thus you can't fit a full 7 in the tube, just 6. Remington #1s fit just fine though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I guess I'm the only one who's ever had one that broke.  They (Benneli) had problems with the op rods and gas blow blowing the rings and the barell. I blew mine up on a pheasant hunt.   Sent it back to Benelli, and they fixed it, and I got a new Bartell from them.   Bummer because the serial numbers don't match anymore.   But it's my favorite shotgun to hunt with.   Someone said it doesn't cycle birdshot very well, doesn't know what they are talking about.   It cycles everything and then some.  Like another said, I like to troll the trap shooters with mine also.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I am a shot gun guy

the mossberg 930 JMpro is a great option mine holds 12 rounds.  I would much rather have a master key but since that is even more updsurd than the M4

shotguns have a use.12 rounds of 00 buck 23/4" shells puts 108 35 caliber balls down range in about 4 sec. they are also good for hunting food, and are the choice for nonexplosive breaching by both the mil & police teams. so you don't half to take my word for it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]

They hate us cuz they ain't us
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Lot of derp and misinformation in this thread. I'm a FFL and I build M4's for clients frequently.

1. Carriercomp is still in operation. They often take around 6-7 months to fill an order. Used ones pop up once in a while and sell for a premium. This is a titanium magazine tube that cuts 5.5 ounces of weight off the front end of a medium weight shotgun. Freedom Fighter Tactical also makes a titanium tube but it is more expensive and not as nicely finished. Dave's Metal Works and a few other makers produce steel tubes.

2. 922(r) compliance is a thing on these shotguns. Most believe (no blanket ATF rulings just a few user inquiries) that the owner needs to add 3 or 4 US made parts to be in compliance. The reason 4 are needed is when the OEM collapsible stock is used since it counts against you for two Italian made parts. You can only replace specific parts to get your parts count. Here are your options;
1. US made trigger (FFT and Briley)
2. US made disconnector (FFT and Briley)
3. US made hammer (Geissele/FFT/Briley) Note: Geissele has been discontinued and is considered the best.
4. US made stocks (Mesa Tactical/ATI/Promag) These stocks are considered inferior in quality to the OEM units.
5. US made handguards (FFT/Surefire and a few other rail type companies)
6. US made magazine tube (Carriercomp/FFT/DMW)
7. US made magazine follower (carriercomp/FFT and various other makers)

3. The M4 in stock form is an incredibly reliable platform. You can candy cane various rounds and the ARGO system will adjust to them to effectively cycle the weapon. The only issues I have encountered are valuepack birdshot and handicapped loads. The system will function with a single piston in place so long as the broken piston doesn't jam the action (had this happen once.) One of my M4's has 14k+ rounds through it and it is still going strong. Aftermarket support for the platform is improving every year. The Ava Tactical light mounting solution is an incredible lightweight mounting option. There is no need to mount heavy rail systems. Scalarworks makes a beautiful top rail replacement that is cut to fit a Trijicon RMR at the proper sight plain. Taran Tactical Innovations has a host of upgrades available. Their shell elevator and bolt handles are top shelf.

Here are a couple I built. Both started out life as basic black models.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Then what is?  Serious question
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you buy a cheaper weapon that looks the same? Yes.
Can you buy a cheaper weapon that works the same? No. Also yes.

FIFY.  

The M4 isn't even the most reliable auto Benelli makes, let alone othe makers.

Then what is?  Serious question

Their inertia guns.  I don't care for them, but they just run and run and run.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lot of derp and misinformation in this thread. I'm a FFL and I build M4's for clients frequently.

1. Carriercomp is still in operation. They often take around 6-7 months to fill an order. Used ones pop up once in a while and sell for a premium. This is a titanium magazine tube that cuts 5.5 ounces of weight off the front end of a medium weight shotgun. Freedom Fighter Tactical also makes a titanium tube but it is more expensive and not as nicely finished. Dave's Metal Works and a few other makers produce steel tubes.

2. 922(r) compliance is a thing on these shotguns. Most believe (no blanket ATF rulings just a few user inquiries) that the owner needs to add 3 or 4 US made parts to be in compliance. The reason 4 are needed is when the OEM collapsible stock is used since it counts against you for two Italian made parts. You can only replace specific parts to get your parts count. Here are your options;
3. US made hammer (Geissele/FFT/Briley) Note: Geissele has been discontinued and is considered the best.
4. US made stocks (Mesa Tactical/ATI/Promag) These stocks are considered inferior in quality to the OEM units.

3. The M4 in stock form is an incredibly reliable platform. You can candy cane various rounds and the ARGO system will adjust to them to effectively cycle the weapon. The only issues I have encountered are valuepack birdshot and handicapped loads. The system will function with a single piston in place so long as the broken piston doesn't jam the action (had this happen once.) One of my M4's has 14k+ rounds through it and it is still going strong. Aftermarket support for the platform is improving every year. The Ava Tactical light mounting solution is an incredible lightweight mounting option. There is no need to mount heavy rail systems. Scalarworks makes a beautiful top rail replacement that is cut to fit a Trijicon RMR at the proper sight plain. Taran Tactical Innovations has a host of upgrades available. Their shell elevator and bolt handles are top shelf.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/BenelliM4/F139675E-C1BF-49E4-A4AB-36F12ED7BE39_zpsuavpp1h5.jpg

View Quote

I was waiting for you to educate this crowd.  As always excellent info.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate shotguns. The only one I own is an Benelli M4. I have a 14" barrel for it if I ever get it sbs'd. In the sbs model you get a 14" shotgun with 5 shells in the tube, one in the chamber and one ghost loaded. For certain roles that is a lot of boom in a compact package.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:49:58 AM EDT
[#30]
fuck benelli garbage
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I need to get mine painted.  Not sure who I would trust to not screw it up.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i was thinking the same thing. people say ignore it, but are they going to pay for my lawyer if i can in trouble? i know rare...but still
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last question, no, most people.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#34]
It's a legit shotgun but also a novelty.

If you like it, buy with confidence......but a rifle > shotgun in most instances.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yup. Built to be a military grade shotgun.

Sadly Remington no longer builds an 870 that will hold up in the long term.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We've had a Benelli M4 on our range for OVER four years and not once has it gone offline from parts failure. We only get a maximum of two months out of our Remington 870's and Mossberg 500's and 590's and the old saying.. "you get what you pay for" is 100% true when it comes to the Benelli. BTW, our Benellli has tens of thousands of buckshot through it.

V/R
Ron

Yup. Built to be a military grade shotgun.

Sadly Remington no longer builds an 870 that will hold up in the long term.

I think I've had better than average 590s issued and owned. They are not as rugged as an AR but they do handle sand, dust, and mud really well. A little lock tight on the ejector screw helps a lot.

I trust my 590a1 and never had a big problem with issued ones that were actually used for more than breaching. That being said a 1014 is a much better shotgun and semis make much better fighting guns in general
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's a legit shotgun but also a novelty.

If you like it, buy with confidence......but a rifle > shotgun in most instances.
View Quote

The 14" ones would make some pretty slick back county grizzly guns
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#37]
M4 porn...

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#38]
I have one, bought it on a whim. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it soon though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They're ESSTAC placards and they fit perfectly inside of M4 magazine pouches.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who made your shotshell caddy?

They look like the esstac/skd ones

They're ESSTAC placards and they fit perfectly inside of M4 magazine pouches.

Neat, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h417/Zzyzx313/BenelliM4/F139675E-C1BF-49E4-A4AB-36F12ED7BE39_zpsuavpp1h5.jpg

View Quote

Can I assume that since I bought my M4 as a factory SBS that I'm 922r compliant?  Only thing j replaced was the stock (factory collapsible from the factory pistol-grip fixed stock).
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:18:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I really like mine. It was worth the cost in terms of fit and finish, shoots everything I have stuffed in it except some rio target loads and is very soft on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quote: "Can I assume that since I bought my M4 as a factory SBS that I'm 922r compliant?  Only thing I replaced was the stock (factory collapsible from the factory pistol-grip fixed stock)."

IIRC, the SBS does not have 922r issues due to the five shell magazine (5+1+1 seven shot w/ ghost load).
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Can I assume that since I bought my M4 as a factory SBS that I'm 922r compliant?  Only thing j replaced was the stock (factory collapsible from the factory pistol-grip fixed stock).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen it argued both ways depending how paranoid/cautious the person is, particularly with a registered SBS. My default is to add the parts anyway since you'll end up with a better build in the end. Carriercomp makes a 5 round titanium tube that trims some weight and is impervious to corrosion. The titanium is more rigid than the factory steel ones. I watched a video of someone driving a truck over these titanium grade tubes without any denting or deformation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#44]
i have an m1014 which is very similar - for me and im not a shotgun guy, it was just so beautiful i had to have it.  with 9 rounds of 00 it isnt a 'bad' home defender but i would prefer a rifle nonetheless.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
isn't that illegal under 922?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
it's on my next to buy list maybe, but i don't like the non-adjustable stock and capped mag tube

removed the bullshit mag tube and replaced with a dave's metal work tube. problem solved.  The stock stock is ok with me.
isn't that illegal under 922?

there are folks who make replacement trigger parts, mag springs, mag spring buffers etc so you can meet the 10 part rule.   pita but doable.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Overpriced...  Remington VersaMax uses the exact same gas system and is half the price.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
M4 porn...

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20160514_142441_zpssjt63idp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20160514_142441_zpssjt63idp.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20160514_142508_zpsrgtrdcul.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20160514_142508_zpsrgtrdcul.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20140726_113855_zps8cbe7246.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20140726_113855_zps8cbe7246.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20161113_154610_zpsih8ba6eb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20161113_154610_zpsih8ba6eb.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/20161113_154626_zps1lozltxb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/20161113_154626_zps1lozltxb.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s921.photobucket.com/user/calviroman/media/M4S90/DSCN2875_zps4d3b46ec.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/calviroman/M4S90/DSCN2875_zps4d3b46ec.jpg</a>
View Quote

Ahhh, delicious!
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK , let me know who painted that.  I would like to give them a call.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I could do that after a 6 pack

Send her here
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Negative.

922 (r) is a provision under the FOPA 1986.  Just like 922 (o), the hughes amendment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So...  I pay $1700+ for the shotgun.

I then have to buy a new mag tube.

And then buy a new stock.

...just so I have a non-neutered version.

am I missing something?

922 came to life under billy the intern fucker if memory serves..  yes its stupid and many people ignore it.

Negative.

922 (r) is a provision under the FOPA 1986.  Just like 922 (o), the hughes amendment.

lol no
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top