Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's my Microtech for page 7 ownage.

Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:34:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Open the sproing knife up, put a dab of lithium grease on the spring, in the middle. Put it back together. No more sproing.
The sproing on OTFs is just that spring vibrating. The grease will damp it.
View Quote
Thanks I’ll give that a try.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It’s a Microtech Venomtech.  I have no idea if it’s still made/sold or not.

A few years back TN scrapped their stupid knife laws, and regular folks could finally carry an auto or a knife with a blade longer than 4”.

In true Arfcom fashion, I decided I would get both.  In one knife.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to that knife?
It’s a Microtech Venomtech.  I have no idea if it’s still made/sold or not.

A few years back TN scrapped their stupid knife laws, and regular folks could finally carry an auto or a knife with a blade longer than 4”.

In true Arfcom fashion, I decided I would get both.  In one knife.  
That is such a weird knife.  Even when it's "closed," it's still not closed.

And yes, they have clones of them on dhgate lol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not buying a counterfeit no matter how good a deal it seems.  Bad for the knife industry and hard working american business owners.  Even though Marfione is a design stealing ass hat.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Does anyone make a quality copy of the double edged knife in the pic above?
View Quote
that I don't know about. The double edge seem harder to come by. I am emailing with the guy at DHgate to see though
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got my dhgate Halo VI today in the sketchy pack o drug looking box lol. Looks and feels nice. Lockup is not 100% but pretty close. This has the button with safety which has to be pulled back before firing. It is a neat knife. The metal finish under the anodizing isn't the best as the two halves don't meet up seamlessly. But I like it and it is sharp.

I've also been very happy with my Lightning, zero issues. Just ordered another at $25.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/15354454894031121037827-653425.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/1535445518571-2103340606-653426.JPG
View Quote
@myfakename ha! your screen name is perfect for this thread. Anyway, what's the link to that one? I am liking single action more and more and the safety and fire button built into one looks nice. and I do love me some clone action.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not buying a counterfeit no matter how good a deal it seems.  Bad for the knife industry and hard working american business owners.  Even though Marfione is a design stealing ass hat.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Kind of related... anyone order a replica Rolex/Omega/Panerai watch off DH gate? I wouldn't mind a $4 rolex to wear as my knock around gym watch, but don't want to get into them if they are super cheesey.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Open the sproing knife up, put a dab of lithium grease on the spring, in the middle. Put it back together. No more sproing.
View Quote
Is it going to explode if I do that? Am I going to need three arms to put it back together?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@myfakename ha! your screen name is perfect for this thread. Anyway, what's the link to that one? I am liking single action more and more and the safety and fire button built into one looks nice. and I do love me some clone action.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got my dhgate Halo VI today in the sketchy pack o drug looking box lol. Looks and feels nice. Lockup is not 100% but pretty close. This has the button with safety which has to be pulled back before firing. It is a neat knife. The metal finish under the anodizing isn't the best as the two halves don't meet up seamlessly. But I like it and it is sharp.

I've also been very happy with my Lightning, zero issues. Just ordered another at $25.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/15354454894031121037827-653425.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/1535445518571-2103340606-653426.JPG
https://m.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-halo-vi-tactical-knife-4-4/416229390.html#pd-024
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Ost
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just received this exact knife purchased from reading this thread.

It's really nice quality and seems at least as nice as my HK OTF.

It's just 440c blade, not D2.

ETA:  I had a Lightning, and this knockoff is an order of magnitude nicer than the Lightning.
View Quote
Says fixed blade.  Is that an error?
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for putting me back on the path.
Though tempted, I am not going to do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just received this exact knife purchased from reading this thread.

It's really nice quality and seems at least as nice as my HK OTF.

It's just 440c blade, not D2.

ETA:  I had a Lightning, and this knockoff is an order of magnitude nicer than the Lightning.
Has to do with Chinese laws. Also pictures may be altered to cover up prohibited features.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aliexpress says "fixed" blade on a lot of their auto listings since autos are illegal most places.  They also Photoshop out the logos.  And for some reason, dhgate photoshops out the blood grooves and holes on the double edge blades lol

Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it going to explode if I do that? Am I going to need three arms to put it back together?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's a very simple mechanism. Really very easy. (But I also used to be a watchmaker.)

The HALO requires a trick with a wire hanger length, but double actions are easy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Aliexpress says "fixed" blade on a lot of their auto listings since autos are illegal most places.  They also Photoshop out the logos.  And for some reason, dhgate photoshops out the blood grooves and holes on the double edge blades lol

https://www.dhresource.com/600x600/f2/albu/g1/M00/8C/93/rBVaGVYx8K-ABvyWAARa_S-BTpc711.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.dhresource.com/600x600/f2/albu/g1/M00/8C/93/rBVaGVYx8K-ABvyWAARa_S-BTpc711.jpg
Yeah, I get a laugh out of them shopping the holes out.  The did the same thing on the listing for the knife I bought.  What the hell for?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No, it's a very simple mechanism. Really very easy. (But I also used to be a watchmaker.)

The HALO requires a trick with a wire hanger length, but double actions are easy.
View Quote
I'll give it a shot. In the interim I did drip some gun oil down the slot and it helped. I am curious to see the guts. Springs just aren't my favorite.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]
are any of these for lefties?  are the pocket clips reversible?  its hard to tell just by the pictures
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'll give it a shot. In the interim I did drip some gun oil down the slot and it helped. I am curious to see the guts. Springs just aren't my favorite.
View Quote
It isn't loose, there are two machined hooks attaching it and it's not under tension.

Oil will allow fluff, dust & sandy stuff to stick to the innards & gum it up. They're best left totally unlubricated. No lube = totally reliable as long as it's made right & you take reasonable care not to pour Coke in it.

I'll find a vid that shows the mechanism. It's really not scary.

ETA vid from Hollow Grind. Good guys, if you're buying some real knives, consider them.
Microtech Ultratech - Disassembly / Reassembly (A Hollow Grind Video)
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
are any of these for lefties?  are the pocket clips reversible?  its hard to tell just by the pictures
View Quote
Yes. Use a socket on the glass breaker.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#24]
@myfakename that came up as an error page for me. Who's the seller? I should be able to find it from there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#25]
So you guys are going to cost me money.

I'm going for one of the Microtech Cypher clones.

It's between the $70 D2, undetermined but positively reviewed Cypher:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/mgf-cypher-d-e-s-e-blade-out-the-front-combat/410372285.html?skuid=481260120317005828#s1-5-1;searl|1387310444

Or the well know, but $140 Vespa Cypher:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-vespa-version-cypher-folding/408637386.html?skuid=496026201698873354#ctabBox

Anyone have any good intel on the Cypher clones?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@myfakename that came up as an error page for me. Who's the seller? I should be able to find it from there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Seller: Allvin (Shenzhen Trade Company)

https://m.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-halo-vi-tactical-knife-4-4/416229390.html#pd-024

The link above worked for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
thanks, i think the first one was because I'm accessing a mobile link on a computer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
thanks, i think the first one was because I'm accessing a mobile link on a computer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  First link worked but was wonky, then quit working later.  Second link worked (still wonky cuz mobile), and I searched up the regular computer link with the info.

Desktop style:
https://www.dhgate.com/product/special-offer-halo-vi-tactical-knife-4-4/416229390.html#s1-0-1b;searl|3159123806
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because China!
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Little grease helped spring sound some.  Might try some more. Opened up the lightning and my 6 year old little girl helped me clean it out, sand down rough mating surfaces and wipe down with rem oil.  It functions much better now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#31]
@ShiftSix
What model number is that Microtech Cypher, specifically?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

...blood grooves...
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ok, fuller.  You feel better now?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 3:00:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

how i feel is irrelevant.  you just committed the edged weapon equivalent of "ghost gun that disperses 30 bullets in half a second".

so what matters is how you feel about that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@ShiftSix
What model number is that Microtech Cypher, specifically?
View Quote
Its a StormTrooper;  S/N 008

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#36]
And this is one of the crappy $20 clones
Fake Microtech Destruction Test 1: WIN (for the clone)

Good HD videos of some $50 combat troodons

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Well heck, ordered a couple from DHgate, we'll see how it goes!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#38]
The dudes on DHGate and Ali are probably wondering what their recent uptick in orders is all about.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Got my $49 dhgate executive scarab today.  I had extremely high expectations, and my expectations were exceeded in every category.  Fit & finish is almost flawless, blade fires and retracts like a rocket, no rattles or sproings or unwanted movement, locks up rock solid, blade is razor sharp.  I don't know if the blade is Elmax, but it looks and feels like some type of higher end steel.  Handle is definitely aluminum and not pot metal/zinc/Chinesium.  Other than the blade shape and markings not being 100% accurate, this thing is every bit as nice as the real deal.  I know it's basically just a fancy letter opener, but it's sooo much fun to play with.  I'll definitely be ordering a few more of these for Christmas gifts.

I seriously can't get over how nice the fit & finish is.  If you told me this knife was made in USA by some big company like Gerber, CRKT, Spyderco, Kershaw, etc. I would believe it and still be impressed.  This is by far the nicest machined item I've ever received from China.

Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#40]
This fella showed up this week. It's actually my 3rd Microtech. I had a Makora but I sold it after a few months because I was nervous about carrying or using a $400 knife. I regret that decision now because that thing was sweet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've been carrying this thing for a couple of years now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Got my $49 dhgate executive scarab today.  I had extremely high expectations, and my expectations were exceeded in every category.  Fit & finish is almost flawless, blade fires and retracts like a rocket, no rattles or sproings or unwanted movement, locks up rock solid, blade is razor sharp.  I don't know if the blade is Elmax, but it looks and feels like some type of higher end steel.  Handle is definitely aluminum and not pot metal/zinc/Chinesium.  Other than the blade shape and markings not being 100% accurate, this thing is every bit as nice as the real deal.  I know it's basically just a fancy letter opener, but it's sooo much fun to play with.  I'll definitely be ordering a few more of these for Christmas gifts.

I seriously can't get over how nice the fit & finish is.  If you told me this knife was made in USA by some big company like Gerber, CRKT, Spyderco, Kershaw, etc. I would believe it and still be impressed.  This is by far the nicest machined item I've ever received from China.

https://i.imgur.com/QVlHdUr.jpg
View Quote
It's not Elmax, it's Chinese D2. It will rust like D2, so keep it wiped down. The only fakes that actually use the steel they're marked with are the Vespa made fakes.
It isn't "as nice as the real deal," but it's a decent quality fake. They use the same bafflingly slippery anodize on the handles all the fakes use, no fuller on the blade, lower quality steel, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's not Elmax, it's Chinese D2. It will rust like D2, so keep it wiped down. The only fakes that actually use the steel they're marked with are the Vespa made fakes.
It isn't "as nice as the real deal," but it's a decent quality fake. They use the same bafflingly slippery anodize on the handles all the fakes use, no fuller on the blade, lower quality steel, etc.
View Quote
Way to burst my bubble

You gotta admit, for 1/10th the price, it's hella nice
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Fuck!!  Now I'm getting antsy waiting for my Ultratech. Hong Kong post was the last tracking update.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fuck!!  Now I'm getting antsy waiting for my Ultratech. Hong Kong post was the last tracking update.
View Quote
If you plug that HK post tracking number into USPS.com, it will give you updates.

Mine shipped August 27 and arrived September 4.  7 business days from the other side of the world isn't too shabby.  Hell, I've waited 20+ days on a FedEx SmartPost shipment from MidwayUSA before.

Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you plug that HK post tracking number into USPS.com, it will give you updates.

Mine shipped August 27 and arrived September 4.  7 business days from the other side of the world isn't too shabby.  Hell, I've waited 20+ days on a FedEx SmartPost shipment from MidwayUSA before.

https://i.imgur.com/1rMeB5p.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks. Still no updates but it left Hong Kong, maybe it went by boat lol. Meanwhile, I just bought a fake Rolex Sea Dweller from dhgate
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks. Still no updates but it left Hong Kong, maybe it went by boat lol. Meanwhile, I just bought a fake Rolex Sea Dweller from dhgate
View Quote
Ha, me too (GMT-Master II though) and still waiting for my Infidel knock-off. Ordered about 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Got the micro knockoff from dhgate in.  Way better fit, finish and operation than lightning. Pretty impressed for sub $50 knife.

ETA. Really makes lighting look and feel like waste of money.

ETA2. Shipped 28th and arrived today 5th.
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ha, me too (GMT-Master II though) and still waiting for my Infidel knock-off. Ordered about 2 weeks ago.
View Quote
Let me know what you think when it comes in
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a professional watchmaker for many years. There are really, really good fakes out there now.
(But you probably aren't going to get one of the really good ones from DHgate.) Let us know what you get.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#50]
My Halo clone shipped on the 23rd of August and got here today. Excellent quality. No blade wiggle in any direction. Nice and sharp.  A little slower firing than I'd expected - it has recoil but I don't think I'd end up in the emergency room if it was pressed to my leg.

Got a screwdriver with it that can take down my Paladin. Took it apart and I'm not seeing any particular issues with it that would make it fail to lock open. Any fans of OTF knives have any ideas how to repair this thing?

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top