Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody wanna buy my halo clone to play with? I wanna free up the money to get a Troodon clone
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Halo clone shipped on the 23rd of August and got here today. Excellent quality. No blade wiggle in any direction. Nice and sharp.  A little slower firing than I'd expected - it has recoil but I don't think I'd end up in the emergency room if it was pressed to my leg.

Got a screwdriver with it that can take down my Paladin. Took it apart and I'm not seeing any particular issues with it that would make it fail to lock open. Any fans of OTF knives have any ideas how to repair this thing?

http://i68.tinypic.com/k1pi5y.jpg
View Quote
If it fails to lock open, those little sears (the rectangular things you took out) aren't closing fully. I only see one spring for a sear in the pic though. make sure those sears are moving freely and reassemble it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do the sears go? How do they get reassembled? I opened the knife and everything was just a jumble inside even before I poured it out on the table. There was only one small spring in the knife, aside from the springs on the sled.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The other spring fell into a little tumbleweed of GSD hair. I have two springs. How do they go together?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ordered a Cypher clone...
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where do the sears go? How do they get reassembled? I opened the knife and everything was just a jumble inside even before I poured it out on the table. There was only one small spring in the knife, aside from the springs on the sled.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: The other spring fell into a little tumbleweed of GSD hair. I have two springs. How do they go together?
View Quote
There is a YouTube video showing a guy taking one (or a clone) apart and it shows where all the parts go.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 1:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
For those of you that commented on not getting the Zinc/aluminum as opposed to the aluminum, what is the difference?

Wear, weight, reliability?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 4:56:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

View Quote
And that's why Microtech voids their warranty for disassembly.

Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And that's why Microtech voids their warranty for disassembly.

View Quote
The Halo I got is perfect. No plans to disassemble.
The Andy Paladin is the one with trouble, and from my research doesn't appear to be a clone of anything.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's not Elmax, it's Chinese D2. It will rust like D2, so keep it wiped down.
View Quote
It doesn't seem too bad.  As soon as I got it, I took all the oil off and left it bone dry.  Been carrying it and rubbing my greasy fingerprints all over it for the past 3 days, and it still looks like a mirror.  And the humidity has been around 80% all week.

Link Posted: 9/7/2018 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It doesn't seem too bad.  As soon as I got it, I took all the oil off and left it bone dry.  Been carrying it and rubbing my greasy fingerprints all over it for the past 3 days, and it still looks like a mirror.  And the humidity has been around 80% all week.

https://i.imgur.com/Q7IsFXb.jpg
View Quote
Just know that it will behave like D2, if they're still using D2 on those. It could be 440 now, for all I know. they're fakes, they can use anything.
D2 isn't awful for rust, but it's not Elmax. You won't have to have it soaked in oil, just keep it wiped down. It was just a heads up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

View Quote
I'm not familiar with that particular knife, but there's no room in any of the others to fall out in a jumble, you have to deliberately remove the sears, they're in there under spring tension.  Tweezers will help with reassembly.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not familiar with that particular knife, but there's no room in any of the others to fall out in a jumble, you have to deliberately remove the sears, they're in there under spring tension.  Tweezers will help with reassembly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

I got it back together with the sears held in place by spring tension along the sides of the body of the knife, on either side of the sled. Put the knife back together and there's no spring tension load on the blade, either firing or retracting.

I looked on YouTube for Andy Paladin take apart, fix, and disassembly. To the guy who said there was a video, could you shoot me a link? Or the search terms? I'm not finding it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I got it back together with the sears held in place by spring tension along the sides of the body of the knife, on either side of the sled. Put the knife back together and there's no spring tension load on the blade, either firing or retracting.

I looked on YouTube for Andy Paladin take apart, fix, and disassembly. To the guy who said there was a video, could you shoot me a link? Or the search terms? I'm not finding it. Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It isn't loose, there are two machined hooks attaching it and it's not under tension.

Oil will allow fluff, dust & sandy stuff to stick to the innards & gum it up. They're best left totally unlubricated. No lube = totally reliable as long as it's made right & you take reasonable care not to pour Coke in it.

I'll find a vid that shows the mechanism. It's really not scary.

ETA vid from Hollow Grind. Good guys, if you're buying some real knives, consider them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tb2fbgllI4
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All the suggestions of garbage China knockoffs is disgusting.
View Quote
This.

The Chinese are thieves and buying their garbage is supporting thievery.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
Charging $500 for something that other people only charge $50 for isn't thievery?
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote
There is a gap in the market between the high end domestic and the junk they are filling.

Someone putting out domestic product of similar quality would sell like crazy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Someone putting out domestic product of similar quality would sell like crazy.
View Quote
This same exact knife with Gerber, CRKT, Spyderco, Kershaw, etc. stamped on it would sell like hotcakes for $99-$199. But I'd rather just keep ordering them from China for $49.

Or you can pay $450 more for one that comes from an American factory with a matte finish, a laser engraved serial number, and a limited lifetime warranty they won't honor lol.

Dhgate Microtech Executive Scarab OTF Clone - 3.5" Drop Point
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Dhgate coupon code for $4 off $80 order - uptwo8
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm not "Tier 1"...

I'm not an Operator.

I'm not buying a tool that I will gamble my life upon. Or the lives of my teammates.

I'm a bored "blue collar executive" buying a novelty letter opener that will mostly occupy desk space in my office.

YMMV, of course...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It isn't loose, there are two machined hooks attaching it and it's not under tension.

Oil will allow fluff, dust & sandy stuff to stick to the innards & gum it up. They're best left totally unlubricated. No lube = totally reliable as long as it's made right & you take reasonable care not to pour Coke in it.

I'll find a vid that shows the mechanism. It's really not scary.

ETA vid from Hollow Grind. Good guys, if you're buying some real knives, consider them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tb2fbgllI4
Didn't see that video the first time. Finally got the knife fixed. The sears were in backwards. There's a slot cut in the sears and what looks like a divot machined for the spring to fit in. If you assemble it with the spring in the divot, and the slot towards the front of the knife, it still stops the blade if you manipulate it manually. If you screw it together, it behaves just like it did when I got it. If you assemble it with the slot backwards, and the spring not in the divot drilled for it, the knife works perfectly.
Not as much of a fan of this one as I am of the Halo. The blade has a bit of wiggle to it. I'm thinking of getting an Ultratech or Troodon clone. Hopefully they'll be a bit better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#21]
The cncostco troodon clones are excellent.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:04:29 AM EDT
[#22]
My knife from fasttech just came in today, took a little more than 2 weeks I think. I’ve never handled a micro tech and thought this would be just a otf knife that “borrowed” styling cues to the microtech otf. Little did I know when it came in it had micro tech printed on the knife and on the pocket clip! Didn’t realize I was buying a replica Bc the site had zero pictures of any markings.

The action is super quick, takes a good bit of effort to make it deploy/retract, so it’s not going to happen by accident. Comes with a nylon belt holster also! But the knife doesn’t come sharp out of the box, so I’ll have to sharpen it tomorrow.

So here’s what you get for 26 bucks!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Once it’s sharp, it won’t be bad for the price paid, I stabbed my work bench, with zero issues. My dhgate knife should be in tomorrow to compare the two.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#23]
The dhgate ultratech came in today. It’s a lot lighter than the one that came in from fasttech. Less “twang” when it deploys also. Similar amount of effort, if anything, this one is a little easier. Like the fasttech, neither of them came sharp. Almost butter knife dull on both. I used my cabela’s electric knife sharpener on both of them just to get a usable edge on them for the time being, till I can get some stones to see if I can get it better.

On to the pics!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The sheath/holster that it comes with is crap btw. Good enough to hold it onto a bag but any abuse and the seams will probably rip. I can see the threading if I tug on it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice!  My latest update shows my knife finally in LA, scheduled for delivery on the 20th.  Waaaaaay slower than my Halo took.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice!  My latest update shows my knife finally in LA, scheduled for delivery on the 20th.  Waaaaaay slower than my Halo took.
View Quote
FASTTECH knife took ~3 weeks to arrive, the DHgate took about 10 days.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#26]
this thread reminded me I wanted to sell my real ultratech and one of the clones, and buy a real combat troodon. should have it end of next week :)

kinda of related... anyone get inspired by DHgate deals to get a rolex or similar?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Halo took 14 days.
Ultratech will be a month and 2 days, both from dhgate.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
kinda of related... anyone get inspired by DHgate deals to get a rolex or similar?
View Quote
Not a watch guy but I did get one of the $30 Andy Frankart SFK clones.  Just as good as the real thing.

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The dhgate ultratech came in today. It’s a lot lighter than the one that came in from fasttech. Less “twang” when it deploys also. Similar amount of effort, if anything, this one is a little easier. Like the fasttech, neither of them came sharp. Almost butter knife dull on both. I used my cabela’s electric knife sharpener on both of them just to get a usable edge on them for the time being, till I can get some stones to see if I can get it better.

On to the pics!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/159941/3717DD8E-4A17-47E4-B162-4B243E4D741F-672229.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/159941/B3442C8F-2487-41BD-A9A9-923BA133BBBC-672230.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/159941/F03BC81F-5662-477D-822C-5550DA2F822D-672231.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/159941/9699596B-166C-4AAF-B4D1-B3DECB18D9FB-672232.JPG

The sheath/holster that it comes with is crap btw. Good enough to hold it onto a bag but any abuse and the seams will probably rip. I can see the threading if I tug on it.
View Quote
@Gdirty5
You have a link to that one?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@Gdirty5
You have a link to that one?
View Quote
here ya go bud!

@Gunslinger808
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Thank you, I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#34]
On Friday I got the BM Infidel knock-off I ordered 8/24. It's about what I expected. The action seems very strong and has minimal wiggle. The clip is very tight and the blade was not sharp, but that is easy enough to correct.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#35]
My Cypher clone is waiting on me at home...
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anyone make a quality copy of the double edged knife in the pic above?
This is the closest clone of that exact knife

https://m.dhgate.com/product/mgf-micro-ultratech-ut-122-1sl-out-the-front/425035620.html?invitorid=zq2Mva1b

The blade you receive will have fuller and holes like the original, they just Photoshop them out for some reason.  And most of them only come with polished blades instead of satin or stonewashed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#37]
The microtech clones are pretty shameless. All the way down to the packaging. "Made in the USA"!
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Got my Cypher clone in from here:
https://www.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-mt-cypher-cnc-machined-d2-blade/413003882.html

It's very nice, matte anodizing, edge was the best I've seen on a chinese knife out of the box.
It is a flat grind instead of a hollow grind, but that was expected.  As has been noted before on most of these, it's a D2 blade, so I'll keep an eye on it.
The springs are fairly heavy, but I think it's got dual springs, and it fires nice and hard.
There is blade play, but very little, it's certainly no rattle-trap like the Lightning.
It is large, but thin enough not to be obtrusive.

Ultimately I'm very happy for $60, and I got it in 10 days

Leek for comparison:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 8:32:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Reading all the chatter on the subject sparked my curiosity, so I ordered a Combat Troodon Clone from Dhgate.  Supposed to be D2 Steel with  6061 handle, overall I am extremely happy with the result.  Here is a photo review:

Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Fuck!!  Now I'm getting antsy waiting for my Ultratech. Hong Kong post was the last tracking update.
View Quote
WUT? ultratechs come from hong kong? had to...

strange how the "best OTF auto knife" thread turned into Chinese copy thread.
all your fakes are belong to …

imagine what this site would be like if we could buy norinco CAR's

laugh, it was meant that way, even though I don't agree with the "as good as" in this case at all. the thread direction.
not the quoted person, the whole thing in general.

off to Walmart to buy a fake can cooler from Ozark, I mean yeti
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
off to Walmart to buy a fake can cooler from Ozark, I mean yeti
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#42]
For those of you who can't stomach Chinese, I've had an AKC F16 for a few months with no problems.  BladeHQ sells out quickly after getting them in stock, if that means anything.  Not tacticool, but affordable and the blade has no wobble.  I have a lightning that gets abused because it rattled since day one, but the F16 is part of the edc rotation.
In full disclosure, I will be pursuing a Chinese microtech.  Halo 6 or Ultratech.  Always loved the look of a Halo, but single action is such a stupid idea... Like a sports car without reverse... Hmmm...
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Got my Cypher clone in from here:
https://www.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-mt-cypher-cnc-machined-d2-blade/413003882.html

It's very nice, matte anodizing, edge was the best I've seen on a chinese knife out of the box.
It is a flat grind instead of a hollow grind, but that was expected.  As has been noted before on most of these, it's a D2 blade, so I'll keep an eye on it.
The springs are fairly heavy, but I think it's got dual springs, and it fires nice and hard.
There is blade play, but very little, it's certainly no rattle-trap like the Lightning.
It is large, but thin enough not to be obtrusive.

Ultimately I'm very happy for $60, and I got it in 10 days

Leek for comparison:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/3-675215.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/2-675216.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/1-675217.JPG
View Quote
Turns out this particular Cypher clone has a single spring, but it's stiff.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally!

Really nice action, blade needs to be sharpened but I like it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Fire and retract it a couple hundred times and it'll get even better.

Then spray a couple squirts of WD40 inside and it'll get reallyyyyyy smooth.  I know the thought of WD40 on a knife probably makes the rabid blade collectors have a seizure, but I saw several different youtube videos where people sprayed it in their real deal genuine (brand new shitty broken) $500+ Microtechs to fix them, so I did it and it helped a lot.

Microtech sticky blade fix #2

Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:52:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Both videos illustrate nicely why you should never spend $500 on a knife.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is the closest clone of that exact knife

https://m.dhgate.com/product/mgf-micro-ultratech-ut-122-1sl-out-the-front/425035620.html?invitorid=zq2Mva1b

The blade you receive will have fuller and holes like the original, they just Photoshop them out for some reason.  And most of them only come with polished blades instead of satin or stonewashed.
View Quote
Does anyone have one of these 122 clones in hand yet?
i'm wanting to pick up an ultratech clone and prefer the textured model.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/mgf-micro-ultratech-ut-122-1sl-out-the-front/425035620.html#s1-1-1b;searl|0514997502
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#48]
You guys suck and cost me money.

Dang it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You guys suck and cost me money.

Dang it.

View Quote
This site has cost me a bunch of money

I just ordered a set of diamond hones to sharpen the D2 steel blades.....and I ordered a Combat Troodon clone
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Both videos illustrate nicely why you should never spend $500 on a knife.....
View Quote
But think of all the R&D!
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top