Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who doesn't remember this final boss fight, from before it was called a boss fight, and his final words?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHPuTriQqw
View Quote
That whole game is playable inside of the new Wolfenstein game
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Halo’s story (pre-annoying transformer things)
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Final Fantasy VII.
View Quote
You don't know about Knights of the Round.

FFX was great too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Came to post this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I enjoy the Metal Gear Sold series story arc.
Came to post this.
Great story, but to me it got bloated with the Raiden character.  It seemed to lose some of its purity with him.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Who doesn't remember this final boss fight, from before it was called a boss fight, and his final words?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlHPuTriQqw
View Quote
I remember, its been over 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Half Life, of course
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Zelda Ocarina of Time and Zelda Twlight Princess both have awesome stories.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Star Wars KOTOR was an amazing storyline
I enjoyed Halo 1-3 and Reach, 4 and 5's storylines sucked
I also enjoyed Castlevania Symphony of the night
Resident Evil 3 is special to me as it was my first RE game played
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
horizon: zero dawn
View Quote
this right here
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Golden Sun 1 and 2 had awesome stories as well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#11]
OG: metroid, Zelda, Castalevania and Mega Man.

Newer: StarCraft, Last of Us, Starcraft, Modern Warfare 2, StarCraft, Warcraft.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#12]
"Bang, your dead Max Payne"

Probably one of the best "original" stories ever. The Norse Mythology was great.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#13]
When I met a deaf stripper.

https://youtu.be/hg8kbL4HRWY
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Portal and bioshock were my favs.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Warcraft 3 and WoW had a killer story through the end WotLK.  It got stupid after that.

FFX and Metal Gear to echo what others have said.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Zelda
Earthbound
Assassians creed black flag
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Hate stories in video games.  Absolutely despise what video games have now become.   "Interactive media" is what they are now called and it's always some cheesy B movie type stuff.  If I want a good story I'll read a book or watch a classic film.   Video game should be just that....games!

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Ravenhold from half life and pretty much the entirety of the dead space series had fantastic ambiance and I really enjoyed them.  Obviously the bioshock series.

One of my fondest memories of video games is the old Myst game on PC.  Not only was it cutting edge beautiful at the time but as a very young me I remember being completely immersed in the puzzles and story line as I jumped between the ages using the books and listening to the two sides of the story from the guys that were stuck in them.

The original silent hill turned the hardware limitation on itself with the fog and used audio with fantastic results.

Finally Fallout vaults.  Every time I found a new one, I couldn't wait to see what was inside and what it's personal story was and how that had  unfolded while it was completely cut off from the rest of the world for so long. Finding a new audio log in one was like a present on Christmas morning .
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hate stories in video games...absolutely despise that games have now become "interactive stories".  Always some cheesy B movie type stuff as well.  If I want a good story I'll read a book or watch a classic film.   Video game should be just that....games!

http://spyhunter007.com/Images/video_game_arcade2.jpg
View Quote
You are missing a lot, there is some fantastic story telling in the right games, very much more so than some modern movies like "Super avengers 8787" or "Vin diesel drives more cars and says stupid shit number 78".

Some of these listed in the thread are more accurately described as an experience than a "game". A good game is simply a different medium for telling a story, the story is sometimes the best part of the game.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Planescape Torment was by far my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Story? Mass Effect.
View Quote
Oh yeah....the FPS game that's 90 percent cut scenes, 5 percent battle, and 5 percent trying to get your character laid.

Mass Effect is the very reason why I prefer games that don't have cut scenes.

Even the DEMO was awful.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hate stories in video games.  Absolutely despise what video games have now become.   "Interactive media" is what they are now called and it's always some cheesy B movie type stuff.  If I want a good story I'll read a book or watch a classic film.   Video game should be just that....games!

http://spyhunter007.com/Images/video_game_arcade2.jpg
View Quote
lol, you are so wrong man
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Uncharted series and God of War series.

Those games brought me out of a gaming drought.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:56:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Zelda
Earthbound
Assassians creed black flag
View Quote
Oh yea, black flag was awesome
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh yea, black flag was awesome
View Quote
It's free to download from ubisoft starting the 12th, I made a thread about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are missing a lot, there is some fantastic story telling in the right games, very much more so than some modern movies like "Super avengers 8787" or "Vin diesel drives more cars and says stupid shit number 78".

Some of these listed in the thread are more accurately described as an experience than a "game".
View Quote
I feel as if modern video game stories follow suite to modern movies.  Cutscenes with explosions, loud noises, low IQ summer blockbuster stuff just with even worse acting, scene editing, directing than a movie.   Then there are the Japanese story games that are so bizarre I can't even comprehend why westerners have an interest in them.  Just give me an SNES with Super Smash TV and I'm happy.   I'm old I guess lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's free to download from ubisoft starting the 12th, I made a thread about it.
View Quote

You're good people.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Planescape Torment was by far my favorite.
View Quote
Came in here to post this. No game comes close in terms of originality, dialog depth, and thought provoking themes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#29]
The whole Uncharted series and  all the Assassin's Creed with Ezio.
I like the Dead Space series a lot too. The 2nd one was really good.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Only Fallout nerds will know this one.

The mini story of Randall Clark, the Survivalist, from New Vegas' Honest Hearts DLC. You learn about him through terminal entries and holotapes. You never actually meet him. For some reason, his story always stuck with me over everything else in New Vegas.
View Quote
You do meet Randall Clark, though. He's dead, but you find his skeleton and rifle.

NV had some great stories though. The jaunt from Nipton to New Vegas is one of my favorite segments of any game- I always mod spawns to be about 5 times more intense and 20 times the number of ghouls and have a crazy war. By the time I make it to the dry lake, I've got about 50 giant ants and at least a squad of legion assassins chasing me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:03:29 AM EDT
[#31]
The Last of Us and Max Payne
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I feel as if modern video game stories follow suite to modern movies.  Cutscenes with explosions, loud noises, low IQ summer blockbuster stuff just with even worse acting, scene editing, directing than a movie.   Then there are the Japanese story games that are so bizarre I can't even comprehend why westerners have an interest in them.  Just give me an SNES with Super Smash TV and I'm happy.   I'm old I guess lol
View Quote
I agree that there are plenty of games like that, but look at some of the games posted here and you'll find stories that rival good movies or books.   My wife loves watching me play the Witcher because shes so wrapped up in the story, shes not really a gamer at all
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Any of the Souls games and Eve.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Metal Gear Solid 2

I need scissors 61 colonel call
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:08:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Uncharted series and God of War series.

Those games brought me out of a gaming drought.
View Quote
Uncharted is great.....even the new one with Chloe
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You do meet Randall Clark, though. He's dead, but you find his skeleton and rifle.

NV had some great stories though. The jaunt from Nipton to New Vegas is one of my favorite segments of any game- I always mod spawns to be about 5 times more intense and 20 times the number of ghouls and have a crazy war. By the time I make it to the dry lake, I've got about 50 giant ants and at least a squad of legion assassins chasing me.
View Quote
I should have clarified, you never actually interact or speak with him.

I did like how it more or less forced you around the map like that. I tried going direct north and that always ended about as well as you can guess. Nipton was a good intro for the Legion, always made me wish i could tell Vulpes Inculta that I would be taking his hat off his stupid dead head eventually.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:11:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Resident Evil 4, the whole think.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You don't know about Knights of the Round.

FFX was great too.
View Quote
Cast KotR... go make lunch... come back to see my x2 materia cast it a 2nd time... go clean up lunch... 30min later time for next move LOL
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of these listed in the thread are more accurately described as an experience than a "game".
Some are that way....some are very immersive and quite good.

You need to try The Last of Us and see if that does not change your opinion a bit
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cast KotR... go make lunch... come back to see my x2 materia cast it a 2nd time... go clean up lunch... 30min later time for next move LOL
View Quote
You ain't far from the truth lol

Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Some are that way....some are very immersive and quite good.

You need to try The Last of Us and see if that does not change your opinion a bit
View Quote
Maybe I'll check it out.  I do have a PS4 purchased new collecting dust :-/
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This was the first 3D game I played, this level was just awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsuMY9K9Zws

And those pointy boobs

View Quote
That was a great game period. Wasn't there a level where you explored Venice or was that Tomb Raider 2?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#43]
There are several from the Witcher 3 that were amazing

KOTOR still holds a place in my heart

Red Dead Redemption's main story, and especially the ending, were unexpectedly fantastic
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You ain't far from the truth lol

View Quote
I pre-ordered FFVII Remake. Amazon said itd be out Dec 31, 2017. Yesterday, they changed it to Dec 31, 2018.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I definitely need to replay some old games.  I've replayed FO3, FO:NV, FO4 and Half-Life numerous times, Portal/Portal 2 and Red Dead Redemption at least second time.

Maybe I will fire up Bioshock, Witcher 3 or something else from the old library up this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Bioshock was pretty damn awesome when it came out.

There was a computer game I played in the late nineties called Harvester that had an ending that really stuck with me.  Basically the whole game was training you to be a serial killer.

Of those already mentioned, Mass Effect, Last of Us and Fallout.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I really liked the original Deus Ex story. Good conspiracy for GD

Honestly, it's a little cheesy and dramatic, but I really love the simple background story for Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation. The story and music choices worked great together and made it feel like you were actually fighting for something.

Mass Effect and Bioshock have very well written stories (aside from ME3's ending ).

Borderlands has a surprisingly detailed and well written storyline if you take the time to listen to it.

Many more I'll list later.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Iron Tank

You're the only tank that survives the Normandy landings.  Time to take out all of Nazi Europe.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Bioshock was pretty damn awesome when it came out.

There was a computer game I played in the late nineties called Harvester that had an ending that really stuck with me.  Basically the whole game was training you to be a serial killer.

Of those already mentioned, Mass Effect, Last of Us and Fallout.
View Quote
Manhunt....a fucking plastic bag as a weapon
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#50]
GTA5's story line was pretty cool.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top