BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 556A2:
Gladius Hispaniensis if you like stabby stabby or a two-handed Dacian falx if you like slicey dicey.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/8sOO8FrSOF9iE/source.gif

Me seeing weebs with folded 9000 times katanawanazakis, indigenous native clubs/hammers, and spearsbois without a bunch of other spearmen flanking them posting in this thread.
View Quote

Reach > everything.

It's like having a guy with a 22 vs a guy with 223.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By hawktheslayer:

What's actually amazing to me are the number of self-defense and combat experts who routinely show up to piss upon people who actually know what they're talking about and can neither
read or comprehend basic English.

You need to read a book or ten, get some actual martial arts training, actually practice sparring with sticks, fake knives, training swords, fencing foils, shinais, and THEN instead of coming back with retarded statements,
come up with an actual, logical argument why I'm wrong.  Nothing that I said was wrong.  However, your assertion that I was wrong makes you not only wrong; but not very experienced, etiher. 

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sirensong:

Polearms are NOT melee weapons.  Read the OP's post.  He said "hand-to-hand" weapons for multple threats.
Ask anyone who has trained in silat or kali about fighting with two blades or a stick and a knife, sword and dagger (espada y daga). 
It can be done quite easily and even beginners can become extremely proficient in it if you train for it.   The only REAL trouble you can have dual weilding
is if your weapons are too long; like trying to use two long swords or broadswords.  They'll inevitably get tangled up and get you killed.  Very, very difficult to manage
two long blades in hand-to-hand combat.

Certainly a bladed spear like a partisan or a polearm like a ranseur or bec de corbin might be okay if you had your back covered and multiple dudes to form a line.
However, we're talking melee weapons, bro.  Multiple attackers.  For multiple attackers, you need to be able to engage, disengage, vary your angle of attacks
and quickly movie to crowd your attackers and act/react within fractions of a second.  Even then, it's no guarantee.  
While spears have their place, in such close quarters, you're better off with short blades/hammer/shield combo.

It's BO staff, not BOW staff.  And bo staffs will get you fucking killed in a group with multiple attackers.  The first person you poke might take a hit, but before you can withdraw and re-engage
it's getting snatched up by one of your attackers.  It's far too long to manage in close quarters with multiple attackers.  Sure, you can spin it like a dumbass in a kung-fu movie, but the minute your 
hit somebody, it's speed and energy transfer takes place.  You're vulnerable for LONG seconds with a long stick that's easy to take away from you.  Especially with multiple attackers.  OP was talking
"hand-to-hand" range.  Bo staffs are shit for that.

the level of wrong in this post is impressive.

What's actually amazing to me are the number of self-defense and combat experts who routinely show up to piss upon people who actually know what they're talking about and can neither

You need to read a book or ten, get some actual martial arts training, actually practice sparring with sticks, fake knives, training swords, fencing foils, shinais, and THEN instead of coming back with retarded statements,
come up with an actual, logical argument why I'm wrong.  Nothing that I said was wrong.  However, your assertion that I was wrong makes you not only wrong; but not very experienced, etiher. 

tell us more about your experience and study.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 556A2:
Gladius Hispaniensis if you like stabby stabby or a two-handed Dacian falx if you like slicey dicey.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/8sOO8FrSOF9iE/source.gif

Me seeing weebs with folded 9000 times katanawanazakis, indigenous native clubs/hammers, and spearsbois without a bunch of other spearmen flanking them posting in this thread.
View Quote

The Dacian falx is an interesting weapon to read about as well as how the romans had to change armor as a result. It seems like using it two handled near the bottom would give good range and power but one could even ride high on the the handle quicker shorter attacks. Interesting weapon for sure.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
I'm partial to the collapsible baton for real life.

For the zombie apocalypse, I've always said I would get a Halligan.
View Quote

Are you an exceptionally tall 14 yo girl?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

I always thought that my geologist's hammer could really fuck up someone's day. It is basically the size and shape of a medieval war hammer, is forged, and cost like $40.
View Quote

I frequently see a long hafted 20 oz. framing hammer mentioned as a serious weapon. I believe it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
Pole axe, one side for cutting and one side blunt. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177643/89pa_jpg-1410554.JPG

I'm convinced that this is one of the fastest ways to deal some serious damage at a distance
View Quote

I have one of these. Heavy bastard.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Chinese virus.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FALFOX:

You might think so, but the truth is that hollow aluminum bats just do not have the mass to cause enough damage to stop someone. If you must use a bat or club, it should be made of wood or solid metal. Asps suffer the same issue - they're too lightweight, and while a skull strike will drop someone, a fighter smart enough to protect his head can easily step inside your range and put you down. Observe:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnsteadyRashArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

The best melee weapons are going to be edged, and although I previously made a tongue-in-cheek reference to the staff or pole fighting in The Matrix, I'm going to have to give it to the katana.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FALFOX:
Originally Posted By Swampgrass:
That's why you use a short, small aluminum bat. They are highly underrated. A miss with a asp is still a wild miss.

You might think so, but the truth is that hollow aluminum bats just do not have the mass to cause enough damage to stop someone. If you must use a bat or club, it should be made of wood or solid metal. Asps suffer the same issue - they're too lightweight, and while a skull strike will drop someone, a fighter smart enough to protect his head can easily step inside your range and put you down. Observe:
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnsteadyRashArcherfish-size_restricted.gif

The best melee weapons are going to be edged, and although I previously made a tongue-in-cheek reference to the staff or pole fighting in The Matrix, I'm going to have to give it to the katana.

Interesting anecdotal story about various weapons. In college, I had a Japanese friend whose whole family were Japanese martial arts enthusiasts. My buddy used to fight in the Japanese Kyokushin bareknuckle full contact tournaments, but had also done Judo, Jujitsu, Sambo and Kendo. His dad was highly ranked both in Nihon Kenpo and Kendo, and his mom taught Naginata-jutsu. He said his dad and mom only ever sparred once, shinai vs naginata. His dad admitted that even for an expert swordsman, it's very, very difficult to get within striking range against an expert with a naginata. The reach advantage is a difficult one to overcome.

If, for whatever whack ass reason, I had to choose a weapon other than a firearm, it would be this
Attachment Attached File

with a white waxwood, and not hardwood shaft.

It's one of the most dangerous hand-to-hand weapons I've ever trained with (and training is always the key), and we used to 'spar' with training weapons often. Spears not only have a significant reach advantage, if you've ever watched wushu/kiung fu demos, they're incredibly fast. Faster than an opponent can close the distance wielding a shorter weapon. The Qinglong Ji above has the benefit of the crescent hook and if the wielder is trained to use it properly, it makes the weapon extremely versatile in technique.

If you've ever seen the spears vs swords video with the bunch of LARPers playing with their swords and spears, those guys absolutely suck with spears (they're not really a whole lot better with the swords, but it's pretty obvious that the swordsman are a little more skilled with the swords than the spearmen were skilled with spears), but against sword vs spear, using the Qinglong Ji, you can not only stab and slash at ranges outside the sword, but you can turn the crescent hook (which is sharpened on a real weapon) to hook the edge of the shield, yanking the shield bearer off balance, or to open their defenses, and changing the pull to a stab or slash, and this can all be done in a fluid movement; thrust, hook and pull, stab/slash. Faster than the opponent can react, unless they've also trained enough against these techniques to be able to instinctively react correctly,and  fast enough.

As for the argument that polearms are unwieldy when the opponents are close:
a) this is all fantasy because the first question is why no one has a firearm
b) why am I walking around with a spear or sword, or any other hand-to-hand weapon?
c) if situations are such that I can't have a firearm, but feel the need to arm myself with a spear, sword or other weapon, how am I walking around with a spear without issue?
d) If things are so bad, that I need to walk around with a spear for defense and no one has firearms, why on earth am I letting a bunch of hostile people get within arms reach when I have a spear and could easily deter them from getting within arms reach?
e) if for some reason there are answers to all of the above, and the argument is that polearms are just too unwieldy in tight quarters, like I said; training, training, training

Exhibit a)
Drunken Master II - Fight Scene 1 - Lau Kar-Leung pt 1
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]

1918 treanch knife
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:
A Naginata. 

View Quote

Was going to say Katana, but a naginata wouldn't suck.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

Interesting anecdotal story about various weapons. In college, I had a Japanese friend whose whole family were Japanese martial arts enthusiasts. My buddy used to fight in the Japanese Kyokushin bareknuckle full contact tournaments, but had also done Judo, Jujitsu, Sambo and Kendo. His dad was highly ranked both in Nihon Kenpo and Kendo, and his mom taught Naginata-jutsu. He said his dad and mom only ever sparred once, shinai vs naginata. His dad admitted that even for an expert swordsman, it's very, very difficult to get within striking range against an expert with a naginata. The reach advantage is a difficult one to overcome.

View Quote

this is a very big deal.  naginata was a 'woman's weapon,' in the sense that while their husbands and fathers were away campaigning, japanese women were expected to be able to defend home and hearth against fully trained men.  in the same sense that BJJ was designed to allow smaller, weaker people the ability to defeat larger, stronger opponents, koryu naginata-jutsu was developed to allow women to defeat swordsmen.  even the watered down atarashii version would be scary to go up against.  

it isn't just the reach--it's the power that all that length provides, plus the ability to be useful at any range.

i'd love to do koryu naginata, but it's extremely difficult to find here int he states.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I feel like the only reason everyone has not acknowledged me as the obvious winner and genius of this thread, is that most people do not know what a Nagamaki is.  

It’s like a perfect blend/hybrid of polearm and sword.
View Quote

you're not fooling anyone.  everyone knows what a nagamaki is.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I feel like the only reason everyone has not acknowledged me as the obvious winner and genius of this thread, is that most people do not know what a Nagamaki is.  

View Quote

Get you out of here with your chinaman talk.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Which turtle carried that? Hah, smart guy?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Those were three quality burns.
View Quote

Go easy on them.  They don't know who they're messing with.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#21]

tell us more about your experience and study.
View All Quotes

Polearms are NOT melee weapons.  Read the OP's post.  He said "hand-to-hand" weapons for multple threats.
Ask anyone who has trained in silat or kali about fighting with two blades or a stick and a knife, sword and dagger (espada y daga). 
It can be done quite easily and even beginners can become extremely proficient in it if you train for it.   The only REAL trouble you can have dual weilding
is if your weapons are too long; like trying to use two long swords or broadswords.  They'll inevitably get tangled up and get you killed.  Very, very difficult to manage
two long blades in hand-to-hand combat.

Certainly a bladed spear like a partisan or a polearm like a ranseur or bec de corbin might be okay if you had your back covered and multiple dudes to form a line.
However, we're talking melee weapons, bro.  Multiple attackers.  For multiple attackers, you need to be able to engage, disengage, vary your angle of attacks
and quickly movie to crowd your attackers and act/react within fractions of a second.  Even then, it's no guarantee.  
While spears have their place, in such close quarters, you're better off with short blades/hammer/shield combo.

It's BO staff, not BOW staff.  And bo staffs will get you fucking killed in a group with multiple attackers.  The first person you poke might take a hit, but before you can withdraw and re-engage
it's getting snatched up by one of your attackers.  It's far too long to manage in close quarters with multiple attackers.  Sure, you can spin it like a dumbass in a kung-fu movie, but the minute your 
hit somebody, it's speed and energy transfer takes place.  You're vulnerable for LONG seconds with a long stick that's easy to take away from you.  Especially with multiple attackers.  OP was talking
"hand-to-hand" range.  Bo staffs are shit for that.

the level of wrong in this post is impressive.

tell us more about your experience and study.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#23]

you're not fooling anyone.  everyone knows what a nagamaki is.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26435/DK_personal_nagamaki_jpg-1411842.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26435/DK_personal_nagamaki_jpg-1411842.JPG

Nagamaki Plaza MP5 & Steyr AUG
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Nagamaki Plaza MP5 & Steyr AUG
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#25]
The Patriot: Tomahawk Scene ULTRA HD

"The Patriot" with Mel Gibson - Tomahawk and long knife - for the win!
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bigbryce31186:
Glock 19
View Quote

Came to post this!
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Attman:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Attman:
Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
Oh man, how about the Bat-chete?  $104 on Amazon! All the impact force of a baseball bat with the cutting and slashing ability of a machete without the danger of overpenetration and loding in bone!
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91qkbdZu11L._SL1500_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81-y7iJ5PpL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, laugh it up...the thing IS more sophisticated than a board with a nail in it, though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#30]
The wooden spoon.

Mom brings that thing out of the drawer you are hauling ass out of there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Ho, Ho, Ho,...now I have a Sushi Roll
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Jus1morIswear:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132606/L8NG3_jpg-1411419.JPG
My wife carries this in her car
 I wouldn't want to be anywhere near her when she weilds that thing  I'm pretty sure she could wing you with it at 50 ft
View Quote

A Comal?
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top