Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly it is pretty hard not to recommend an AR as it is in my opinion, the pinnacle of all around general use rifles.

But after that, I guess for real farm use against animals probably just about anything. But I would prefer something with some optic/red dot and a magazine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

HK really needs to bring these back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have a look at the price on GB for the SL6, SL7, mags, and scope mounts.

Crazy money.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]

I like the cut of your jib.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends on where. A PA farm vs a TX ranch vs a Montana ranch all have different challenges. Back East, a lever action pistol caliber rifle or something like a CZ527M in 7.62x39 is hard to beat. Out in the southwest, I’d want something with range and would probably pick up an economical 6.5CM or Grendel bolt action. Up in the northern Rockies, a .45-70 lever rifle or a high quality semi auto 12ga like a Benelli M4 would be my choice.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@Fugitive I just wanted to acknowledge that a 760/7600 would be a fine choice.

It's like an 870 that shoots farther.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Remington 760/7600 is pretty handy. You pick your caliber for expected critters.

@Fugitive I just wanted to acknowledge that a 760/7600 would be a fine choice.

It's like an 870 that shoots farther.

One in. 30.06 was handed down to me after the lady across the street passed away. It was her husband’s rifle. He had passed away 20 years ago and we took care of her once he was gone. I was also gifted his old Winchester model 1400 12 gauge and her son in law GAVE me a model 94 in 30-30 for fixing his little beretta 22 pistol.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They certainly got plenty of use as a ranch/farm or truck rifle, and under high threat conditions:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/25/5d/ce/255dceab0512062eb64efae86bf92d8c.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They certainly got plenty of use as a ranch/farm or truck rifle, and under high threat conditions:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/25/5d/ce/255dceab0512062eb64efae86bf92d8c.jpg

I want that entire setup, including the truck, mount, big burly fucker to watch my 6, and that stunning rifle with that stunning paint job.

Bring on the gay jokes, you bunch of animals ??
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I could afford cans, but don't own one out of pure spite. The government should not require such a bullshit gauntlet in acquiring one.  They are just mufflers. The inverse is a citation for NOT having one on your car. Despotic clown world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus, .22 is easy on the tinnitus if forced to shoot fast without fumbling for ear pro.
Silence all things
A can lives on mine.

I could afford cans, but don't own one out of pure spite. The government should not require such a bullshit gauntlet in acquiring one.  They are just mufflers. The inverse is a citation for NOT having one on your car. Despotic clown world.

I just can’t afford them…yet.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Ruger PC Carbine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Big boi.

I’ve been around guns my whole life and have sold a few 45-70 rifles as well, and I still marvel at the size of the hole in the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
SKS - just about the perfect .30 ranch rifle.
View Quote

That's not a bad choice. There might not be a rifle in existence that has more of a chance of going "BANG" when you need it to.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Some sort of scoped 22 rimfire rifle would probably get more use on a ranch than any other rifle for small animals.

For centerfire semi auto, I'd probably look at the Sig MCX in 556.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
If it's a rifle and you don't want an AR.  Might as well go w/ a budget bolt rifle.  Ruger American, Howa, Savage/Stevens, or used Remington etc.  Chamber it in something w/ a little more range; .22-250, .243, or .260, maybe something a little heavier if big bears are a concern.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:42:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
HK SL7

For a non semi auto, a Savage 99
View Quote
LOL yeah, let's beat the shit out of a collectible rifle.

Not sure if you're trolling or what.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#14]

That’s a serious lever gun. I can’t make out what it’s chambered in based on what’s on the stock. All I see is the ends of skinny cases.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's a serious lever gun. I can't make out what it's chambered in based on what's on the stock. All I see is the ends of skinny cases.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's a serious lever gun. I can't make out what it's chambered in based on what's on the stock. All I see is the ends of skinny cases.
Sorry, it's an 1894 CSBL in .357.  It's outfitted with a Primary Arms ACSS 1x green illuminated prismatic optic (pushed considerably beyond its manufacturing specifications, but it works exceedingly well for how I use it), and a forward mounted WML on the top rail, with a customized leather sling and butt cuff from Diamond D leather goods.

Its short, handy, and does all the things well enough for territory east of the Mississippi.

ETA:  as a side note, I have spent entirely too much money with Diamond D on slings and butt cuffs in this last year; their stuff adorns quite a number of my firearms
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#16]
On the farm I always had a suppressed 22 with me; either a bolt gun, lever action, or a pistol.

Occasionally when I knew predators were about I would take a pump SBS and that worked well enough given the tighter spaces and closer neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One in. 30.06 was handed down to me after the lady across the street passed away. It was her husband’s rifle. He had passed away 20 years ago and we took care of her once he was gone. I was also gifted his old Winchester model 1400 12 gauge and her son in law GAVE me a model 94 in 30-30 for fixing his little beretta 22 pistol.
View Quote

Maybe 15 years ago I was at work one day, out in the field, and at lunch I wandered into a pawn shop. They had an old, well worn, 760 in 30-06, for like $175.

I passed. And I have felt stupid for that ever since. Shoulda bought it. I did buy a pistol they had a great price on, and still shoot it often.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#18]
CZ527 carbine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Same thing I was thinking, have that picture hanging in my garage
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I want that entire setup, including the truck, mount, big burly fucker to watch my 6, and that stunning rifle with that stunning paint job.

View Quote

I'll ride in the middle seat of this fantasy.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Marlin 30-30
Steyr Aug
Fal
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
336 in 30-30?
View Quote

™Microgroove barrel.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Marlin 336 in 30-30
Ruger Scout Rifle in .308
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Really though, it's hard to outdo an AR. If in fact it can be done at all.
Many say no.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Maybe 15 years ago I was at work one day, out in the field, and at lunch I wandered into a pawn shop. They had an old, well worn, 760 in 30-06, for like $175.

I passed. And I have felt stupid for that ever since. Shoulda bought it. I did buy a pistol they had a great price on, and still shoot it often.
View Quote

Don't feel bad, those rifles beat the crap out of the lugs. There's a reason it was cheap, probably half trashed. I love Remingtons, those pumps suck.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HK SL7

For a non semi auto, a Savage 99

Most 99s aren't collectable. They've already spent 100 years hunting.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What kind of shit are you planning on shooting on your ranch?  Are you going to be carrying it slung all the time or strapped to a 4wheeler and you'll go unstrap it when something needs shot?

I vote AK with a side folder and a 12" barrel.  If its something you'll be carrying more often, then something lighter like a lever or bolt FUD gun.
View Quote

AMD 65 is what you just described.

My tractor gun was an ancient .410 - mainly used for the copperheads that got spooked by the tractor.  The overall ranch gun was SKS Paratrooper for coyotes, coons, possums, or whatever else was causing problems on the farm.

Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Lever gun in .38/.357
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was living on a farm my 590a1 was my go to long gun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I know of one that whether he’s in the tractor or the truck he’s got a M1A bush rifle. Know of another that always just carried a 22 magnum revolver. If I was going to pick something non-ar I’d probably grab my Model 8 Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I farm not ranch but do have livestock. Farm truck has a 10/22 in it that goes in the tractor or combine always. Gator has a Mossy 500 with a 28" tube. Shop has rifles in it for whoever need one (old school MilSurp cutdowns in 303 or 06). Weapons depend on factors like acreage, livestock, location, employees and predators. You're not going to use a rifle "in" town. Shooting a tossed dog (dumped pit) chasing your fowl take skill, not a 12g with 7 or OO shot. Crop permits are real. Shooting 50-100 dear a season is the norm now.

There is no one rifle. One day your shooting crop permits with your fancy LaRue .260 at 800M over beans. The next your shooting reds with old Sears .243, then before supper crows with a .410 bore.

View Quote

Variety is the spice of life.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#33]
SKS or bolt gun in God's cartridge...25-06
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I usually have a 1911 on my hip. As to a rifle for when we are out on the ranch, it's usually 2. An AR, and 22-250 or 243 bolt. Mostly coyotes, badgers, porcupines, prairie dogs, and feral dogs. We do have an occasional Messican canine, north of I-40. No collar, free game. Collar, a quick ticket to a truck stop on 40.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Around these parts its an 870 with 00 Buck.   Lots of folks are also carrying a 45-70.  

The AR15 is King, however.   Affordable, reliable, accurate, and reasonably powerful.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve read good and bad about them, but it’s unique and I loved the family across the street, so it means a lot to me.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monica.gif
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#39]
M1 carbine
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Motherfucking M1A. The mother of all battle rifles. The greatest implement of reckoning ever devised. The second son of John Garand. The better son. The son he had and raised after raising an overweight fatass that can only handle lethargically loaded 30-06. Date I say it. The greatest rifle of all time. Gods rifle. The rifle Jesus would have used when clearing the temple. The rifle angels rejoice about. The rifle of Yahweh. The rifle of David and Abraham. The rifle of the holy sovereign spaghetti monster and his Ramen son. The rifle that satan dare not touch as it would banish him to the deepest places of hell that even the price of darkness fears. Know thy rifle. Know thy love. Know that M1A is the rifle of free men.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:31:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Motherfucking M1A. The mother of all battle rifles. The greatest implement of reckoning ever devised. The second son of John Garand. The better son. The son he had and raised after raising an overweight fatass that can only handle lethargically loaded 30-06. Date I say it. The greatest rifle of all time. Gods rifle. The rifle Jesus would have used when clearing the temple. The rifle angels rejoice about. The rifle of Yahweh. The rifle of David and Abraham. The rifle of the holy sovereign spaghetti monster and his Ramen son. The rifle that satan dare not touch as it would banish him to the deepest places of hell that even the price of darkness fears. Know thy rifle. Know thy love. Know that M1A is the rifle of free men.
View Quote
And here I thought the fal guys up above were being the gayest in this thread
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And here I thought the fal guys up above were being the gayest in this thread
View Quote

The FAL is the greatest rifle outside of America.  Why do you hate freedom?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The m1a is a bastard child of an already poor copy

A design so shitty SA had to bring Garand out of retirement (again) to fix it.

And it was so bad even he could only do so much
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 11:34:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're supposed to herp before you derp.

Granted, I'm toying with buying a Tanker M1A, but even I recognize it's significant shortcomings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
...that can only handle lethargically loaded 30-06.
View Quote
That's just a myth repeated by fudds and collectors.

I do favor the M14 over the M1 Garand though (even without anti pre-engagement cuts).
SAI's M1A is a poor copy.

This thread needs more pics & video.

M14A1 20 rounds offhand bursts

Link Posted: 6/28/2022 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#46]

10/22 with a silencer is also nice, and will suffice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#47]
It's not a rifle but the gun that sees the most use on my property and rides in a rack in my SXS is a Stoeger coach gun.  I made a leather shell holder that is laced to the butt stock and it carries a mix of slugs and buck shot.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
M1 Garand.
View Quote

Actually, my dad used one for his firewood gun.

When he was out collecting firewood and operating the saw, he had his Garand with him.  He put a bipod on it, and just left it on the ground by the saw support pile, barrel lifted via bipod.

He used to just lean a shotgun against a tree...I don't know why he changed.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#50]
About  right now the local rancher is riding in his tractor cutting hay.  He has a .243 55gr b-tip.

His hired hand has a bolt. 223.  Not bad choices where he's at.
   Coyotes out in the middle of nowhere miles of open ground.  

.22 at the shop.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top