Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know how big he was, but he must have been impressive.

What I find more fascinating is the fact that God was with David in that very moment and such a young lad had the courage to stand against a towering and formidable man.

I think God guided that stone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How old is the Earth according to the bible?
View Quote
The Bible never mentioned the age of the earth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#3]
He was 3 idontgiveafuck's tall.  Isn't their a forum for this?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Less than 3 cubits. Probably less than 2. 
View Quote
Starbuck gambled all his cubits away.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is a no-go.

I'm asking the questions - from a reputable source.

The height of Goliath is static. We have that. Published via translation, for all to see

Now, how about David? How tall was he?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have recently started trying to read the bible through, and I have a similar question. It says the Ark was 300 cubits in length, 50 cubits in width and 30 cubits in height and that when the flood occurred that the water rose 30 cubits. BUT where it gets interesting is that it clearly says that it covered mountains and so on. So how fucking big is a cubit, and imagine the size of the Ark in comparison

So if he was 6 cubits tall, I imagine he had to have been a monster because he's like a fifth as tall as the Ark according to the bible.
Tall enough to ride a dinosaur off the ark. 
This is a no-go.

I'm asking the questions - from a reputable source.

The height of Goliath is static. We have that. Published via translation, for all to see

Now, how about David? How tall was he?
For some reason I picture you sounding like Fraiser's Dad saying ^. Not trying to insult you, it's just what popped in my head.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Satan can't get a hold on anyone without their acquiescence. What does that say about "them?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad but true, I guess satan's got a hold on them...
Satan can't get a hold on anyone without their acquiescence. What does that say about "them?"

Says they're willing to go along for the ride to hell...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the Andre vs Tom Cruise analogy.

I look at it like the history and origin of one family or bloodline. After Cain killed Able where did he go? The land of Nod...
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have read where some estimate he was 6'4" or thereabouts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Even at 6'9" he'd most likely be a foot taller than the biggest of Israelites and 18" taller than the average man of the time. King Saul was supposed to have been a very large man and he probably didn't even hit six feet.
I have read where some estimate he was 6'4" or thereabouts.
Considering Saul tried to convince David to wear his (Saul's) personal armor, it is unlikely that Saul was anywhere near that tall. My educated guess is Saul's height approached six feet (but probably wasn't quite there) while David was about six inches shorter, give or take an inch.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He was 3 idontgiveafuck's tall.  Isn't their a forum for this?
View Quote
For what? Bad grammar and feigned indifference?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Considering Saul tried to convince David to wear his (Saul's) personal armor, it is unlikely that Saul was anywhere near that tall. My educated guess is Saul's height approached six feet (but probably wasn't quite there) while David was about six inches shorter, give or take an inch.
View Quote
That makes sense but maybe they are wrong on estimates of David's size?

I don't think we will ever really know the exact sizes of these men.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Nobody names their kids after losers.......
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Whew! Thank the mighty Odin that someone really took the time to classify giants for us. 

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/275/034/8c2.jpg
View Quote
Looks like someone is being a bit....what was the word you used the other day....douchey?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Obviously space aliens,  y'all betta git ya history straight!  They be teachin dis in da history class soon yo!  
Goliath was Annunaki bloodline and were called Nephilim!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're probably right.

Saul was mostly known for his stature, that was one of the biggest (no pun intended) reasons for him being selected to be king. However, there isn't any literary proof that I know of that suggested he was abnormally large compared to his countrymen. At 6'4", he'd have been almost a foot taller than everybody else, which doesn't fit what is written about him. I think the sweet spot for his height is just under 6', most likely 5'11", which would have been about 4-6" taller than just about everybody around him.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If I am interested, I read multiple sources.

When it comes to the bible and speaking to people of any religion..it seems that they have one source.  If you doubt that source, you are a bad person.

Most of the people I have met that believe in this, have believed since they were a child. Their parents taught them that it is the truth. They are doing the same with their kids.

If you teach a kid from a young age that one book is the way of life and all others are wrong...the kid is likely going to believe that and carry that for the rest of their lives.
View Quote
Many of us question our faith often. We're not blind followers.

Do you ever have doubts about your atheism?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:43:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does the Bible state that Goliath was a Nephilim? Where?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nephilim are pretty big..
Does the Bible state that Goliath was a Nephilim? Where?
When the twelve spies were scouting Canaan, and saw the Anakim, they either thought they were seeing Nephilim or used the name Nephilim to describe the stature of the sons of Anak.

We even saw the Nephilim there." (The offspring of Anak were descended from the Nephilim.) "To ourselves we seemed like grasshoppers, and we must have seemed the same to them." Numbers 13:33 CSB
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Great Ted talk on how David easily kicked Goliath's ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziGD7vQOwl8
View Quote
45mm handgun, huh. 

And Goliath was blind the whole time... amazing insight.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I imagine Goliath had a pituitary gland tumor and was therefore very tall but hardly formidable.  People with that problem and that tall are plagued with health problems and can't even get out of their own way.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I get the exaggeration but... it doesn;t sound like a big deal.  Why was it a big deal, in that era?
View Quote
When humans get that tall, they normally would be less effective as a soldier. They have all sorts of phyisical limitations and health issues.  So even if Goliath's height alone would have been enough to cow some, there is no way he made it through life without someone testing him...particularly in the military. Don't we think that some moderately skilled spearman really wouldn't have much trouble taking down an oafish, clumsy, slow, uncoordinated enemy?

And nutritional limitations would be limiting the growth potential of most people. So even with someone having the genetic potential to be that tall, to actually attain it would be no small wonder. So being that tall in that time would probably be more unusual than would being that tall today.

So you have a guy that not only dwarfs everyone by a comparative margin greater than it would be today, but he is also so well physically developed that he has become their very best in armed combat and is the champion of their army. There's no way they roll out some clumsy gaunt scarecrow simply because he's tall.

If the scriptures are true, Goliath actually was pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:48:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Bible doesn't weigh in on the matter.
View Quote
It doesn't at all, but some people still try to use the Bible to determine the Earth's age.

I used to believe that the Earth was young.  I not only don't much believe that anymore, I absolutely don't care either way, because it doesn't matter.  Even evolution, yay or nay (I believe nay) doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]
6'9" tall
How much could he bench press though isn't that the real question?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So... are we going to page 2, without answering my question?

How big, was David?
View Quote
@Badseed

1 Samuel 17:33 Then (King) Saul said to David, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are but a youth..."

38 Then Saul clothed David with his garments and put a bronze helmet on his head, and he clothed him with armor. 39 David girded his sword over his armor and tried to walk, for he had not tested them.

So Saul tried to outfit David in the king's own armor, but the armor was too large and too heavy for David.  In all fairness to this comparison, Saul was a large man.

David, in all probability, is a young teen.  His eldest brother accuses him of coming to see the battle, implying (to me) that he thinks David is not old enough to behave responsibly.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When humans get that tall, they normally would be less effective as a soldier. They have all sorts of phyisical limitations and health issues.  So even if Goliath's height alone would have been enough to cow some, there is no way he made it through life without someone testing him...particularly in the military. Don't we think that some moderately skilled spearman really wouldn't have much trouble taking down an oafish, clumsy, slow, uncoordinated enemy?

So you have a guy that not only dwarfs everyone by a comparative margin greater than it would be today, but he is also so well physically developed that he has become their very best in armed combat and is the champion of their army. There's no way they roll out some clumsy gaunt scarecrow simply because he's tall.

If the scriptures are true, Goliath actually was pretty impressive.
View Quote
It is entirely possible that both instances are true: that Goliath was impressive, but also clumsy. Perhaps he was the Philistines' newest weapon and in training looked like he had great promise, but was more or less untested in actual combat against a real enemy. Maybe this was the first time they trotted him out on a battlefield, thinking, "the Israelites with shit themselves just looking at this guy, how can we lose if they're scared to death?"

I think it is also entirely possible that he really did have poor eyesight, too, which explains what the scripture says about him.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#25]
It was all pretend anyway
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

When the twelve spies were scouting Canaan, and saw the Anakim, they either thought they were seeing Nephilim or used the name Nephilim to describe the stature of the sons of Anak.

We even saw the Nephilim there." (The offspring of Anak were descended from the Nephilim.) "To ourselves we seemed like grasshoppers, and we must have seemed the same to them." Numbers 13:33 CSB
View Quote
The Philistines were a non-Semetic people who came from Europe in the 'Sea People' invasions of the region.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What about the people the Bible says live almost 1000 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No idea but I'm guessing that assuming it was a real battle with real people, he wasn't that big compared to what we think of today. Nutrition for those dudes would have sucked and limited growth.
What about the people the Bible says live almost 1000 years?
@maggiethecat

Sumerian records covering the same period say their people lived 10s of thousands of years.

There may have been things going on that we don't understand today.  It's history (not reproducible), not science (reproducible).
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Bible?

The Bible is not a history book...
View Quote
Triggerly Trig will be proud of you.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think there is one part of the Bible that says David's father asked him if he wanted to use his armor suit to fight Goliath.

David refused but his father is reputedly to be a LARGE man also.

So, I don't know that we will ever really have a good handle on how big David was, or turned out to be when he got older...............???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Simply because we have one source, doesn't mean that source is true or factual.

It just means we have one source.
I think there is one part of the Bible that says David's father asked him if he wanted to use his armor suit to fight Goliath.

David refused but his father is reputedly to be a LARGE man also.

So, I don't know that we will ever really have a good handle on how big David was, or turned out to be when he got older...............???
@RDak

It was King Saul, not David's dad.  See one of my previous posts in this thread for references.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What round for Goliath??
View Quote
@usmc_delaware according to the TED talk video above, David's stone was traveling at the speed equivalent to a 45mm handgun round. So 45mm it is.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:08:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can't have a thread about Christianity without the special snowflakes coming in to post their drivel.

Its a different story if its chicks with dicks thread....  

They love those.  Christianity however, ruffles their jimmies.
View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_1/135_Religion.html

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:08:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The Bible?

The Bible is not a history book...
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@RDak

It was King Saul, not David's dad.  See one of my previous posts in this thread for references.
View Quote
Yes, I was corrected on this.......thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Personally, yes I have often questioned my lack of belief in god. Most athiests I know have struggled with this their whole lives as well. And I respect you for admitting you question your own faith.

For me, I will never know exactly what causes me to question my lack of faith, but I suspect it is the years of being force fed Christian doctrine as a child.  When I look at the subject objectively I keep coming back to a total lack of evidence for gods existance, and feel silly for letting the superstitions I was raised with influence me.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#36]
David had small hands, a great trait for a leader
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And as far as Goliath, I may give weight to the Septuagint, 4Q51 Samuel^a, and Josephus, and say Goliath was 6'9".
View Quote
Sources closer to the event usually have more credibility than those written hundreds of years later.  First Samuel was written in 721 BC at the latest, based on events described in the text.  The Septuagint was translated from Hebrew into Greek c. 200 BC.  The Essenes sealed the Qumran scrolls between 200 - 100 BC.  Josephus died in 100 AD.

You may give weight where you choose, but the proper study of history (usually called the Historical Method, or the Documentary Method) will assign weight in accordance with my first sentence above.

Edit:
Forgot to add BC after 721
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Personally, yes I have often questioned my lack of belief in god. Most athiests I know have struggled with this their whole lives as well. And I respect you for admitting you question your own faith.

For me, I will never know exactly what causes me to question my lack of faith, but I suspect it is the years of being force fed Christian doctrine as a child.  When I look at the subject objectively I keep coming back to a total lack of evidence for gods existance, and feel silly for letting the superstitions I was raised with influence me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand your position.

However, my story is quite different. For some of us, God has done things that cannot be discounted, dismissed, minimized, or ignored.

I am one of those people. I often wonder if He will judge me differently or more strictly because of my experiences and hold me more accountable.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@maggiethecat

Sumerian records covering the same period say their people lived 10s of thousands of years.

There may have been things going on that we don't understand today.  It's history (not reproducible), not science (reproducible).
View Quote
I was unaware of the Sumerian records.  That would tend to contradict the "accepted biblical scholars" 6000 year old earth.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Since we're talking about giaganticism and whether or not Goliath had it, I have a serious medical question.  If people with that problem have a pituitary gland that is out of control, can't the gland be removed?  Do you need it to live?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
...according to the TED talk video above, David's stone was traveling at the speed equivalent to a 45mm handgun round. So 45mm it is.
View Quote
That's one handgun I would not want to fire.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Bible is a book of mythology, not a history book. Does it possibly contain some real history? Sure, but it also contains errors, contradictions and fairy tales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It certainly is. Can you name other 2-5k year old history books and do you give them the same scrutiny? Are you as skeptical about the Amarna tablets? Do you give weight to all the Babylonian texts found?

As for the OP, the Bible doesn't give David's height but says he was a youth, so a teenager. Probably skinny. Everybody was.
The Bible is a book of mythology, not a history book. Does it possibly contain some real history? Sure, but it also contains errors, contradictions and fairy tales.
Possibly contain some real history?

Your complete ignorance of the study of antiquity is showing there.  

But you keep on keeping on, your faith in your belief system is far stronger than mine.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I often wonder if He will judge me differently or more strictly because of my experiences and hold me more accountable.
View Quote
Greater understanding equals greater responsibility and accountability.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I imagine Goliath had a pituitary gland tumor and was therefore very tall but hardly formidable.  People with that problem and that tall are plagued with health problems and can't even get out of their own way.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/smGf37s64sc/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Goliath's armor weighed 125lbs and the head of his spear weighed 15lbs. Nobody frail with health problems is lugging that around the desert.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#45]
He was roughly the height of a very tall NBA player.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thats probably a decent comparison honestly. Anamolies have always existed, and by that measurement Goliath would have been 9+ feet. Exaggeration may have obviously been part of the book.
View Quote
lol

yes, cause no one ever measures themselves or animals they kill......
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@Badseed

1 Samuel 17:33 Then (King) Saul said to David, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are but a youth..."

38 Then Saul clothed David with his garments and put a bronze helmet on his head, and he clothed him with armor. 39 David girded his sword over his armor and tried to walk, for he had not tested them.

So Saul tried to outfit David in the king's own armor, but the armor was too large and too heavy for David.  In all fairness to this comparison, Saul was a large man.

David, in all probability, is a young teen.  His eldest brother accuses him of coming to see the battle, implying (to me) that he thinks David is not old enough to behave responsibly.
View Quote
His brothers even took a shot at how insignificant he was, telling him "why don't you go tend those few sheep of yours."
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you don't like GD's responses to your constant religious trolling, you have a special safe space in the Religion forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't have a thread about Christianity without the special snowflakes coming in to post their drivel.

Its a different story if its chicks with dicks thread....  

They love those.  Christianity however, ruffles their jimmies.
If you don't like GD's responses to your constant religious trolling, you have a special safe space in the Religion forum.
And conversely, no one is forcing you to click on a thread that is contrary to your beliefs.  Did you get so offended by this thread that you personally (in your arrogance) had to come in and set everyone straight?

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@usmc_delaware according to the TED talk video above, David's stone was traveling at the speed equivalent to a 45mm handgun round. So 45mm it is.
View Quote
Haha, I read that in one of his books. Gladwell is such a goober. He's a goober that has no clue what a goober he his.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Goliath was probably a 7 footer and David was 4,5,I'm sure it was embellished
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top