Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But, but, but, it's someone else's fault.
View Quote

You just have convince the rubes that you aren't doing it on purpose. They'll easily accept it's either out of their control or it's all a big screw up, anything but it's being doing it on purpose.

It works really well. I never cease to be amazed at how easily fooled people are.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Guaranteed this will end up being laid at the feet of the un-jabbed masses
View Quote

Conform or be cast out. I don't think they planned on the vaccine being such a polarizing subject politically, but they sure are trying to leverage it widen the great divide.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Heard a rumor supporting this, saying the .gov will do to meat industry what they did to the auto industry with CAFE: a certain percentage of meat sold will need to be insect based meat. No I don't have any evidence, it's something I overheard.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like Biden's "Meat Beating" plan is to hand out pork:
- $375 million in "gap" financing to jumpstart meat processing projects that "truly expand capacity outside the largest meat and poultry processors." The agriculture department will provide $150 million in its first phase for roughly 15 projects, and another $225 million in the second phase.
- Up to $275 million in capital for banks to provide loans and other financing with favorable terms for independent processors investing in cold storage, specialized equipment and other needs.
- $100 million to provide loan guarantees for more than $1 billion in loans.
- $100 million to train workers for well-paying, safe jobs.
- $50 million to provide technical assistance and research that will lower barriers for entrepreneurs, independent companies and others looking to add meatpacking processing. The effort will help businesses better understand environmental, food safety and worker safety requirements.
- $100 million to reduce overtime and holiday inspection costs for small and very small poultry, meat and egg processing plants keep up with unprecedented demand. The initiative is expected to cut fees 30% to 75%.
View Quote

the Chinese have been buying up pork processing plants in the USA, I wonder how much of this is graft meant to go straight to Chinese hands.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Dam pulling a play straight out of the Hugo Chavez playbook.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Sloppy Joe better fix this shit before I get my grill fired up.  Which around here might be August
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Heard a rumor supporting this, saying the .gov will do to meat industry what they did to the auto industry with CAFE: a certain percentage of meat sold will need to be insect based meat. No I don't have any evidence, it's something I overheard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Michael Berry was just talking about this on the radio.  Basically confirming what you said.  They want us peasants to eat bugs now.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Biden is a moron.

Shut down a pipeline, force us to yet again be dependent on foreign governments for fuel.

Cost of fuel, oil, grease. As well as styrofoam, plastics, fertilizer and herbicides to sky rocket.

Also destroyed the economy causing massive inflation and shortages.

If my fuel, oil and greast costs have doubled. The operating cost of my equipment has doubled......  it cost twice as much for me to make hay. Not even counting managing my fields.

If it cost double to feed my animals, double in fuel tobtruck them and double for packaging. Someone has to pay for that.

I have people 4-5 hours away I haven't talked to for years begging for hay I don't have to sell. Offering me triple for a load I don't have.

Why don't I have an extra 1,000 bales this year? Oh because covid supply shortage bullshit. Tractor down for 2 weeks waiting on and $8 part... get fucked. Baling twine unobtanium... get fucked. Oh you need new knives for the hay mower?... get fucked. How about that ag tire that took 6 weeks to get.... get fucked.

Thankfully we have plenty of hay for our own animals.

View Quote

Good points, all.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Settle down there, Brandon! Hot dogs are super cheap, remember?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How many pork producers are fuck China owned?
Yeah,  they're laughing at him .
View Quote

Once his puppeteers realize the extent of Chinese ownership, they will back the fuck off with a quickness and declare that pork prices are not part of the problem.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Where's all that money coming from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
- $375 million in "gap" financing to jumpstart meat processing projects that "truly expand capacity outside the largest meat and poultry processors." The agriculture department will provide $150 million in its first phase for roughly 15 projects, and another $225 million in the second phase.
- Up to $275 million in capital for banks to provide loans and other financing with favorable terms for independent processors investing in cold storage, specialized equipment and other needs.
- $50 million to provide technical assistance and research that will lower barriers for entrepreneurs, independent companies and others looking to add meatpacking processing. The effort will help businesses better understand environmental, food safety and worker safety requirements.
- $100 million to reduce overtime and holiday inspection costs for small and very small poultry, meat and egg processing plants keep up with unprecedented demand. The initiative is expected to cut fees 30% to 75%.

money printer
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope the elites enjoy the results of not helping Trump and letting Biden claim the victory.  I'm not going to feel bad about billion dollar companies getting screwed with extra regulations when they did not work to prevent Biden from being President.  Of course it is the little guy that ultimately gets screwed with higher prices but we knew that the Biden was sworn in.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was looking at various meats in the store yesterday evening, the prices on beef are just .
View Quote

Some say a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I make a product.  Company A is willing to pay $X.  But Company B is willing to pay more.  And Company C offers even more.

Is it immoral for me to sell to C?  Fuck no.  Is it immoral for labor to move to a job that pays better?  No.  It it wrong to sell your home to the highest bidder?  NO!

You don't have to have beef to live.  There is the Law of Substitution which says that when a product is no longer available at a price the buyer is willing to pay, they will buy something else.  Instead of beef, they'll buy chicken or beans or pork or whatever.  You may not like it, but beef is protein.  It is hardly the only source of protein.  Steak tastes great, but I have news for all you snowflakes, no one owes you great tasting food.

NO ONE OWES YOU ANY PRODUCT.  YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRICE GOUGING.

Everyone knows Biden is an idiot.  Commies and even bigger idiots pull his strings.

But I would think that GD would understand the Law of Supply and Demand.  The market is always right.  If an item sells, it is priced properly.  If it doesn't sell, the price will likely drop.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Packers are just too big, the only thing I can think of is they should be a fee for service industry doing it for hire for third parties. Probably with price slot set by public bid.
View Quote

The packers are not too big.  The  public is already bidding on meat.

There is no price gouging.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Part of the Green New Deal
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Government regulation is the cause of the near monopolization of meat packing, so I'm sure more government is the solution.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Profits haven't been climbing, costs are going up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They have been saying this for over a year yet packer profits keep climbing.  As long as the big guy gets his cut, nothing will happen.

Costs rising for meat packing producers - transportation [fuel costs, supply chain bottle necks], labor [shortage of workers, higher wages due to shortage or artificial increases in minimum wage, higher benefits cost]

When was the last time you saw a company trade lower profits  to pay for  higher costs?
bout never.

Now at the rancher side

Inputs to raise animals  are going up

feed fertilizer fuel
while market  prices stay the same because everyone above them on the production chain are also dealing with higher costs and to control costs they are not offering higher prices for the produce

the guy at the bottom gets hurt the most
It's a market problem that is being influenced by outside pressures artificially created by policies of our government.

FIL's cow-calf herd is down to 45 head from 300 two years ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The packers are not too big.  The  public is already bidding on meat.

There is no price gouging.
View Quote

You dont have a clue what you are talking about. Packers conspire to keep prices low for the rancher. They are the ones getting fucked. It has jack shit to do with the end user cost. You guys crack me up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Government intervention is a bad idea more times than not.  With a Biden government it's not going to go well.  

There is a problem with the meat packers monopoly but the solution is not government intervention.  Personally I think the only sustainable solution is farmers/ranchers having co-op packing plants.  It's a huge investment but would help packaged meat coincide with true market conditions and would help the ranchers get market value for their product
View Quote

Creating small meat packing COOPs are a viable solution.
Problem:  the cost of construction of these plants is a large endeavor.  materials and labor in the construction industry are still high, but maybe leveling off.

The U.S. government will be involved in these COOP's.  Government regulations are not going to be eased for these smaller meat packing operations.

So the COOP's are a good solution, but they are still expensive and a gamble for the producers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

the Chinese have been buying up pork processing plants in the USA, I wonder how much of this is graft meant to go straight to Chinese hands.
View Quote

Nah this is local farmer USDA graft.

Small potatoes.

The largest pork producer, Smithfield owned by the Chinese has annual revenues of like 15 billion.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope the elites enjoy the results of not helping Trump and letting Biden claim the victory.  I'm not going to feel bad about billion dollar companies getting screwed with extra regulations when they did not work to prevent Biden from being President.  Of course it is the little guy that ultimately gets screwed with higher prices but we knew that the Biden was sworn in.
View Quote

or is that just part of the game, part of the illusion

pulling the ladder up behind themselves
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I make a product.  Company A is willing to pay $X.  But Company B is willing to pay more.  And Company C offers even more.

Is it immoral for me to sell to C?  Fuck no.  Is it immoral for labor to move to a job that pays better?  No.  It it wrong to sell your home to the highest bidder?  NO!

You don't have to have beef to live.  There is the Law of Substitution which says that when a product is no longer available at a price the buyer is willing to pay, they will buy something else.  Instead of beef, they'll buy chicken or beans or pork or whatever.  You may not like it, but beef is protein.  It is hardly the only source of protein.  Steak tastes great, but I have news for all you snowflakes, no one owes you great tasting food.

NO ONE OWES YOU ANY PRODUCT.  YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRICE GOUGING.

Everyone knows Biden is an idiot.  Commies and even bigger idiots pull his strings.

But I would think that GD would understand the Law of Supply and Demand.  The market is always right.  If an item sells, it is priced properly.  If it doesn't sell, the price will likely drop.
View Quote

"just buy the bugs"
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Problem:  the cost of construction of these plants is a large endeavor.  materials and labor in the construction industry are still high, but maybe leveling off.

The U.S. government will be involved in these COOP's.  Government regulations are not going to be eased for these smaller meat packing operations.

So the COOP's are a good solution, but they are still expensive and a gamble for the producers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Government intervention is a bad idea more times than not.  With a Biden government it's not going to go well.  

There is a problem with the meat packers monopoly but the solution is not government intervention.  Personally I think the only sustainable solution is farmers/ranchers having co-op packing plants.  It's a huge investment but would help packaged meat coincide with true market conditions and would help the ranchers get market value for their product

said coops will be a threat to big ag

big ag will use its influence w/big gov to minimize the effects of coops
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

People have more money.

People buy meat they wouldn't normally buy.

Demand goes up.

Company raises prices thus more profit.

Where's the problem?
View Quote

Problem is the Packers set the price of fat cattle.  Feedlots are lucky to break even now.  If there was competition, fat prices would be much higher.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like an attempt to create new small meat processors to expand capacity outside of the big 4. Trying to fix an issue created by the government which allowed consolidation and acquisition in the market. Use public funds/more debt to create businesses which will later be bought up by a foreign entity with someone likely getting a kickback along the way.

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You made the claim, you cite the sources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google, meat packer profits, then get back to me.

You made the claim, you cite the sources.

He is correct.  Meat packers have been fucking hog and cattle farmers for a long time now.

I will cite sources when I get back to a computer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not the cost of beef on the hoof.

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#31]
fjb
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Margins and inflation: How do they work?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What little I know about meat production has me scratching my head when it comes to logic behind labels and rules.  But it's just the normal screwed up government red tape.  Should cut a huge chunk of it out.

I was happy to find a butcher in the city near my that seems to have capacity.  Most butchers I know of have insane lead times, and anyone with a small personal herd is pretty much out of luck on finding reasonable openings.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I predict this will result in even higher meat prices.  
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/biden-target-meatpacking-giants-inflation
View Quote

Of course it will.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#35]
We knew this was going to happen last year at the start of covid. It will take another year or two for the effects to reduce. But costs will never get back down to where they were. Increased labor costs will see to that.

Also, a small packer still processes hundred of head a day. So it's not like you are going to get a mom/pop operation going with the $1 billion Brandon has set aside. Hell, just one plant will set you back $1 billion.

Maybe more people should learn where their food comes from and the level of effort it takes to stock their local grocery store.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Clown world all the way down.

Our betters think the economy is just the monetary, and yet they think inflation isn't monetary at all.

They have learned nothing and have forgotten nothing.

The crash is going to be epic. We've had the financial services sector of our economy be the largest share of total profits in the economy for a couple decades. The parasites are in control and the host is almost dead. And they think the productive classes are the parasites to boot thats why the blue states claim they pay more in taxes than they get back.

I can't tell if we're Germany circa 1933, or 1939. We're running out of other people's money so we put a socialist in office, or we have the socialist and we have to start a war because we have run out of other people's money.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#37]

including $1 billion in federal funding from the coronavirus relief package to help expand independent meat and poultry processing capacity.
View Quote

I'll bet all of the "independent meat and poultry" facilities that get this money are owned or invested in by his friends and donors.

Also LOL that he's "fighting inflation" by printing more funny money.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google money printer go brrrrrrrrrrrr
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Margins and inflation: How do they work?
View Quote

How do monopolies work?  JBS is one of the largest and owned by a Brazillian company.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Big meat
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Here are details of the plan.  Sounds like more cash handouts.  

"USDA will dedicate $100 million to support development of a well-trained workforce" - cash for training "union workers".  
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/01/03/fact-sheet-the-biden-harris-action-plan-for-a-fairer-more-competitive-and-more-resilient-meat-and-poultry-supply-chain/
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I guess voting with feet is out of the question?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You dont have a clue what you are talking about. Packers conspire to keep prices low for the rancher. They are the ones getting fucked. It has jack shit to do with the end user cost. You guys crack me up.
View Quote

Supply and demand. If your prices are too low, then someone is overproducing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Price controls goes hand-in-hand with hyper-inflation.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Its pretty simple really.  Drive the little guys out of business.  Subsidize and regulate the big companies.  Now you control the food supply.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#47]
The beef supply chain in this country is a very interesting arrangement.   From the relatively small producers of calves/yearlings, to the auctions/feed lot buyers/operators, to the packers, to the distribution into the grocery store chains.  

And, like a number of other commodites, many would be surprised at the various profit margins in the supply chain.   Sadly, on the ranch/on the farm, the profit margins tend to be real thin, but they tend to take on a disproportionate share of the business risk.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How do monopolies work?  JBS is one of the largest and owned by a Brazillian company.
View Quote

They’re supposed to just eat inflation?

Labor rates are up.
Natural gas rates are up.
Price of grain is up.
Price of fertilizer is up.
Ranchers are selling at a higher price.

Everything is up.  

Tell me how I know you’re not in business, without tell me you’re not in business.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#49]
The article is incomplete.  Increased whatever but fails to mention from what percent to what percent.  Are they getting rich or going from razor-thin profits to merely thin profits?  What kind of looming labor, plant and equipment expenditures do the processors face?  Any new expensive regulatory bullshit that they have to pay for?  Any capital intensive capacity expansion planned?  Quite a few potential reasons to need to accumulate some cash.  The article mentions dividends and stock buybacks but not what percentage of gross or net profit that represents.  Companies need to retain investors maybe just a little?

I'm NOT saying the consumer is being raped or not being raped by these companies.  The article is shit so either the reporter is a moron or deliberately omitting context.  Reuters so the reporter is probably both.  

"Those statements showed a 120% collective jump in their gross profits since the pandemic and a 500% increase in net income, the analysis shows."

Edit - I'm talking about the consumer price side.  Supplier side is tough.  Sounds like the Big 4 meat processors are doing what the Big 3 automotive companies did/are doing to their component suppliers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Reality in life is if government touches it, it gets more expensive.  If Democrats are involved the increase will be at least double what a lesser idiot touching it would be.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top