Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesus, the idiot is actually trying to be Upton Sinclair now!

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Biden is a moron.

Shut down a pipeline, force us to yet again be dependent on foreign governments for fuel.

Cost of fuel, oil, grease. As well as styrofoam, plastics, fertilizer and herbicides to sky rocket.

Also destroyed the economy causing massive inflation and shortages.

Guess what fuckO? If my fuel, oil and greast costs have doubled. The operating cost of my equipment has doubled......  it cost twice as much for me to make hay. Not even counting managing my fields.

If it cost double to feed my animals, double in fuel tobtruck them and double for packaging. Someone has to pay for that.

I have people 4-5 hours away I haven't talked to for years begging for hay I don't have to sell. Offering me triple for a load I don't have.

Why don't I have an extra 1,000 bales this year? Oh because covid supply shortage bullshit. Tractor down for 2 weeks waiting on and $8 part... get fucked. Baling twine unobtanium... get fucked. Oh you need new knives for the hay mower?... get fucked. How about that ag tire that took 6 weeks to get.... get fucked.

Thankfully we have plenty of hay for our own animals.

View Quote

Biden is a moron. More specifically, he's a near brain dead potato. But don't make the mistake of thinking all of this is being done by accident, or that he is the one making any decisions. He never has been.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They’re supposed to just eat inflation?

Labor rates are up.
Natural gas rates are up.
Price of grain is up.
Price of fertilizer is up.
Ranchers are selling at a higher price.

Everything is up.  

Tell me how I know you’re not in business, without tell me you’re not in business.
View Quote
https://www.drovers.com/news/beef-production/profit-tracker-huge-packer-margins
Last week beef packers found average profit margins of $519 per head, based on calculations by Sterling Marketing. That was an increase of $75 per head from the previous week, and despite the fact cash fed cattle prices increased $1 per cwt. to an average of $110.

I sell my yearlings this week, don't think they are up much from last year and much below 5 years ago.  Why the smart ass remark on being in business?  Been self employed for over 40 years now and see no reason to be an asshole.

If anyone believes FJB will do any good then why are cattle futures down today?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.drovers.com/news/beef-production/profit-tracker-huge-packer-margins
Last week beef packers found average profit margins of $519 per head, based on calculations by Sterling Marketing. That was an increase of $75 per head from the previous week, and despite the fact cash fed cattle prices increased $1 per cwt. to an average of $110.

I sell my yearlings this week, don't think they are up much from last year and much below 5 years ago.  Why the smart ass remark on being in business?  Been self employed for over 40 years now and see no reason to be an asshole.

If anyone believes FJB will do any good then why are cattle futures down today?
View Quote
I'm with you.  
Retail beef prices seem to be up 200-300%.  But that increase is not going to the cattlemen.  

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Anytime the Dems use the work "fair", someone is getting fucked.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Creating small meat packing COOPs are a viable solution.
Problem:  the cost of construction of these plants is a large endeavor.  materials and labor in the construction industry are still high, but maybe leveling off.

The U.S. government will be involved in these COOP's.  Government regulations are not going to be eased for these smaller meat packing operations.

So the COOP's are a good solution, but they are still expensive and a gamble for the producers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Government intervention is a bad idea more times than not.  With a Biden government it's not going to go well.  

There is a problem with the meat packers monopoly but the solution is not government intervention.  Personally I think the only sustainable solution is farmers/ranchers having co-op packing plants.  It's a huge investment but would help packaged meat coincide with true market conditions and would help the ranchers get market value for their product

Problem:  the cost of construction of these plants is a large endeavor.  materials and labor in the construction industry are still high, but maybe leveling off.

The U.S. government will be involved in these COOP's.  Government regulations are not going to be eased for these smaller meat packing operations.

So the COOP's are a good solution, but they are still expensive and a gamble for the producers.

I don't disagree and it is definitely a huge gamble but one that could also pay off huge.  I'm glad I don't have to be the one to gamble it one way or ths other
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They have been saying this for over a year yet packer profits keep climbing.  As long as the big guy gets his cut, nothing will happen.
View Quote

Remember, most of the big packers are either partially or fully owned by the Chicoms.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Welp.  There goes salad days of meat....
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
We’ve stopped eating beef almost completely except for burgers once in a while. We eat more chicken and pork instead.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So democrats created a situation where nobody wanted to work.  Meat packers couldn't keep employees and had to offer incentives while at the same time had to cut production to maintain an illusion of keeping employees safe.  Cost of transportation went through the roof employee wages went through the roof, and we wonder why beef prices went up.  

Senior maintenance mechanics at the plant closest to me makes $30 an hour, and they can get up to 60 hours a week.
View Quote

$30/hr?
Uhm... why are they accepting such low wages?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Remember, most of the big packers are either partially or fully owned by the Chicoms.
View Quote

JBS is a crime syndicate from Brazil, they are the biggest cattle packer.  Kenny Monfort has to be spinning in his grave with what his sons did to his legacy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We’ve stopped eating beef almost completely except for burgers once in a while. We eat more chicken and pork instead.
View Quote

That is what pisses me off.  High prices killing the demand, providing the rancher with a future fucking.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Profits haven't been climbing, costs are going up.
View Quote

This. Everything agricultural is getting super expensive.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
News flash Brandon, bacon is pushing $10 a pound in California and it is not because of greedy Big Meat practices.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
He just wants to build them a home, a little place of their own...those damn meat packing glitterati.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He just wants to build them a home, a little place of their own...those damn meat packing glitterati.
View Quote

... a home for incurable Tysons and Burger Kings.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Government monopoly creates issues with getting a cow to slaughter.  What’s the solution?  More government regulations.

It’s like using cancer to treat cancer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Government monopoly creates issues with getting a cow to slaughter.  What’s the solution?  More government regulations.

It’s like using cancer to treat cancer.
View Quote

Please don't make that comparison. They'll start pushing for it!
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Right on schedule.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you for the smile. Hit me at the perfect time
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I’m not arguing. It’s a genuine question.

What questionable practices?
View Quote

Meat packers' profit margins jumped 300% during pandemic

WASHINGTON, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Four of the biggest meat-processing companies, using their market power in the highly consolidated U.S. market to drive up meat prices and underpay farmers, have tripled their own net profit margins since the pandemic started, White House economics advisers said.

Financial statements of the meat-processing companies - which control 55%-85% of the market for beef, poultry and pork - contradict claims that rising meat prices were caused by higher labor or transportation costs
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Make a guess, Biden will build up the large but not largest meat packets so they wipe out the last of the holds out. Then a few mergers and there will be only one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So we pay them off and hope they lower prices.  Sounds great.
View Quote
Hell I'd just hope it goes to some people to start butcher shops since all the ones around here are booked up for 3 years with appointments. You couldn't even get a beef or hog processed if you wanted to. They weren't even taking deer during deer season.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh look, Hunter has a new art gallery exhibit for sale, only $500k.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/195/9946936_orig_jpg-2226915.JPG

No coincidence at all.

Kharn
View Quote
All the teets on that cow....one for whole milk, 2%, 1% fat free, Chocolate milk and buttermilk!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Big Meat Packers are oligopoly companies who collude screw ranchers, workers, and consumers. Fuck em. Bring back competition.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:13:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Meat Industrial Complex
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#30]
This sure seems like a political discussion.  Don't we have another forum for that?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Google, meat packer profits, then get back to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Profits haven't been climbing, costs are going up.

Google, meat packer profits, then get back to me.

Google "right wing insurrection" and get back to me.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I make a product.  Company A is willing to pay $X.  But Company B is willing to pay more.  And Company C offers even more.

Is it immoral for me to sell to C?  Fuck no.  Is it immoral for labor to move to a job that pays better?  No.  It it wrong to sell your home to the highest bidder?  NO!

You don't have to have beef to live.  There is the Law of Substitution which says that when a product is no longer available at a price the buyer is willing to pay, they will buy something else.  Instead of beef, they'll buy chicken or beans or pork or whatever.  You may not like it, but beef is protein.  It is hardly the only source of protein.  Steak tastes great, but I have news for all you snowflakes, no one owes you great tasting food.

NO ONE OWES YOU ANY PRODUCT.  YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRICE GOUGING.

Everyone knows Biden is an idiot.  Commies and even bigger idiots pull his strings.

But I would think that GD would understand the Law of Supply and Demand.  The market is always right.  If an item sells, it is priced properly.  If it doesn't sell, the price will likely drop.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:27:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Good to know ahead of time prices will go up another 25%
View Quote

It will be more like 250%
At least
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

WASHINGTON, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Four of the biggest meat-processing companies, using their market power in the highly consolidated U.S. market to drive up meat prices and underpay farmers, have tripled their own net profit margins since the pandemic started, White House economics advisers said.

Financial statements of the meat-processing companies - which control 55%-85% of the market for beef, poultry and pork - contradict claims that rising meat prices were caused by higher labor or transportation costs
View All Quotes
Quoted:

We have a huge problem with our government in the country, but there are plenty of corporations that are butt fucking the consumer and a lot of people are blaming Biden, when in reality its just money hungry CEOs that can hide behind the COVID shit because people are stupid. Way, way to fucking stupid to look at quarterly and annual numbers to compare something as simple as margins and margin growth.

Having said all of that, Im not 100% what numbers the WH is using. Margin growth has been a thing in the industry but, from my little research, I don't see what they are seeing. Its not nearly as bad as some other areas at the moment. Having said that, doing billions worth of even more stock buy backs in a time when meat prices are sky rocketing is probably not the best look.

Of course the easiest way for the world to handle this is end this bull shit COVID crap and stop giving world governments and world corporations a like the excuse to hide behind. IMO
Quoted:
I make a product.  Company A is willing to pay $X.  But Company B is willing to pay more.  And Company C offers even more.

Is it immoral for me to sell to C?  Fuck no.  Is it immoral for labor to move to a job that pays better?  No.  It it wrong to sell your home to the highest bidder?  NO!

You don't have to have beef to live.  There is the Law of Substitution which says that when a product is no longer available at a price the buyer is willing to pay, they will buy something else.  Instead of beef, they'll buy chicken or beans or pork or whatever.  You may not like it, but beef is protein.  It is hardly the only source of protein.  Steak tastes great, but I have news for all you snowflakes, no one owes you great tasting food.

NO ONE OWES YOU ANY PRODUCT.  YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT.  THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRICE GOUGING.

Everyone knows Biden is an idiot.  Commies and even bigger idiots pull his strings.

But I would think that GD would understand the Law of Supply and Demand.  The market is always right.  If an item sells, it is priced properly.  If it doesn't sell, the price will likely drop.

Oh i want to agree and I want to agree so badly because in theory you are right.

My one argument though is that you are talking in terms of a true free market, and we don't have that.
The .gov is so incredibly happy to get in the way of what you are talking about it isn't funny.

Perfect example, in a lot of cases even if you could raise the capital to fight in some of the hyper-consolidated markets, the .gov is going to quickly jump to big corporates side to block out the competition. Just look at oil. Even if you could find the capital to drill more oil wells, is the US gov going to let you? lol nope. If they let you will it only be after you have the EPA/OSHA etc. etc. so far up your ass they are coming out of your ears? yep.
And i can give you plenty of markets that are the same way.

Want to start an airline and expand out of New York city? Sorry no slots at JFK/LGA. No gates at EWR (and will probably soon be back on a slot program). Want to expand those airports? Sorry nope. Can't go out into the water, EPA wont let you. Can expand into any of the surrounding areas and even if you could it would cost an ungodly amount of money.

So in some cases, I agree but in some cases I disagree. On the topic at hand, does the US have enough chicken/pork/fish etc, to feed everyone to be able to reduce beef consumption enough to get prices in-line? I don't know but im going to guess not. Does the US have the ability, have the governmental support, to grow other industries rapidly to replace the supply of beef? I'm also going to guess thats a big no.

DC and the idiot states need to back the fuck off if they really want to help. But they don't so here we are.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Will there be Equity involved?

For some reason that’s the magic phrase these days
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#36]
These threads always bring out the Pollyanna free market types.

News flash, we don't have a free-market system and haven't in probably 100 years since the .gov starting sticking their nose into everyone's business.  

Google "regulatory capture" and you will understand a lot about how monopolies and near-monopolies like the meat packing industry are created.

1.  An industry naturally results in some large players.  This is fine but also where things start to go wrong because of the influence of government.
2.  Those large players buy themselves some regulators and politicians to wield like a club against their smaller competitors.
3.  The regulators rig the game with onerous .gov requirements so that only the large players can afford to navigate the system.
4.  Large players buy out the smaller players who can no longer compete effectively because an outsized portion of their profits relative to their size is sucked up dealing with the regulatory burden.
5.  The monopoly is locked in and competition is dead.

What is going on now is just Kabuki theater.  The packers are fine with Brandon thumping his chest.  They are in on the game and know it won't mean shit in the end.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm honestly getting sick of the president of the united states constantly whining that somebody else needs to fix the problems because it is their fault and he can't do anything.
If the situation was exactly the same and trump was in charge, by god he would get something done.
I'm getting tired of my weak president.
View Quote

What he actually did do was put us trillions of dollars in debt over his four years...and then ultimately lose to a guy riddled with dementia.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry but this is an incredibly high-school level interpretation of a very complex economic system.

The market isn't always right. Even the most pro-Capitalist economist knows that.

Don't call other people snowflakes while espousing some #basic explanation on the rest of us.

Monopoly power gained over time due to heavy government regulation of the food supply and used to rapidly increase profits isn't free market capitalism and all your capitalizing of sentences isn't going to change that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
These threads always bring out the Pollyanna free market types.

News flash, we don't have a free-market system and haven't in probably 100 years since the .gov starting sticking their nose into everyone's business.  

Google "regulatory capture" and you will understand a lot about how monopolies and near-monopolies like the meat packing industry are created.

1.  An industry naturally results in some large players.  This is fine but also where things start to go wrong because of the influence of government.
2.  Those large players buy themselves some regulators and politicians to wield like a club against their smaller competitors.
3.  The regulators rig the game with onerous .gov requirements so that only the large players can afford to navigate the system.
4.  Large players buy out the smaller players who can no longer compete effectively because an outsized portion of their profits relative to their size is sucked up dealing with the regulatory burden.
5.  The monopoly is locked in and competition is dead.

What is going on now is just Kabuki theater.  The packers are fine with Brandon thumping his chest.  They are in on the game and know it won't mean shit in the end.
View Quote

Thank you for giving a more college-level explanation to the high-school version I read on the previous page.  I wonder why it's missing all the CAPS
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is bullshit and you know it.  Sure, in a true free market system, things do balance out, but bad regulations, government subsidies, manipulated labor markets, special interests, and crony-capitalism create an illusionary market; and monopolies allowed to eliminate competition are naturally inclined to set artificial prices and neglect quality.

Consumers should be the enforcers of a natural balance, but a corrupt government influenced by special interests and foreign money, and corporations who have bribed big government, have fucked the free market up. To ignore those factors and the impacts on the "Law of Supply and Demand", the free market, and competition is economic ignorance.  

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#41]
$30 an hour for a senior maintenance mechanic OMG. That’s definitely the problem. Lower wages now!
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
$30 an hour for a senior maintenance mechanic OMG. That’s definitely the problem. Lower wages now!
View Quote

Get MORE cheap Mexicans in there! Free market!
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:04:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Where's all that money coming from?
View Quote

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The Packers are just too big, the only thing I can think of is they should be a fee for service industry doing it for hire for third parties. Probably with price slot set by public bid.
View Quote

That is true in most areas of agriculture--seed, biotech, pesticides, machinery.

Consolidation of corporations reduces competition.

There are only 4 main packers.

No idea what to do about it.  Gov will only make it worse.

One thing about meat packing, it's labor intensive and easy to destroy by unionizing.  Billings used to have two packing plants.

They closed many years ago.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Government intervention is a bad idea more times than not.  With a Biden government it's not going to go well.  

There is a problem with the meat packers monopoly but the solution is not government intervention.  Personally I think the only sustainable solution is farmers/ranchers having co-op packing plants.  It's a huge investment but would help packaged meat coincide with true market conditions and would help the ranchers get market value for their product
View Quote

This absolutely the answer. Decentralize everything. The government can still inspect the facilities. But let’s have it like we did back in the early days. There was a butcher or three in every county.

I started raising animals in 2019.  Enough to sell.  I pay my feed bills and my family eats for free year round. Granted I have time in it. But it is a barely profitable small business. Add in tax savings on my W2 job, eating for free year round and end the year with a couple extra thousand after business bills are paid.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Government regulation is the cause of the near monopolization of meat packing, so I'm sure more government is the solution.
View Quote

Yes, there is meat processor in Cody trying to get licensed for interstate sale of meat.  If it succeeds it will be the only one in WY.

According to the local newspaper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

This seems to be unpossible.  Every so often somebody floats the idea of local meat processing.  I tend to expect these projects to fail

and the organizers to walk away with a chunk of a lot of people's money.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

People have more money.

People buy meat they wouldn't normally buy.

Demand goes up.

Company raises prices thus more profit.

Where's the problem?
View Quote

You can't be serious.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What little I know about meat production has me scratching my head when it comes to logic behind labels and rules.  But it's just the normal screwed up government red tape.  Should cut a huge chunk of it out.

I was happy to find a butcher in the city near my that seems to have capacity.  Most butchers I know of have insane lead times, and anyone with a small personal herd is pretty much out of luck on finding reasonable openings.
View Quote

The problem with farming and ranching is your customer is your worst enemy.  The beef checkoff ($1/head at sale) is paid by the cow/calf

guy, and mainly benefits the packer and retailer.  And they also fight COOL (country of origin labeling) because it would add to their costs

to keep track of where meat is from (a tiny percentage of meat from other countries is inspected by the USDA).
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anytime the Dems use the work "fair", someone is getting fucked.
View Quote

Yes, and that someone is us proles.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top