Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/10/2022 2:59:07 PM EDT
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hawley-bill-end-disneys-special-copyright-protections

Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., is introducing legislation that would strip the Walt Disney Company of special copyright protections granted to the corporation by Congress, while also limiting the length of new copyrights.

The "Copyright Clause Restoration Act of 2022" would cap the length of copyrights given corporations by Congress to 56 years and retroactively implement this change on companies, including Walt Disney.
View Quote

. Go woke, go broke. The shareholders are gonna be PISSED.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope they burn Disney to the ground.

Figuratively.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck that dirty old mouse
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Good. That never should have been allowed in the first place.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Its sad whet the insane sexual deviants have done to that company.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
He's pissing up the wrong tree and will get shot down by all the GOP donors who make money from copyright holdings.

But yeah go woke, fight the glomohobia Phobos, and pedo Joe.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Figuratively.
View Quote

I'm ok with either way.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
So, am I hearing Disney had a special deal to run its own government, keep copyrights longer than other companies, and avoid taxes?

Did Walt Disney have blackmail photos of JFK with snow white and all 7 dwarfs?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Taking a piece of the rats cheese...
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So, am I hearing Disney had a special deal to run its own government, keep copyrights longer than other companies, and avoid taxes?

Did Walt Disney have blackmail photos of JFK with snow white and all 7 dwarfs?
View Quote

Oswald was secretly hired by Disney and whacked JFK after he was seen by Donald Duck boinking Minnie Mouse.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Taking a piece of the rats cheese...
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
"special copyright protections granted to the corporation by Congress"

Government in bed with corporations?  What is that called again?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
It needs to be 10 years, maybe even shorter.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Walt would have been very disheartened to see the company that bears name has become today.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]
isn't 56 years enough?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:35:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Disney has legions of lawyers.
If this passes there will be something heavier on the other end of the seesaw to counteract it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes copyright lengths need to be restored to some reasonable sanity. They kept jacking the length longer and longer because media companies wanted ongoing protection and congress was happy to sell their souls do their bidding for them. I believe the "Sonny Bono Act" was the last major extension. SCOTUS did not help either when it interpreted the Constitution's "limited time" clause to include (IIRC) infinity minus one second which, after all, is "limited"
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disney was shit from the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

The previous CEO, Iger, packed it with wokes.

Chapek's primary goal when he took over was to de-politicize Disney. Run it like a business and not an activist corporation.

But the wokes were so amazingly vocal (and nobody had balls enough to tell them to STFU, including Chapek) that they are now paying the price.

There's a credible theory out there that Chapek reversed his position on this expressly to create the situation they are in now.

In other words, he's letting the damage to Disney occur, and doing so in such a way that there's no doubt to anyone that it's the wokes that caused it entirely.

This will eventually confer more power to him with which to enforce his original goal.  

So he may be coming from a perspective of:

"Let's tolerate a little damage now versus a LOT later, clean out all of Iger's wokes, and then we go back to making muthafuckin' money."

And he does all this from the "I told you so" throne.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Walt immediately fired a cartoonist for drawing Mickey boinking Minnie at a party. For some reason the company has always drawn weirdos.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The previous CEO, Iger, packed it with wokes.

Chapek's primary goal when he took over was to de-politicize Disney. Run it like a business and not an activist corporation.

But the wokes were so amazingly vocal (and nobody had balls enough to tell them to STFU, including Chapek) that they are now paying the price.

There's a credible theory out there that Chapek reversed his position on this expressly to create the situation they are in now.

In other words, he's letting the damage to Disney occur, and doing so in such a way that there's no doubt to anyone that it's the wokes that caused it entirely.

This will eventually confer more power to him with which to enforce his original goal.  

So he may be coming from a perspective of:

"Let's tolerate a little damage now versus a LOT later, clean out all of Iger's wokes, and then we go back to making muthafuckin' money."

And he does all this from the "I told you so" throne.
View Quote

That's Game of Thrones (corporate world) level badassery. If true....
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't even care.  Nuke em.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Walt immediately fired a cartoonist for drawing Mickey boinking Minnie at a party. For some reason the company has always drawn weirdos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In California.   No way ;)
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm so glad to see this.  After they openly stated they want to indoctrinate my kids/family into their woke mindset I'm already limiting anything they put out in my house.  This includes Marvel and Star Wars sadly. I used to enjoy them...
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Feel bad for parents of conscience that have small children. Has to be very difficult.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Still too long, but it's a start.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Aside from the absolutely wrong copyright protection by Congress.  

I wonder if this is actually the end game.  Infiltrate corporations and organizations and burn them to the ground.  They have done the same to basically all sports, lot of companies and even the Boy Scouts.  

If true, it’s really working.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#29]
No idea if any hits land on target, but I'll bet that fucking mouse's shareholders are damn sure tired of taking the incoming fire.

At some point perhaps they'll realize that the wokesters aren't worth trading rounds over.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No idea if any hits land on target, but I'll bet that fucking mouse's shareholders are damn sure tired of taking the incoming fire.

At some point perhaps they'll realize that the wokesters aren't worth trading rounds over.
View Quote
This isn't really a shot at Disney. we've needed copyright reform for a long while. I've always been in favor of a 10 year cutoff period, personally.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This isn't really a shot at Disney. we've needed copyright reform for a long while. I've always been in favor of a 10 year cutoff period, personally.
View Quote

Sounds reasonable to me I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Figuratively.
View Quote

I would also take literally. It would satisfy me to watch everything burn at Disney.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s interesting to see the curtain pulled back on all the corporate favoritism they’ve enjoyed from the government though. Woke or not it’s bullshit that should’ve never stood.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I would also take literally. It would satisfy me to watch everything burn at Disney.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Figuratively.

I used to live about a mile away from the northernmost border to Disney. Free fireworks show every night.   Watching that bitch burn from there would be -epic-.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't understand, is this making it to where their original IPs like say Pirates of the Caribbean no longer belongs to them after a set period of time and then it's open to the public?
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
"special copyright protections granted to the corporation by Congress"

Government in bed with corporations?  What is that called again?
View Quote

Either fascism, cronyism or Chinese communism.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#38]
About time.  Always been bullshit that Disney got to play by different rules.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:23:16 PM EDT
[#39]
so almost anything ok they made will be downloadable
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's Game of Thrones (corporate world) level badassery. If true....
View Quote

Truly so.

Think about it - He can't challenge or speak out against them directly.

He wouldn't dare. He'd be eaten alive.

But he can stick the blame for staggering losses on them very directly, and then have the platform he wanted, from which to continue depoliticizing Disney.

Chapek is no dummy. He's turning wokism into a tar baby that the company and it's BoD will avoid touching for years to come.

I really do think this is his longer term strategy. Because simply has no other play, and political neutrality is already his stated direction.

"Get woke? .....Go broke."
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Ol joshy poo must have shorted disney stock.

Look behind the curtain
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don't understand, is this making it to where their original IPs like say Pirates of the Caribbean no longer belongs to them after a set period of time and then it's open to the public?
View Quote
Correct. They become public domain. That doesn't mean Disney would stop selling them, it just means your great grandson wouldn't get sued for ripping toy story off of one of your old vhs tapes. Piracy is mainly a problem of distribution that's largely been solved in the internet age anyway. It would still be profitable  for them to sell their back catalog, and most watchers would still pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I like to see our side fight back. Finally.

Take down pedo-land.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Correct. They become public domain. That doesn't mean Disney would stop selling them, it just means your great grandson wouldn't get sued for ripping toy story off of one of your old vhs tapes. Piracy is mainly a problem of distribution that's largely been solved in the internet age anyway. It would still be profitable  for them to sell their back catalog, and most watchers would still pay for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what you will about Disney, but that's not right and that sets a bad prescient. They spent millions of dollars acquiring or cultivating their IPs and it's their property. You'll own nothing and you'll like it I guess.

Unless I am really misunderstanding this while thing which I may be
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#46]
They should do this anyways.

The last copyright extension in 1998 was called the Mickey Mouse law because Disney didn't want Mickey to go into the public domain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act

If they did this, they would be taking something back that shouldn't have been given in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#47]
"The age of Republican handouts to Big Business is over. Thanks to special copyright protections from Congress, woke corporations like Disney have earned billions while increasingly pandering to woke activists. It's time to take away Disney's special privileges and open up a new era of creativity and innovation," Hawley told Fox News Digital in an exclusive statement.
View Quote

LOL. Yeah I'm sure this is gonna sail through both houses of Congress straight to Biden's desk.

Not that I don't agree with the attempt, but this sounds like minority party posturing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Say what you will about Disney, but that's not right and that sets a bad prescient. They spent millions of dollars acquiring or cultivating their IPs and it's their property. You'll own nothing and you'll like it I guess
View Quote
Well no, actually it is right, and results in a more favorable market for both consumers and companies. Gabe Newell practically proved this with steam, and became a billionaire as a result. When presented with an easily accessible, acceptibly priced way to access a back catalog, people tend to err on the side of paying over piracy. This is why other companies have copied steam, and many classic games are available for purchase that previously were only attainable through piracy and fan patches to make them playable on modern computers. It's why streaming is now the main way people access entertainment, and why this wouldn't hurt Disney's bottom line, which believe me, they know.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Well no, actually it is right, and results in a more favorable market for both consumers and companies. Gabe Newell practically proved this with steam, and became a billionaire as a result. When presented with an easily accessible, acceptibly priced way to access a back catalog, people tend to err on the side of paying over piracy. This is why other companies have copied steam, and many classic games are available for purchase that previously were only attainable through piracy and fan patches to make them playable on modern computers. It's why streaming is now the main way people access entertainment, and why this wouldn't hurt Disney's bottom line, which believe me, they know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Say what you will about Disney, but that's not right and that sets a bad prescient. They spent millions of dollars acquiring or cultivating their IPs and it's their property. You'll own nothing and you'll like it I guess

So is it only Disney that has this exception they're trying to change? I would think that would apply to anyone's IP
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Truly so.

Think about it - He can't challenge or speak out against them directly.

He wouldn't dare. He'd be eaten alive.

But he can stick the blame for staggering losses on them very directly, and then have the platform he wanted, from which to continue depoliticizing Disney.

Chapek is no dummy. He's turning wokism into a tar baby that the company and it's BoD will avoid touching for years to come.

I really do think this is his longer term strategy. Because simply has no other play, and political neutrality is already his stated direction.

"Get woke? .....Go broke."
View Quote
While I would love to believe he's playing some crazy angle like that..I just can't at the current time.

Will gladly be wrong about it though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top