BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No LEO should be allowed to own, carry, or otherwise possess anything that is illegal for Joe citizen to. No exemptions period.

In places like NYC, Shitcago, and CA, cops would be nothing more than meter maids with rape whistles. In Texas cops could only CCW. In VA they if they want to walk around OCing their pistol and AR15, have at it.

If you're worried about this rule having an adverse affected on LEO saftey, repeal your shit gun control laws.

End of thread.  

I love the logic of the ill informed...  

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
not gonna read it all. probably somebody already said it.

my (your) tax dollars going to keep us all safe. boocoo tax dollars. small towns with tanks, mobile command centers.

also i find it interesting that in some ways modern mil operations are more like large scale drug raids than ole timey war, ala WWII and that cops tend to be more operator-like, especially since 911. sort of a blending of mil and police.

but like i said, the main thing pisses me off is the money spent on things...

Can you show me a dept with a "tank"?

some exasperation sure, but its the thought (money) that counts..see more here

The Nebraska State Patrol has three amphibious eight-wheeled tanks. Acquired almost three years ago, their highest achievement has been helping with a flood last year and with a shooting a couple of weeks ago. Overall, it has been deployed five times. At least, officers love driving them. “They’re fun,” said trooper Art Frerichs to the Lincoln Journal Star in 2010. And the ride, according to Patrol Sgt. Loveless, “is very smooth.”

In Lebanon, Tennessee, a town of less than 30,000 people, Mike Justice, the public safety coordinator, was so eager to accumulate military goods that he used to wake up at 3:00 a.m. so he was the first person logged in at the government’s first-come, first-serve online store. Thanks to his sleepless nights, since 2007, Lebanon has collected $4 million worth of stuff, including tanks, weapons and heavy equipment like bulldozers and truck loaders. Lebanon’s tank, an LAV 150, has been used only “five or six times,” according to Justice. Although it did help save a man who tried to commit suicide, spotting him with the tank’s infrared camera.

Approximately a year ago, in the suburbs of Atlanta, two armed men robbed a convenience store and fled. The local Cobb County Police Department responded quickly. Following the directions of a witness, who saw the two suspects get into an abandoned house, they arrived at the scene, set a perimeter and called the SWAT team. It was the perfect time to roll out the amphibious armored tank, which was acquired to help officers in high-risk situations like this one. After ordering the suspects to surrender – and receiving no response – the SWAT team broke into the house and moved in. The suspects were nowhere to be found.

Take the 50-officer police department in Oxford, Alabama, a town of 20,000 people. It has stockpiled around $3 million of equipment, ranging from M-16s and helmet-mounted infrared goggles to its own armored vehicle, a Puma. In Tupelo, Mississippi, home to 35,000, the local police acquired a helicopter for only $7,500 through the surplus program. The chopper, however, had to be upgraded for $100,000 and it now costs $20,000 a year in maintenance.

In 2011 alone, more than 700,000 items were transferred to police departments for a total value of $500 million. This year, as of May 15, police departments already acquired almost $400 million worth of stuff. Last year’s record would have certainly been shattered if the Arizona Republic hadn’t revealed in early May that a local police department used the program to stockpile equipment – and then sold the gear to others, something that is strictly forbidden. Three weeks after the revelation, the Pentagon decided to partly suspend distribution of surplus material until all agencies could put together an up-to-date inventory of all the stuff they got through the years. A second effort, which gives federal grants to police departments to purchase equipment, is still ongoing, however. According to the Center for Investigative Reporting, since 9/11, the grants have totaled $34 billion.

granted a lot of this stuff is mil surplus, but your taxes still paid for it and it mostly has to be stored and maintained. and many cities are buying rolling command centers and such which arent cheap either

but heck citizen, if  you like paying taxes and you like mil stuff then i guess its a big plus plus....

Still no tanks.
Just saying LAVs, Bearcats, M113s etc are not tanks. Armored vehicle/personnel carriers are not tanks.

I swear 95% of this OMG militarization of the popo, OMG tanks and cargo pockets ...It is really getting over played.
I am beginning to bore with all the panic and drama.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to agree

So you are a form over function guy then.

Let me guess....you don't like facial hair on cops or pro baseball players either.

Let me ask You this

Do you do your best in Manners and Appearance to to make make your
department (and the Civilian Police Departments) cast in a positive light?

And please explain how wearing a mil style uniform makes you any safer

In the name of all that is holy, you can't fuckin understand that a non-traditional uniform for some details and units in a large department are more appropriate and it's more cost effective to use a class b type uniform in medium and small departments? Or are you just looking for something to bitch about?  

Yes I fully get (and have stated so) that certain units (Swat bomb squad etc) should have them.

BUT

The regular Patrol Officer should look like a Police officer.

I have asked this to others around here (Mil and non-mil alike) and that same answer comes up

Personally I think a Mil working uniform looks just like that (like work clothes)
It is not something that even looks good to see Military guys wearing out in town

and when I was in the Navy I NEVER wore my working uniform in the public's eye with the
exception of wearing it Only to go directly to Work and to home (not even to stop to get Gas).

I guess it is from a Older Generation of looking presentable whenever in public

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yes I fully get (and have stated so) that certain units (Swat bomb squad etc) should have them.

BUT

I have asked this to others around here (Mil and non-mil alike) and that same answer comes up

Personally I think a Mil working uniform looks just like that (like work clothes)

It is not something that even looks good to see Military guys wearing out in town

and when I was in the Navy I NEVER wore my working uniform in the public's eye with the

exception of wearing it Only to go directly to Work and to home (not even to stop to get Gas).

If you knew there was a good chance that you'd be getting into a fight or rolling around on the ground when you left the house, would you wear your Sunday best? Utility type uniforms are cheaper and easier to maintain. Cargo pockets do not make a military uniform.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT

If you knew there was a good chance that you'd be getting into a fight or rolling around on the ground when you left the house, would you wear your Sunday best? Utility type uniforms are cheaper and easier to maintain. Cargo pockets do not make a military uniform.

5.11 TDU pants run about 40 bucks a pair.
Polyesters run about 70 bucks a pair.

Factoring in 4-5 pairs per officer times whatever many officers, what would you, as a taxpayer, rather pay for?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to agree

So you are a form over function guy then.

Let me guess....you don't like facial hair on cops or pro baseball players either.

Let me ask You this

Do you do your best in Manners and Appearance to to make make your
department (and the Civilian Police Departments) cast in a positive light?

And please explain how wearing a mil style uniform makes you any safer

In the name of all that is holy, you can't fuckin understand that a non-traditional uniform for some details and units in a large department are more appropriate and it's more cost effective to use a class b type uniform in medium and small departments? Or are you just looking for something to bitch about?  

BUT

Strangely, unlike in the military a police officer might find himself having to roll around attempting to cuff suspects in the dirt regardless of whether or not he's in a special unit/detail. Generally, the military folks aren't going to be doing much rolling around in the dirt while wearing their more formal uniforms.

It's stupid to think that fashion and uniforms for the military and the rest of the public should progress with advances made in fabric, utility, and design while the police must continue to wear a uniform at least 60 years behind the times simply because it makes them "look like a cop". Never mind the simple undeniable fact that police uniforms have historically been adapted from what was it again... Oh yeah, military uniforms.

The military has recognized that there is a need for a more suitable uniform for combat and utility usage than the more formal style uniforms that they wore (even into combat in some forms) into the early 20th century - police are finally getting around to the fact that their uniform choice can be improved with respect to utility for general patrol work as well. Like it or not, it makes no sense suiting an officer up in a several hundred dollar polyester blend uniform only to have him ruin it in a fight with a resisting suspect while rolling around in an oil-stained parking lot when there are better, cheaper utility styled uniforms that are not only cooler (temperature wise) but allow for greater freedom of movement and more utility.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT

Factoring in 4-5 pairs per officer times whatever many officers, what would you, as a taxpayer, rather pay for?

And that assumes that the polyester uniform pants for your agency are of a traditional style/coloration that is available in bulk. Some agencies through tradition or other reasons have less common uniforms and therefore the expense is far greater.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

First: Because it would Vastly improve the public's view and remove much of the US and Them mentality.

Second: Did I ever say They should not have effective equipment?
The Officers I have seen around here wear a vest under their shirt so what
does it batter if it is a Mil type shirt or a Peace office looking shirt?.

As far as weapons which one has more "stopping power" 12 Ga Slug or .223
As far as rifles swap out the Black plastic and put on Wood or wood grain Plastic.
(remember Public Perception, after all a police officer is a PUBLIC Servant)

So what kind of furniture is on your AR?

Ask yourself this question

Which rifle looks scarier to Joe Q Public an all Black rifle, or one with wood Furniture?

If I was going to walk down the road to the range with a rifle which
one would tend to get someone to freak out over me carrying it?

Probably either one. How about we stop catering to morons?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uhhh a M109 is a self propelled howitzer not a tank.

Hence the "does that count" and smilie.  

NorCal
I wasn't posting that for you but for the tinfoilers that have ran huffing and puffing to their mothers basement and now sit, shaking in their now cold piss thumbing a already popped Pmag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm actually posting while wearing BDU's on duty. So FUCK YOU!!!!

ETA:

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

BUT

I've got a news flash for you from the real world (as opposed to the fantasyland that is Arfcom GD)...

Do you know what real people care about when they deal with the police?  They care that whoever shows up takes care of whatever drama has unfolded in the life.  They don't give one shit what kind of uniform said cop is wearing.

So since I work in the real world and only come here for entertainment, I will continue to wear pants with cargo pockets, a uniform polo shirt, and an exterior load bearing vest.  I've been dressing like that for the last five years now and you know how many 'OMG militarization' comments I've heard?  Not one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hey mister!  You work for me!  Now take off those evil BDUs and address me as SIR!!!!  (Then you can change into some regular, non-threatening pants)..

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No you are saying a regular patrol officer should look like WHAT YOU THINK a Police officer should look like. That they don't meet your biased expectations does not mean they are wrong.

"Looking presentable" is often the bastion of people who have no real answer for why something should be done. It's akin to "it's always been done this way". Very typical of managers instead of leaders.

You've been asked several times to explain why it's so important to look like a Normal Rockwell meets Andy from Mayberry type cop and have yet to give any real reason other than "looking presentable". I'm going to say it's pretty safe to assume you have no earthly idea other than "that's the way we did it back in my day".
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You own a plate carrier, pants with cargo pockets and an AR OP?

Do these guys? And I bet they could handle their shit.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qlUEV6bKv4Q/TfZZtjt_nJI/AAAAAAAAABk/kfHGv2yts9k/s1600/lawmen+mainst+sepia.jpg

That's a cool pic.  Different belt buckles.  Different pocket flaps.  Can anyone elaborate?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ETA:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/deputythrust/307961_4561608401009_969491693_n.jpg

Every time the pockets rip open... another piece of the constitution gets ripped up.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Whats the matter with dressing up and playing army?  I used to do it when i was a kid.  Half the cops I see now are just that.  Kids with a badge and gun.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qlUEV6bKv4Q/TfZZtjt_nJI/AAAAAAAAABk/kfHGv2yts9k/s1600/lawmen+mainst+sepia.jpg

That's a cool pic.  Different belt buckles.  Different pocket flaps.  Can anyone elaborate?

They would just kick the shit out of you and then put their lit cigarette out on your forehead.... I would imagine there are some in that photo who have killed suspects with their hands.  Probably the guys in the black hats...  

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

First: Because it would Vastly improve the public's view and remove much of the US and Them mentality.

As far as rifles swap out the Black plastic and put on Wood or wood grain Plastic.

I would guess you have no clue about the term "officer presence". Should I wear a fucking Hello Kitty costume so I don't hurt your feelings?  I think the pussification of America is far worse than the militarization of the police.

QFT
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT

I've got a news flash for you from the real world (as opposed to the fantasyland that is Arfcom GD)...

Do you know what real people care about when they deal with the police?  They care that whoever shows up takes care of whatever drama has unfolded in the life.  They don't give one shit what kind of uniform said cop is wearing.

So since I work in the real world and only come here for entertainment, I will continue to wear pants with cargo pockets, a uniform polo shirt, and an exterior load bearing vest.  I've been dressing like that for the last five years now and you know how many 'OMG militarization' comments I've heard?  Not one.

Because you scared the shit out of them, most likely...

Does the OP think cops should wear class A (long sleeve) shirts with all the brass on them, every day as well?

Here they switch between day and night uniforms. Day uniforms are class B (polyester, pocket/collar brass, all that) and night uniforms have everything (name tag, badge, patches) sewn onto the uniform shirt with BDUs as their pants. Sure, the day uniform probably looks more "professional", but having to wear an undershirt, a vest, a polyester uniform shirt, polyester pants, and a 30 pound gun belt in 100+ degree weather and 80% humidity all day, every day? That's kind of ridiculous.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]
OP I know what you're saying. Technology certainly is the Devil. My department just got rid of all SUV's and other vehicles because people were tired of seeing us in new cars/trucks- replaced them with this:

Because seriously, who are the police to be using COMPUTERS and carrying RIFLES, or wearing rifle plates/body armor?  Nobody needed that shit 100 years ago, so obviously everyone is wrong and OP is right. Obviously. I just traded my Glock for a black powder musket- happy now?
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

ETA:
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g255/deputythrust/307961_4561608401009_969491693_n.jpg

Yes!
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Whats the matter with dressing up and playing army?  I used to do it when i was a kid.  Half the cops I see now are just that.  Kids with a badge and gun.

That's a sure sign you're getting old, when policemen start looking very young.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a sure sign you're getting old, when policemen start looking very young.

You aren't kidding!  never thought it would happen but here i am.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey mister!  You work for me!  Now take off those evil BDUs and address me as SIR!!!!  (Then you can change into some regular, non-threatening pants)..

So, you want him to drop trow and um, "salute", you?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Upon further consideration,  I will in fact be wearing pants to work tomorrow.

Sounds like it's just me and VooDoo3dfx rocking it in the buff tomorrow.  

Rock out with yer cock out!!!

You too!?! Hurray! It's a party!

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/JAaSjf.gif

I bet that would tuck nice in a dept. issued jackboot

on a lighter note, I will in fact be wearing my issued bdu's, duty belt, and polo to work wednesday
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/bobjonesar15/JAaSjf.gif

I swear, I have watched that .GIF a dozen times in a row and it is still funny.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT

Mr_Harry

So you think police, I mean regular patrol should not wear (as you called it)  a working military style uniform.
You do understand that when you were in the Navy ( underway/working) that you wore your work dungarees, right? You wore them because the were specialized for working in.
When you went out on liberty or whatever you dressed up, because you weren't working and didn't need the work uniform. Right?

Weeeelllllllll

Evening and Midnight patrol  (regular patrol) rolls around on the ground, gets in foot and vehicle chases way more than any specialized unit.
SRT/SWAT gets called out when the rolling around gets out of hand and now there's a barricade or hostage incident etc .
You do understand that the lowly beat cop is working back bone of the Dept.

I work midnight patrol by choice. I have worked all shifts.
This year I am I  my 3rd set of boots and have destroyed numerous pairs of pant and one shirt.

The regular police (patrol)that you see out are the working force. So you want to deny us lighter weight clothing and functional gear just because it scares and intimidates you?
The thugs will thank you because now they know we're going to have a harder time chasing and catching them.

Hope you see how much sense your post mad.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I always giggle at that cat photo.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, you want him to drop trow and um, "salute", you?

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Because BDU's, nylon gear and external carriers make a ton more sense than the Banker's suits my people are still forced to wear.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:20:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT

Do you know what real people care about when they deal with the police? They care that whoever shows up takes care of whatever drama has unfolded in the life. They don't give one shit what kind of uniform said cop is wearing.

So since I work in the real world and only come here for entertainment, I will continue to wear pants with cargo pockets, a uniform polo shirt, and an exterior load bearing vest. I've been dressing like that for the last five years now and you know how many 'OMG militarization' comments I've heard? Not one.

I know there has been a "casualization" of the American workforce, but polo shirts are what guys who work the cash register at a minimart wear. Nothing wrong with doing that but subconsciously I don't associate polo shirts with someone in a position of authority. It signals being in a subservient position v. Wearing a real uniform. Not that I want to stand around directing traffic in a wool uniform all day.

I accidentally bought a bunch of 5.11 uniform pants by mistake years ago-oops- I'd have no problem wearing those around, I've worn them to classes and hiking, they not that different from bdu pants but look better.

What about a position of authority requires me to wear a uniform that is hot, gets dirty incredibly easy, costs more to replace, has to be replaced more often, and catches fire or melts when you pass too near a bare light bulb?

You know why I wear clothing that does all of that at work? Because we've always done it that way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bet they couldn't.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those guys,

1.  Had M1917 Bars and Tommy guns at the stations and shotguns in the car, possibly backed up by a rifle.
2.  Those guys were allowed to beat the ever loving fuck out of people, no questions asked no law suits no IA.  The only shit given by society was a ration to the guy getting stitches from the hickory shampoo for being dumb enough to piss off officer friendly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT

Shut up and put on your poly and Sam Browne PUBLIC SERVANT!

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 5:52:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

ETA:

You better only have a Wheel Gun and an 870 there Mister PUBLIC SERVANT!

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Many police officers have died because of people who think like you.

Bulllshit

Militarizing the police is always a bad idea

POCKETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd like to see what the general accepted definition of "militarization" is here on ARF.

I am curious as well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what kind of furniture is on your AR?

Ask yourself this question

Which rifle looks scarier to Joe Q Public an all Black rifle, or one with wood Furniture?

If I was going to walk down the road to the range with a rifle which
one would tend to get someone to freak out over me carrying it?

If my day has reached the point where I have to get out the AR, the message I want to send to Joe Q Public is to go the other way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
End the drug war, this will go away. But then that's the point.  

Crime is crime.  There was crime before the drug laws.  There will be crime after if they are repealed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Morale patches won't be far behind.

Who bought morale patches for his officers to put on their external armor carriers?

This guy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The traditional "cop uniform" is a "class B" military style uniform. Alot of the early to mid 20th century uniforms were copied from CAVALRY uniforms of the day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:35:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is one of the LAV's ("tanks") you are so concerned about.

MilSurp that is available at very minimal cost. But continue with your visions of the 1st Panzer blitzkrieging your homestead.

The NSP SWAT teams also make use of a retired ambulance that they converted.  Not exactly a Mobile Oppression Palace.
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If my dad wanted a full Kevlar kit from his department, he could get it. If my dad wanted night vision from his department, he could get it. If he wanted an AR, all he has to do is sign on the dotted line.

But he's only given 50 rounds of ammunition a year to qualify with and carry.

Somehow I think priorities are getting screwed up.

Yep. It's a shame that training isn't as high of priority as gear.

In a perfect, non-GD retardfest world, they would have both.

Given the OP's initial post, I think a pertinent question would be why are departments spending all of their money on paramilitary gear and not on training when training has a greater impact on any given situation than gear?

The obvious answer is that departments have a love affair with "tacticoolness". So while the officer may have better gear, the public impression of police is that that they are well equipped morons, because they lack even a basic level of training.

Before you flame me for being a hater, let me say that my dad and other guys in his department feel the same way - but they'd never say it publically.

Choosing gear over training will be a losing game for law enforcement. Going this route will make every department look like my county sheriffs department, where every deputy is issued a FA M 16 as a trunk gun, but the department won't spend the money for drug testing those deputies. Obvious results are obvious.

I personally think this is the route of the problem...and it appears that both sides would actually agree with this being a problem of training and/or proper application, no matter what the actual tools are.

So...group hug?  
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
No LEO should be allowed to own, carry, or otherwise possess anything that is illegal for Joe citizen to. No exemptions period.

In places like NYC, Shitcago, and CA, cops would be nothing more than meter maids with rape whistles. In Texas cops could only CCW. In VA they if they want to walk around OCing their pistol and AR15, have at it.

If you're worried about this rule having an adverse affected on LEO saftey, repeal your shit gun control laws.

End of thread.  

I love the logic of the ill informed...    

so who handles the thugs who have all the illegal guns? and when did LEO make NFA rules?

when i was a child, i played with lego's and my BB gun...did my little homework and we didn't have things like the internet and my
mother sure as hell wouldnt have allowed me on it this late at night.....

guess things have changed alot now
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
not gonna read it all. probably somebody already said it.

my (your) tax dollars going to keep us all safe. boocoo tax dollars. small towns with tanks, mobile command centers.

also i find it interesting that in some ways modern mil operations are more like large scale drug raids than ole timey war, ala WWII and that cops tend to be more operator-like, especially since 911. sort of a blending of mil and police.

but like i said, the main thing pisses me off is the money spent on things...

Can you show me a dept with a "tank"?

some exasperation sure, but its the thought (money) that counts..see more here

The Nebraska State Patrol has three amphibious eight-wheeled tanks. Acquired almost three years ago, their highest achievement has been helping with a flood last year and with a shooting a couple of weeks ago. Overall, it has been deployed five times. At least, officers love driving them. “They’re fun,” said trooper Art Frerichs to the Lincoln Journal Star in 2010. And the ride, according to Patrol Sgt. Loveless, “is very smooth.”

In Lebanon, Tennessee, a town of less than 30,000 people, Mike Justice, the public safety coordinator, was so eager to accumulate military goods that he used to wake up at 3:00 a.m. so he was the first person logged in at the government’s first-come, first-serve online store. Thanks to his sleepless nights, since 2007, Lebanon has collected $4 million worth of stuff, including tanks, weapons and heavy equipment like bulldozers and truck loaders. Lebanon’s tank, an LAV 150, has been used only “five or six times,” according to Justice. Although it did help save a man who tried to commit suicide, spotting him with the tank’s infrared camera.

Approximately a year ago, in the suburbs of Atlanta, two armed men robbed a convenience store and fled. The local Cobb County Police Department responded quickly. Following the directions of a witness, who saw the two suspects get into an abandoned house, they arrived at the scene, set a perimeter and called the SWAT team. It was the perfect time to roll out the amphibious armored tank, which was acquired to help officers in high-risk situations like this one. After ordering the suspects to surrender – and receiving no response – the SWAT team broke into the house and moved in. The suspects were nowhere to be found.

Take the 50-officer police department in Oxford, Alabama, a town of 20,000 people. It has stockpiled around $3 million of equipment, ranging from M-16s and helmet-mounted infrared goggles to its own armored vehicle, a Puma. In Tupelo, Mississippi, home to 35,000, the local police acquired a helicopter for only $7,500 through the surplus program. The chopper, however, had to be upgraded for $100,000 and it now costs $20,000 a year in maintenance.

In 2011 alone, more than 700,000 items were transferred to police departments for a total value of $500 million. This year, as of May 15, police departments already acquired almost $400 million worth of stuff. Last year’s record would have certainly been shattered if the Arizona Republic hadn’t revealed in early May that a local police department used the program to stockpile equipment – and then sold the gear to others, something that is strictly forbidden. Three weeks after the revelation, the Pentagon decided to partly suspend distribution of surplus material until all agencies could put together an up-to-date inventory of all the stuff they got through the years. A second effort, which gives federal grants to police departments to purchase equipment, is still ongoing, however. According to the Center for Investigative Reporting, since 9/11, the grants have totaled $34 billion.

granted a lot of this stuff is mil surplus, but your taxes still paid for it and it mostly has to be stored and maintained. and many cities are buying rolling command centers and such which arent cheap either

but heck citizen, if  you like paying taxes and you like mil stuff then i guess its a big plus plus....

Still no tanks.
Just saying LAVs, Bearcats, M113s etc are not tanks. Armored vehicle/personnel carriers are not tanks.

I swear 95% of this OMG militarization of the popo, OMG tanks and cargo pockets ...It is really getting over played.
I am beginning to bore with all the panic and drama.

reading is key. you still dont grasp my argument. i dont care if cops dress up like minni mouse or darth vador or ss sondernkomandos. what i do care about is what my tax dollars pay for. i dont wanna pay for obama phones and i dont wanna pay for tactical vehicles for small town police departments so that that can roll up on some homey's crib and break the door down with the attached ram. its not necessary.

Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If my dad wanted a full Kevlar kit from his department, he could get it. If my dad wanted night vision from his department, he could get it. If he wanted an AR, all he has to do is sign on the dotted line.

But he's only given 50 rounds of ammunition a year to qualify with and carry.

Somehow I think priorities are getting screwed up.

Yep. It's a shame that training isn't as high of priority as gear.

In a perfect, non-GD retardfest world, they would have both.

Given the OP's initial post, I think a pertinent question would be why are departments spending all of their money on paramilitary gear and not on training when training has a greater impact on any given situation than gear?

The obvious answer is that departments have a love affair with "tacticoolness". So while the officer may have better gear, the public impression of police is that that they are well equipped morons, because they lack even a basic level of training.

Before you flame me for being a hater, let me say that my dad and other guys in his department feel the same way - but they'd never say it publically.

Choosing gear over training will be a losing game for law enforcement. Going this route will make every department look like my county sheriffs department, where every deputy is issued a FA M 16 as a trunk gun, but the department won't spend the money for drug testing those deputies. Obvious results are obvious.

I personally think this is the route of the problem...and it appears that both sides would actually agree with this being a problem of training and/or proper application, no matter what the actual tools are.

So...group hug?  

Shhhhhh.......  The thin blue line in this thread won't tolerate logic.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top