Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/2/2011 11:00:12 AM EDT

Black student wins fight to hang Confederate flag in dorm window

Posted:
Dec 02, 2011 9:28 AM MST

Updated:
Dec 02, 2011 11:17 AM MST

http://www.wbtv.com/story/16173687/black-student-wins-fight-to-hang-confederate-flag-in-dorm-window

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - 18 year-old Byron Thomas, a North Augusta,
SC, native and  freshman at USCB, is African American. He wants the
right to hang the flag in  his dorm room window.

After multiple complaints, Thomas was told the flag must  come out of the window.

After an appeal by Thomas, along
with national  attention and a review by university lawyers,  Thomas was
told Thursday morning  it had been recommended by counsel that he be
allowed to put the flag back up.  

"It probably is an infringement of his First Amendment  rights," Oblander said.

"The college told me personally I could put the flag back  up and exercise my Freedom of Speech," Thomas said.

"That flag means to me southern heritage. I
love the  south. I've always lived in the south. Everything about the
south, to me, is  great," Thomas said.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:02:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't help but wonder if the outcome would have been different if he was white.

Ironic to say the least.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:03:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I think he just divided by zero.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
God bless him.

The only reason the stars and bars have been deemed racist is because the NAACP started to run out of things to whine about.

To me it has ALWAYS meant States Rights and Southern pride.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I can't help but wonder if the outcome would have been different if he was white.

Ironic to say the least.

very ironic indeed

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ironic to say the least.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ironic to say the least.

I'm curious what would happen if his white next-dorm-neighbor did the same.

Good for that guy though, standing up for himself.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Racist!

Wait nevermind..
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironic to say the least.

very ironic indeed

But now if a white student wants to do it there or at a another university they will be hard put to deny it since a precedent has just been made.  They can show this case to defend their right to display that flag.  If you deny to a white student they can sue for discrimination.  

I agree with the University's decision to allow it but they may have unknownly opened up a can of worms.  I would be surprised if other students do not start doing this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#15]
And THAT my friends, is how you troll in real life. Well done, young man!
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
God bless him.

The only reason the stars and bars have been deemed racist is because the NAACP started to run out of things to whine about.

NAACP? Oh really? And, I thought the KKK using it and people flying it in opposition to civil rights for black people made it a racist symbol to many.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:24:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Damn-Yankees are the only ones offended by the Stars and Bars.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#20]
i'm a yankee.  i'm not offended by the stars and bars at all, but i've gotta admit i sure as fuck don't get this......
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Isn't the "stars and bars" the 1st Confederate flag, i.e. the one modeled off of the U.S. flag?  The description makes no sense for the battle flag or naval jack.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But now if a white student wants to do it there or at a another university they will be hard put to deny it since a precedent has just been made.  They can show this case to defend their right to display that flag.  If you deny to a white student they can sue for discrimination.  

It doesn't look like any precedent has been set. It sounds like the school just had their lawyers look at the issue, and they recommended he be allowed to hang it. No legal precedent has been set so it couldn't really be used in a legitimate court case.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
God bless him.

I once knew a black guy from SC who told me he wished the south had won the civil war. About the slavery issue, he said they would've ended it anyway, but the south winning would probably mean that we wouldn't have such a huge Federal government now.

I hugged him.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You really think Nugent is taken aback by the Rebel Flag?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I wonder why?

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i'm a yankee.  i'm not offended by the stars and bars at all, but i've gotta admit i sure as fuck don't get this......

I've hi-lighted the connected portions of your post.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Confederate battle flag is gay.

Bonnie Blue all the way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
God bless him.

NAACP? Oh really? And, I thought the KKK using it and people flying it in opposition to civil rights for black people made it a racist symbol to many.

Like a lot of things it did in fact get dragged into that. Remember, the KKK burned CROSSES but you don't see the cross to be a sign of racism.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#29]
i'll just throw this out here:

I took that picture a month or so ago here locally. He goes by the nick name "Black Cowboy" and he IS a cowboy.

His great great grand dad fought for the South in the war.

eta: oh and he predictably hates the KKK not only for what they stand for but also for corrupting his flags image.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I saw a thug rap video a while back with rebel flags as their backdrop.  I think the southern rappers have begun adopting the flag.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I once knew a black guy from SC who told me he wished the south had won the civil war. About the slavery issue, he said they would've ended it anyway, but the south winning would probably mean that we wouldn't have such a huge Federal government now.

I hugged him.

I met a similar black guy in the shipyard in VA several years ago.

We both figured slavery would never have made the 20th century because of technology.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I saw a thug rap video a while back with rebel flags as their backdrop.  I think the southern rappers have begun adopting the flag.

i'm thinking it might be a visual version of the N word. you rob the KKK types of its power if you fly it from the back of your ride...yo.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Good for him
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Clayton that you?

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/mr357_photos/IMG109.jpg

I took that picture a month or so ago here locally. He goes by the nick name "Black Cowboy" and he IS a cowboy.

eta: oh and he predictably hates the KKK not only for what they stand for but also for corrupting his flags image.

Is he signalling that he's in distress?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder why?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVNKliYZbpwT-WB1qz1owTBcG8a0NN38_OYki9U4YNy8w8FdDG

That band sucked.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Bless this young man, and HK Edgerton too.  Go read up on him.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

THIS,  southern man don't need them around anyhow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat,
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't look like any precedent has been set. It sounds like the school just had their lawyers look at the issue, and they recommended he be allowed to hang it. No legal precedent has been set so it couldn't really be used in a legitimate court case.

But the school would be hard pressed justifying denying another student the same right to do it.  It could shown that they are picking and choosing who can display the flag.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Confederate battle flag is AWESOME.
Bonnie Blue is OK.

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Speaking of the KKK,

earlier today I was at the hardware store and someone told me they get all warm and fuzzy around this time of year. Then he said he hoped we'd get snow because he wanted to see a white Christmas.

"You want to see a white Christmas, huh?" I shot back. "So does the Ku Klux Klan. You some kind Grand Dragon or something?  I hate snow!"

The look on his face told me I had said the right thing.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#44]
A few years back there was a big lifted redneck truck on base that had a confederate flag sticker in the back window. The base commander saw it at the chow hall and flipped out. Found out who it belonged to and ordered them to report to his office first thing monday morning. When the kid arrived the base commander didn't know what to do, the kid was black lol.

He ended up being allowed to keep the flag sticker on his truck when base legal got involved.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Ironic to say the least.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat,

Look at the flag. It's upside down.

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Confederate battle flag is gay.

Bonnie Blue all the way.

Hurrah hurrah, for southern rights hurrah..

Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue flag that bears a single star !

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Heritage not hate.  

Some people get it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn you are right.

Good eyes.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top